Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The inventory system is a million times more sensible on a controller than it is with a mouse, where you can use the D-Pad to instantly switch to any of the four cardinal directions, and when you have downtime you can pop it open and re-arrange things as you see fit using the pad + either the Y button or Triangle button, depending on your console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

That being said, they actually did up their game significantly with the various ways to die in RE6. There's no instance of a head falling off anyone's shoulders, but there is a whole bunch of creatively gruesome ways to make you feel like some sort of helpless idiot when something kills you.
I'm playing through Resi 6 for the first time at the moment, and read this just after loving up a QTE and seeing Leon get forced into a mincing machine.

It was pretty tame, but still... uuurgh.

Also: this LP is great, and I look forward to seeing all the ways CJacobs can get you both killed in future updates.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
You won't be disappointed! It's either we both gently caress up or he kills us.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Zain posted:

You won't be disappointed! It's either we both gently caress up or he kills us.
I can think of a few sections where my *ahem* "partner" managed to gently caress things up a good number of times on our first run through the game, so I'll be waiting for those sections in this LP to see if either of you end up using the same lovely excuses for getting someone killed!

Also, I know the end of the main game is still some way off, but are you planning to do any Mercenaries stuff as a bonus after? If it'll sway you into saying "yes", there'll be a whole extra bunch of ways available for CJacobs to screw things up!

Inferior posted:

I'm playing through Resi 6 for the first time at the moment, and read this just after loving up a QTE and seeing Leon get forced into a mincing machine.

It was pretty tame, but still... uuurgh.
Ha! They may not be as explicitly/visibly gory as they should be in some cases, but I just love how creative the deaths are in RE6 (especially compared to RE5). Nearly everything kills you in its own unique way, with very few deaths just using a generic "somethin' got you" animation. The meatgrinder in particular was one of those which got me thinking "well, I definitely don't want to gently caress things up again there".

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I'll talk with Cjacobs about doing some supplementary videos. With RE4 I don't care for the merc missions and have never really played them. Thus I am the bad.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Zain posted:

Also I want people to watch the cut version for my pro as hell editing skills! Generally I'm not much for tooting my own horn here but god drat that was like the most perfect edit to ever happen. Honestly all you have to watch is at the 33:11 minute mark.
Goddamn that was a good edit. The sound, video, and even commentary went smoothly.

Since I usually just watch the Uncut versions because I like seeing the True LP Experience™, I don't usually get to see things like that. Seriously, if the commentary didn't give it away, I wouldn't have known it was an edit at all.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Regarding Ep 2 comment "Isn't Leon friends with his sister?" I don't actually think Leon and Claire are any special friends aside from "yeah, Raccoon City was a thing". Mostly because Leon is a bitter dick. At least from what I remember in Resident Evil Degeneration?

By the way, LP is great so far. The technical issues are hilarious.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:siren: Update time yo~ :siren:

Part Four: Businessman with Standards

We meet Irving today and I don't know what the hell he's trying to be but it seems like it's something from a Looney Tunes show.

Shei-kun posted:

Goddamn that was a good edit. The sound, video, and even commentary went smoothly.

Since I usually just watch the Uncut versions because I like seeing the True LP Experience™, I don't usually get to see things like that. Seriously, if the commentary didn't give it away, I wouldn't have known it was an edit at all.
Thanks! When it came out so perfect it was just one of those once in a lifetime cuts that probably would never happen again.

RealSovietBear posted:

Regarding Ep 2 comment "Isn't Leon friends with his sister?" I don't actually think Leon and Claire are any special friends aside from "yeah, Raccoon City was a thing". Mostly because Leon is a bitter dick. At least from what I remember in Resident Evil Degeneration?

By the way, LP is great so far. The technical issues are hilarious.
Is Degeneration the movies? Because I don't think that's really cannon. But I'm not sure either way.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Zain posted:

Is Degeneration the movies? Because I don't think that's really cannon. But I'm not sure either way.

Degeneration is the animated CGI movie and those are canon. The live actions aren't.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My favorite thing about Degeneration was that a plane collided with a building and it wasn't Leon's fault.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Zain posted:

The CG Resident Evil films are canon since they take place in the game's universe and were produced by Capcom directly, the live action films are not part of the canon, they are separate, and thank god for that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"I will distract the man!!"

*two seconds pass wherein I am not on screen*

"WAUUGGHHhhhh my body"

I am the best at video games

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
There is actually such a thing as a phlebotomist, if that's what you meant to say. :v:

That room in the mine with the crossbow and dynamite guys on the higher ground can be brutal. I think I always made a beeline for the ladders to go up and take them out first.

Irving's voice acting is so weird. I mean it's done with such conviction... but yeah it really does sound right out of a Saturday morning cartoon.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Irving is this game's Salazar, but he sucks because you can tell he's trying to be this game's Salazar.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

CJacobs posted:

"WAUUGGHHhhhh my body"

I am the best at video games

You're the best meat shield ever. Without you being so bad at this game people might question my own skill!

