Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

alpha_destroy posted:

Aww gently caress. This is how I find out I never sent in my e-mail draft. For the record here is what I had:

Loved:
1.) Lorenzo Cain
2.) Salvy Perez
3.) Zack Greinke
4.) Altuve
5.) Harper
6.) Danny Duffy
7.) Mike Moustakas
8.) Adrian Beltre
9.) Adam Jones
10.) Cutch

Hated
1.) Chapman
2.) Bumgarner
3.) Osuna
4.) Josh Hader
5.) Daniel Murphy
6.) Jose Reyes
7.) Jeff Samardzija
8.) Matt Bush
9.) John Lackey
10.) Hunter Strickland

Edit: and now I am realizing it is a bad list anyway cause it doesn't have Two-Hit Whit Merrifield on it.

You would have beefed up some of my loved list a bit, you should have done it! I do have some regrets (again) but the list is still out there to be determine so we shall see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is it too late to add someone to your most hated list, because uh...

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I am so sorry, I will be back tomorrow, I traveled to Canada today and it took much MUCH longer than I expected to, and my plans were thoroughly derailed.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is it too late to add someone to your most hated list, because uh...

Is there a 25th guy? We need a 25th guy!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#24 Most Hated - 1 point

Seriously, these were difficult, because they were all just tiny pet peeves of individual folks. I tried.

Dansby Swanson
Team: Atlanta Braves
Debut: August 17, 2016

What's to hate? Annoying pretty boy whose real first name is James anyway.

Chris Sale
Team: Boston Red Sox
Debut: August 6, 2010

What's to hate? Very good, but slightly insane pitcher who took a pair of scissors to a set of throwback jerseys that he didn't want to wear and spent too much time & energy defending Drake LaRoche.

Lucas Giolito
Team: Chicago White Sox
Debut: June 28, 2016

What's to hate? The ballot I received says the hatred is "purely out of spite", so that is that. :shrug: Giolito is just doing his thing without bothering anyone, lol.

Justin Wilson
Team: Chicago Cubs
Debut: August 20, 2012

What's to hate? I literally never heard of this guy before I received this vote, but he appears to be a mediocre relief pitcher providing nothing but heartache for the Cubs since 2017. Definitely worth a single point of hatred, if you ask me.

Tommy Pham
Team: St. Louis Cardinals Tampa Bay Rays
Debut: September 9, 2014

What's to hate? He's a very good player who is also a Cardinal, and I suspect that's enough for this Cubs-y internet forum.

edit: He wasn't a Cardinal at the time that I wrote this, so please disregard.

Justin Turner
Team: Los Angeles Dodgers
Debut: September 9, 2009

What's to hate? Waited until he was off the Mets to start playing like a pro. Mets fans will NEVER forgive him. :colbert:

Giancarlo Stanton
Team: New York Yankees
Debut: June 8, 2010

What's to hate? Guessing this was Mike Fiers's alt account or something, considering Stanton has been performing quite sufficiently with the Yankees this year and the person who voted doesn't have any Red Sox in their top 10 favorites.

Brett Gardner
Team: New York Yankees
Debut: June 30, 2008

What's to hate? Has an alien head, is good against the Jays, etc.

Current Rankings

quote:

24. Dansby Swanson, Chris Sale, Lucas Giolito, Justin Wilson, Tommy Pham, Justin Turner, Giancarlo Stanton, Brett Gardner

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 16, 2018

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#24 Most Loved - 7 points

Blake Snell
Team: Tampa Bay Rays
Debut: April 23, 2016

What's to love? He is an underrated but solid pitcher, and Chris Archer will make sure you know it.

Chris Archer posted:

He leads the league in ERA. That means he's given up the fewest amount of runs per nine innings out of any starting pitcher in the league...If you didn't have him on your [All-Star] ballot, I hope that next year you take it a little bit more serious and put in the due diligence, because this is important.

They're bros. :kimchi:

Snell also has a touch of deGrom syndrome, performing very well on a consistent basis but not being supported by a particularly good team. Don't worry, the internet is noticing.

John Axford
Team: Toronto Blue Jays Los Angeles Dodgers
Debut: September 15, 2009

What's to love? Axford has been a bit of a nomad lately, being past his prime. He's been on six teams in the past five years, one of which was a dream come true.

https://twitter.com/johnaxford/status/962793527838150656

Playing abilities aside, he is a rather quirky gentleman who is very proud of his mustache.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsP7VIDYMJo

He majored in film & television in college, and makes appearances in & sponsors the film festival of the city he made his debut in, Milwaukee.

