Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What should I play next in the C&C Universe?
This poll is closed.
Twisted Insurrection 8 8.00%
Mental Omega 12 12.00%
Renegade X 20 20.00%
The next official C&C game 56 56.00%
Other [Thread's choice] 4 4.00%
Total: 100 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Nod infantryman, patrolling a narrow corridor deep in the bowels of a massive cargo ship: "Watch for snipers."

E: New video on previous page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SoggyBobcat posted:

Nod infantryman, patrolling a narrow corridor deep in the bowels of a massive cargo ship: "Watch for snipers."

E: New video on previous page!

Havoc, throwing back jagermeisters at the bar.

"And then there was this one time I crossed a Black Hand soldier in between doors of this ship, so I plugged him with 3 rounds from my sniper rifle. Point blank! Did I mention I shot him left-handed?"

The bartender groans again...

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
This level features the first of two otherwise multiplayer only weapons in the hands of an npc: the shotgun. I can see why they'd want to introduce it in this fairly compact indoors level but decided against it because the low ammo capacity would lead to lots of awkward reloads at point blank range.

The map layout is indeed confusing but gets somewhat easier if you visualize it sideways as a grid: The ship is laid out in rows of compartments and columns of decks. Most decks beside the red keycard return path from the bridge to the submarine pool are all connected within their compartment.

There are indeed 4 helicopters, though only the last one will attack you/has an objective for you to kill it.

As to the nature of the ship, between the submarine dock and there being weapon systems all over the so called "cargo ship", I'd assume that is a deliberate misrepresentation by NOD to disguise the fact that it's used as mobile helipad and submarine base. The only cargo containers on the deck are arrayed in a hollow figure 8 around the helipad and SAM launcher to obscure them from view.

Lastly, there's a funny typo in the subtitles at the end of the mission:

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
For some reason I always thought the grenade launcher was multiplayer only as well. Might have to do with how I only remember getting lost in this level and one time accidentally sequence breaking it by going through a locked door the moment an enemy walked through it. If you told me half of all players quit playing in this mission I would believe you.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Clearly Havoc is into BDSM play, which involves dressing up as pre-1920 naval ships.

Also fighting chefs are probably a reference to the fact that ex-Navy SEALs are routinely given jobs as cooks on board boats and/or trains.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 26, 2021

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kangra posted:

Clearly Havoc is into BDSM play, which involves dressing up as pre-1920 naval ships.

Boarding Deep Sea Machines, hell yes.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Don't kink shame Havok's sub play, OP :colbert:

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Somehow the first time I played this level I managed to lock myself in one of the higher-security level areas before picking up the second or third keycard, I think an enemy opened up one of them and I managed to get through before it closed without noticing. I ended up getting stuck for the better part of an hour trying to figure out how to get back to main path before having to give up and restart the mission.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

kvx687 posted:

Somehow the first time I played this level I managed to lock myself in one of the higher-security level areas before picking up the second or third keycard, I think an enemy opened up one of them and I managed to get through before it closed without noticing. I ended up getting stuck for the better part of an hour trying to figure out how to get back to main path before having to give up and restart the mission.

My personal memory is that I somehow managed to softlock the level by doing the objectives in an unexpected order, which apparently prevented the objectives from updating or something important from spawning.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Thats literally what happened to me too :v:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That flamethrower exists for various culinary purposes, the crèmes brûlées and meringues require it.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

SIGSEGV posted:

That flamethrower exists for various culinary purposes, the crèmes brûlées and meringues require it.

From 30 feet away?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dale-Taco posted:

From 30 feet away?

Say what you want but the Brotherhood of NOD still observes COVID-19 restrictions wherever possible.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Dale-Taco posted:

From 30 feet away?

Time saving measure, get an entire batch for a whole mess serving done in a single minute!

