Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Cody vs Sonny 12 14.46%
FTR vs Lucha Bros 28 33.73%
Elite vs Dinosaurs 33 39.76%
Cage vs Mox 10 12.05%
Total: 83 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Seams posted:

the fact a guy came out and ranted about the ratings and then was immediately humiliated should tell people something

yeah we all read Tony's tweets last week, we're talking about Jericho now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Was another good show from top to bottom. Almost everything was great and the things that were mediocre at least went by quickly.

E: I also really liked that Mox actually had to switch up his tactics as Cage was just too beefy for his usual stuff to work.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 16, 2020

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that the AEW locker room/culture will have a positive effect on Ivelisse should she be around long-term. I've always been a fan of hers.

And where's Anna Jay?

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Is it just me or does next week's line-up kinda look like a glorified Dark after the great action of the last three weeks?

Took me ages to get back into empty arena shows but really not feeling much hype for "MJF in action", or Hangman vs Dark Order jobber even if it will be a good storyline advancement to the eventual Page/FTR vs Elite match.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Saul Goode posted:

Is it just me or does next week's line-up kinda look like a glorified Dark after the great action of the last three weeks?

Took me ages to get back into empty arena shows but really not feeling much hype for "MJF in action", or Hangman vs Dark Order jobber even if it will be a good storyline advancement to the eventual Page/FTR vs Elite match.

Yeah next week's show looks a bit pants really

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Huge Trent

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

JOHN CENA posted:

he's used it for years, like every indy show he's shane strickland from swerve city

Is Shane Strickland a a Deftones fan?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The Hangman/Omega storyline has been absolutely amazing from top to bottom and I don't think anybody in the world could have predicted where it's gone over the last few months.

Right after they won the belts I was convinced Page was going to turn into a cocky heel, now it looks like Kenny's on that path and it makes complete sense and has been built naturally despite, you know, the whole world going to poo poo starting in March.

Jericho declaring himself King of the Demos was amazing, I'm sorry. I don't know if he really freaked out about the ratings last week and then realized how stupid it was, or if the entire thing was part of his character, but it rules. An aging, out of touch boomer ranting about TV ratings and then instantly being embarrassed by a guy that doesn't give a gently caress is such a perfect dynamic.

OC's thumbs down also got a loud cheer from my wife, it ruled.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Come to think of it, it's incredibly in character for OC to go for a trap that relies entirely on gravity to function because it means that he doesn't have to spend any extra effort when activating it.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

CobiWann posted:

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that the AEW locker room/culture will have a positive effect on Ivelisse should she be around long-term. I've always been a fan of hers.

And where's Anna Jay?

Pretty sure she’s one of QT’s students so she’s quarantined.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

CobiWann posted:

And where's Anna Jay?

All the Dark Order matches, win or lose, are actually fronts to siphon off wrestling power from the opponents, which they will then funnel into Anna Jay in order to amplify her necromantic power so she can mind control Abbadon.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Come to think of it, it's incredibly in character for OC to go for a trap that relies entirely on gravity to function because it means that he doesn't have to spend any extra effort when activating it.

Trying to remember who said that next week's BTE should have multiple segments of Chuck and Trent getting a massive vat of orange juice up into the gantry.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Jericho basically shaking his fist and yelling "CASSIDYYYYYYY" as Ortiz bumped for orange juice at the end of the segment cracked me up. Whatever else can/should be said about Jericho personally, the man's willingness to be clowned on by babyfaces is a real treat.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

Jericho declaring himself King of the Demos was amazing,

He declared himself the Demo God. A play on demigod.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
It’ll be funny later this year when Jericho turns 50 and turns on the demo.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Rarity posted:

Yeah next week's show looks a bit pants really

Sometimes you need a breather episode.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Kind of a weak show. Best bits were Cody/Sonny and Mox/Cage.

Shida for forever champ, please.

I despise Vickie's shtick and was never entertained by it in all these years. Plus, putting her with Nyla makes zero sense. She's the last person on the women's roster who needs a manager.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Dax pulling off Fenix's mask last night was probably the third-best "unauthorized mask" removal in history.

Second best? Eddie Guerrero of course. He comes out of NOWHERE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMTMBjRQjbo&feature=youtu.be&t=276

Top spot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRCSLhYz9CA

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Moxley showing that he can beat people with all kinds of different styles is so good. I know his run has been beaten down by having no fans but other than the Hager match he's done a great job.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

CobiWann posted:

Dax pulling off Fenix's mask last night was probably the third-best "unauthorized mask" removal in history.

Second best? Eddie Guerrero of course. He comes out of NOWHERE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMTMBjRQjbo&feature=youtu.be&t=276

Top spot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRCSLhYz9CA

Lucha Bros have a huge problem tying their masks and getting them pulled. They even have snaps under the neck to prevent that, but they can't be bothered to use them.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
The fact that they are continuing the Jericho/OC feud makes me so happy. It takes some of the sting out of OC's loss at Fyter Fest. Hopefully we get a good All Out match where OC goes over.

The ratings rant was funny as gently caress to me precisely because it was so petty so of course Jericho would obsess over it. And the Demo God is a great nickname.

With the key around his neck, Butcher looked like a middle school gym teacher that is completely over this poo poo.

