Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I appreciate Die Antwoord because they just kinda do whatever they want with their looks and music in an era where even niche artists are pressured to steer toward the generic standards of their chosen genre. Their music isn't really my thing and Ninja seems like an unscrupulous person (and that's being charitable) but I respect that their aesthetic is We Are Die Antwoord and it doesn't matter if you do or do not like it, that doesn't factor into their presence or personas.

edit: And that's not me projecting, after their first album they left the label and went self-published because they were being pressured to make their act more generic. Just bugs me when suits try to stifle creativity like that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

This thread is now about a guy in a black T-shirt at a party trying to talk to girls about Merzbow and its 2006

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That feel when you can't find a cute goth gf who will listen to I'm Coming to the Garden with you at max volume to really appreciate the Tone

edit: This party sucks. This beer is lame. I wish I was at home playing Silent Hill, with Merzbow cranked up to 125 percent volume and the game music still on

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 11, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

um, nope

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The_Continental posted:

This thread is now about a guy in a black T-shirt at a party trying to talk to girls about Merzbow and its 2006
*keeps asking the girls to repeat themselves cause i cant hear them over my raging tinnitus*

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Meh

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
For real, I went to school with a (black) South African girl. She said SA loving hates Die Antwoord* because they so gleefully use Afrikaans. I can't blame her for still being bitter about that sort of thing.

*and that's why they live in LA now

Deafboy
Dec 5, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6od76UNHt-M

Die antwoord who? Aren’t they awful rapist creeps?

I hope they die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2zx2i93R44

Deafboy
Dec 5, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Also racist as gently caress, but white South Africans, so obvs.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Deafboy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6od76UNHt-M

Die antwoord who? Aren’t they awful rapist creeps?

I hope they die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2zx2i93R44

I love the shot of the snake creeping into the stripper heels!~

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ew jumpstyle

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Worse, it's jump/hardstyle punctuated by female *vocals* :stonk:

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
their gimmick sucks and they are legit awful people so no I will not appreciate them!!!

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Die antword was cool before they started calling people gay slurs. Sorry op

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

The_Continental posted:

I know a guy who books shows and arranges lodging for touring bands and stuff like that. He told me one time Merzbow was in town and he complained about his hotel room because it was “too noisy”.

:v:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Die antword was cool before they started calling people gay slurs. Sorry op

Honestly, they were never good, and I like ska music so I should know

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Just listen to Death Grips

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The_Continental posted:

Just listen to Death Grips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpyquNOuWLA

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
These are the ugliest musicians I've ever seen.

I also feel odd watching something made by White South Africans because they tend to be pretty racis-

ded posted:

um, nope

yeah...

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 11, 2020

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

ded posted:

um, nope

lmao fantastic. all these loving brain geniuses in here like actually their work is significant in resolving the tensions inherent in the current ghgffhmnbvb and people keep producing poo poo like them in blackface

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

punk rebel ecks posted:

These are the ugliest musicians I've ever seen.

I also feel odd watching something made by White South Africans because they tend to be pretty racis-

yeah...

Torquemada posted:

lmao fantastic. all these loving brain geniuses in here like actually their work is significant in resolving the tensions inherent in the current ghgffhmnbvb and people keep producing poo poo like them in blackface

ya know its funny. 6 years ago there was another thread just like this one. i posted that exact image and everyone said LOL ITS NO BIG DEAL MAN WHATS YOUR PROBLEM

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Grem posted:

Jesus.

Why?

never doubt the ability of goons to like extremely bad music and have weird thirst for women they will never meet

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Die Antwoord is nards but this thread is also Old Goon "I DONT GET IT" central including someone telling me that poor people are ugly.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I have a theory about people who like Die Antwoord and it's that it's probably the only 'weird' music they've ever heard so they latched onto it to make out like they listen to anything but the most mediocre, middle of the road trash usually. They're the 'I'm so wacky and random' of the music world as evidenced by everything they've ever done. Too try hard.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Saalkin posted:

Little Big is like Russia Die Antwoord but better in pretty much every way.

yes

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I have a theory about people who like Die Antwoord and it's that it's probably the only 'weird' music they've ever heard so they latched onto it to make out like they listen to anything but the most mediocre, middle of the road trash usually. They're the 'I'm so wacky and random' of the music world as evidenced by everything they've ever done. Too try hard.

a tip of my fedora to this fine post, goonsire

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Torquemada posted:

lol

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

HAHAaaaa ok I'll do it

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

wish that fatty boom boom was in the karaoke system though

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Death Grips also rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orlbo9WkZ2E

Deafboy
Dec 5, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
When I was 11 or so, woulda been 1994, a nice little white South African family showed up in my neighbourhood & at school. “What fun accents! Hey, this is cool!” I thought.

Now I look back and think hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, why might this white South African family have suddenly appeared in my western Canadian city in the year 1994?

🤔

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Deafboy posted:

When I was 11 or so, woulda been 1994, a nice little white South African family showed up in my neighbourhood & at school. “What fun accents! Hey, this is cool!” I thought.

Now I look back and think hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, why might this white South African family have suddenly appeared in my western Canadian city in the year 1994?

🤔

You're right, t hey were moving to a country that had not yet decided to treat their native populations well.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

was it because the parents got a better job opportunity

Deafboy
Dec 5, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. F! posted:

You're right, t hey were moving to a country that had not yet decided to treat their native populations well.

Yep, Canadians are racist as gently caress against their native population, the RCMP was created to subjugate the natives/non-whites/poor, our history is absolutely fuckin shameful just like all other white colonizers.

If you aren’t willing to acknowledge that or discuss that you are white-supremacist adjacent at best.

I didn’t feel the need to add that on to my post by I honestly appreciate the addendum.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
One of the most uncomfortable films I've watched is Searching for Sugarman. It just reinforces how utterly clueless the white South African population is about racial tensions and the dominant culture of their country.

Saalkin posted:

Little Big is like Russia Die Antwoord but better in pretty much every way.

Also this. Even when they use black people in a deamning way in their videos it's more just eye rolling than :stare:.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Every time I meet someone from South Africa they’re an rear end in a top hat and a racist, it’s not even a generalization or hyperbole

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I was hanging out with a friend in Nicaragua, this dude was a journalist there so he knew lots of sketchy people.

It seemed like there were a lot of retired cops from various countries, they’d go there and live really well on their pensions. And be drunk all the time.

One of these cops was a South African who had done something horrible in his past but I forget what now, and it felt like he was there to disappear. He had bought a big walled compound in the rough part of town, a series of crumbling buildings with a dirt courtyard in the center.

He lived like the king of his little ghetto castle, with a circle of locals who would repair his stuff and run to fetch whatever he needed so he didn’t have to leave the walls. You could just go up to a hole in the wall and people would run up for the chance to go run an errand for a tiny fee. They were old drug addicts and little kids.

I had a pretty good time hanging out in this apocalypse now world with the scary cop with a creepy smile full of secrets but at the same time I hope the locals ended up invading that assholes fortress.

But yeah die antwoord has their moments

420 20
Apr 21, 2020

Bargearse posted:

I have a confession to make. I liked Chappie and paid actual real world dollarydoos to see it at the cinema.

:chloe:

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

It kinda pisses me off most goons here didn't hear about this or seem to not consider this a problem.

I used to like their music in small doses and considered visiting a live show some day but after carefully following the incident shown in above link they're the kind of people I like to kick in the loving teeth repeatedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Death Gripa is cool noisy/proggy-rap if you're into those genres, and probably a treat to watch live from what I hear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cinJDxLUsNY