Antistar01 posted:

There is actually such a thing as a phlebotomist, if that's what you meant to say. :v:

That room in the mine with the crossbow and dynamite guys on the higher ground can be brutal. I think I always made a beeline for the ladders to go up and take them out first.

Irving's voice acting is so weird. I mean it's done with such conviction... but yeah it really does sound right out of a Saturday morning cartoon.
Haha it's what I meant to say. I was hoping for CJacobs to say "No that's not right at all." But instead he had no idea so I just went with it! :3: I'm evil.

DO IT TO IT posted:

Irving is this game's Salazar, but he sucks because you can tell he's trying to be this game's Salazar.
He's trying so freaking hard. He deserves a sticker! But not really a lead role in this game.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
That was a really seamless edit last time. :golfclap: I did one in the... fourth episode of the DS2 LP to cover about 45 seconds I totally forgot to cut out the first time, but there's still a little tell (I blame having a torch on screen, heh).

You two do make a pretty good team....

CJacobs posted:

"WAUUGGHHhhhh my body"

...well, commentary-wise. :sweatdrop:

I kind of agree vis a vis the bit about Sheva using rifles ("kind of" because if you look at your own OP, you can see she's using a shotgun :v:). I think it's because she's just so small compared to everybody else, and I think the gun models are bigger than usual, I guess to make them stand out when the camera's pulled away. Like in the cutscene with the zombie bikers, her M92 (normally about 8" long) is bigger than her forearm. Longarms don't really have that problem.

Also amazed you killed the bat boss so quickly; like CJ said, I remember it being a way harder fight. Like, running around in circles for my life dropping mines, not "knock it over twice, empty SMG clip."

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

For me, Irving is where this game becomes inconsistent with what it wants for a tone. For some reason, Capcom genuinely thought people would treat the goofy Irving as a speed bump and forget about him quickly. The problem is that things like Irving's VA performance really stand out so much that it's impossible to not be knocked out of the serious atmosphere. You have this whole overarching thread of "Jill Valentine is DEEEEEEAAAAADD!" alongside more reserved and serious attitudes from Chris and Sheva. And then Irving introduces himself and decides to be, as you guys said, a Saturday morning cartoon character and harken to some of the sillier parts of the franchise. But, the game wants to smother that silly side and keep barreling down the serious drama path, to the point where you start to ask "Just what exactly did you want for this game's tone, Capcom"?

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

DO IT TO IT posted:

Yeah, Irving is kind of a dud. However, this game's Saddler manages to single-handedly out-ham the entire goddamn series and it's amazing. Like, if he chewed the scenery any harder he would spontaneously turn into Skeletor.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 26, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Wayne posted:

I kind of agree vis a vis the bit about Sheva using rifles ("kind of" because if you look at your own OP, you can see she's using a shotgun :v:). I think it's because she's just so small compared to everybody else, and I think the gun models are bigger than usual, I guess to make them stand out when the camera's pulled away. Like in the cutscene with the zombie bikers, her M92 (normally about 8" long) is bigger than her forearm. Longarms don't really have that problem.

It's because Sheva is skinny and lithe, while Chris is built like a brick shithouse. He presents a wide, squat profile (Even though he is a tall dude) and she presents a tall, skinny profile (Even though she's shorter than him). He resembles a pistol or SMG, she resembles a long gun. Check it out, side by side Chris looks like he's three or four times as thick as Sheva:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, the shotgun and rifle are like Sheva's thing.

They really do seem to just "fit" better with her.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Batbug is part bat and part bug. The nubs on the rear half were clearly prolegs :colbert:

Also the dogs were African painted/wild dogs, not dingoes (which are found only in Australia) or Hyenas. Yes I am the type of person that would obsessively try to identify what the source animals were for all the creatures in RE: Revelations :eng99:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They were pretty wild, that's for sure! Ha ha ha ha ha they want to eat my face

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CJacobs posted:

They were pretty wild, that's for sure! Ha ha ha ha ha they want to eat my face

And they were painted

With bullets

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Batbug had booblegs. You can spin tassels around your your nips very easily. Its not a far step to carrying your enormous bugbody on a bunch of tits.

Also I agree that was a fantastic transition edit.

Mak0rz posted:

Batbug is part bat and part bug. The nubs on the rear half were clearly prolegs :colbert:

Also the dogs were African painted/wild dogs, not dingoes (which are found only in Australia) or Hyenas. Yes I am the type of person that would obsessively try to identify what the source animals were for all the creatures in RE: Revelations :eng99:

Oh please do! I'm interested in iding the wildlife as well as murdering it completely.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Captain Bravo posted:

He presents a wide, squat profile (Even though he is a tall dude) and she presents a tall, skinny profile (Even though she's shorter than him). He resembles a pistol or SMG, she resembles a long gun.

