Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slaine
Feb 26, 2001
Watching Wlad fight makes me wonder if heavyweights were ever any good, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

wlad gonna run to america away from del boy innit

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:lol: shannon

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

It's actually the best Klitschko fight I've seen since ehhhh, Sam Peter 1

Shear the Sheep
Dec 31, 2008
Wlad got hit by a clean 1-2 and said gently caress this let's end this farce and knocked him out. Also Briggs trying to gain entrance to the ring was awesome.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
A rare great performance by Wladimir Klitschko. Weird because Pulev was a lot more dangerous than Wlad's typical fare, yet he's usually content to carry those inferior guys until the late rounds, whereas against Pulev he was looking to end it early.

Mr. Belpit posted:

What's this thread's opinion on Wilder anyway? Like his chances if he gets a fight with Wlad next year. I've never seen him fight.

He looks like a modern heavyweight at 6'7, and has a 100% KO ratio at 32-0, but I honestly think some of his recent fights have been fixed, he proved to be pretty chinny in the amateurs, and he's stick-thin at 6'7 and only 225 pounds. He needs to gain at least 10 more pounds, if not 15-20. He turned pro at 207 pounds though so he has slowly been putting on weight. I think Anthony Joshua is a much better prospect, personally.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
someone in #mma pointed out that the reason pulev's stance looked so weird is that its the same stance that nick diaz uses and on a second watch, i can't unsee it

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011

Yuriy posted:

someone in #mma pointed out that the reason pulev's stance looked so weird is that its the same stance that nick diaz uses and on a second watch, i can't unsee it

Now this got me thinking, does anybody use Diazes tactic in boxing? Not the trashtalking but te pitterpattet punching that eventually leads to tko?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

thehappyprince posted:

yeah channel 5 are also showing afolabi vs hernandez too which should be awesome.

I don't really know either boxer but thanks for this. I always want to watch boxing when I can and its a title fight

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

TheCool69 posted:

Now this got me thinking, does anybody use Diazes tactic in boxing? Not the trashtalking but te pitterpattet punching that eventually leads to tko?

iirc no one in boxing has ever used volume punching. pretty revolutionary stuff.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

TheCool69 posted:

Celestino Caballero looks kind of Diaz-esque in that respect.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

There aren't really any active volume punchers today come to think of it. Margarito and Williams in their primes could put out 100+ punches a round consistently. I guess Pacquiao might count, but I still think of him as more of a boxer-puncher than a volume guy necessarily.

Speaking of, I'm predicting a Manny KO this weekend. Algieri looked good outboxing Ruslan Provodnikov, but it wasn't by a super wide margin and there are still people who feel Provo should have won that fight. Manny doesn't move like Ruslan does; he's much better at staying in range even against moving targets. The only guy who has ever been effective against the way Manny fights is Marquez, because Marquez is willing to take a punch to land the better one. I'm not sure Algieri has the same kind of mentality and I'm not sure he'd survive that kind of tactic if he tried it either. Even Marquez got dropped three times against Manny the first time they fought and it's arguably a miracle their rivalry didn't end right there.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 17, 2014

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Juan Duaz was the Platonic ideal of a volume puncher iirc but I wouldn't exactly call him active.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

The Ninth Layer posted:

There aren't really any active volume punchers today come to think of it. Margarito and Williams in their primes could put out 100+ punches a round consistently. I guess Pacquiao might count, but I still think of him as more of a boxer-puncher than a volume guy necessarily.

Speaking of, I'm predicting a Manny KO this weekend. Algieri looked good outboxing Ruslan Provodnikov, but it wasn't by a super wide margin and there are still people who feel Provo should have won that fight. Manny doesn't move like Ruslan does; he's much better at staying in range even against moving targets. The only guy who has ever been effective against the way Manny fights is Marquez, because Marquez is willing to take a punch to land the better one. I'm not sure Algieri has the same kind of mentality and I'm not sure he'd survive that kind of tactic if he tried it either. Even Marquez got dropped three times against Manny the first time they fought and it's arguably a miracle their rivalry didn't end right there.

Algeri probably did win against Provodnikov (I'll forever be 'I could go either way') but he is going to have to kill Manny-and even then it would be iffy-to beat Pacquiao in Asia.

EDIT: The undercard is actually pretty interesting. If Lomachenko beats his opponent than it opens up all sorts of possibilities, especially Nicholas Walters or Evgeny Gradovich, but of which would loving own. And it will be interesting to see if Jessie Vargas is capable of winning outside of Nevada and Antonio DeMarco is probably just the right level of opponent to see how good he might be. Lastly, can't have a boxing event in Macau without Zou Shiming :toot:

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 18, 2014

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I was actually surprised to see that Algieri is only an eight-to-one underdog, not because he's a bad fighter or anything but because, as you mentioned, he's fighting in Macau which might as well be Manny's backyard.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God
Al Haymon is going to have him fighting bums until the end of time, but I think Leo Santa Cruz is absolutely a straight volume puncher. I doubt he'd have success at higher weight classes (which is probably why he's being handled the way he is), but that son of a bitch throws 1000 punches in his sleep.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Calzaghe was a Diaz in his own wishy washy way.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
So now that as few people as possible still care Bob Arum claims a joint HBO/Showtime PPV featuring Manny and Floyd might happen. It would supposedly be put on at Cowboys Stadium.

e: poo poo I'm slow and didn't think of the angles, this is probably just Arum trying to sell a few more PPV buys of the Algieri fight isn't it?

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 19, 2014

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Grittybeard posted:

So now that as few people as possible still care Bob Arum claims a joint HBO/Showtime PPV featuring Manny and Floyd might happen. It would supposedly be put on at Cowboys Stadium.

e: poo poo I'm slow and didn't think of the angles, this is probably just Arum trying to sell a few more PPV buys of the Algieri fight isn't it?

Hell, Showtime might just be desperate enough the way things are going that Arum could get one over on them.

The real problem is that the matchup so uncompelling-in this case it's probably worse that Algeri is so untested as opposed to, say, Mike Alvarado or pre Sadam Ali-Luis Abregu in that there's really nothing to sell him on in terms of what he actually may or may not do in the ring. He will execute his basic gameplan because he does that very well but will he able to constantly snap Pac's head back with the jab and cleanly spin out like he did against Ruslan? And his "best win" was based so much on Provodnikov getting so discouraged by the fact that Alegri wouldn't just crumble after the knockdowns. And Emmanuel Taylor was at such a physical disadvantage and is just not elite.

Even worse Algeri is definitely a confident guy. And he's definitely not the normal boxer with all his avocados, tight shorts, master's degree and poo poo but he's been the one who has had to carry the promotion and in large doses he just comes across as unbearable.

Frankly, he would do well to learn the lesson of the last guy to question whether or not Manny still wants it.

Viewing material in lieu of a write up
"Under the Lights: Pacquiao-Algeri" with Max Kellerman,Tim Bradley and Virgil Hunter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD41AXUtVsg
24/7 Pacquiao-Algeri
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzEyiqcgknw
Full Pacquiao-Bradley 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CPs8wJPelk
Full Provodnikov-Algeri
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wWNfcUkihk
Tim Bradley laughs at Chris Algeri implying he is faster than Bradley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxH7E2QpR4Q

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 19, 2014

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I got a kick out of that Bradley video. Came shortly after he said Algieri would cause Pacquiao problems with his movement too.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

There have been a few people saying that HBO and Showtime are looking into a Floyd/Manny fight. It's about the perfect time for it to happen since both guys are out of viable "big name" foes unless Marquez changes his mind about the fifth Pacquiao fight. I don't think Khan is going to do the numbers Floyd wants in May even if he beats Alexander, and Khan wouldn't secure him Cinco de Mayo over Canelo-Cotto either (or at least I think Canelo-Cotto would be seen as the bigger fight).

The big obstacle is Floyd Mayweather who is allergic to anything Pacquiao.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

floyd - manny would still be awesome but i'm not even gonna seriously consider it tbh. mostly because it won't happen but also because it would interfere with me hoping algieri wins

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Got a chance to watch both the 24/7 episode and the Under the Lights video. They're both really good, especially the Under the Lights special. I think it's a Max Kellerman thing and not an HBO thing to have dimly lit rooms with ominous music playing while he talks boxing. The Virgil Hunter moment where he stands up and goes "I hate this loving show poo poo" before demonstrating some stuff for HBO anyway was pretty funny.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Presented without comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS8WJ6Lz1AU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

manny owns

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Man, seeing that fight a second time, I still don't agree that Algieri won it. He was amazing to watch; he made it a closer and more interesting fight than anyone expected going in, but I just don't think he quite made up for the first-round knockdowns (I scored it 114-112 for Provodnikov).

I really hope that this loss and an arguable decision against Tim Bradley (though I agreed with the judges there) haven't turned Provodnikov off to fighting in the States for good :(

No doubt.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Mr. Belpit posted:

I really hope that this loss and an arguable decision against Tim Bradley (though I agreed with the judges there) haven't turned Provodnikov off to fighting in the States for good :(

There's only like, 2 or 3 countries in the world where you can make good money out of boxing and the US is number 1 by a long, long way. Relax, I don't think Provodnikov is going to be turning down any offers.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

With Ruslan it's hard to say. I'd think there would still be a lot of stateside media interest in his fights here even despite his two recent losses. This is still a guy who smoked out Mike Alvarado. But then I see that Castillo is getting paid something like $500,000 to fight him in Russia, so they have some money to throw around and obviously expect to make more over there.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I'm not going to pay for this lovely PPV tonight but if Cleverly knocks out Bellew then I might send him the money personally.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

they're both so unlikable though. i can't root for either.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Nice work from DeGeale; interesting to see if/how Groves responds.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

destroy british referees

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

degale would demolish groves in a rematch. he's gone backwards so much since the first froch fight

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I've never been sure whether I rated Groves or not. I don't think there's been a single fight of his where there hasn't been some sort of question raised about him. I'm sure it'll be forgotten when the bullshit hype train gets going but the first DeGale fight wasn't very good and Groves fought really, really negatively.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Wilder-Joshua for the Journeyman Crusher Championship please

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

If Joshua can blast out Kingpin then I'll start Believing

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

he'd still need to pass the tony thompson test for me

e; have they even mentioned that both these guys lost emphatically when they stepped up to world level

thehappyprince fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 23, 2014

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

They have not. They also haven't mentioned how they're the 3rd and 4th ranked cruiserweights... in Britain.

e: Bellew is weird, it's like he's on uppers or something, like he's reached the zen of being a oval office

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Lionel Richie posted:

e: Bellew is weird, it's like he's on uppers or something, like he's reached the zen of being a oval office

If he wins, he'll be insufferable, but at least it will be funnier when he gets sparked by Ola Afolabi or similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Bellew has the advantage because Cleverly is a normal human being and realises he was broken by Kovalev. Bellew meanwhile has probably convinced himself he's never lost a fight.

• Locked thread