Justin Verlander
Team: Houston Astros
Debut: July 4, 2005

What's to love? He is a very good pitcher. He managed to impregnate Kate Upton, which I assume is an accomplishment for straight male people...

...but the seven-time All-Star, two-time no-hitter pitcher, & ALCS MVP just very, very good at pitching.

He's a shining gem in the crown that is the Astros rotation, and at 35 he's barely (if at all?) showing signs of slowing down.

Additionally, no matter what anyone says, he has not exactly condoned the Astros' decision to sign Roberto Osuna, who has been suspended after committing domestic violence.

https://twitter.com/MLByahoosports/status/1024085475747753985

Albert Pujols
Team: Los Angeles Angels
Debut: April 2, 2001

What's to love? Albert Pujols is a sapient Silver Slugger. He has won the award six times, and he has lead the NL in home runs twice. Dude never stops mashing dingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HecT79ljqx0

When he's not mashing dingers, he & his family are running their foundation, helping kids with Down syndrome and kids in his native Dominican Republic. He seems like a pretty good guy.

Current Rankings

quote:

24. Blake Snell, John Axford, Justin Verlander, Albert Pujols
25. Matt Chapman, Wilson Ramos, Yangervis Solarte, Stephen Piscotty, Brandon Nimmo, Adam Wainwright, Jesús Aguilar, José Ramírez

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 4, 2018

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'll have you know that I did not put Pham on my hated list :colbert:

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Here's my horribly flawed list.

Favorites:
1. Ichiro Suzuki
2. Bartolo Colon
3. Carlos Gomez
4. Blake Snell
5. Wilson Ramos
6. Jake Bauers
7. Joey Votto
8. Adrian Beltre
9. Ryne "The Opener" Stanek
10. Jonny Venters

Hated:
1. Josh Hader
2. Aroldis Chapman
3. Ryan Braun
4. Trevor Bauer
5. Tim Beckham
6. Yuli Gurriel
7. Yadier Molina
8. Chase Utley
9. Cole Hamels
10. Chris Sale

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'll have you know that I did not put Pham on my hated list :colbert:

Yeah I was gonna say I'm not even sure if this was a Cubs fan, he was like the least hateable Cardinal because he clearly held disdain for the front office.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Lucas Giolito is adorably bad at playing the French horn and they put an extended bit of him trying to remember how to play it up on the big screen one day during a rain delay. That being said, he’s not that good this year and I could see an actual White Sox fan being angry at him as a result.

Popete posted:

Yeah I was gonna say I'm not even sure if this was a Cubs fan, he was like the least hateable Cardinal because he clearly held disdain for the front office.

I halfheartedly lobbied for him in the thread as a likeable player for that reason.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

The only thing with Pham is that there's certainly some overconfidence there. He went into this season basically saying to the StL media "This is going to be my 30-30 year, trust me". And he didn't say it in an arrogant way, he did it in the way a person with fierce determination said it.

He works extremely hard and if there could be a payout for "guts" are he'd get the prize. Note: "guts" are different from hustle and scrap.

The StL front office is super terrible and I hate them. But Pham had an issue with money that really did need another year of production to justify it. I hope he kicks rear end in Tampa Bay because he's a good player and a good guy.

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 3, 2018

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Pancakes posted:

Lucas Giolito is adorably bad at playing the French horn and they put an extended bit of him trying to remember how to play it up on the big screen one day during a rain delay. That being said, he’s not that good this year and I could see an actual White Sox fan being angry at him as a result.

Yo. I didn't know about the French horn thing either but that's my least favorite instrument so he just got knocked down another peg.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Tom Gorman posted:

The only thing with Pham is that there's certainly some overconfidence there. He went into this season basically saying to the StL media "This is going to be my 30-30 year, trust me". And he didn't say it in an arrogant way, he did it in the way a person with fierce determination said it.

He works extremely hard and if there could be a payout for "guts" are he'd get the prize. Note: "guts" are different from hustle and scrap.

The StL front office is super terrible and I hate them. But Pham had an issue with money that really did need another year of production to justify it. I hope he kicks rear end in Tampa Bay because he's a good player and a good guy.

