Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Rikon makes a really excellent low speed 8" grinder and with the right wheels, it runs very cool. No need for all the extra mess/expense of a wet grinder, though that may be better for kitchen knives, idk. I just sharpen my knives with stones. The Oneway wolverine jigs are really great, but I have no idea if that is necessary for that you are doing.

I've been eying up that Rikon grinder since this discussion started, because on Sunday I spent way too long putting a bevel onto a restored antique plane iron, being too chicken to take that risk on my janky, home-made tool rest and high speed grinder. It's like $350 but it's not clear whether that includes the grinding wheels. If it does, jesus that might be a good purchase (two weeks until my trip that takes me near Lee Valley).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Dewalt is coming out with a 20” flexvolt chain saw, this thing looks like a beast.

https://www.acmetools.com/dewalt-60...edium=affiliate

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Johnny Truant posted:

I check my city's craigslist almost every morning as kind of a coffee-ritual, and I am seriously amazed at the poo poo people put up there.

No one wants to pay $20 for a baby crib with no walls and 2/4 feet broken, why would you waste your time to photograph it then create this post? No, your ~10 year old blue Ryobi router is not just $10 cheaper than a brand new, more HP, model. And I definitely wouldn't pay $50 for a broken dishwasher you placed outside your garage a week ago :psyduck:

plus all the freaky people went to Fetlife after FOSTA-SESTA

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Calidus posted:

Dewalt is coming out with a 20” flexvolt chain saw, this thing looks like a beast.

Looks like it addresses people's main complaints with the 16" saw. This one has 2 bolts to hold the bar instead of the plastic twist thing, and has large sharp metal felling spikes instead of plastic ridges on the front of the saw. They claim it makes like 20% more power than their last saw which would make this a competitor for best battery chainsaw out there, bar none.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Drill press repair and clean up is going well. You can still see the marks from the original machining process in this first pic.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

CommonShore posted:

I've been eying up that Rikon grinder since this discussion started, because on Sunday I spent way too long putting a bevel onto a restored antique plane iron, being too chicken to take that risk on my janky, home-made tool rest and high speed grinder. It's like $350 but it's not clear whether that includes the grinding wheels. If it does, jesus that might be a good purchase (two weeks until my trip that takes me near Lee Valley).

Do not use the wheels that come with the Rikon. Those things are death trap harbor freight quality. Spring for a Norton or go CBN (go with cbn, much less risk of overheating the steel, fewer sparks)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

NomNomNom posted:

Do not use the wheels that come with the Rikon. Those things are death trap harbor freight quality. Spring for a Norton or go CBN (go with cbn, much less risk of overheating the steel, fewer sparks)

Gotcha, so it's in truth a $700 grinder.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Calidus posted:

If my 16" didn't handle everything I've thrown at it I'd totally buy one. That chainsaw is one of my favorite things to use.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Uncle Enzo posted:

Looks like it addresses people's main complaints with the 16" saw. This one has 2 bolts to hold the bar instead of the plastic twist thing, and has large sharp metal felling spikes instead of plastic ridges on the front of the saw. They claim it makes like 20% more power than their last saw which would make this a competitor for best battery chainsaw out there, bar none.

If it can compete with a 50cc saw like they say ga drat. I get a solid 45 mins on my msa220, if I could get something bigger and as quiet I'm very interested

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I have almost no need for it, my polesaw handles most things well enough but it does sound really good.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

CommonShore posted:

For wood turning tools I'd go for the benchtop polisher instead, it's slow but the longer shafts will be significantly more useful to work around for the larger tools.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Anybody know if it's free to attend the National Hardware Show in Vegas? I registered on their website but don't see anything about cost to attend, just the cost to exhibit.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tool-ish - anyone have any preferred waterproof boots? Literally only going to be used for wading around in conditions ranging from just mud to about six inches of muddy water. Whatever set Shopper's Supply had just broke after less than a year and while I'm sure they were cheap, I'm not sure if a $150 Dunlop Purofort is going to last longer before splitting due to age than a $30 Dunlop Chesapeake.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Tool-ish - anyone have any preferred waterproof boots? Literally only going to be used for wading around in conditions ranging from just mud to about six inches of muddy water. Whatever set Shopper's Supply had just broke after less than a year and while I'm sure they were cheap, I'm not sure if a $150 Dunlop Purofort is going to last longer before splitting due to age than a $30 Dunlop Chesapeake.

I assume you're referring to some rubber muck boots?

I love the pair of Lacrosse Alpha (cant recall the exact model) that Ive had the last ... 8 years? They're great but the only thing I would change would be a composite protective toe or something similar. They're still waterproof after all these years. Ensuring they have a good sole material as well for grip so they get traction but aren't deadly on hard wet surfaces either. Mine are lined with neoprene which wore out at the heel a few years ago because they're 1/2 size too small. I use them for all sorts of things. Upland hunting if things are real mucky. Around the yard stuff if I'm in the dirt and its wet out or need to wander into the creek. Mine feel like they're about up to my lower calf but something that goes over the calf but not quite knee height would be nice for any sort of deeper wading.

The only other boots I might replace them with would be some XtraTuffs. Out here in the pacific northwest, they're all over the place, and especially in Alaska. Its like the only muck boot I saw while up there.

With rubber boots, I do feel like nicer boots made to last are going to cost more. More durable rubber, better seams, better quality control, better shank, better tread etc. There are probably some more affordable options but ~$100 for a good pair of rubber boots is the sweet spot for me.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

IOwnCalculus posted:

I’ve had good results with xtratuf, Muck, and Tretorn.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I found a couple vacuum switches in the $50-70 range but they all only have a single tool plug. I could add run a outlet/splitter off that single plug since I won’t be using multiple tools at the same time. I have also seen various remote control options. Remote control gives me more control but then I actually have to remember to press the button.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

The iVac system (specifically the tool sensors) is what you're looking for.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Verman posted:

I assume you're referring to some rubber muck boots?

Yep. Only wear them when it's properly wet/muddy which is on average once or twice a month (and usually for an hour or so at most), making the failure of those cheap boots after a year even more shameful.

LightRailTycoon posted:

I’ve had good results with xtratuf, Muck, and Tretorn.

Thank you both for the recommendations, now I actually have a good point to start from.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I like my xtratuf if I'm getting really wet, muck if I'm only getting kinda wet. Go with the xtratuf imo you probably won't regret it. Like Verman said its all you see in places where people are doing work where its wet

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ridgid still makes a solid rolling toolbox set, right? DeWalt & Husky feel kinda flimsy, Packout stuff is $$$, and the new Ryobi stuff looks stout but is untested

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Ridgid still makes a solid rolling toolbox set, right? DeWalt & Husky feel kinda flimsy, Packout stuff is $$$, and the new Ryobi stuff looks stout but is untested

The last Rigids I saw on display seems pretty decent. So ar ethe Harbor Freight/US General boxes for the most part. I'd cross shop if you're close to an HF.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yep. Only wear them when it's properly wet/muddy which is on average once or twice a month (and usually for an hour or so at most), making the failure of those cheap boots after a year even more shameful.

Thank you both for the recommendations, now I actually have a good point to start from.

I really like the shorty ankle height deck boot xtratufs, if you aren’t dealing with deep wet.

LightRailTycoon fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 19, 2022

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Alaskan moccasins (XtraTuf) are the way to go. I worked on boats for 8 years, and wore them nearly every day. I use them as snow boots now.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
drat. It.

Direct Tools Outlet has Ridgid thickness planers listed and 20% off Presidents Day sale......but only in store pickup.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CommonShore posted:

There are so many dumb and weird stories on these stupid pages. Also, why on earth do these people seem to have so many "Brand new in box" DeWalt batteries for sale? Shoplifing? There are loving heaps of them there.

They buy tool bundles and split the batteries out.

I'm looking at some Milwaukee M12 tools and Home depot has specials on the bare tool + battery for cheaper than just the bare tool itself.

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time
Hey does anyone have that link to the place where you could get cheap(er) wallboard/pegboard? I had the tab open for months and never saved it and now the wife wants to get some for tool organizing

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I must share the single silliest tool I have ever seen.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/home/personal-accessories/carabiners-and-keyrings/56683-rimroller?item=99W6846

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

:lol: @ that sales pitch

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

I'm.... Okay, I'm confused. I looked through the pictures and now I am even more confused. :psyduck:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Lot of Canadians hiding prizes under the lip of a paper coffee cup?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Sash! posted:

Those tricky Canucks are up to something.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sash! posted:

Tim Hortons roll up the rim to win. Yes.

To a lesser extend Country Style Donuts' "turn up a winner".

Its "more sanitary" because lots of people would use their teeth to do it since fingers aren't good enough.

Then they would tear out the small piece that says they won (whatever bullshit) and hand off the slobbered on piece of coffee cup to some schlub making 15 cents an hour and demand whatever free bullshit they won.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Soylent Majority posted:

Hey does anyone have that link to the place where you could get cheap(er) wallboard/pegboard? I had the tab open for months and never saved it and now the wife wants to get some for tool organizing

I’ve had this tab open on my phone for literal years and still haven’t bought any ha: https://cheappegboard.com/ but I’m pretty sure someone linked it in this thread.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I used my new Knipex Wrenchplier thingies for the first time in a project yesterday and they are even more amazing than you'd think.
I need to get a second one, then I'll be unstoppable. (Had to put two nuts together which was a bit hard with just one wrench, but I managed)
Seriously, they sounded great on paper but are even better in practise.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

powderific posted:

I’ve had this tab open on my phone for literal years and still haven’t bought any ha: https://cheappegboard.com/ but I’m pretty sure someone linked it in this thread.

Yup. That's the one.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

I used my new Knipex Wrenchplier thingies for the first time in a project yesterday and they are even more amazing than you'd think.
I need to get a second one, then I'll be unstoppable. (Had to put two nuts together which was a bit hard with just one wrench, but I managed)
Seriously, they sounded great on paper but are even better in practise.

They look like they'd be nice to have, but how much better can they be than a $10 crescent wrench?

(Smarmily asking in the hope you'll convince me to spend more money.)

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Main difference is that, even one handed the knipex put actual pressure on the flats of a nut, whereas the crescent wrench cannot. There are extremely few scenarios where the adjustable wrench can be better and usually its about clearance. I will reach out for the tiny knipex first 90% of the time the other 10% I reach for the the midsized one. I only use the larger and/or other tools if the knipex isn't a good fit after trying it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Bob Mundon posted:

They look like they'd be nice to have, but how much better can they be than a $10 crescent wrench?

(Smarmily asking in the hope you'll convince me to spend more money.)

You can carry literally a whole set of crescent wrenches in one of these. Even the 180 I got replaces more wrenches than most of my sets have.
The tool actually inherently grips harder when you try to turn, meaning you pretty much can't torque out.
It allows for something like a ratchet mechanismn in your hand.
It is an incredibly strong grip because of the mechanismn.

Only real downside is the fact that you might need a bit more clearance depending on which size you get. Which is a good excuse to get all (or at least a few).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SEKCobra posted:

The tool actually inherently grips harder when you try to turn, meaning you pretty much can't torque out.
It allows for something like a ratchet mechanismn in your hand.
It is an incredibly strong grip because of the mechanismn.

Only real downside is the fact that you might need a bit more clearance

everything reminds me of her :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Hadn't thought about pressure preventing camout and slipping, absolutely sold.

Are any of the off brands decent, or is it pretty much knipex or bust for that design?