Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite series
Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Killer Instinct
Samurai Showdown
King of Fighters
Other
View Results

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think if I had to choose one, either MK2 or UMK3 would be my favorite.

I swear MK3/UMK3 were harder on consoles than in the arcade, wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah MK2 and UMK3 are the poo poo. I honestly couldn't get into the 3d ones. It really pissed me off when down + HP stopped doing uppercuts.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Yeah MK2 and UMK3 are the poo poo. I honestly couldn't get into the 3d ones. It really pissed me off when down + HP stopped doing uppercuts.

At least they learned their lesson with MK9.
And even had a decent story mode.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Randaconda posted:

At least they learned their lesson with MK9.
And even had a decent story mode.

I dunno, I really miss the digitized graphics. There's something not as fun when doing a fatality on a bunch of polygons. I also miss the stiff controls of the first three games.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I dunno, I really miss the digitized graphics. There's something not as fun when doing a fatality on a bunch of polygons. I also miss the stiff controls of the first three games.

The digitized graphics were fun, but I don't miss the controls. They were always so much worse than the SF2 controls.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Question for you lot:

Which gen did you find more obnoxious in retro fighters:

1) The generation of air-guarding
2) AB = Strong Punch, CD= Strong Kick

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Air-guarding is still in loads of games

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Chicken blocking is a national treasure.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's wrong with air guarding?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Air guarding rules assuming your game is built for it.

I honestly just dont like fighters with weak normals and no gap closing

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Oh hey, much better topic:

With the recent release of the GBA core for MiSTer, I decided to play some Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Revival, and for the stages that got custom backgrounds, they’re actually really pretty.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didn't the GBA only have four buttons

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pretty interesting article from one of the designers of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HDR about what went wrong with balancing Akuma

http://www.sirlin.net/sf-hdr/akuma

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Idk if you can consider HDR a retro game but you gotta give it up for the main man Sirlin.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Street Smart, Pit Fighter and Primal Rage 4 lyfe :coolbert:

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
As a kid in school when Primal Rage came out everyone I knew and myself included loved that game. For elementary school kids what was cooler than Mortal Kombat? Mortal Kombat but with dinosaurs!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I never knew anyone that played Primal Rage and I surrounded myself with gaming nerds. Even some gaming nerds that were into dinosaurs. For some reason it never resonated with us. It was ALL Street Fighter, MK2 and UMK3, and Killer Instinct. Probably the biggest one we were obsessed with the most was Street Fighter Alpha for the PS1 (the one that came in the long cardboard box). We would actually cut school to play it.

Speaking of Killer Instinct, did anyone else think part 2 somehow had worse graphics than part 1? I know it's technically impossible but for some reason I always thought it looked worse and I could never put my finger on why.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Primal Rage would likely be more fondly remembered if they had ported the later version that changed the special moves into motions like regular fighters, instead of the weird rear end motions the early versions and 16 bit ports, at least, had.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Has anyone else played Tuff E Nuff for the SNES? It was a janky 1v1 fighter made by Jaleco, whose bread and butter on the system was janky beat-em-ups and sports games. In some ways it's pretty obviously a Street Fighter 2 ripoff but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Like Randaconda was noting with Primal Rage, there were a lot of 2D fighters at the time just throwing in whatever the hell button combo a developer decided on after ripping a line of coke. Tuff E Nuff at least had the good manners to make the button combos sensible, if not perfectly imitating SF2 and the like. IIRC the fireball and fancypants punch attacks of the Ryu/Ken clones here were something like hold forward 1 second, hit diagonal back left. Which isn't really any trickier than a half-circle backwards or any "hold direction, push other direction" move.

The game had a story mode where you could play as one of four different characters and... y'know what, I feel like I need to do an effort post on this one. I really liked this game because it was ambitious in a "B movie that's obviously trying its best" kind of way. It definitely has its issues and is not remotely balanced, but it's a lot of fun.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quiet Feet posted:

Has anyone else played Tuff E Nuff for the SNES? It was a janky 1v1 fighter made by Jaleco, whose bread and butter on the system was janky beat-em-ups and sports games. In some ways it's pretty obviously a Street Fighter 2 ripoff but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Like Randaconda was noting with Primal Rage, there were a lot of 2D fighters at the time just throwing in whatever the hell button combo a developer decided on after ripping a line of coke. Tuff E Nuff at least had the good manners to make the button combos sensible, if not perfectly imitating SF2 and the like. IIRC the fireball and fancypants punch attacks of the Ryu/Ken clones here were something like hold forward 1 second, hit diagonal back left. Which isn't really any trickier than a half-circle backwards or any "hold direction, push other direction" move.

The game had a story mode where you could play as one of four different characters and... y'know what, I feel like I need to do an effort post on this one. I really liked this game because it was ambitious in a "B movie that's obviously trying its best" kind of way. It definitely has its issues and is not remotely balanced, but it's a lot of fun.

That box art. :randpop:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Randaconda posted:

That box art. :randpop:

Woah - Syoh, Zazi, Kotono AND Vortz?! How'd they fit all my favorites into one 16 megabit game pak???

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember one game, which I can't remember the title of, had "Mega 8 Meg Action!" right on the front

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Randaconda posted:

Primal Rage would likely be more fondly remembered if they had ported the later version that changed the special moves into motions like regular fighters, instead of the weird rear end motions the early versions and 16 bit ports, at least, had.

Just did some reading on Primal Rage and discovered that it actually bitches at you and penalizes you for doing things that the game considers to be cheap. Some of those things are standard fighting game tactics, like tick throws.

If you don't want people to tick throw, program it so they can't. Maybe make players unable to be thrown while in blockstun. That would still be stupid as hell, but it would be far less stupid than penalizing people for doing it. I guess it just came down to :effort:

No wonder that game never caught on.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

The game “Best Of The Best”, for either the Genesis of Super Nintendo, feels like a successor to the 1v1 games on 80s PCs. Evidenced by “hold button, press direction for move”.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
World Heroes 2 Jet for Game Boy was one of the first games I ever bought for myself and imho it's still one of the best portable fighting games ever made!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WczBfvEqZLQ

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haAxGfvCitE

some nerd talking about the Commodore 64 version of SFII, which sounded like a terrible idea even before I watched it.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I played a little World Heroes 2 (SNES) the other night after not having played it in years and off the top of my head the only characters I remembered were Mudman, the ninja palette swaps, and Rasputin. Like if you'd told me there was a football player or a robo-nazi I would have just nodded while assuming you were bullshitting me.

It's not a particularly incredible game but one thing I really like about it is the ability to deflect projectiles by blocking at the right time. That's cool and I wish it had been in more fighting games back then.

Edit: played through the game as Erik and though I'm pretty sure he's not saying "egg and a ham and egg!" during his wave attack it seems very plausible. :thunk:

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 2, 2020

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it better than the first one? 'Cause that was bad

which reminds me of this amazing letter one of the developers sent into a video game magazine after a mediocre review, taking umbrage with the fact the reviewer compared it to SFII: Turbo unfavorably

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
I'm always gonna be fan of Virtua Fighter and the various 3D fighters Sega put out during the height of VF's popularity in the 90s. Three buttons with a large amount of combinations and options that can be had in an intuitive fashion. Been specifically digging into the Japanese Saturn version of Last Bronx recently and am kind of amazed how they had an in depth, voiced tutorial for that game back in 97 (so much they didn't bother including it in the international versions save for air combo training).

I still wish these days for AM2 to find the time to get back to Virtua Fighter and make a proper 6th game, but drat do I wish as much for Fighting Vipers or Last Bronx to get another shot.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008

Randaconda posted:

Is it better than the first one? 'Cause that was bad
Yes, It's faster, controls better, and has better death match stages, it's no Street Fighter or Fatal Fury Special but I always found it fun when I wanted to play a different fighting game.

Quiet Feet posted:

I played a little World Heroes 2 (SNES) the other night after not having played it in years and off the top of my head the only characters I remembered were Mudman, the ninja palette swaps, and Rasputin. Like if you'd told me there was a football player or a robo-nazi I would have just nodded while assuming you were bullshitting me.

While Brocken was built by the Nazis he is no longer a Nazi after being reprogrammed to by Doctor Brown to fight Gegus.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the Dreamcast era was where I learned how to play fighting games more than just mashing buttons and trying to Fatality friends on the Genesis.

Soul Calibur, SFA3, MvC 1 and 2, and CvS were some that I had and poured a lot of time into, especially the first two of those. Alpha 3 taught me a lot about what a 2D fighter should be.

I remain Not Very Good at fighting games but I love the science behind them. my current obsession is the SNK classics on Switch, including Garou.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Mr.Flibble posted:

While Brocken was built by the Nazis he is no longer a Nazi after being reprogrammed to by Doctor Brown to fight Gegus.

:eyepop:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Fightcade is a godsend

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
No love for Tobal 1 and 2? Awesome 3d fighter/dungeon crawler game for the Saturn. You could fight on the big stage, or use the same moves in the dungeon crawling mode. If you defeated opponents you could use them in the big stage, leading to something ridiculous like 200 playable characters.

Character designs by Akira Toriyama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWWTmyeym4s

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm hosting a super Turbo online tourney with some god tier fighting gamers (really good at smash with items on) from the Imp Zone. Stop on by and drop a follow or 3, tourney starting in 52 minutes.

https://www.twitch.tv/in_training

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBCzCn-RwYc&t=2s

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.

ArclightBorealis posted:

I'm always gonna be fan of Virtua Fighter and the various 3D fighters Sega put out during the height of VF's popularity in the 90s. Three buttons with a large amount of combinations and options that can be had in an intuitive fashion. Been specifically digging into the Japanese Saturn version of Last Bronx recently and am kind of amazed how they had an in depth, voiced tutorial for that game back in 97 (so much they didn't bother including it in the international versions save for air combo training).

I still wish these days for AM2 to find the time to get back to Virtua Fighter and make a proper 6th game, but drat do I wish as much for Fighting Vipers or Last Bronx to get another shot.

I thought I knew pretty much every fighting game, but never heard of Last Bronx before this post. Looked it up on youtube and it looks cool. I wish some old school 3d fighters could make a come back as well, especially Virtua Fighter and Bloody Roar.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the gently caress is with this box art

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

In 2011, a month after MvC3's release, we went to a teams tournament in Philly.

We made it real far. Here is me, in the red shirt, playing against Yipes and Sanford (MvC2 legends).

I wouldn't be sharing this if I didn't goon out hard during it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-seBa6u6qQ&t=462s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Barudak posted:

It would depend what you consider to be a fighting game, I think. If I had to pick pre-combo and instant block games it would be Yi Ar Kung Fu and Karateka.

Yi Ar Kung Fun introduced a lot of fundamental mechanics like special moves (youve got like, sixteen of them) and characters with different fighting styles and techniques. Its an arcade game though, so no multiplayer, but its a string of 1v1 fights.

Karateka is like a predecessor to both brawlers and fighting games and is basically super deadly combat at an admittedly sloooow pace. Large sprites though and features the person your rescuing murdering the poo poo out of you if you arent appropriately humble.

FUN FACT: There's a port of Yie Ar Kung-Fu to the GBA as part of Konami Classic Series: Arcade Advanced that includes a new 2 Player Vs. link cable mode where both players can pick from any of the fighters, including two new ones!