I really like Tommy Pham, and sometimes I wonder if his stubbornness makes sense or not, but I hope he makes something happen with his new uhh… "team".

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

John Wilkes Booth posted:

Yo. I didn't know about the French horn thing either but that's my least favorite instrument so he just got knocked down another peg.

Here's some hate fuel for you, then (couldn't find a direct video link):

Facebook will sell your hatred of Lucas Giolito to Russians.

Twenty Four posted:

I really like Tommy Pham, and sometimes I wonder if his stubbornness makes sense or not, but I hope he makes something happen with his new uhh... "team".

Someone spoke well of Tommy Pham, so by the Rules of Pham he immediately got injured. :sigh:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Pancakes posted:

Someone spoke well of Tommy Pham, so by the Rules of Pham he immediately got injured. :sigh:

Don't blame me! If anything, despite (and somewhat including) his stubborn ways, I like the guy for doing amazing things despite horrible vision problems. I can relate to him on horrible vision and being stubborn, maybe not as much as far as doing amazing things in the outfield or at the plate.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Trying to continue posting while away from home & dealing with his hotel's terrible wi-fi when there are ten-way ties and stuff in the rankings is just...Sisyphean, to say the least. I'm trying my best.

edit: :ninja:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

John Wilkes Booth posted:

I feel like the only way someone could hate the French Horn is if they have a personal history with it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#23 Most Hated - 2 points

Christian Vázquez
Team: Boston Red Sox
Debut: July 9, 2014

What's to hate? I am not entirely sure, to be honest. The most controversial thing I could find about him is that he expected the Yankees to retaliate after Joe Kelly hit Tyler Austin with a pitch.

Luke Gregerson
Team: St. Louis Cardinals
Debut: April 6, 2009

What's to hate? Well, he's not very good, I suppose. He's got a -.03 WAR and a 7.11 ERA this season, so... :shrug:

Pablo Sandoval
Team: San Francisco Giants
Debut: August 14, 2008

What's to hate? He has struggled with his weight over the course of his entire career, which has led to lack of productivity and other various issues on the field.

Andrew Benintendi
Team: Red Sox
Debut: August 2, 2016

What's to hate? He is a good Red Sock who is not Mookie Betts, Nathan Eovaldi, or Chris Sale, therefore he is worthless.

Noah Syndergaard
Team: New York Mets
Debut: May 12, 2015

What's to hate? If you like Chase Utley for some reason, hating Syndergaard for throwing at Chase Utley makes sense. It's also gross that he got hand, foot, & mouth disease, a disease most commonly associated with kids.

Cole Hamels
Team: Texas Rangers Chicago Cubs
Debut: May 12, 2006

What's to hate? I am well & truly stumped. The 2008 World Series MVP helps run a charity foundation that helps disadvantaged children and hasn't said or done anything particularly hosed up. Someone help.

Fernando Rodney
Team: Minnesota Twins
Debut: May 4, 2002

What's to hate? He's not particularly good, and that bow & arrow thing he does when he gets a strikeout is annoying.

Current Rankings

quote:

23. Christian Vásquez, Luke Gregerson, Pablo Sandoval, Andrew Benintendi, Noah Syndergaard, Cole Hamels, Fernando Rodney
24. Dansby Swanson, Chris Sale, Lucas Giolito, Justin Wilson, Tommy Pham, Justin Turner, Giancarlo Stanton, Brett Gardner

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 16, 2018

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#23 Most Loved - 8 points

Next time, I think I'll just do the top 20 or something, because there's a ten-way tie here. :negative:

Wilmer Flores
Debut: August 6, 2013

What's to love? He's probably famous-est for crying on the field upon learning of a rumor that he was being traded to the Brewers in 2015, but aside from his sensitive side, there are plenty of other reasons to care about him.

For example, he likes the show Friends...kind of a lot.

Personally I don't see the appeal, but whatever.

Friends helped him get better at English and fight homesickness, and the theme song is his walkup music. Also, this video is on his Instagram.

Flores also recently surpassed David Wright as king of the walk-off. In July he hit his 10th career walk-off, which is the most in Mets franchise history. Dude is clutch as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCYXYzvQZIY

Enrique Hernández
Team: Los Angeles Dodgers
Debut: July 1, 2014

What's to love? Despite the fact that he loves Chase Utley, he's still awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU9VguME3TU

Excellent dancer/chair-grinder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKXmCvhI4oQ

Without his offense, the Dodgers would not have made it to the World Series last year.