Yeah, good way of putting it. And I was curious after all that, and according to the RE Wiki she's 5'5" to Chris's and Josh's 6' 1", which is about right. The knife takedowns and capoeira make a lot of sense when you have about half the weight going into your strikes than your teammates do. :v:

Mak0rz posted:

Also the dogs were African painted/wild dogs, not dingoes (which are found only in Australia) or Hyenas.

Ooh, thanks for the info. I knew they weren't hyenas either (and man, what a weird animal, it'd figure the closest thing we'd have to a CatDog is this horrifying thing), but it's hard to get a good look at the type of dog they are before, y'know, their skull splits in half and tentacles fly out. What breed is that, smart guy?! :colbert:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
For interested parties, this is from one of the RE5 artbooks, and discusses why they decided to make Chris 100% American beef:

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Chris abuses steroids to overcome his trauma and confront Wesker. Leon abuses hair spray to overcome his trauma and confront Ada. Makes sense.

Also, Zain won't read this because it's a spoiler, but CJacobs, you better abuse that cattle prod when you unlock it if Zain doesn't.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RealSovietBear posted:

Also, Zain won't read this because it's a spoiler, but CJacobs, you better abuse that cattle prod when you unlock it if Zain doesn't.

I will make sure to during our next recording session!

edit: this post is great out of context because zain has no idea what I am responding to! It could be ANYTHING! I have so much power!

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

CJacobs posted:

edit: this post is great out of context because zain has no idea what I am responding to! It could be ANYTHING! I have so much power!

Awesome. I have an emotional attachment to that weapon because my friend and I ran out of ammo during the final Wesker fight so I literally fought him one on one with the cattle prod.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

CJacobs posted:

Oh jeez, are you sure you'll be able to, CJacobs? The fish don't even start to sing until fifteen minutes into the scene... That's going to be a lot of waiting around, Zain will probably be pretty frustrated.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wayne posted:

Ooh, thanks for the info. I knew they weren't hyenas either (and man, what a weird animal, it'd figure the closest thing we'd have to a CatDog is this horrifying thing)

:eng101: Hyenas and dogs are textbook examples of convergent evolution!

Wayne posted:

but it's hard to get a good look at the type of dog they are before, y'know, their skull splits in half and tentacles fly out. What breed is that, smart guy?! :colbert:

Here's a neat fact about the dog enemies: In RE5 they are known as "Adjule," which is the name of a north African dog creature of urban legend. This is kind of neat because using the game world to explain real world conspiracy nonsense is well within Assassin's Creed territory and not really something Resident Evil does a lot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
We just finished recording a session and I forgot to do the thing, sorry. So you won't see the thing for at least a few videos. :sweatdrop:

Also, if you liked that part of the first video where the game took a big runny dump all over us, boy are you in for some fun times in the future! gently caress you Resident Evil 5! :buddy:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

:eng101: Hyenas and dogs are textbook examples of convergent evolution!

They're a matriarchal society too! Probably because the females have something called the pseudo penis. But I'm not really sure on if that's the sole reason.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zain posted:

They're a matriarchal society too! Probably because the females have something called the pseudo penis. But I'm not really sure on if that's the sole reason.

I'm not sure why that would be the reason at all. Many animals with not-penis-having females have matriarchal societies, such as elephants, which are suspiciously absent from RE5.

Imagine... Plaga zombie elephants!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I'm not sure why that would be the reason at all. Many animals with not-penis-having females have matriarchal societies, such as elephants, which are suspiciously absent from RE5.

Imagine... Plaga zombie elephants!

Don't Bulls still have a decent rank in the society? From what I've seen and read the male hyena is treated very much like trash. But that could just be hyena society in general.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zain posted:

Don't Bulls still have a decent rank in the society? From what I've seen and read the male hyena is treated very much like trash. But that could just be hyena society in general.

Oh, maybe. I actually don't know much about animal social structures.

Unless it's bumble bees that is. Now there's a matriarchal society I tell you what!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Oh, maybe. I actually don't know much about animal social structures.

Unless it's bumble bees that is. Now there's a matriarchal society I tell you what!

Bees are loving great! Like holy poo poo they're absolutely crazy. If they all died out the planet would only live for 12 seconds. Real fact I've heard on the internet. (But seriously they're a very important cog in the global ecosystem)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Now, spiders? those are some hellfucker nightmare monsters this world would be better without

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Now, spiders? those are some hellfucker nightmare monsters this world would be better without
Strangely enough (or in your case, thankfully enough), I think Resident Evil has generally avoided using horribly mutated spiders as enemies. The closest "spider" enemy I can think of are the infection parasites in Operation Raccoon City, but those are more Totally Not Xenomorph Facehuggers than spiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

AradoBalanga posted:

Strangely enough (or in your case, thankfully enough), I think Resident Evil has generally avoided using horribly mutated spiders as enemies. The closest "spider" enemy I can think of are the infection parasites in Operation Raccoon City, but those are more Totally Not Xenomorph Facehuggers than spiders.

CJacobs and Zain please save this post for future reference

• Locked thread