I liked that, after assholes online bitched about Sonny Kiss getting a shot at the TNT Belt, he came out to the gayest intro he could. They even had Cody's intro be less so Sonny could get more of his in.

Dax taking off Fenix's mask made me actually say "gently caress you, Dax" out loud. Also, I will now never forget which one Dax is now.

Everyone says it was a weak show, but I enjoyed the hell out of it.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 16, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Power Windows posted:

Kind of a weak show. Best bits were Cody/Sonny and Mox/Cage.

Shida for forever champ, please.

I despise Vickie's shtick and was never entertained by it in all these years. Plus, putting her with Nyla makes zero sense. She's the last person on the women's roster who needs a manager.

Yeah, but if Nyla had had Vickie in her corner during her title match, she probably wouldn't have lost the belt.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I think my favorite part of the OC/Jericho feud is that they have to dial Jericho (who's already at 11) up to 20 or 30 to compensate for Cassidy's gimmick being a 0, and it's incredible.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Sonny Kiss owns. This was definitely a good showcase match for him, and I loved him getting more aggressive and pissed off as the match went on.

It's also really nice that a dude can come out with a super flamboyant entrance and then have this incredibly physical match where he's throwing forearms and kicking out of super moves and making Arn Anderson's jaw drop.

I also really dig when they throw in comments about unique things that the wrestlers can do. Like saying Sonny has the strongest legs in AEW, and then Cage being so buff that he's basically designed to survive a Paradigm shift (WHICH THEY ACTUALLY PAID OFF BY HAVING HIM DO THAT!!!). It makes everybody seem cool as hell and adds to the idea that anybody could have a competitive match by relying on their strengths.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
How many different wrestlers have performed a Cross Rhodes on Cody at this point?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Calling Sonny's move "the Axes and O's" is great.

I also got a genuine lol out of JR watching Sonny do that splits off the top rope and saying, "That would kill me".

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I’ve been really impressed by Jungle Boy lately. He’s just getting better and better each time he’s out there. He bounced around like a pinball last night and everything looked so smooth.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm just now getting around the Nyla's episode on AEW Unrestricted, and of course she has a loving wall of katanas

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I’ve been really impressed by Jungle Boy lately. He’s just getting better and better each time he’s out there. He bounced around like a pinball last night and everything looked so smooth.

That springboard DDT is unreal. I think he needs a finisher that stands out, though.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I wonder if "Demo God" is supposed to be a riff on "Demigod" or "Demagogue"
Also, despite her dumbass MAGA tweet I sort of like that Vickie can be in an environment where she'll be appreciated instead of humiliated. But on the other hand there are few people on earth whose shticks I hate more than hers.
Also Also; Jungle Boy loving owns. He's some character work away from being World Champion Material. If he keeps improving in the ring there's a non-0% chance he'll become America's equivalent to Okada. (I might be exaggerating here but only a little bit). The only thing I'm afraid of is that his father didn't actually pass any acting ability to him.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

CopywrightMMXI posted:

yessss, that "fierce comeback strike" he's been mixing into his offense always looks fantastic (taking a turnbuckle whip, or a throw into the guard rail, then spinning on a dime for a clothesline or strike) and is a perfect babyface move, and I love the endless suicidas

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Also; his series with Jungle Boy did an amazing job of putting any concerns I had IRT MJF's ability to go in the ring to bed. It is STUPID how good AEW's youth crop is.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I thought the show was alright, nothing amazing but nothing particularly bad either. The Jericho ratings rant was cringey because it feels like the kind of thing that will bite them in the rear end if they start losing those demos, but "DEMOGOD" and the payoff for the segment was really loving good. I also hate Vicki and agree that Nyla doesn't need someone to talk for her so the partnership seems forced and unnecessary.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the only thing that'd make Nyla + Vicki work is Nyla changing her character a bit. which wouldn't be terrible, but i feel like she's an amazing women's monster with depth and still had a LOT of interesting territory to explore in that vein (but she can always flip back at a later time)

edit: or it could be a short angle played for laughs, Nyla in a "what did i get myself into?" mode for a bit

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://twitter.com/RealBrittBaker/status/1283594644371251200

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Orange Juice + Orange Towel = Happy Pin

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

smarxist posted:

the only thing that'd make Nyla + Vicki work is Nyla changing her character a bit. which wouldn't be terrible, but i feel like she's an amazing women's monster with depth and still had a LOT of interesting territory to explore in that vein (but she can always flip back at a later time)

edit: or it could be a short angle played for laughs, Nyla in a "what did i get myself into?" mode for a bit

Even so, Vicki and her schtick feels like such an old played out WWE thing to me that bringing her in and asking her to be loud and annoying and say excuse me a lot feels lame. Even if her intro music is a banger.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

If Nyla and Vickie have as good of chemistry onscreen as they apparently do backstage I think it could be great. I wasn't watching when she was in WWE though, so maybe the gimmick isn't played out for me.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

explosivo posted:

Even so, Vicki and her schtick feels like such an old played out WWE thing to me that bringing her in and asking her to be loud and annoying and say excuse me a lot feels lame. Even if her intro music is a banger.

The whole making GBS threads on Karens thing is very in vogue right now, it's not a surprise that AEW would want to capitalize on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
So where can I order the OC towel?