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Also, I think the "updating radar flags" is the small radar adding new enemies due to z-level differences. So as you ascend to the upper decks it displays upper deck enemies that weren't shown while you were downstairs.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

My personal memory is that I somehow managed to softlock the level by doing the objectives in an unexpected order, which apparently prevented the objectives from updating or something important from spawning.

Same here, really disliked this level, remembered just wandering around lost gunning down respawning enemies for a solid hour or so. Least the music is a nice remix of the C&C1 Industrial song though, only thing that is chill about this darn level, although the endlessly overlapping voice clips of enemies is at least kinda silly. Do like the dedication of that Technician though, friend gunned down and still just cleaning up Tiberium sludge, hoping beyond hope that pesky commando just leaves.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Man, I don't remember ANY of these levels past the first two. And I know I played further than this because we still haven't done the other level I remember.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

FoolyCharged posted:

Man, I don't remember ANY of these levels past the first two. And I know I played further than this because we still haven't done the other level I remember.

based on what I remember from Renegade there are a great number of forgettable levels. It seemed to be a thing in FPS campaigns at the time; they had good ideas for like 4 missions but also put in another 12. I can think of several of Renegade's peers which did this too.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

Honestly forgot that the volcano/ship level was this early, could have sworn that there was another level at least before them. Then again, the 2nd level IS pretty monstrous in size soooo...

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Renegade might honestly be the C&C game that has aged the worst.
I still enjoy it enough that I played through it again a couple years back.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mission 05: Deadly Reunion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tvbj5LDVh8
Renegade 05: Deadly Reunion

After making up for earlier loses with the return of several GDI prisoners from the [REDACTED] Nod Freighter, Havoc immediately jeopardizes the Commando team DEAD-6 by invoking cliche tropes, causing the potential death of all his ex-teammates. In true Havoc fashion, he proceeds to reveal his position and get more friendlies killed when his chopper is destroyed.

Objective: Locate and Rescue the GDI prisoners DEAD-6 members

Author's note: Now we're getting into truly long maps, with tons of units all over, hiding in wait to murder you. I had to cut out two major portions thanks missing an objective.

Name: Nick Parker
Aliases: Havoc, Five Alive
Affiliation: GDI
Voiced/Played by: Wally Wingert

Havoc is a Commando within the Global Defense Initiative's forces, ready and willing to take any fight to the Brotherhood of Nod. Commandeers (un)friendly vehicles in record time. Delivers terrible one-liners on purpose, or so he claims. Has a thing of Sakura. Learned to shoot left-handed, for sport.

Name: BGen Locke
Aliases: None
Occupation: Commander of the Global Defense Initiative Special Forces
Voiced/Played by: David Lodge

The commanding officer for Havoc and other Special Forces, Brigadier General Locke displays an excellent sense of patience and decor, especially in the face of the more unruly members he commands. Chief officer of GDI Special War Operations, Brigadier General Adam Locke began his military career in the British Army. Locke has commanded Havoc for two years running.

Name: Nigel Grant
Aliases: Gunner, The [REDACTED] Gun
Voiced/Played by: Andre Sogliuzzo

Future Majima expy, Gunner is the weapons expert for the tutorial. Stands 5'10" tall and weighing 74kg, according to what I can make out of his bio. Nigel Grant was born on the wrong side of London. Nigel was seconded to GDI through the British SBS (Special Boat Services), the British equivalent of the American Navy SEALs.

Name: Shai Aviv
Aliases: Hotwire
Voiced/Played by: Unknown

Hotwire is the vehicle expert for the tutorial. She's supposedly dead, standing 5'10" tall and weighing 74kg, according to what I can make out of her bio. Shai Aviv is a tough-as-nails commando and a woman of few words. She came to GDI from the MOSSAD, where she served with distinction.

Name: Erich Wulfe
Aliases: Patch

Patch is the explosives expert of the Dead-6 team. Stands 5'10" tall and weighing 74kg, according to what I can make out of his bio. Born in Berlin, Erich Wulfe found himself street-wise at an early age. He came to the attention of GDI as a member of the GS9, a German paramilitary/counter-terrorist organization.

Name: Dariel MacInnis
Aliases: Deadeye

Patch is the explosives expert of the Dead-6 team. Stands 5'10" tall and weighing 74kg, according to what I can make out of his bio. Originally from Scotland, Dariel MacInnis was involved with the Special Air Service before joining GDI. He is a top marksman, with a nearly flawless strike record from 200 meters and beyond.

Babushka
Weapon: None
Purpose: Resistance Leader

Members of the resistance call her Babushka, Lola Merkova has been a town figurehead for many years.

Mendoza
Weapon: Flamethrower
Purpose: Assassin

Carlos Mendoza joined NOD when his methods became too bloody for even the most extreme extremists. He is loyal to Raveshaw and the Brotherhood, provided money doesn't run out.

Flame Tank
Weapon: Twin Flamethrowers
Purpose: Anti-Personnel Vehicle

Though inefficient as a long-range assault unit, the Flame Tank is devastating in close quarters and narrow alleyways. Destroy it with rockets at range.

Aftermath:

We all got to witness this beautiful man.

[DEATHS: 06]

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

..They're all the exact same height and weight? :aaaaa:

E:

So that little piece of the map around 12:23... that's straight up copied from cs_italy. Wow.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 1, 2021

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

THE BAR posted:

..They're all the exact same height and weight? :aaaaa:

E:

So that little piece of the map around 12:23... that's straight up copied from cs_italy. Wow.

GDI has VERY exact hiring requirements for their Special Forces. Also, the intro to this mission with the Flame Tank burning down all those civilians is a massive nod(no pun intended) to the Flame Tank intro from C&C1, right down to the architecture and overall design of the buildings. Sadly, as shown, the Flame Tank in Renegade is a far cry from the murder machine it was in C&C1, as its' flame jets just have such inconsistent hitboxes to render it almost worthless vs infantry aka, the main thing it is supposed to counter. Did like how Mendoza just kind of no-clipped down through the ground though at his little "ambush" at the crashed chopper. Speaking of those, man, both GDI and NOD's military budget must be crying from all these lost choppers every single mission. Interesting that this mission takes place in France though, guess taking the path to assist Ukraine vs Germany is canon then. :raise:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I can imagine the attack bike maybe didn't get implemented because it's a two-wheeled vehicle, it seems different enough from everything else that it would require a decent amount of work to make work satisfyingly.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

And this was the other level I remembered. It's very evocative of the French resistance stuff in the ww2 dominated media of the time.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I know you announced it in advance, but was cutting yourself off at 24:40 in the middle of your sentence intentional?
And yes, from what I understand the Flame Tank is supposed to be NODs equivalent to the Mammoth in this game, but it *really* doesn't compare. At least it has a lot of armor?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nuramor posted:

I know you announced it in advance, but was cutting yourself off at 24:40 in the middle of your sentence intentional?
And yes, from what I understand the Flame Tank is supposed to be NODs equivalent to the Mammoth in this game, but it *really* doesn't compare. At least it has a lot of armor?

Yeah, there wasn't a really good spot to cut. :shrug:

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

The surprise snipers were definetly my number 1 cause of death back when I played this. The second was turning a corner and taking a rocket to the face.

IIRC the health/armor upgrades are +5 on normal difficulty, along with 100 base health/armor, and then hard difficulty reduces everything by 25%. (Of course, given my recollection of how elevators worked, this should probably be taken with a grain of salt.)

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

PurpleXVI posted:

I can imagine the attack bike maybe didn't get implemented because it's a two-wheeled vehicle, it seems different enough from everything else that it would require a decent amount of work to make work satisfyingly.

The recon bike is actually in the game engine if you re-enable it, looking exactly like the one in the cutscene. It's a lot of work, but you can mod any vehicle spawn point to replace it with a bike and it's fully drivable. I've not done it myself, but I'm told you quickly realise why Westwood disabled it - absurdly fast, but doesn't feel like a bike at all.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Theres a comment on the video stating its as driveable as the light tank. So not at all :v:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Theres a comment on the video stating its as driveable as the light tank. So not at all :v:

I have a theory about the weird handling of the light tank. I'll talk about it more when we get to the relevant mission.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i've never had any trouble with the handling of the light tank, and also i have never driven it facing forwards ever since i found the camera option that lets you actually rotate the dang turret and camera all the way around. backwards tanks > forwards tanks

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I think the game intends you do visit the chateau escapee before dealing with the obelisk because the new weapon is amazing against helicopters.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mission 06: The Grip of the Black Hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QUrFEVE6fY
Renegade 06: The Grip of the Black Hand

With the town and Cathedral secured, Havoc takes it upon himself to go on a rescue mission, alone, of the GDI Tiberium Experts. The upcoming stealth mission will require the utmost patience, care, and silence to successfully complete, qualities that a man like Nick "HAVOC" Parker is surely well suited for!

Objective: Locate and Rescue the GDI prisoners DEAD-6 members GDI Tiberium Researchers... again

Author's note: Despite having a crack team of Commandos at our disposal, Havoc absolutely need to go on a rescue mission by himself. I also miss two tertiary objectives that I only just learned about, one for a 2nd allied personnel, and another for a secret cache of weapons.

Name: Nick Parker
Aliases: Havoc, Five Alive
Voiced/Played by: Wally Wingert

Havoc is a Commando within the Global Defense Initiative's forces, ready and willing to take any fight to the Brotherhood of Nod. Commandeers (un)friendly vehicles in record time. Delivers terrible one-liners on purpose, or so he claims. Has a thing of Sakura. Learned to shoot left-handed, for sport.

Name: Nigel Grant
Aliases: Gunner, The [REDACTED] Gun
Voiced/Played by: Andre Sogliuzzo

Future Majima expy, Gunner is the weapons expert for the tutorial. Stands 5'10" tall and weighing 74kg, according to what I can make out of his bio. Nigel Grant was born on the wrong side of London. Nigel was seconded to GDI through the British SBS (Special Boat Services), the British equivalent of the American Navy SEALs.

Ceiling Camera
Weapon: None
Purpose: Security Camera

Ceiling Cameras are frequently hooked into internal security systems. Avoid prolonged exposure to prevent setting off alarms.

Ceiling Gun
Weapon: Automated Machine Gun
Purpose: Stationary Turret

A difficult to spot and deadly target, the Ceiling Gun is a mounted menace. The target acquisition time for these weapons is slow, so try to eliminate them before they get adjusted.

Aftermath:

One of three of the GDI scientists rescued; the Black Hand Assassin, Mendoza, is KIA; Former Dead-6 member, Sakura, is MIA.

[DEATHS: 06]

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So what actually happens if they trigger an alarm? Instant mission over or just a lot of dudes to kill?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

PurpleXVI posted:

So what actually happens if they trigger an alarm? Instant mission over or just a lot of dudes to kill?

I believe that enemies spawn in, but I forget if I've seen it mentioned in the guide. An alarm being triggered does call enemies to your location, at the very least.

Edit: The Guide states it triggers a wave of reinforcements in the entry for the "weapon" but no mention is made for the mission specifically. :shrug:

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 8, 2021

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Did you skip the library because you want to show off the new weapon in a later mission or just that guide lacking info on tertiary objectives again?

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

My memory of the order of these missions is all off. I thought this one happened a lot later and several ones we haven't seen yet are way earlier...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Asehujiko posted:

Did you skip the library because you want to show off the new weapon in a later mission or just that guide lacking info on tertiary objectives again?

I literally missed the two other tertiary objectives, both times I played this! We'll see the new weapon soon enough, though, so its not an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I enjoy the little touch of Raveshaw having a statue of himself - but taller - in front of his mansion.