Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Keldulas posted:

The stuff with Jack is... painful. Especially the part where they let you call Jack, but then Lauren truly can't say anything. Sometimes the impulse to do something like that can help, but here it just highlights the problem.

Makes me cringe. Very well written there.

Yeah, it's very well done, especially given we know that Lauren and Jack do eventually get back in contact. So we see Lauren struggling with it here but not able to get ahold of the situation yet.

Glazius posted:

Poor Joey. I guess when you're laid up for 25 years there's nothing to do but strength training, specter style.

Ghosts can harbor pretty powerful delusions, can't they? We never really saw that in the previous game.

It's probably things like getting knocked in the head repeatedly with a ghost saxophone that convinced Joey to just sort ghosts out with repeated punches to the guts in modern day. Forget talking with the delusional assholes!

Next update is on its way very soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Update 3

So now we have a ghost playing a saxophone on the Roosevelt Island Promenade, and claiming to be on the stage at Johnny Ivory's, but we don't know anything else about him. Let's see if we can change that.

:siren: Johnny Ivory's :siren:

Lauren and Joey find themselves in a atmospheric little jazz bar. A pianist plays the blues, but there is absolutely nobody else here, not even a bartender.

Lauren: He seems to be enjoying himself, even though there's nobody here to listen to him. This place is empty. Good. The less people, the better.

Much as for the promenade, the track for Johnny Ivory's contains only one instrument, to fit the character present. It's a neat touch, though I personally prefer the sound Regin makes with multiple instruments.

Apparently Lauren is fairly keen on the pianist, as Joey notices.

Joey: There she is. Eyeing the bar. And that piano player. He's a swinger past him prime. Not bad on the piano, though. I just wish he'd keep his eyes on the keys.

The jealousy is very evident in Joey's voice here.

Before speaking with the pianist, Lauren checks out a photo on the wall.

Lauren: That's him. The jazzman ghost from the promenade. Looks like we're on the right track.

Immediately, she recognises the saxophone player in the photo as the ghost from Roosevelt Island. He played here, alright. Rosa also notices the girl.

Lauren: The only thing holding up that dress is fate. Pretty girl, though. I wonder who she is.

The important clue here is down the bottom on the plaque.

Lauren: Courtesy of Jambalaya Records... Hm. Might be worth checking out.

We'll be ducking back off to the apartment to look them up soon, but for now, Lauren stops to chat to the pianist.

Lauren is not above turning up the charm when it suits her.

Pianist: Yes?
Lauren: Got a minute?
Pianist: For a pretty thing like you, I got several.
Joey: Hmph.

Apparently neither is the pianist, much to Joey's displeasure.

C: So what brings you here on such a sad night?

Lauren has three choices of how to respond, though all three are basically to flirt with the pianist. She can tell the truth:

Lauren: I'm on a case.
Pianist: Is that right?
Lauren: Oh yes. Very top secret.
Pianist: Sounds dangerous.
Lauren: Very.
Pianist: A guy could get into trouble, hanging 'round a girl like you.

She can say she's looking for a company (complete with amusing dig at Joey):

Lauren: Just looking for good company.
Pianist: Is that right? Have you found it yet?
Lauren: Not yet. You could say that bad company always follows me around.
Joey: Oh, ha ha.

Or she can pretend she's here for the music:

Lauren: I just love music.
Pianist: Well how about that? I just happen to make music. It's a match made in heaven.

The pianist has a fantastically smooth, deep voice that just drips with confidence. With the ice sufficiently broken, Lauren introduces herself.

Lauren: I'm Lauren. What's your name?
Pianist: Pleasure's all mine, Lauren. You can call me C.
Lauren: C.
C: You got it, sister.

"C"? That's clearly not his full name, which Lauren queries him about.

Lauren: Is that "sea" like the water?
C: That's C like the chord. It's the first chord I played, and you never forget your first.
Lauren: Ain't that the truth.

C continues to play as he blatantly flirts with Lauren.

Lauren: It's okay for me to talk to you like this?
C: I don't hear anybody else complaining.
Lauren: Dull night, huh?
C: You could say that. But I think it just got a bit more interesting.
Lauren: Is that right?
C: These lips don't lie.

Joey is less impressed with C's lines than Lauren is, to say the least.

Lauren: You know any other musicians?
C: I do run in those circles, yeah.
Lauren: Any of them play here?
C: Sometimes we get major gigs here. But me? I'm what you call the dependable type. These fingers can go all night long.
Lauren: Can they now?

Hahaha, C has a fantastic knack for making every single line sound smooth, no matter how ridiculous it looks in words.

It's not really made clear here whether Lauren likes C, or if she's just flirting with him to get information. I like to imagine it's both.

C: Well, I'll try to help you out. Who is he?
Lauren: I don't know his name. I think he's a sax player.
C: I know lotsa sax players, sister.
Lauren: Big guy? Kind of chubby? Has a beard?
C: Nope. Doesn't ring a bell.

Surprisingly, once Lauren starts asking questions about the saxophone player, C is suddenly short on words. This strikes Lauren as odd, given there is a photo match the description on the wall right behind C.

Lauren: About that sax player...
C: Yeah?
Lauren: He's in that photo behind you.
C: Is he now?
Lauren: Yeah. Do you know him?

C's answers are definitely getting short now.

C: That picture is old, sister.
Lauren: It's not that old.
C: Old enough. Before my time, is all. Don't know who that is. Sorry.
Lauren: Are you sure you don't recognise him?
C: Yeah.

He's clammed up now. We'll need to get more information from elsewhere before we get anything out of him.

Lauren: See you around.
C: Any time, sister.

:siren: Lauren's Theme (Alternative) :siren:

Joey: Yeah, Doll?

With C suddenly tight-lipped, and nobody else at Johnny Ivory's to question, Lauren and Joey head back to the apartment to work out their next move. First up they have a bit of a chat.

Lauren: I need a change in my life, Joey.
Joey: A change? The day-to-day grind of freeing tormenting spirits getting to boring for you?
Lauren: No. I'm thinking of changing the wallpaper. How does pink sound to you?
Joey: Pink? You're not a pink person.
Lauren: It would brighten up the place.
Joey: No. Pink.

I really do love their banter :3:

Lauren: I am so tired. I just want to relax and smoke a cigarette.
Joey: Since when do you need an excuse to smoke a cigarette?
Lauren: Good point.

Sure enough, Lauren immediately whips out a cigarette and smokes it. Way to be an enabler, Joey :colbert:

Lauren: I guess we'd better get out there and finish this thing.
Joey: After you.

Lauren: Here we go. Jambalaya Records. 240 Essex Street. I'll jot that down.

Quickly looking up Jambalaya, Lauren finds a record studio which seems a likely candidate.

I like the way the phone book is used in the game. It's not a puzzle as such, but it does require the user to stop and think about what needs to be looked up. My suspicion is that Gilbert received a lot of complaints about Rosa not making obvious logical deductions until the player combined notepad clues together, and so he wanted to include more puzzles where there is an obvious next step you need to take after making the logical deductions. Figuring out that Jambalaya is the next place to investigate immediately clues you in to look in the phone book.

:siren: Jambalaya Records :siren:

Surprisingly, Jambalaya Records has a man still doing paperwork at a desk at this time of night.

Joey: Burning the midnight oil, eh? He's either really dedicated, or has nothing worth going home to.

Joey likes the jazz/reggae music here, but apparently Lauren doesn't think much of it.

Joey: Look at her. Not a flicker of interest on her face. She wouldn't know good music if she was slapped with it.

Contrary to the written dialogue, Joey's actor voices this line as "She wouldn't know good music if it kissed her". I'm not sure if Gilbert changed the dialogue later, or if Abe Goldfarb who plays Joey just decided to adlib. Probably the former, since the spoken line doesn't really make any sense.

Dwayne: Good evening to you. I'm Dwayne.
Lauren: Lauren Blackwell. I was hoping you could help me.
Dwayne: I'll do my best. What can I do for you?

Dwayne has the kind of "Ya mon!" Jamaican accent you can only get from an American trying to put on a fake Jamaican accent. This is one issue that Gilbert ran into with these games - whenever he had to cast anyone for a role with an accent, or a particularly old/young role, he didn't have the budget to do it, so he usually got his standard young adult, white voice actors to just put a voice on. From memory, he mentions that in later games he just stopped writing parts for those characters since the voices never worked out that well.

Lauren: So what is this place?
Dwayne: This? This is a music agency. We manage bands, do promotions, things like that. You know? Well, by "we" I really mean "me."
Lauren: You do this all by yourself?
Dwayne: Yep. One man operation, that's me.
Lauren: What sort of music do you manage?
Dwayne: Mostly jazz and reggae. Nobody famous. Most small timers have trouble getting their foot in the door. Getting gigs in small clubs, helping with recording sessions, you know. The basic stuff that musicians don't want to deal with.

A one-man operation is a good sign. We're almost certainly speaking to the man who managed the band the saxophone player was in.

Lauren: You're open late.
Dwayne: Really? Yeah, I suppose I am. I learned to work musician hours, you know. YOu play a gig at night and have a problem, you want someone to call.

"Like turning up as ghosts on some promenade, perhaps?"

Dwayne: Don't get me started.

Lauren cuts to the chase.

Lauren: I'm looking for a sax player.
Dwayne: Well, I can definitely help you there. You looking for a stand in? Or something more long-term?
Lauren: Oh, no. Sorry. I'm not with a band. I'm looking for a specific sax player.
Dwayne: Well if he's a client of mine, I can help you. What's his name?

Now this is an issue. We don't know his name, but we do know he was in the photo at Johnny Ivory's.

Lauren: That's the problem. But he's in a photograph that your company took.
Dwayne: Really? Can I see it?
Lauren: I don't have it.
Dwayne: Then I don't know what to say.

Lauren's solution is for Dwayne to just leave his work and waltz over to Johnny Ivory's, which probably isn't going to happen.

Lauren: I'll show you that photograph I told you about.
Dwayne: I wish I COULD, you know? But I have a ton of work to do. Maybe another time?
Lauren: Yeah, sure. Thanks for the help. I might be back later.
Dwayne: No problem.

Dwayne is another of the four people who can be photographed in the game, unlocking another set of hidden features.

Come to think of it..... the camera is how we can solve this puzzle.

Oh, first of all, let's photograph Cecil, the third of four people who unlock hidden features. These get knocked off pretty early.

Before photographing the picture, Lauren can try just asking for a copy of the photo...

Lauren: Do you have a copy of that photograph anywhere?
C: Nope. Sorry.

...but that goes nowhere.

So we just take a snap instead.

Armed with a photo of a photo, Lauren marches back to Jambalaya Records.

Lauren: Do you know this band?
Dwayne: Oh yeah! I remember those guys. The C-Sharps.

The C-Sharps... that's a pretty distinctive name.

Lauren: That was the band's name?
Dwayne: Yeah. I used to manage them.
Lauren: You used to manage them... but not anymore?
Dwayne: Nah. Been about... eight? Ten years? Time flies, you know?

Perhaps C was right about the photo being old, then. Lauren keeps hitting Dwayne up for information.

Dwayne: Oh, they were strictly lounge jazz, you know? But I saw 'em doing more. They really gelled, you know?
Lauren: Gelled?
Dwayne: In-tune with each other. And that lady had a voice like velvet.
Lauren: What happened to them?
Dwayne: Dunno. They disappeared. Got them a few gigs, and cut a record, and that was it. They moved on, or just broke up. It happens, you know?

Well, that's some information at least! With any luck, Lauren and Joey will be able to determine the ghost's identity soon. Head on back tomorrow to see the next update!

Bonus Easter Egg!

If you take the Case List and use it on the chair in the foreground several times, C's head literally detaches itself from his body and shoots off cackling into the air. I'm not kidding. Look:

In the Steam version, this act unlocks a "Floating Head" achievement. The explanation for this existing at all is that Gilbert decided to have artist Robinson animate C's head separately from his body, so that he could continue playing the piano as normal while altering facial expressions without needing to have all those animations separately. Robinson jokingly commented that he would need to be careful to ensure the head doesn't end up floating off the body, and therefore the Easter egg was born.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 27, 2014

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Soooooo... Who wants to make a bet that the first chord C learnt was actually C-Sharp, eh? It fits so drat nicely. Still, as much as he's most likely a filthy liar, god-drat, he is a smooth talker. Maybe you could lay his fruity tones on some people to illustrate that he really is the closest Dave Gilbert could get to Barry White. Also, sadly, another american trying to do a different accent. Specifically, Cajun in this case.

I guess that's why his cheesy lines fit so easily. After all, I can think of at least two other Cajun chaps in fiction who are drat smooth: Gabriel Knight and Gambit.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
That lady's dress clearly has straps on her shoulders, Laura, it's not only held up by fate!

I think my knowledge of adventure games has gone soft, though, at the moment I'd be stuck with a 'so what do I do now' sense. Probably go back to the apartment and talk to Joey again, hope something else pops up. Maybe go bug the pianist who seems to have some connection with the C-sharps. I'd guess he knows who the sax player is, or has some relation to him, the way he clammed up.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

JamieTheD posted:

Soooooo... Who wants to make a bet that the first chord C learnt was actually C-Sharp, eh? It fits so drat nicely. Still, as much as he's most likely a filthy liar, god-drat, he is a smooth talker. Maybe you could lay his fruity tones on some people to illustrate that he really is the closest Dave Gilbert could get to Barry White. Also, sadly, another american trying to do a different accent. Specifically, Cajun in this case.

I guess that's why his cheesy lines fit so easily. After all, I can think of at least two other Cajun chaps in fiction who are drat smooth: Gabriel Knight and Gambit.

I might look into recording a sequence of his dialogue just to link it, though it will probably be in a couple of days as I'm away for work and only using a crappy laptop. (I recorded the image files for the upcomimg updates before I left and took them with me)

Was he Cajun, though? I mostly got the sense that he was just trying to be a really smooth jazz playing dude.

For anyone wanting to hear his voice, he can be heard doing a mock commercials here: http://voice123.com/daryllathon

Geomancing posted:

That lady's dress clearly has straps on her shoulders, Laura, it's not only held up by fate!

I think my knowledge of adventure games has gone soft, though, at the moment I'd be stuck with a 'so what do I do now' sense. Probably go back to the apartment and talk to Joey again, hope something else pops up. Maybe go bug the pianist who seems to have some connection with the C-sharps. I'd guess he knows who the sax player is, or has some relation to him, the way he clammed up.

Probably another case of the dialogue being written before the picture was drawn.

And yeah, this case has a lot of back and forth talking with the various people involved. Talk to one, then go talk to the next, then the next, then talk to the first again. Though there is a rather obscure part coming up.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Cmndstab, why did you skip over this game in the series? :v:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

EagerSleeper posted:

Cmndstab, why did you skip over this game in the series? :v:

Hahaha, I hadn't seen that :3: I have to check it out tonight!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What? We solved a puzzle just by sensibly taking a picture of the thing we needed to show someone else? We didn't have to enact an elaborate ruse to steal it?

What kind of adventure game is this?

Assoonasitits
Dec 11, 2007

I guess frogout is too polite to simply say "begone".

Glazius posted:

What? We solved a puzzle just by sensibly taking a picture of the thing we needed to show someone else? We didn't have to enact an elaborate ruse to steal it?

Remember that we also did not enact an elaborate ruse to escape the psychiatric hospital earlier, though we did enact one to enter.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Glazius posted:

Assoonasitits posted:

Remember that we also did not enact an elaborate ruse to escape the psychiatric hospital earlier, though we did enact one to enter.

Somewhere, a former Sierra programmer is weeping that the camera didn't explode and kill Lauren because she forgot to check it before using it.

Next update is on it's way!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Update 4

Having learned that the saxophone player was in a band called the C-Sharps, Lauren heads back to Johnny Ivory's to see whether C will now be more talkative.

C: Hello there.
Lauren: Do you know anything about "The C Sharps?"
C: ... The C-Sharps? Nah. Nah, never heard of them.

The pregnant pause here betrays C's recognition.

Lauren: Are you SURE you don't know anything about "The C Sharps?"
C: Positive.
Lauren: There's a picture of them right behind you.
C: Lots of pictures appear on that wall. I just work here. I don't know it's entire history. Now, you mind? I gotta gig to finish.

By this stage, C is really started to get worked up, with the calm, smooth voice completely gone.

Unfortunately, he's clammed up good now. Lauren decides to try talking to the ghost again instead.

Lauren: Guess we'll never know now.

But not before a tiny slice of banter! :3:

:siren: Isaac's Lament :siren:

Joey: We've got company.

Upon arriving back at the promenade, however, Lauren and Joey find a strange old lady loitering. Almost immediately, she approaches Lauren.

Crazy lady: Can you see?
Lauren: Pardon?
Crazy lady: Can't you SEE?
Lauren: See WHAT, lady?
Crazy lady: The whole of the world? Connections. Patterns. Pulsing with life... everywhere.
Joey: Oh great. one of New York's finest crazies. Do something about this old bat, will you?

Fantastic, as if we didn't have enough people out of their mind to deal with already. Lauren can either be subtle:

Lauren: Look, I'm a bit busy right now. I don't have time for this.

Be direct:

Lauren: Go away, will ya? Bother someone who cares.

Or in a stunning display of charity, offer one of her cherished cigarettes:

Lauren: Do you want money? Cuz I don't have any. How bout a cigarette?

But whatever Lauren says, the lady just gets angry and starts screaming.

Crazy lady: FOOL! LIAR! Can't you SEE?
Lauren: Um...
Crazy lady: Useless.

She storms off before turning back to yell at Lauren once more.

Joey: Wow.
Lauren: I know.
Joey: Only in New York.

With that bit of excitement having passed, Lauren comments on the ghost saxophone player.

Joey: Yeah. A real slugger. He might change his tune, if he knew he was dead.
Lauren: He really clobbered you one, huh?
Joey: Yeah yeah. Laugh it up.

Joey is still pretty pissed about getting hit so often earlier.

Lauren: So what do you think?
Joey: Think? I THINK that guy needs a good sock in the jaw.
Lauren: Still bitter?
Joey: Those ghost saxophones hurt.

Time to ask about the C-Sharps.

Joey: Tell me about "The C Sharps".
Ghost: what are you, crazy? Get offa here!

But, of course, that just leads to Joey getting clonked again by the saxophone :3:

Joey: Owww.

This approach isn't working, nobody's talking. Time to be a little more sneaky about this.

Lauren: It's his sheet music. He's barely looking at it. He must know this song by heart.

Perhaps there is some useful information on the sheet music? Unfortunately, Lauren won't simply take it.

Lauren: I can't just TAKE the sheet music. That would be... rude.

Since when have you ever worried about that, Lauren?

Of course, nothing prevents Joey from simply floating over C's shoulder and peeking at the music.

Joey: He's written something at the top of the sheet. "Property of Cecil Sharpe?" Aww. How sweet. Maybe his mommy signed it for him.

"Cecil Sharpe"? I think I see where this is going. Lauren talks to C again.

Lauren: Is your name Cecil Sharpe?
C: Now who went and told you that?
Lauren: Oh, you could say a little bird told me.
Joey: Tweet tweet.

Hahahaha, I love Joey's interjections :3:

C: Well you won't go tell nobody will you?
Lauren: Lips are sealed.

She waits about a second before following it up with:

Lauren: So, Cecil...
C: Oh maaan. That hurts, sister. That really does.
Lauren: Heh. Sorry.

In a puzzle reminiscent of Legacy, Lauren won't make the obvious connection here until you combine notebook clues.

Lauren: Cecil Sharpe. The C Sharps.
Joey: Cute. Real cute.

Joey will even speak with Lauren about the name if we head back to the apartment now:

Joey: "C Sharps", "Cecil Sharpe." Ugh.
Lauren: What's wrong with that?
Joey: It's too cute, darling. I don't trust cute.
Lauren: Really? You trust me, don't you?
Joey: Yeah, exactly.

Tee hee :3:

Lauren confronts Cecil with this extremely unlikely coincidence. By this stage, Cecil is not smiling when Lauren approaches anymore.

C: ... What makes you think that?
Lauren: Oh, just the names. C Sharps. Cecil Sharpe. It's a pretty strong coincidence, wouldn't you say?
C: Yeah, I guess.
Lauren: So, what's your answer.
C: No.

This dude is seriously stubborn.

Lauren: You're sure that you never played in a band called "The C Sharps."
C: How many times do I have to tell you?

Ghost: Get. Off. The. STAGE! What's wrong with you? Get outta here!

And saxophone ghost guy just belts Joey with the Saxophone one more time.

Joey: Ouch!

:siren: Jambalaya Theme (Alternative) :siren:

So Lauren heads back to Dwayne to see what he knows.

Dwayne: Cecil Sharpe... C Sharps... Yes! I knew I heard the name from somewhere.
Lauren: So you remember him now?
Dwayne: Oh yeah. He was the band leader. A genius on the piano.

Bingo. There's confirmation.

I've linked the alternative theme for Jambalaya here. It's probably the weakest of the alternative themes, a bit of a light Jamaican tune that sounds like something from the original Monkey Island. My guess is that Regin sent the draft theme to Gilbert, who told him to tone it down a little bit, and so it was never properly finished.

Anyway, with Dwayne confirming that Cecil played for the C Sharps, it's time for Lauren to back Cecil into a corner.

C: I said-
Lauren: I know what you said. And I know that you're lying. So shut the hell up and listen.

Lauren is starting to get annoyed at the runaround here, and starts raising her voice. This section of the game has pretty much been a dialogue fetch quest.

Lauren: I spoke to your old manager. He confirmed who you are.
C: You spoke to Dwayne?
Lauren: Yes I did.
C: That...

Finally.

C: You got me. YES, I used to run a band called "The C Sharps". It was a rotten time in my life, and I'd just as soon forget it. Why're you stirring up these old ashes, huh?
Lauren: I have my reasons.
C: Yeah, sure you do.

Cecil has completely lost his charm by now, and has become sulky and angry.

Lauren: About that sax player...
C: Yeah?
Lauren: He's in that photo behind you. So, I know that he was with "The C Sharps", and that you know him.
C: What... what is this? You from that drat magazine?

Magazine? Apparently Lauren isn't the first to be asking questions of Cecil.

Lauren: Magazine?
C: "The New Yorker." You a reporter?
Lauren: No. So who is he?

I like the way Lauren doesn't even try bullshitting Cecil.

C: You wanna know so badly? His name is Isaac Brown.
Lauren: Isaac Brown?
C: YES. You happy now?
Lauren: Ecstatic.
C: Great.

Finally, we have the ghost saxophone player's name. Isaac Brown. Now to see what else we can find out from Cecil.

Lauren: What can you tell me about Isaac Brown?
C: Him? He's a bum. A drunk. A nobody. A lowlife. He's also dead.
Lauren: How did he die?
C: Someone strangled him to death with his bare hands.

C is fairly churlish here. He sounds almost pleased that Isaac is dead.

Lauren: You don't seem very upset by this.
C: No, but... Last time someone asked about Isaac, it was some reporter from "The New Yorker." He came along, asked his questions. Then BAM. Isaac's dead.
Lauren: Really?
C: Yeah. So forgive me if I don't take kindly to pushy questions.

Looks like we're reaching the end of this conversation, so Lauren asks one last question.

Lauren: Who was the reporter?
C: Oh, I dunno. Mitchell something. Slow talker. Drove me crazy.
Lauren: You think he killed Isaac?
C: I just play the piano. I don't THINK anything. Especially not the past. Whoever did Isaac, the son of a bitch had it coming. So, please. Just get outta here.

Mitchell, huh? We'll have to check him out. If he was a reporter and was asking about Isaac, presumably he has some information.

Okay, so we finally have the name of the ghost. Lauren and Joey have a quick chat about it before going to see him.

Lauren: Does that name mean anything to you?
Joey: 'Fraid not, sweetheart. Still, a name is something to go on. Our friend Isaac has certainly given us a run for our money.
Lauren: I dunno, Joey. I think we've nearly cracked this one.
Joey: You think?
Lauren: I hope so.
Joey: Famous last words.

Let's go and find out if Lauren is on the money!

Ghost: What's it to you, man?
Joey: So you ARE Isaac Brown?
Ghost: How do you know me? Get away!

Excellent, it's confirmed. He still isn't talking though, and Joey wears another saxophone shot.

Unfortunately, just knowing his name doesn't seem to be enough, as Isaac just brushes Joey off whenever he tries to speak to him. Instead, Joey decides to follow the one other lead we have.

Joey: What do you know about a reporter named Mitchell?
Ghost: Mitchell? I'm not sure. He's a nice man. He asked me about my life. He bought me a drink. Gave me ten dollars. He... Hey! What're you doing on stage, man?
Joey: Oh here we go again...

I'll give you one guess what follows...

Joey: Ahh!!

You guessed it!

Alright, we need to find this Mitchell character. Unfortunately...

Lauren: "Mitchell" is too common a name.

Still, Cecil told us Mitchell was from the New Yorker, so perhaps we can just call their head office?

Lauren: Yep. There's a listing for "The New Yorker." Their main office is in midtown.

Bingo. Lauren picks up the phone and dials the number

Operator: Thank you for calling the New Yorker. How can I help you?
Lauren: Hello. Yes. I'm trying to reach a reporter named Mitchell.
Operator: Well let's see now. Mitchell... Mitchell...

Lauren: I guess it's worth a try. Is he in?
Operator: Yes he is. Hold please.

The operator patches Lauren through, but the phone rings out.

Lauren: No answer. Maybe we should go there in person.

All in all, a good day's detective work! We have the ghost's name, and also the name of a reporter, Joseph Mitchell. Tomorrow, we'll follow him up and see where this all leads!

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 27, 2014

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
I'm really enjoying the lp! Keep it up, I'm looking forward to more spooky stuff featuring Joey and the chain-smoking badass :3:

Maybe it's just me, but Patricia, Lauren, and Rosa each get a pretty raw deal with this medium thing - doesn't seem like Joey is particularly happy about it either. I hope we eventually get to the bottom of why it's like that and why the Blackwell women in particular get chosen for the job! There's got to be others out there...

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Yeah, it is pretty rough on all involved. Having their lives completely interrupted, eventual dementia and/or pain, and meanwhile Joey apparently never gets to rest, bouncing forever from one emotionally-stunted womanchild to another as he slowly become less and less culturally relevant.

Somebody Up There has a some 'splaining to do :argh:

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 17, 2013

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
This LP is great! Really having fun reading it, thank you so much cmndstab. Something neat I noticed is that Lauren's plant is dead, but Rosangela's is alive. Could be an intentional parallel? Same with the balcony vs closed window.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, Joey's really getting the spectral tar beaten out of him. Never get between a hobo and his musical instrument.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

WickedHate posted:

This LP is great! Really having fun reading it, thank you so much cmndstab. Something neat I noticed is that Lauren's plant is dead, but Rosangela's is alive. Could be an intentional parallel? Same with the balcony vs closed window.

Hey, appreciate it! :unsmith: I suspect the parallels are intentional, as Gilbert was very overt about his desire to point out the differences between Rosa and Lauren.

Glazius posted:

Man, Joey's really getting the spectral tar beaten out of him. Never get between a hobo and his musical instrument.

I'm surprised he hasn't once tried to hit the guy back. Obviously he was softer back in these days. Or perhaps he just left the musclework to Lauren?

Here comes the next update!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Update 5

Lauren and Joey decide to follow up with Joseph Mitchell. He was asking Cecil about Isaac, so with any luck he'll know something about what happened.

:siren: Mitchell's Theme :siren:

Lauren knocks on Mitchell's door, and is greeted by him.

Mitchell: Can I help you?
Lauren: Are you Mr. Mitchell?
Mitchell: I sure am.
Lauren: I'm Lauren Blackwell.
Mitchell: Well, do come in, Miss Blackwell.

You know, I can't help but notice there is no phone in here. I think I can see why Mitchell didn't answer.

Lauren: I was hoping that you could help me.
Mitchell: Well, I'll do what I can.
Lauren: Your name has come up in a case I'm working on.
Mitchell: A case? What is this regarding? Are you a reporter, or...?

Time for Lauren to spin the truth, or perhaps not. She can either pretend to be a reporter:

Lauren: Yes. Yes I am a reporter.
Mitchell: From which publication?
Lauren: Ah.
Joey: Say you freelance.
Lauren: I'm a freelancer.
Mitchell: I see.

She can say she is an investigator:

Lauren: No. An independent investigator.
Mitchell: I see. So you're not with the police?
Lauren: Would it matter if I was?
Mitchell: No. It wouldn't.

Or she can call herself a researcher:

Lauren: No. I'm just doing some research.
Mitchell: I see. You're a student?
Lauren: More a student of life.
Mitchell: Ah. Aren't we all?

Whichever option we choose, Mitchell is fine with it.

Mitchell: So what can I do for you, Miss Blackwell?

Now that we're in, Lauren decides to take it slow and ask about Mitchell first up.

Lauren: So how long have you been working here?
Mitchell: Do you always ask such personal questions?
Lauren: I'm just curious about the sort of work you do.
Mitchell: I write about people, Miss Blackwell.
Lauren: What sort of people?
Mitchell: Not the famous sort. Just... ordinary people. Like you or me.

Mitchell: You find that amusing?
Lauren: Oh, not at all.

Smooth, Lauren. Also, get out of my screenshots Hot Mustid :argh:

Lauren: So tell me about yourself, Mr. Mitchell.
Mitchell: I beg your pardon?
Lauren: Tell me about yourself.
Mitchell: Yes, I heard you. I hope you didn't come here simply to interview ME. I'm afraid I'd make a poor interview subject.

This isn't going anywhere. Let's talk about Isaac instead.

Mitchell: Ah... Isaac. You knew Isaac?
Lauren: Sort of, yes. I'm looking into his death.
Mitchell: Really? That was almost five years ago. Why the sudden interest?

Wow, five years? I guess he's just been tooting away that whole time.

Lauren: Let's just say that I have a personal interest in clearing it up. Anything you can tell me about Isaac? Why'd you want to write about him?
Mitchell: I... don't want to get too in depth. Out of respect, you understand.
Lauren: Sure.
Mitchell: I was drawn to him for the same reasons I'm drawn to anybody I write about. I felt he had a story that would reach people. Enrich them. Perhaps learn from.
Mitchell: Miss Blackwell, spend some time talking to the poor and downtrodden. Walk down the Bowery and speak to the half wits and have nots. In one hour, you'll learn more than from a lifetime of schooling.

That explains why Mitchell was asking about Isaac all that time ago, he was writing a story about him. Cecil is still pretty worked up over something that happened five years ago, though.

Lauren: So what WAS Isaac's story? I know he played in a band called "The C Sharps", and then something obviously went wrong. What was it?
Mitchell: Listen, you tried asking Mr. Sharpe?

Only five or so times already :argh:

Lauren: Yes. He's not talking.
Mitchell: I don't blame him. He's probably just feeling guilty.
Lauren: Guilty? Why?
Mitchell: He has his reasons.

"Guilty"? That sounds ominous.

Hahaha, Lauren is so beautifully blunt with this :3:

Mitchell: I can't do that.
Joey: Of course he can't.
Lauren: Mr. Mitchell. I need to know what happened.
Mitchell: ... Listen, I don't like this. I don't feel comfortable talking about people without their consent. I won't say any more about Isaac, or his sister.
Joey: Sister?

Now there's a loose thread. Lauren pulls at it.

Lauren: Sister?
Mitchell: Please. I'm not going to say anymore.
Lauren: Who was Isaac's sister?
Mitchell: I told you. Not another word.

I guess we can follow that up elsewhere.

Next up, Lauren asks to read the story Mitchell wrote about Isaac, which is a good idea, since it's bound to contain personal information.

Mitchell: Ah. Well, I'm afraid I can't help you there. I never published it.
Lauren: You didn't?
Mitchell: No. It seemed a bit... in bad taste.
Joey: Since when do reporters care about bad taste?

I love it when Joey starts to prompt his hosts :3:

Lauren: Since when do reporters care about bad taste?
Mitchell: Ahh. You don't have a high opinion of journalists, do you?
Lauren: Well, you hear things...
Mitchell: Oh, no. Don't worry about it. I'm well aware of the stereotype. I've written about deceased persons before, when I felt it was in the public's interest. But Isaac... well, I felt the dead should have some peace.

Why Isaac in particular?

Lauren: If you felt his story could reach people. Enrich them, as you say. Why didn't you publish the story?

Mitchell: He was murdered. Someone reached around his neck and strangled the life out of him. That puts a bit of a damper on the story I wanted to tell.

Oh. Oh, I see :stare: That's a fairly valid reason, I guess.

Lauren: So nobody will hear the story?
Mitchell: No. All my notes on him have been destroyed. Isaac's story might not have reached the people, but it reached me. Maybe that's enough.

All in all Mitchell comes across as a decent person in this scene, but is very clearly hiding something. We might have to come back and follow up with him later.

Lauren: Well, I think that's all for now.
Mitchell: Alright. You have a good night, now.

Joey: Looks like it. She could be the key to this whole thing. Or part of it, anyway.

Lauren and Joey reflect on one of the few useful bits of information they got out of Mitchell, though personally I would have thought his cold-blooded murder would have been more pertinent.

Nope, we're going with the sister thing. Alright, then. I guess we couldn't exactly just ask Isaac about his murder.

IsaaCecil: Huh? What you want with my sis?
Joey: Nothing. I just want-
IsaaCecil: You stay away from my sis, you hear?
Joey: All right, mac. Relax.

Does Joey get hit with the saxophone again? I'll let you guess. Yes.

This is probably as good a time as any to point out that the Johnny Ivory's theme is an arrangement on the main theme for Blackwell Unbound, which effectively becomes the main theme of the series. Regin obviously liked the melody.

Continuing the talkathon, Lauren comes back and confronts Cecil once again, who is NOT happy to hear from her. This question startles him to the point that he hits a clashing chord on the piano, and then stops playing altogether.

Cecil: You... That's IT! You've crossed the line, sister. It was fun for a while, but now it's time for you to leave.
Joey: Oh, now you've done it.

Cecil is pissed, now. Time for Lauren to show us what she's made of!

Lauren: What are you gonna do, throw me out?
Cecil: Oh, is that a challenge? Don't tempt me, lady. Leave.
Lauren: Okay! This is me. Leaving you alone.

Oh. That was a touch weak.

Joey: Eh, don't sweat it. His bark is worse than his bite.

Lauren backs down easier than I would have thought, but on the plus side, she doesn't really leave. Instead, she turns right back around and gets in Cecil's face again.

Lauren: That's me. I'm like a bad penny. Look buster, I've had it up to HERE with this. I need information. It's stuck in your head and I plan on getting it out.
Cecil: Less talking. More get-the-hell-out.

Of course, Lauren immediately backs down again, but can try several more times.

Lauren: Look, I'm sorry.
Cecil: Oh, you're SORRY. Sorry isn't enough, sister. Leave.

Lauren: I really need to know about Isaac's sister. It's very important.
Cecil: Yeah, well. We all have problems. And my problem is YOU. So leave.

Lauren: You're upset. I didn't want to upset you.
Cecil: I'm upset. Yeah, great observation. If you're so concerned, why don't you just leave? That would make me feel MUCH better.

Lauren: Look, obviously something's wrong. Why don't you try talking about it?
Cecil: What is this, some kind of psychotherapy? You here to get me to open up about my feeling?
Lauren: I'm here for Isaac.
Cecil: He's not worth it. And neither are you. Just get outta here.

This isn't going well, though I have to admire how stubborn Lauren is. After a while Joey starts hinting that we need to try something else, so Lauren tries reasoning with Cecil instead.

Lauren: You want to forget the past, you say?
Cecil: Yeah.
Lauren: Then what's with the picture behind you? If you wanted to forget the past, why'd you keep that picture?
Cecil: I have my reasons. Leave it alone. Just leave ME alone!
Lauren: I just-
Cecil: Shut it. Just leave, why don't you?

"Reasons"? It's probably a fair bet that those reasons are the girl, Isaac's sister. Joey agrees:

Joey: Only time a man gets a look like that, is when he's hung up over a woman. Go easy on him, huh? I think he cares more about that gal than he lets on.

Let's see if we can break down his defences with that then.

Cecil doesn't even hesitate this time.

Cecil: Course I loved her! She was our heart and soul! I would have-

But then he pauses as he composes himself.

Cecil: drat you, woman. drat you. I just want to play this piano and forget she ever existed. Why don't you just leave me alone?
Lauren: So what happened, C? It's very important that you tell me.
Cecil: All right! All right. I don't know who you are, or why you're so interested. But you're never going to leave me alone are you?
Lauren: No I won't. You were in a band together, right?

This scene works so well because Lauren's emotions are so level, while Cecil goes on an emotional rollercoaster all around her.

Cecil: Yeah, we had a band. Smart girl. Then... she died. Then he died. End of story.
Lauren: How did you meet Isaac's sister?
Cecil: First of all, her name was Sarah. I was looking to start a band, and I saw them perform together. She could sing like... It was magic. Such energy. Such... LIFE. Such a waste.

Looks like that girl in the photo was indeed Isaac's sister, the C Sharp's singer. Dwayne also said she had a voice like velvet, so presumably she was pretty drat special.

Cecil: She got sick. Pneumonia, or something. Started coughing one day and wouldn't stop. She got better after a while, but something happened to her voice. Doctor said she would never sing again. After that, the spark just went out. She hung on for a few months, but... she just lost the will to live.

That sucks :smith:

Lauren: Anything else you can tell me about Sarah?
Cecil: I loved that woman. Even when she lost her voice, I would have given up everything for her. Heck, I would even let her brother live with us. I... should have told her.

By this point, Cecil just sounds miserable. Still, Lauren needs to know more about Isaac.

Lauren: What was Isaac really like?
Cecil: That fat bastard? He was good on the sax, but that was the end of his good points. He drank... He was violent. He was useless in every other way. But Sarah could calm him down. She was the only one. If it wasn't for Sarah, I never would have kept him around.

Violent sounds about right, given the number of times he's whacked Joey in the face with his saxophone so far.

Lauren: What happened to Isaac after Sarah died?
Cecil: He went to pieces, what do you think? He couldn't cope. Drank way too much. Started fights during gigs. I tried to stick with him, out of respect for Sarah, but... Let's face it. He was a big, dumb embarrassment.
Lauren: So you cut ties with Isaac?
Cecil: Completely. Told him he was a drunk and a lowlife and wasn't worth the peanuts I paid him. Which was, let's face it, totally true.

Oh, I bet that went down well.....

Lauren: What happened?
Cecil: He beat me senseless, is what happened. Knocked me out with the sax I bought for him. Then he became a bum. Spent the rest of his life living on the streets of Roosevelt Island. Till he got killed by some drifter.
Lauren: You don't know who killed Isaac?

Um. Okay? Lauren is naturally skeptical about this.

Lauren: Oh, come on.
Cecil: No. I did. I'm not the one who put my hands around his neck, or choked him to death. But I killed him just the same.

Oh. This must be the guilt that Mitchell was talking about.

Lauren: You shouldn't be so hard on yourself.
Cecil: I know that. My brain knows that. But my heart... won't listen.

I think we've done all we're going to do here.

Lauren: See you later.
Cecil: Yeah. You know, all this talk reminds me of something. Sarah and Isaac would always play this song.

Hmm... perhaps there is something more we can get out of Cecil before we leave?

Cecil: Yeah. A duet. At the end of every show.
Lauren: She'd sing and he'd play the saxophone?
Cecil: No. She'd actually play the piano, if you can believe it. She wasn't great, but she loved playing with Isaac. And Isaac loved that silly song. They'd never let me join them, but that was OK. It was kind of sweet. In a way. Ah, well.

That could actually be useful. If Isaac had an emotional connection with the tune, we might be able to use it to reach him.

Cecil: Oh that? It was just a short little thing. Isaac would just improv the whole thing, but Sarah's was always the same. Went something like...

:siren: Cecil's Solo :siren:

Cecil plays a short little piano piece for us. In the game only the first few seconds are heard, but the actual thing is almost a minute long.

Cecil: After Sarah died, Isaac would play gigs but refuse to leave the stage. He'd blow on his sax, playing anything that came to mind. Feet planted like a statue.
Lauren: He'd just keep playing?
Cecil: He'd play forever, if I didn't get four guys to drag him off. I think... I think he was waiting for Sarah to play with him. He was supposed to finish each show with her, and... well. In his heart he refused to believe she was dead.

Hmm, playing his sax forever and refusing to leave until Sarah plays for him? This is all sounding very familiar. We need to get a copy of this music.

Let's get this down...

Lauren pulls out the dictophone and records Cecil's solo. Time to go and deal with this ghost.

:siren: The Brown's Duet :siren:

Lauren turns on the canned piano solo...

...and Isaac instictively starts playing a beautiful duet with it. This piece is really quite lovely, you should listen to it in full. Lauren and Joey stand in silence listening as Isaac plays along.

As the duet comes to a close, Isaac starts to fade in and out, signifying that he has started to recognise and accept his death. Looks like we're just about done here.

Tomorrow it's time to whip out Joey's tie and send Isaac to the great beyond! Then we'll need to start thinking about this other case.

:siren: The Brown's Duet (Alternative) :siren:

One last thing before we finish up today. The Brown's Duet was originally a different piece of music, which was really, really gorgeous. I absolutely adore this piece of music. Unfortunately, it lasts for two minutes, and Gilbert reluctantly decided that was too long for the player to sit there watching Isaac swaying back and forth to the music and asked Regin to produce a shorter duet.

Still, this piece of music is probably the most beautiful in the whole game, so I strongly recommend you give it a listen. See you all tomorrow!

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 27, 2014

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I wonder if we find out who killed Isaac five years ago. But then, I don't think it really matters. Laura's whole purpose isn't to solve the emotional problems of everyone she meets, just to lay spirits to rest. And in a city the size of New York, there's no way one woman and one ghost are going to be able to help everyone.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Geomancing posted:

I wonder if we find out who killed Isaac five years ago. But then, I don't think it really matters. Laura's whole purpose isn't to solve the emotional problems of everyone she meets, just to lay spirits to rest. And in a city the size of New York, there's no way one woman and one ghost are going to be able to help everyone.

Well, I dunno... It'll feel a bit hollow if we don't at least find out who did it, won't it? Lauren isn't the type to give up easily, and we know she hates mysteries (considering how pushy she is about getting info).

Still, the story so far is a pretty tragic one. Far more tragic than "Oh, hey, we used a Ouija Board and died because we couldn't cope with an alcoholic, slightly insane ghost". Which is still tragic, but this is moreso.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Haha, he beat everyone up with that sax. Beautiful. Keep up the great work, cmndstab. This is seriously my favorite LP(counting all the games as one) ever.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, it's kind of more hilarious to find out Isaac's been using that sax as a blunt object for a long while.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
That duet is just... When you listen to it and start thinking about the story of the brother and sister and...

Wow.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

JamieTheD posted:

Well, I dunno... It'll feel a bit hollow if we don't at least find out who did it, won't it? Lauren isn't the type to give up easily, and we know she hates mysteries (considering how pushy she is about getting info).

Still, the story so far is a pretty tragic one. Far more tragic than "Oh, hey, we used a Ouija Board and died because we couldn't cope with an alcoholic, slightly insane ghost". Which is still tragic, but this is moreso.

Joey's MO seems to be to find out whatever he can, just like when they tried to figure out who The Deacon was after it became clear he was responsible for Alli's death. I guess we'll see!

I'm not sure which is a worse death... being driven insane by a screaming, pleading spectre who won't shut up, or having your sister slowly die, becoming a bum and then getting choked to death. Both seem pretty tragic to me :smith:

I guess the calm, happy death ghosts just move on without needing any help?

WickedHate posted:

Haha, he beat everyone up with that sax. Beautiful. Keep up the great work, cmndstab. This is seriously my favorite LP(counting all the games as one) ever.

Glazius posted:

Yeah, it's kind of more hilarious to find out Isaac's been using that sax as a blunt object for a long while.

During gigs, no less! I love the image of someone heading for calm night of smooth jazz only to have Isaac belting people up with the saxophone between songs :3:

Valiantman posted:

That duet is just... When you listen to it and start thinking about the story of the brother and sister and...

Wow.

Yeah, the duet (both versions) is a pretty powerful scene, especially after having dealt with the angry/miserable Cecil to get there. It also highlights just how emotive good music can be when used in the right context.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Well I think the implication of ghosts in general is that the people with calm happy deaths just plain and simply don't become ghosts in the first place.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Keldulas posted:

Well I think the implication of ghosts in general is that the people with calm happy deaths just plain and simply don't become ghosts in the first place.
I wonder what that implies about Joey.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If there's one thing we can probably tell about Joey at this point, it's that he's not a happy person. Ghost. Whatever. His death probably wasn't either, going by his reaction when you ask him about it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Poor Joey. :( I'd say "at least he gets to be with friends, but there's the whole "had to watch my love interest go insane and stand by her continuously for 25 years while she was in a medically induced coma" thing.

Which reminds me of my theory, that Patricia and Lauren went insane because they weren't solving cases. I don't think Lauren should have stopped. If she thought she couldn't divide her time between that and raising Rosa, she shouldn't have taken her in. With great power comes great responsibility and all.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

WickedHate posted:

Poor Joey. :( I'd say "at least he gets to be with friends, but there's the whole "had to watch my love interest go insane and stand by her continuously for 25 years while she was in a medically induced coma" thing.

Which reminds me of my theory, that Patricia and Lauren went insane because they weren't solving cases. I don't think Lauren should have stopped. If she thought she couldn't divide her time between that and raising Rosa, she shouldn't have taken her in. With great power comes great responsibility and all.

Judging by Joey's responses to Rosa, he agrees with you. I guess she felt a familial responsibility to Rosa after she became the sole living relative.

Just getting the next update set up now, should be up soon!

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
On a related note, what's going to happen to Joey if Rosa dies? She doesn't appear to have any close family members left.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
That's actually a really good question..... it's certainly not obvious what will happen! Perhaps a more distant relative?

Update 6

:siren: The Brown's Duet (Alternative) :siren:

Last time, Lauren and Joey brought a recording of the song Isaac's sister, Sarah, would play to end a gig. After playing his part of the duet, Isaac starts to fade in and out. His time haunting the promenade is coming to an end.

Isaac: I... Sis? Is that you, Sis? I've been waiting for so long...

Oh geez. Lauren can either say yes, no, or kind of be ambiguous. If she says yes:

Lauren: Yes, Isaac. It's me, your sister.
Isaac: Sarah? Sarah, what happened?

Hahahahahahaha.

Lauren: Um...
Isaac: You're not my sis!
Lauren: No. I'm not.
Isaac: No, you couldn't, could you?

If she says no:

Lauren: No, Isaac. I'm not your sister. She couldn't come.
Isaac: No, no she couldn't, could she?

If she is ambiguous:

Lauren: I am if you want me to be.
Isaac: Oh, I want you to be. I need my sis. But you're not her.

With his senses starting to return to him, Isaac realises the truth.

Isaac: My sis is dead, isn't she?
Lauren: Yeah.

There it is.

Lauren: Yeah.
Isaac: I knew that. Deep down, I knew that. I just... couldn't let go.
Lauren: I'm sorry.

Between Alli being fairly happy, the Deacon being manic and terrified, and now Isaac just being depressed, we've seen a pretty wide range of emotions from ghosts once they have become aware.

Isaac: Is that why you two are here? To help me let go?
Joey: That's what we do best.
Isaac: I'm... not sure what I'm supposed to do.
Joey: Don't worry. Just leave everything to us.

:siren: Isaac Faces Eternity :siren:

Following the same method as Rosa would use later, Lauren grabs hold of the tie while Joey hands the other end to Isaac, and they travel into Lauren's Nodespace. I like the little pose Lauren cuts before she pulls the tie :3: I also can't help but notice that Lauren had just as much trouble with falling through the portal as Rosa does.

Isaac: Hey. This is it, huh?
Lauren: Yep. Eternity. The white light. The passage into the next world.
Isaac: It is something, all right. I still can't believe I'm dead.

A crazy old lady? We knew Isaac was killed by a drifter, so I guess this crazy old lady was the drifter.

Lauren: Old lady?
Isaac: Yeah. Said she wanted to help me, then goes and chokes me. Why'd she wanna go and do a thing like that?
Lauren: I'm sorry... I wish I knew.

That's a bit foreboding...

Isaac: I don't think it matters, anyway. It's time I join my sis.
Lauren: Just head into the light.
Isaac: Thanks lady, you've been real kind. And, uh...

Lauren: Heh. Right.

Lauren seems more melancholy than normal during this scene. Given the intro scene where she gets all :emo: on us, I'm guessing Nodespace depresses her a bit.

Grasping his saxophone, Isaac journeys off to the next world. Lauren pauses briefly to reflect.

Lauren: Another day, another spirit gone to their rest. Hm. Rest. Now THAT'S a nice word.

:siren: The Countess Approaches :siren:

Lauren returns back to the land of the living, only to find Joey face to face with the crazy lady from earlier.

Joey: Yeah. Hi. Glad you're up.
Crazy lady: You... Did you... Did you save him?
Joey: Yeah. Yeah, sure. We saved him.

Joey sounds concerned here, and with good reason. The crazy lady is actually addressing Joey, a fact not lost on Lauren.

Lauren: Joey, is she talking to YOU?
Joey: Yeah. Go figure.
Crazy lady: Thank you. Both of you. I only wanted to save them...

I think I see where this is going, and so does Lauren.

Lauren: Isaac told me he was killed by an old woman. Was that you?

Crazy lady: Just like you!

The crazy lady approaches Lauren and exclaims that she saves. Her voice is all over the place, she is clearly not all there upstairs.

Lauren: Who ARE you?
Crazy lady: I am the Countess.
Joey: Countess? Countess of WHAT?
Countess: It's the only name I know. I SAVED them. I HELPED them. I... I'm SORRY.

Without warning, the "Countess" suddenly turns around and runs away.

Joey: Don't just stand there. Let's get after her!

A quick fade to black, and we see Lauren and Joey return to the apartment.

Joey: Spry my foot. You couldn't outrun a one-legged turtle, with those lungs.
Lauren: Don't start with me, okay?

I guess we didn't catch her.

As usual after a stressful situation, Lauren heads straight back out to the balcony to light up another cigarette, and refuses to move from the spot.

Once again, it's up to Joey to sort her out.

Joey: Hey there.
Lauren: Nobody that old should move that fast.
Joey: Just keep telling yourself that.
Lauren: Hrm.

Lauren takes a puff before asking the key question.

Lauren: Joey, she could SEE you. How could she do that?
Joey: I don't know. But I think this case just got a hell of a lot more complicated.
Lauren: Fantastic.

Joey: There's something about her.
Lauren: Well she HAS killed someone.
Joey: Yeah, but it's more than that. If she was just an ordinary murderer, I wouldn't care. We just handle the victims of murder, not the murder itself.
Lauren: Got any ideas?
Joey: Not yet. But she's definitely more than what she seems.
Lauren: Lucky us.

Lauren is still not finished trying to figure out how the Countess could see Joey.

Lauren: That old woman. How could she see you?
Joey: I don't know. Only folks that can see me are animals and other ghosts. And I don't think she's either.
Lauren: I don't know, Joey. She reminds me of... something.
Joey: Pardon?
Lauren: I can't explain it.
Joey: Well, if you see her again, you can ask her.

Joey, on the other hand, is harbouring suspicions of his own about Joseph Mitchell.

Lauren: You think that about everybody, Joey.
Joey: Have I ever been wrong?
Lauren: ... No, you haven't.
Joey: There you go.

I like the way that Lauren gives Joey crap, but she clearly does trust him. I guess they've been a successful team for a few years now.

:siren: Mitchell's Theme (Alternative) :siren:

Mitchell: Come on in. Sit down.

Joseph Mitchell also has an alternative theme, though in this case the alternative theme was finished. Gilbert felt it was a bit too "African tribe"-esque and asked for a more neutral version of it which ended up being Mitchell's eventual theme.

Lauren gets straight to the point.

Lauren: Do you know anything about a strange old woman, wandering the streets?
Mitchell: I've met plenty of strange old women, Miss Blackwell. Some stranger than others. Can you give me more details?
Lauren: She calls herself The Countess.
Mitchell: ...
Lauren: Mr. Mitchell?
Mitchell: I'm thinking.

That's pretty suspicious...

Mitchell: I can safely say I've never laid eyes on this woman. I'm sorry.

After another pregnant pause, Mitchell finally settles on a very deliberate answer.

Lauren: Are you sure you've never met a woman like that?
Mitchell: No. I've never met a woman like that.

Hmm. If he does know anything, he's keeping mum. We won't get anything else out of him for now.

Lauren and Joey figure that they'll just have to wait and see if anything eventuates from all of that. In the mean time, they have one last case left to investigate. Apparently a construction site on 53rd and Lex suffered a series of bizarre accidents and was closed down. Let's see if we can find anything there?

:siren: 53rd and Lex :siren:

Joey: Yep. All's quiet so far.

Nothing immediately obvious. There's the construction site, which is bolted closed. Joey and Lauren survey the situation.

Joey: It's pretty quiet here.
Lauren: Yeah. I don't like it. I feel so exposed, with all those windows staring at me. Anyone could look down and see me talking to you.
Joey: So what? Worst that could happen is they think you're crazy.
Lauren: Great.

You'd think Lauren would be used to that by now.

What do you think they're building here, Joey?
Joey: Dunno. Another condo, probably. Seems like more and more of those are going up every day.

Changing the topic, Lauren and Joey discuss Mitchell briefly.

Lauren: Joseph Mitchell certainly is... interesting.
Joey: Yeah... interesting. Did you notice his typewriter?
Lauren: No, what about it?
Joey: There was dust on it. And the paper was blank. That thing hasn't seen much use in a long time.
Lauren: Maybe he uses a pen and paper?
Joey: Hm. Maybe.

That does seem odd. So Mitchell sits in his office without a phone and without actually typing anything as part of his journalism job. Very suspicious.

Anyway, back to the issue at hand. Lauren can't get in the door, because it's locked.

Lauren: I don't think I can get through that door.
Joey: No, you're too solid. Just leave it to me, dear. Smoke a cigarette or something.
Lauren: Don't mind if I do.

Sure enough, Lauren whips out a cigarette and enters flavour country. Joey will take over for this next section.

Joey: Stay close to the wall.
Lauren: Yeah, sure. Let me know what you find.

:siren: Inside The Gate :siren:

This scene acts as our first proper "Joey only" section. You could conceivably see this quite early, if you chose to tackle this case first.

Joey: Hello? Anyone here?

Yep, that's a hit. Two ghosts in one night. Lauren hears Joey and calls out to him.

Lauren: Well? What do you see? Is it clean?
Joey: I'm afraid not.
Lauren: Well, hurry up then. I feel stupid pressed up against this wall.

The lady ghost floats back and forth muttering to herself.

Joey: She looks middle-aged, but it's hard to tell in her current state. Like most ghosts, she doesn't seem to be aware of her surroundings.

No time like the present. Joey strikes up a conversation with the lady.

Joey: Hey there.
Lady: Hm? Could someone be there?

Which goes about as well as usual for Joey.

Lady: No one would be so rude as to enter without knocking.

Joey isn't about to accept being brushed off so easily!

Joey: I said: HEY THERE.
Lady: No. No. Nobody there. Door is locked and barred.
Joey: Hey, lady! I'm talkin to ya.
Lady: No. The door is closed. Nobody is there. Only way in is if I open the door. And to do that, he'd have to knock.
Joey: Just LOOK at me, why don't you? I know you can see me.
Lady: No. Visitors MUST knock. Or ring the bell. That's the way it's done.

Jesus Christ. As far as I can tell, this ghost thinks she's inside, and is not willing to break that illusion by speaking to someone without opening the "door" to them first.

Hahahaha.

Lady: What? Phew. Nobody is there. The door is still closed and bolted.
Joey: *sigh* I'll be back. Friggin spooks.

I always get a kick out of Joey losing his temper at other ghosts :3: Joey decides to ask Lauren for help.

Lauren: Joey? What are you doing in there?
Joey: How's it going on the outside?
Lauren: Oh, it's a thrill a minute out here. Like a day at the circus.
Joey: Miss me?
Lauren: Yeah. Sure. Like I miss toe fungus.

These two say the sweetest things to each other.

Joey: I need you to do something.
Lauren: What?

The obvious choice here is to ask Lauren to knock on the gate door, so the ghost lady will hear it and "answer" her door. But let's have some fun, instead!

Joey: Hop on one leg.
Lauren: What? Why?
Joey: I'll explain later. Just do it.
Lauren: Okaaay.

Joey: Heh. I can't believe you just did that.
Lauren: I hate you do much.

Hahahahaha, this is beautiful :3:

Okay, let's do this properly.

Lauren: Knock on the door? Why?

Sure enough, Lauren knocks on the gate, and the lady ghost immediately jumps to attention.

Lady: A knock? Oh my! A visitor! Ah... just a minute! Is my hair okay? Oh, it'll have to do.

Excellent. Dialogue mode engaged!

Tomorrow we'll chat with the ghost lady and see if we can figure out what's going on there. Join me then!

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 27, 2014

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

Ooh, so the two cases are NOT completely unrelated. This could be quite interesting.

Going to guess this ghost used to live in whatever building was here, before it was torn down for the new construction. Paranoid, panicky, but not afraid of visitors, just not expecting any. Hm.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
I guessing we'll meet Mr. Mitchell as a part of this case, too. That conversation Lauren and Joey just had seems a lot like it should take place at this part of the plot, regardless of which case you solve first.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

cmndstab posted:

Joey: Hop on one leg.
Lauren: What? Why?
Lauren: Okaaay.

Joey: Heh. I can't believe you just did that.
Lauren: I hate you do much.

I made her do a little dance instead, but this is probably my favourite bit of banter in the game.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
I have to say, my favorite thing so far is how the "villains", who really do terrifying things, are shown to be just tortured souls, hurting other people out of some selfishness or fear. If you're going to do a ghosts about tortured souls, I really think that's the way to do it, and it makes for really compelling villains.

Excepting of course THE LITERAL DEVIL, but, you know. And possibly crazy Mary there, who knows.

Also, I love the interplay between the two characters, but more than that, it's really good to see a game like this LP'd by somebody who really enjoys the game.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Awww, man... This lady pissed me off so much. Not because it's difficult, but... Hell, you'll see. And I've no doubt Joey'll get a little antsy too.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Bacter posted:

I have to say, my favorite thing so far is how the "villains", who really do terrifying things, are shown to be just tortured souls, hurting other people out of some selfishness or fear. If you're going to do a ghosts about tortured souls, I really think that's the way to do it, and it makes for really compelling villains.

Excepting of course THE LITERAL DEVIL, but, you know. And possibly crazy Mary there, who knows.

Also, I love the interplay between the two characters, but more than that, it's really good to see a game like this LP'd by somebody who really enjoys the game.

Yeah, I think that's why the whole devil thing seemed like such a non-sequitur. It's like the game told us "okay, accept that there are ghosts that struggle to move on, but other than that everything is the same as normal" and then out of nowhere, HI GUYS IT'S ME, THE DEVIL! SO HOW'S 'BOUT THAT SOUL, THEN?

Though my personal preference is to interpret that scene as the Deacon's own fears playing on him, rather that literally being the devil. He took to the bottle after his wife died, developed an anxiety issue and convinced himself he was damned. This psychopathy prevented him from moving on, and even when faced with the next world he needed to experience an analogy of redemption before he could convince himself he wouldn't burn for eternity.

At least, I like that explanation more than "the devil literally appears inside Rosa's head".

Glad you're enjoying the LP :unsmith:

JamieTheD posted:

Awww, man... This lady pissed me off so much. Not because it's difficult, but... Hell, you'll see. And I've no doubt Joey'll get a little antsy too.

Joey gets antsy at every ghost :3:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Bacter posted:

Excepting of course THE LITERAL DEVIL, but, you know.

I really have to stress that I'm sure it's 'a' devil rather than THE biblical Devil. I think it makes it better in my mind. The generic devil-ito wasn't really :moreevil: so much doing a job, so Rosa and Joey were still in that good sort of gray zone in atmosphere for me. Their conflict isn't a clear cut good vs evil story. Their story is about souls moving on to eternity, and sort of dealing with something utterly beyond them.

I never really had an issue with the way that the first game ended, until just right now as I began writing this post. I guess the appearance of a devil kinda takes away some of the mystique about the other side by saying that there is definitely a spiritual bureaucracy out there to make sure that bad souls suffer. It probably would have been better to leave things vague on the subject of how the deacon's hell time would have been instead of throwing something that solid out there. But oh well, I understand wanting to cut out ambiguity whenever it wasn't certain if that game would get a sequel. :shrug:

But yeah, it really is great to have someone who really enjoys the game to do an lp of this game. It shows. :)

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 19, 2013

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I also like the fact that the Blackwell games aren't a generic "good vs evil" story. There are bad people in the series, but generally it's more about struggling against forces they don't fully understand.

And yes, I do love the games - I'm glad it's shining through in my commentary :unsmith:

Let's make this update happen!

Update 7

Time to see if Joey can get some sense out of this lady ghost.

:siren: Inside The Gate :siren:

Joey: Hello, miss.
Lady: Hello. Can I help you?
Joey: I'm Joey Mallone, miss.
Lady: Well, Mister Mallone. To what do I owe the pleasure?

Good, good. A decent start. Let's try to figure out who she is.

Joey: What's your name?
Lady: Excuse me?
Joey: Your name.
Lady: My name is on the DOOR. If you don't know who I am, then why are you here?

Didn't take long to hit a snag.

Let's try a different approach.

Lady: Sorry. I'm not sure what you mean. Are you looking for a specific apartment, or...?
Joey: Apartment? You mean we're inside a building?
Lady: Yes. Are you feeling all right, mister?

She sounds very confused as she says "yes". At least this confirms what we already suspected; the lady thinks she's inside a building, even though it's very clear she's not. Joey presses the point.

Joey: You're not in a building, lady. Take a look around.
Lady: I don't know WHAT you're talking about. We're on the third floor! Look, there's the elevator down the hall.
Joey: Ahh. Right. Yeah. I see it. Are you sure you're feeling alright?

Not just inside a building, but three floors up as well. This ghost is clearly delusional, so Joey decides the subtle approach isn't going to work.

Lady: Oh?
Joey: There's no delicate way to put this. You're dead.
Lady: Pardon me?
Joey: Dead and buried. You're a ghost haunting a wasteland.

Hahaha, smooth. The lady is lost for words for a couple of seconds, before responding angrily.

Lady: You're unbalanced. Tell me what you want, before I call the police.

Unsurprisingly, Joey doesn't take that threat seriously, and just keeps pressing the point instead.

Joey: You're not in a building, lady.
Lady: What are you talking about?
Joey: We're on the ground. We're OUTSIDE.
Lady: YOU, sir, need glasses. Look at the door. It says "D". Clear as day.

Third floor, room D. That might be useful for tracking down information about this ghost lady, though obviously Lauren can't just hop onto the Internet like Rosa would.

Joey looks to probe further, but the ghost lady is not interested.

Lady: Look, I've had enough. I'm not going to stand here and indulge in idle chit-chat. Who are you?

Joey has a few bluff options, but none really work out that well.

Joey: I was sent by your landlord.
Lady: Oh, you were?
Joey: Yep. He wanted me to ask you a few questions.
Lady: Well, for your information I don't HAVE a landlord. I OWN this apartment.

Whoops!

Joey: I'm with the gas company. I was sent to check your apartment for leaks.
Lady: Didn't you come this morning?
Joey: Ah...
Lady: Yes you did. You found nothing AND you charged me a fortune!
Joey: That must have been someone else...

Aww, you were almost in, Joey!

Joey: I live next door.
Lauren: You do? Which room?
Joey: Ah... 4E?
Lauren: No you don't.

Joey obviously wasn't paying attention before.

Joey: I'm with the census bureau. And I have to ask you a couple of questions.
Lady: Where's your clipboard?
Joey: Excuse me?
Lady: I thought all census takers needed a clipboard.
Joey: Ah, no. Not any more. Cutbacks.

Hahahaha, "cutbacks", that's brilliant :3:

Lady: You're not fooling me. You're one of THEM, aren't you?
Joey: One of... them? Who is "them"?

Lady: The only way you can drag me out of here is as a corpse! Goodbye!

With that, the lady turns her back and... kind of floats a short distance away. I guess in her mind she has gone back inside and slammed the door shut. We won't get any more use out of her for a while.

There is a temporary office set up in the background there which might have some information. Joey heads inside...

There should hopefully be something useful in here. That "Seagram Realty" sign in the background presumably refers to the construction company that was working on this site.

Joey: - Which I don't - It would be too dark to see anything.

There are some drawers, which Joey can't do much with. It's interesting - Joey can't open things, but he can put his head inside. The games do a pretty good job of figuring out whether any light would be able to penetrate in those circumstances.

Joey: Cheap material. I want nothing to do with it.

You're such an adorably classist ghost, Joey :3:

On the table there is a note.

Joey: This letter was written only a few weeks ago. This lady is upset because she's been stiffed 5 bucks a month. My guess is she's not too happy with the foreman.

The letter is signed, which helps matters.

Joey: Harriet Sherman. I have no idea who she is, but any lead is a good lead.

At least we've got a name to go on with!

In the background is a sexy calendar with Farrah Fawcett on it. Not sure whether the typo was intentional to avoid copyright issues, or just a mistake. Interestingly, the famous photo depicted on this calendar was actually taken in 1976, three years later than Unbound is set. Gilbert realised this eventually, but decided to leave it in anyway. It must be difficult to design a contextually relevant game from a time before you were born.

Joey: I wonder if she likes dead guys?

Time-travelling dead guys from three years in the past at that!

With a couple of leads but not much else to show for his time, Joey heads back out to Lauren.

:siren: 53rd and Lex :siren:

Joey: Not yet, dear.
Lauren: Slacker.

Joey fills Lauren in with what he saw.

Joey: I can't get a read on that lady ghost. She either wants to slap me or bake me cookies.
Lauren: You could use a good slap.
Joey: I'd rather have cookies.

Hahahaha. I know I say it a lot, but I love the banter between these two :3:

Lauren: So any thoughts on our lady ghost?

Lauren: Any thoughts on how to SAVE her?
Joey: Nothing springs to mind.

And again... :3:

Alright, let's take stock here. Presumably the ghost lady lived around this site, or visited here a lot. She still believes she's in a building, even though the construction site has been left unfinished, so presumably she died while a previous building was still here. Meanwhile, a Mrs. Harriet Sherman was receiving some money from the same construction company. Perhaps she can give us some info as to what happened?

Lauren: Got her. There's a phone number, but no address.

We'll have to ring her.

Lauren: Is this Harriet Sherman?
Harriet: Who is this?
Lauren: My name is Lauren Blackwell.
Harriet: What do you want?

Harriet is very obviously voiced by a young woman putting on a screechy old lady voice. It's a bit out of place in what is otherwise a very professionally acted game, but Gilbert apparently loved the voice. Perhaps it reminded him of someone he knew.

Lauren: I could really use your help.
Harriet: Help? Why should I help YOU? Why should I help anybody? Nobody's ever done ME any favors. