Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Asgerd posted:

TIL Aubrey Plaza doesn't even remember being on Legend of Korra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7HtWi8JZ2Q&t=82s

A lot of actors kind of sleepwalk through or memory hole voice work. For example, Marina Sirtis doesn't remember recording dialog for Mass Effect 1, even though she's one of its principal villains.

The con panel Q&A where she confesses this is loving hilarious and you should track it down because Marina Sirtis is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Finished TLA and started Korra which I have never really watched.

Hard not to side with the equalists so far between the bending mafias and the fact that the city government is all kids of famous people (complete with towering statues of them glaring down on the plebs, a bunch of whom are colonizes earth kingdomers that never got their land back)

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 10, 2020

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hard not to side with the equalists so far between the bending mafias and the fact that the city government is all kids of famous people (complete with towering statues of them glaring down on the plebs, a bunch of whom are colonizes earth kingdomers that never got their land back)

I think only Tenzin is the son of a famous person. And to be fair he is literally the only air master on the planet. Not like they had a lot of choice with him. Not defending the whole "council of benders" as a ruling party thing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Amon was right

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Amon was a grifter. He didn't want to stop benders, he wanted to be the only bender.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CainFortea posted:

Amon was a grifter. He didn't want to stop benders, he wanted to be the only bender.

FWIW, the writers finally came out and said he really believed everything he said, even if technically you are still correct.

I'd like to recommend the Politicsbending youtube videos after you're done with Korra, OP.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Huh, I didn't really get that impression. I still don't know how much it effects my opinion of the whole arc though.

Even if Amon himself believed in it, few of his adherents seemed to.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If it helps, even though they seem sort of are clearly meant to evoke revolutionaries, they're literally not really pushing any real-world ideologies. They're not pro-democracy, they're not pro-redistribution of wealth, they're just angry about a wholly fictional issue that I don't really think they did much consideration for the overall social implications back when they came up with it.

I mean, one of these days there should be a cartoon about breaking up monarchies to introduce democracy, and I feel like as time goes on, wealthy villains have gotten rarer and when they are there they take a lot of weird steps to distance themselves from actual leftism.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SlothfulCobra posted:

If it helps, even though they seem sort of are clearly meant to evoke revolutionaries, they're literally not really pushing any real-world ideologies. They're not pro-democracy, they're not pro-redistribution of wealth, they're just angry about a wholly fictional issue that I don't really think they did much consideration for the overall social implications back when they came up with it.

I mean, one of these days there should be a cartoon about breaking up monarchies to introduce democracy, and I feel like as time goes on, wealthy villains have gotten rarer and when they are there they take a lot of weird steps to distance themselves from actual leftism.

Star Vs had a controversial ending but basically one of the core themes is how much monarchy sucks for all involved.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmUi8YkPTxE

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Holy poo poo. They made a second one and it's even better. :aaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esIW9BhnWt4

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Man the animation in Korra is leagues better than TLA.

Especially some TLA episodes looked hella wonky. Katara’s facial expression really suffered in those ones for some reason.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never felt like Korra was better with animation. It was much more detailed, but I remember it feeling much stiffer and less fluid, although there was a lot of computer animation spliced in with the hand-drawn stuff. Maybe it's just been a long while since I watched. I know that The Last Airbender was a lot freer with exaggerating motion by going less realistic or breaking from the character model.

I also remember Korra being a lot less interesting with its choreography, but I'm not sure if that's because of just a few really bad fights with just lasers or if it's because of the general demystifaction of bending.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I also remember Korra being a lot less interesting with its choreography, but I'm not sure if that's because of just a few really bad fights with just lasers or if it's because of the general demystifaction of bending.

Even if it wasn't as visually stimulating, I actually enjoyed that bit of world building. The martial arts/bending we see in Korra is exactly what you would expect in a rapidly modernizing world wherein it become more streamlined and less based on form over function. IIRC, even on the commentary, they talk about how the pro-bending bouts in season 1 are supposed to convey this. Just like in professional boxing, you go for quick, hard-to-react-to movements, and over time, styles have be streamlined to waste as little energy as possible. They're not trying to build enough chi to blast a hole in a concrete wall or launch a clay puck fast enough to take a dude's head off.

It's kind of neat how it mirrors our shift to predominately MMA-style combat forms nowadays. Like, the great masters of the traditional styles in the past could still probably get one over any random modern MMA practitioner, but as a whole, we're much better fighters than we used to be on basically every level.

Also, giant dubstep chest lasers. :getin:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh dang, Raphael Sbarge as somebody other than a soft but paranoid love interest. That's nice.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol at the earth queen being Taken Out. Visions of Jet.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

For some reason I run out of steam watching the last season of The Last Airbender. I guess the first season I'm more comfortable just going through without paying much attention, and then season 2 has most of the meat of the show, where I have to pay attention to what's going on, and then by season 3, most of the characters have already reached the pinnacle of their growth (or do so halfway through the season) and while Zuko finding a new dynamic within the group is fun, he doesn't really have enough time to settle into a new groove.

Also here's this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Emp9UA2UCo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the laser eye guy in season 3 of TLA was really stupid and shouldn't have been included

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

indigi posted:

the laser eye guy in season 3 of TLA was really stupid and shouldn't have been included

mods?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The nerve!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Everyone has an officially-licensed JK Rowling Hogwarts House these days, but we who want to base our personalities on magical cartoon martial arts have to rely on fan quizzes. What elements do goons bend?

I get air in most quizzes, sometimes water.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ATLA uber fans who base their identity on the show do so on who they ship, not what nation they're from.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CainFortea posted:

ATLA uber fans who base their identity on the show do so on who they ship, not what nation they're from.

Airbending zutara then, you fuckwit.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lol.

I did make an ATLA table top RPG based on oWoD rule sets a long rear end time ago because we all loved the show so much.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Everyone has an officially-licensed JK Rowling Hogwarts House these days, but we who want to base our personalities on magical cartoon martial arts have to rely on fan quizzes. What elements do goons bend?

I'm a combustion-lightning bender because I'm special and unique and the best

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm a non bender who can't get work in Republic City due to pro-bending prejudice. Element-bending thugs shake me down for money every week.

Later, everyone will claim my problems have been solved by the election of a non-bending President.

They have not.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CainFortea posted:

Lol.

I did make an ATLA table top RPG based on oWoD rule sets a long rear end time ago because we all loved the show so much.

I'm not lying about zutara though. Admit it. Who do you ship?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I ship Jet and Yue

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm not lying about zutara though. Admit it. Who do you ship?

I don't ship them, because I think shipping is weird. I just think it's a cool show. I was just pointing out that the "what house are you?" HP equivalent for ATLA is "Who do you ship?"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I ship the characters with their own personal decisions on who to date because it's none of my business.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think Avatar puts in a good amount of effort to establish that even though there are some basic personality associations with elements, people of all types of personality get born into each of the elements all the time.

As opposed to Harry Potter where all Slytherins are evil, all Ravenclaws are smart, all Hufflepuffs are losers, and so on and so forth.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

CainFortea posted:

Toph/whoever catches her eye.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

Not easy to do.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

grassy gnoll posted:

this is hosed up

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

indigi posted:

this is hosed up

You haven't watched Korra have you? lol!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The finale basically has what looks like Aang and Zuko's royal wedding.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

CainFortea posted:

You haven't watched Korra have you? lol!

:ssh: It's a blind joke.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I only recently watched through atla (after Korra) and figured I’d give the movie a shot to see how bad it is.

It’s bad. Just rushing through entire plot arcs and payoff with like 5 minutes of exposition and it happened constantly. Bad acting, whitewashing, bad effects... just bad bad bad

Not even worth a hate-watch imo (I didn’t even finish it).

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

That's a shame, you missed the best scene, where a man stabs a fish to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Talk about a bunch of buzzkill benders.

Also yeah the Shyamalan movie is truly shocking.