A complete oddball.

Sean Doolittle
Team: Washington Nationals
Debut: June 5, 2012

What's to love? Sean Doolittle is an unabashed social justice warrior, and he & his wife were called baseball's "most woke couple" by the Washington Post.

https://twitter.com/whatwouldDOOdo/status/1024053915988443138

He goes out of his way to support disadvantaged people.

Sean Doolittle posted:

When I was a kid, I remember my parents would say, ‘Baseball is what you do, but that’s not who you are’ — like that might be my job, but that’s not the end-all, be-all. I feel like I might even be able to use it to help other people or open some doors or explore more opportunities.

As the son of an Air Force vet, he is particularly inclined to support our troops, but not in a creepy jingoistic way. He supports Operation Finally Home, an organization that gives mortgage-free homes to returning veterans.

Shohei Ohtani
Team: Los Angeles Angels
Debut: NPB: March 29, 2013 MLB: March 29, 2018

What's to love? Ohtani is the greatest baseball player to ever live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFuSIU7A5Lc

Also handsome.

Also well-loved by his teammates. :kimchi:

Archie Bradley
Team: Arizona Diamondbacks
Debut: April 11, 2015

What's to love? Archie Bradley shat his pants, and he's a good enough pitcher to have pitched a good inning with poo poo in his pants.

https://twitter.com/mikeoz/status/1011645151054200833

Archie Bradley is so well-loved that the internet found his dog for him.

https://twitter.com/ArchieBradley7/status/1013504064481517568

Jason Heyward
Debut: April 5, 2010

What's to love? Jason Heyward has won the Gold Glove five times, and for good reason.

He's also a class act who, as soon as he signed his contract with the Cubs in 2015, paid for David Ross's family's accommodations during the entire 2016 season.

Jason Heyward posted:

I know how special it is to have teammates like he was my first three years in Atlanta. You don't take it for granted. I wanted to say thank you from the bottom of my heart, as a teammate and as a friend, for what he's done for me.

Ozzie Albies
Debut: August 1, 2017

What's to love? He's a talented player who has lots of love for his teammates.

So much that a display of affection (seen below) sparked not only a hoax about Ronald Acuña, Jr.'s mom dying, but also lots of discussions about the toxicity of masculinity.

https://twitter.com/pedromoura/status/1023653065801396225

Maybe not enough for Dansby Swanson?

Anyway, between his affectionate personality, solid on-field performance, and newness to the game, Ozzie Albies is an easy player to like, even for a Mets fan like myself.

Trea Turner
Team: Washington Nationals
Debut: August 21, 2015

What's to love? Anthony Rendon's favorite player is an excellent defenseman who is light on his feet.

He has been dinged for posting some hosed up poo poo on Twitter, but his apology comes across as relatively sincere.

Trea Turner posted:

I believe people who know me understand those regrettable actions do not reflect my values or who I am. But I understand the hurtful nature of such language and am sorry to have brought any negative light to the Nationals organization, myself, or the game I love.

Brent Suter
Team: Milwaukee Brewers
Debut: August 19, 2016

What's to love? Well, he's a pretty damned good actor (ignore the guy in the middle).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o5zHuMPGi0

https://twitter.com/JimCarrey/status/1005249015321989120

Also a good dancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmbybE0nHhE

Let's not focus too much on his pitching, since he just underwent Tommy John surgery a couple of days ago and is ending his season with a 4.80 ERA. Judging by the results of my "suter" search in the MLB GIF & video repository, it would seem that his role with the Brewers & in fans' hearts is more "lovable goofball" than "elite strikeout master".

Evan Gattis
Debut: April 3, 2013

What's to love? El Oso Blanco has overcome a lot to get to where he is. It's true that the ESPN announcers never shut up about his trials & tribulations, but that doesn't make them any less significant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvPI6FFV6IQ

Also, he rakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRHFwA3f97w

Current Rankings

quote:

23. Wilmer Flores, Enrique Hernández, Sean Doolittle, Shohei Ohtani, Archie Bradley, Jason Heyward, Ozzie Albies, Trea Turner, Brent Suter, Evan Gattis
25. Matt Chapman, Wilson Ramos, Yangervis Solarte, Stephen Piscotty, Brandon Nimmo, Adam Wainwright, Jesús Aguilar, José Ramírez

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 5, 2018

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
I'm surprised Ohtani didn't end up higher, but he's got a (hopefully) long career ahead of him to make his mark.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I had a moment where I was confused that my #3 player wasn't immediately after my #4 & #5 votes, then I remembered that my #3 favorite was Javy.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Only reason Cole Hamels is on my hated list is due to bitterness. Nothing against Cole himself, he's an awesome dude, just bitterness from 08 and I felt like my last couple of slots should be reserved for irrational choices.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

marioinblack posted:

Only reason Cole Hamels is on my hated list is due to bitterness. Nothing against Cole himself, he's an awesome dude, just bitterness from 08

Yeah I was trying to figure it out from your 10 most loved but it remained unclear to me, lol.

quote:

and I felt like my last couple of slots should be reserved for irrational choices.

Yeah, Andrew Benintendi and Dansby Swanson were irrationally my bottom two. Irrational choices are completely fine. :D

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
To explain Gregerson:

”Big Mean Jerk” posted:

I honestly don’t remember why I singled out Gregerson specifically, but he’s basically a stand-in for the entire 2017 Astros regular season bullpen. To hell with all of them.

Sorry Gregerson, I should have given your spot to Osuna.

Also, do the ESPN guys really yammer on about Gattis’s backstory? I try to avoid watching national broadcasts so I can’t remember.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sorry Gregerson, I should have given your spot to Osuna.

Don't worry, I think he'll make the list.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I think I voted for Justin Wilson on the most hated list. My most hated list ended up mostly being my most disappointing list and that's why he made it.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I had forgotten I hated Syndergaard! I realize it is irrational and that he wasn't actually throwing at Escobar's head, but when you say you have a plan for the guy who swings at first pitchers and then buzz him a 98 mph fastball, that is gonna earn you some hatred.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'm amazed that Ohtani is so low on the list.

I have a soft spot for Luke Gregerson because he threw both Poque and I a couple BP balls when he was a Padre at PetCo. I also generally have a soft spot for any Cardinals player who routinely blows games for them.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

I didn't fill out a ballot, but as a way of explaining why some people might not like Cole Hamels, he hit Bryce Harper on purpose 6 years ago and then admitted that he did it for the stupidest reason ever.

Washington Post posted:

“I was trying to hit him,” Hamels said. “I’m not going to deny it. That’s just — you know what, it’s something that I grew up watching, that’s what happened, so I’m just trying to continue the old baseball — I think some people kind of get away from it. I remember when I was a rookie the strike zone was really, really small and you didn’t say anything just because that’s the way baseball is. Sometimes the league is protecting certain players and making it not that old-school, prestigious way of baseball.”

In response, Major League Baseball announced Monday that Hamels has been suspended for five games.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I have a soft spot for Luke Gregerson because he threw both Poque and I a couple BP balls when he was a Padre at PetCo. I also generally have a soft spot for any Cardinals player who routinely blows games for them.

I think Ohtani is *talented*, but he hasn't done anything to make me favor / disfavor him. He'd be near the top of my list if we did a "Top 10 Best Players" list, but not on this one.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I don't think Angels fans exist.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Lumpy posted:

I think Ohtani is *talented*, but he hasn't done anything to make me favor / disfavor him. He'd be near the top of my list if we did a "Top 10 Best Players" list, but not on this one.

Yeah this. He's exciting and I hope he can ultimately pull off the two-way player thing, but he hasn't really done anything to be one of my favorites. :shrug:

ego symphonic posted:

I didn't fill out a ballot, but as a way of explaining why some people might not like Cole Hamels, he hit Bryce Harper on purpose 6 years ago and then admitted that he did it for the stupidest reason ever.

I'm really having difficulty parsing this for some reason. Did he hit Harper because he was annoyed about the previous day's blowout? Or was it some sort of weird "in the good old days you hit your rival's best players to keep them on their toes" thing? Not that either reason (or any reason) makes it okay, I'm just confused as to what Hamels is actually claiming his motivation was.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

tadashi posted:

I don't think Angels fans exist.

I started to fill out a list but I stopped after 7 in order to beat traffic

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#22 Most Hated - 3 points

Julio Teherán
Debut: May 7, 2011

What's to hate? An excellent pitcher who is also a Brave. Boo.

Jon Lester
Debut: June 10, 2006

What's to hate? Drank beer & ate fried chicken in the Red Sox clubhouse in 2011. Are people still mad about that? Lester was higher on the ballot of the person who voted for him than Aroldis Chapman, so I'm going to assume he has done something either worse than clubhouse bullshit or more recent.

Justin Verlander
Debut: July 4, 2005

What's to hate? Hates fun.

https://twitter.com/justinverlander/status/793969535816646656

Manny Machado
Team: Baltimore Orioles Los Angeles Dodgers
Debut: August 9, 2012

What's to hate? Terrorized the AL East for six damned years.

Just like last year, I'll be bolding players who are featured in both lists.

Current Rankings

quote:

22. Julio Teherán, Jon Lester, Justin Verlander, Manny Machado
23. Christian Vásquez, Luke Gregerson, Pablo Sandoval, Andrew Benintendi, Noah Syndergaard, Cole Hamels, Fernando Rodney

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 16, 2018

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#22 Most Loved - 9 points

James Paxton
Team: Seattle Mariners
Debut: September 7, 2013

What's to love? James Paxton is the second Canadian to throw a no-hitter in MLB history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT2QQTvO-uQ

He's a very underrated pitcher with ice in his veins, judging by the fact that an eagle landing on him out of loving nowhere didn't faze him at all.

James Paxton posted:

It was coming right for me and I was like, 'Alright, the guy is over there. And I'm not the eagle guy'...but I guess this eagle was just confused -- apparently the first time ever. I was just standing there trying not to panic. I wasn't going to run. I figured I'm not going to outrun an eagle, so we might as well just see what happens.

Paul Goldschmidt
Team: Arizona Diamondbacks
Debut: August 1, 2011

What's to love? Never ever ever ever stops hitting.

https://twitter.com/MLBStatoftheDay/status/1025563420119257090

After hitting .364 and batting in 23 runs, he earned NL Player of the Month recognition in June.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyvGOrPhThE

The D-backs' star player & three-time Silver Slugger is loved by all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIsx0EuwXs0
Not that I'd expect them to say anything bad about any of their other teammates, in all fairness.

Noah Syndergaard
Debut: May 12, 2015

What's to love? When he's not antagonizing Robert Gsellman or banging Mrs. Met, he's being a great pitcher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPLN_6ujcTM

He did a shirtless interview during spring training, which was pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAQFD-7qLSA

He's a funny guy with a massive social media presence who even had a good sense of humor about contracting hand, foot & mouth disease which is extremely gross.

https://twitter.com/Noahsyndergaard/status/1021437608193212416

He is also loved by Wilmer Flores. :kimchi:

Current Rankings

quote:

22. James Paxton, Paul Goldschmidt, Noah Syndergaard
23. Wilmer Flores, Enrique Hernández, Sean Doolittle, Shohei Ohtani, Archie Bradley, Jason Heyward, Ozzie Albies, Trea Turner, Brent Suter, Evan Gattis

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
All those guys are pretty cool (idk Julio Tehran that well so I'm assuming it's a divisional thing) so I'm just going to assume we are still firmly in the minor gripe portion of peoples hated lists.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
People probably hate Lester because he's a big whiny baby on the field who stares into dugouts and yells at the ump when he doesn't get borderline strikes and generally does all the things that if he were brown would get him called a problem but because he's white make him a grizzled competitor. That's only on the field though: off the field he seems to be a pretty chill guy, is pretty much universally beloved in the clubhouse, and had some pretty darn uplifting responses to the whole racist players on twitter blowup.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
edit:

Popete posted:

All those guys are pretty cool (idk Julio Tehran that well so I'm assuming it's a divisional thing) so I'm just going to assume we are still firmly in the minor gripe portion of peoples hated lists.

Honestly, it's not until #18 that I fully understand why everyone in the ranking is hated, and it's not until #11 that I personally 100% agree.

edit2:

Sydin posted:

People probably hate Lester because he's a big whiny baby on the field who stares into dugouts and yells at the ump when he doesn't get borderline strikes and generally does all the things that if he were brown would get him called a problem but because he's white make him a grizzled competitor.

I believe you, but I don't know if I watch him enough to notice him doing stuff like that. :shrug:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Julio is from Braves fans hating him because he's maddeningly inconsistent. He's either flirting with a no hitter or he can't find the strike zone with a basketball

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I thought people didn’t like Lester because of his fear of picking off runners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I wouldnt say he is afraid of it, more that he physically can't do it

• Locked thread