Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

down1nit posted:

I got a GH3.

I love you guys.

http://i.imgur.com/dsBQE0Q.jpg

Neat! Do you have some video? Really curious how good it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Popelmon posted:

Neat! Do you have some video? Really curious how good it looks.

Only what was recorded on Twitch via 4G but when I bring the laptop home it'll be much better!

Here's a horrible quality clip toward the end of the night though: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/128349686?t=03h36m58s

She won the door prize at a blacksmith meetup, and got a "thousand year old" knife. It was rusty and pitted as gently caress and she ground away the outer layers of rust to see if she could analyze the make up of the blade. She found a (she thinks) non-ferrous material forge welded into the handle, which is really odd but not unpossible. We have to stream using our cell phone plan for now so the twitch stream is a little hard to watch, but she's gotten a pretty regular audience. I set the laptop to record the stream so hopefully the quality will improve when we upload that to youtube this weekend.

The GH3 still shows all the goings-on when I tap the screen to spot focus, or when i use the zoom, but no one except me seems to mind (so far!). Also I could just switch to manual focus next time.

Thank you Popelmon, you've made me a happy dude.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 15, 2017

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Have any of you messed with silkypix enough to know if the film simulations are exactly what you get with in camera jpgs? I had tried it several months ago but didn't use it much because I found it to be a pretty bad experience but I am wondering if any post processing programs with raws will actually get stuff like ACROS to look exactly like a camera jpg.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is $500 a good price on a good condition X-T1? I've wanted one for awhile and I can't find one cheaper...

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If its good condition yeah.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

whatever7 posted:

If its good condition yeah.

Nice, thank you.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

New firmware coming to the X-T2 and X-Pro2. The changes will come in two phases: one in late March and another in May:

quote:

X-T2 version 2.00 & X-Pro2 version 3.00 - due late March 2017

1. Shooting RAW in Bracketing and Advanced Filters
The update enables you to use the RAW format when shooting not only in AE Bracketing but also in other Bracketing modes (ISO, Dynamic Range, White Balance, Film Simulaitons) and also in Advanced Filter modes.
2. Extended ISO 125 and 160 selectable
The update adds ISO125 and ISO160 to extended ISO levels available.
3. Programmable long exposure of up to 15 minutes
Long exposure in the T mode currently goes only up to 30 seconds. The update will allow users to extend it up to 15 minutes.
4. ON/OFF for 1/3-step shutter speed adjustment (X-T2 only - already in X-Pro2)
The update allows you to turn off the Command Dial's function to adjust shutter speed by 1/3 steps in order to prevent unintended adjustments.
5. Full-range ISO adjustments with the Command Dial (X-T2 only)
With the update, set the ISO "A" position to "Command" to adjust ISO sensitivity across the full range, including extended ISOs, with the Front Command Dial.
6. "AUTO" setting added for the minimum shutter speed in the ISO Auto setting
The update adds an AUTO option for the minimum shutter speed in the ISO Auto setting, that allows the camera to automatically define the minimum shutter speed according to the focal length of the lens attached.
7. Faster "Face Detection AF"
The update enables the use of Phase Detection AF for faster performance in Face Detection AF.
8. Improved in-focus indication in the AF-C mode
The update reduces focus hunting in the AF-C mode, making it easier to track a subject.
9. Addition of a smaller Focus Point size in Single Point AF
The update adds a smaller Focus Point size in Single Point AF, bringing the total number of available sizes to six. The new smallest size facilitates pin-point focusing.
10. Addition of "AF Point Display" (X-Pro2 only - already on X-T2)
With the update, you can choose to have AF Points constantly displayed in Zone AF and Wide / Tracking AF, making it easier to track a subject.
11. Addition of "AF-C Custom Setting" (X-Pro2 only - already on X-T2)
The update adds "AF-C Custom Setting" for specifying focus-tracking characteristics. Choose from five presets according to your subject's type of movements.
12. Addition of "Portrait / Landscape AF Mode Switching" (X-T2 only)
The update allows you to specify separate AF mode and AF point settings for portrait orientation and landscape orientation.
13. Change of focus frame position while enlarging it
The update allows you to move the position of focus frame while enlarging it in Single Point in the AF-S mode or in the Manual Focus
14. Activation of the Eye Sensor in video recording (X-T2 only)
The update allows you to use the Eye Sensor during video recording to automatically switch between EVF and LCD.
15. Change of ISO sensitivity during video recording (X-T2 only)
The update allows you to change ISO setting during video recording.
16. Re-autofocusing in video recording
With the update, half-press the Shutter Release button or press the button assigned to "AF-ON" function during video recording to re-do autofocusing.
17. Display live histogram during video recording (X-T2 only)
The update allows you to display a live histogram during video recording.
18. Optimization of external microphone's input level (X-T2 only)
The update optimizes external microphone's input level (lower limit revised from -12dB to 20dB) to reduce white noise when an external microphone with preamp is connected.
19. Addition of "Eye Sensor + LCD Image Display" in the View Mode
The update gives the "Eye Sensor + LCD Image Display" option in the View Mode that allows you to shoot through the viewfinder and check images on the LCD, just as you would with an SLR.
20. Shorter EVF display time-lag (X-Pro2 only - already in X-T2)
The update shortens EVF's display time-lag in the AF-C mode so that you will not miss a photo opportunity.
21. Constant "Dual" mode display (X-T2 only)
With the update, the small window in the Dual mode stays on even when you half-press the shutter release button.
22. Automatic vertical GUI for LCD (X-T2 only)
With the update, when you hold the camera in the portrait orientation, the camera will automatically display the GUI on the LCD in the same orientation.
23. Name Custom Settings
The update allows you to assign a specific name to Custom Settings 1 - 7.
24. Copyright information in EXIF data
The update allows you to register the photographer's name and the copyright holder's name in advance so that the camera automatically adds the information to EXIF data for each image.
25. Voice Memo function
The update enable you to record 30-second "Voice Memo" clips in the Playback mode.
26. Extended AE Bracketing
The update extends AE Bracketing from the current 3 frames +/-2EV to up to 9 frames +/-3EV.
27. Addition of "Shoot Without Card" mode
With the update, you can have the "Shoot Without Card" mode turned OFF so that the camera can not shoot when there is no SD card inserted.

X-T2 version 2.10 & X-Pro2 version 3.10 - late May 2017

28. Support for computer tethering via Wi-Fi (X-T2 only)
The update adds support for computer tethering via Wi-Fi.
29. Addition of "All" AF mode (X-T2 only)
With the update, select "All" in the AF mode so that you can select the AF mode and Focus Area size by only using the Command Dial.
30. Function extension for "Shutter AF" and "Shutter AE" (X-T2 only)
With the update, you can specify different settings for AF-S and AF-C in "Shutter AF" and for AF-S / MF and AF-C in "Shutter AE."
31. Addition of "-6" and "-7" to EVF's brightness setting
Additional options of "-6" and "-7" to the "EVF Brightness" setting so that, even in an extremely low-light condition, the brightness of the EVF does not distract you from shooting.
32. Switchover of the main and sub displays in the Dual Display mode (X-T2 only)
The update allows you to switch between the main and sub displays in the Dual Display mode.
33. Function assignment to the Rear Command Dial
With the update, you can assign a specific function to be activated when the Rear Command Dial is pressed.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
God drat there are some really good improvements in that list.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Now to see if the X-T20 gets the same updates later.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

quote:

3. Programmable long exposure of up to 15 minutes
Long exposure in the T mode currently goes only up to 30 seconds. The update will allow users to extend it up to 15 minutes.
That's awesome. Really hope the bring that to the X-T1 as well. No more using TriggerTrap to control exposure times for long exposures.

quote:

26. Extended AE Bracketing
The update extends AE Bracketing from the current 3 frames +/-2EV to up to 9 frames +/-3EV.
Nice to see this finally go in even though I don't really need it. People have been asking for this for years.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Support for computer tethering via Wi-Fi (X-T2 only)

There is no way this will work reliably, is there?

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Fuji rules. It feels good to own a product that the manufacturer cares about supporting and improving.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
God drat it, there are at lease 5-6 "OMG" features in those updates.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

quote:

6. "AUTO" setting added for the minimum shutter speed in the ISO Auto setting
The update adds an AUTO option for the minimum shutter speed in the ISO Auto setting, that allows the camera to automatically define the minimum shutter speed according to the focal length of the lens attached.
fucken cool

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Hell yes. 7, 8 and 9 will be huge improvements for me they all own. This is why I didn't go with Sony for mirrorless - actually updating features rather than making GBS threads out new bodies.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

bobfather posted:

Now to see if the X-T20 gets the same updates later.

I doubt it, they need to differentiate them somehow.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

How's the market for the fujifilm kit lenses? I got quotes from B&H for them, but they're lower than I'd like. Should I go with it or try moving them on craigslist?

Specifically looking to unload the 18-55 2.8-4 and the xc 55-230.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

The going rate of the 18-55 seems to be $300~ from what I've seen on places like the FM Forum. It should be easy enough to sell since it's actually a good lens.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was going to say 150 but ebay completed auctions show $250 to 350. Maybe I should sell mine?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

If my bonus is as big this year as I suspect it might be, I might sell my GX85 and lenses and finally go all in on Fuji. I just spent a week in Panama taking pictures of all sorts of stuff, and the fine jpegs are disappointing. So many artifacts - and that's just cropping, never mind pixel peeping. And I've realized the one thing I really don't enjoy about taking pictures is sitting in front of a computer tweaking raw files in lightroom.
I got a couple of really good shots of a coati (little central american raccoony type thing - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3462132&pagenumber=33#post470600802). It's in pretty dense jungle, so there's quite a lot of shadow. I played around with bumping darks and tweaking colours and all that, and I prefer with the exposure I got, with just a crop.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Mest0r posted:

The going rate of the 18-55 seems to be $300~ from what I've seen on places like the FM Forum. It should be easy enough to sell since it's actually a good lens.

I listed it for $200 and all the interest seems to be in my listing for the 35mm f2. I guess I'll give it a few more days.

zacpol
Jan 11, 2010

I'm taking a trip to Asia soon and I bought an Olympus OM-D EM-5 because it has image stabilization, weather sealing, and cost about $450 with a 12-50mm lens on KEH. However, I've been playing around with it and the pictures are far more pixelated/lower quality than those I take with my iPhone. I have 14 days to return or exchange, so I'm wondering how important image stabilization and weather sealing are, and if there's a better option around the $500 price point used? I used cameradecision to help make my decision, but I'm skeptical about the methodology they use to rate cameras.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

zacpol posted:

I'm taking a trip to Asia soon and I bought an Olympus OM-D EM-5 because it has image stabilization, weather sealing, and cost about $450 with a 12-50mm lens on KEH. However, I've been playing around with it and the pictures are far more pixelated/lower quality than those I take with my iPhone. I have 14 days to return or exchange, so I'm wondering how important image stabilization and weather sealing are, and if there's a better option around the $500 price point used? I used cameradecision to help make my decision, but I'm skeptical about the methodology they use to rate cameras.

Post some of these pics and make sure the EXIF is available.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zacpol posted:

Are you confusing over-the-top noise reduction with quality? What do you mean pixelated.

zacpol
Jan 11, 2010

whatever7 posted:

Are you confusing over-the-top noise reduction with quality? What do you mean pixelated.

I don't have an SD card reader for my laptop, so I can't post the pictures at the moment. I turned off noise reduction, but it didn't make a difference. The main problem is text is blurry - I tried taking a picture of the lens cover which has "Olympus" written on it, and the text was illegible. What's interesting though is that as I zoomed in and out it would briefly come into focus. Additionally, when I zoom in on a picture when I'm reviewing them, there's obvious pixellation even at 2x, although maybe that's due to the picture format? There's a ring on the lens for zooming which works fine, and a second smaller ring in front of it which turns but doesn't seem to produce any effect.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

uhh that's the focus ring, text will need to be in focus to be clear.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Finger Prince posted:

If my bonus is as big this year as I suspect it might be, I might sell my GX85 and lenses and finally go all in on Fuji. I just spent a week in Panama taking pictures of all sorts of stuff, and the fine jpegs are disappointing. So many artifacts - and that's just cropping, never mind pixel peeping. And I've realized the one thing I really don't enjoy about taking pictures is sitting in front of a computer tweaking raw files in lightroom.
I got a couple of really good shots of a coati (little central american raccoony type thing - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3462132&pagenumber=33#post470600802). It's in pretty dense jungle, so there's quite a lot of shadow. I played around with bumping darks and tweaking colours and all that, and I prefer with the exposure I got, with just a crop.

Not sure about Panasonic but Olympus has a Super Fine quality setting that is hidden in some menu. It's really stupid but the out of camera JPGs look much, much better with that setting.

zacpol posted:

I don't have an SD card reader for my laptop, so I can't post the pictures at the moment. I turned off noise reduction, but it didn't make a difference. The main problem is text is blurry - I tried taking a picture of the lens cover which has "Olympus" written on it, and the text was illegible. What's interesting though is that as I zoomed in and out it would briefly come into focus. Additionally, when I zoom in on a picture when I'm reviewing them, there's obvious pixellation even at 2x, although maybe that's due to the picture format? There's a ring on the lens for zooming which works fine, and a second smaller ring in front of it which turns but doesn't seem to produce any effect.

Olympus cameras can be a bit confusing when you are new to them. Maybe this tutorial will help you to get the most out of your camera. It is for the E-M5 II but most of the menus and general principles are the same :).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na5D0VFI1AQ

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 23, 2017

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think you need to spend a few weeks to learn to use a system camera first. If the return window bother you, just return it and get an used body. You should start out with a used kit anyway.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

for the em5 also google how to turn on the super control panel, it makes camera use a lot easier, I don't think that'll be included in an em5-ii tricks & tips. I don't know about the 12-50, the 12-40 basically cannibalized it, but the pixalation may just be the bookah for that lens, I can't search flickr at work to confirm and don't have my shots readily accessible with some examples of such bookah with the 100-300 panna mk1 (I probably deleted them all anyway due to lack of good focus).

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

zacpol posted:

You're obviously doing something wrong or the camera is broken/set up incorrectly.

try a factory reset

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

zacpol posted:

I don't have an SD card reader for my laptop, so I can't post the pictures at the moment.

You should have gotten a USB cable with the camera (Olympus uses special ones for some stupid reason), so you can get the photos off that way.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Make sure the camera has autofocus on?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Yeah this sounds like you simply aren't focusing on whatever you are trying to picture or maybe your camera is set to take in very low quality jpegs.

Also if you are ever interested in continuing in photography take pictures in RAW format, you'll thank yourself in a year or so when you can revisit them and actually have the ability to pull good pictures from the files.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
How big of a deal is it if my new to me X-T1 has the bowing door issue? Seller didn't mention it, it's not terrible but it's definitely happening. Not sure if I should just chill out or try to send it back.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

It happens to every X-T1 and Fuji will charge you $200+ to repair it. If you don't use the ports just duct tape the thing shut to maintain weather sealing.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Popelmon posted:

Not sure about Panasonic but Olympus has a Super Fine quality setting that is hidden in some menu. It's really stupid but the out of camera JPGs look much, much better with that setting.

I'll have another look. I was sure my old GX7 had a super fine setting, but couldn't find it on the GX85 so I put it down to probably losing my mind and left it at six squares and an arrow symbol (fine).

Now that I know what sort of budget I have for a new camera, it looks like I'll be deciding between an X-T20 or a discounted/used X-T1.
I don't care about video, I usually shoot with center point auto focus, or let the camera figure out I'm looking at a landscape, or manual for macro, so I don't really think I need maximum auto focus performance. This makes me think an X-T1 would be the better choice. Not to mention a used one now can be had for a good price. Would I be correct in assuming the low light and DR performance (noise, mainly) would be better with the X-T1 as well?
In the X-T20 corner, the overall newness, improved engine, and improved performance in general has its appeal.
The only hangup I have left with switching to fuji is being spoiled by IBIS, especially for hand held macro stuff. I'm kind of worried I'll have to go back to the days of gorilla pods and 2 second timers for anything in less than ideal light.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

LiquidRain posted:

It happens to every X-T1 and Fuji will charge you $200+ to repair it. If you don't use the ports just duct tape the thing shut to maintain weather sealing.

gently caress, was hoping I wouldn't need to put duct tape on my 500 dollar camera :/ Never had to do that on any other body I owned. Makes me want to send it back and just get a new XT10.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

call to action posted:

gently caress, was hoping I wouldn't need to put duct tape on my 500 dollar camera :/ Never had to do that on any other body I owned. Makes me want to send it back and just get a new XT10.

Get some black vinyl tape, it goes well with the XT1. My XT1 doors works fine but I always black out the model name and logos to make it more low profile.

edit: eglobalcentral used to have cheap gray market new XT1 body. I guess they have sold out the stock.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 26, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, cheapest new bodies I've seen are $800. Guess I should just suck it up, at least the images look great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Anyone know any good telephoto lenses for Sony (100mm and greater?)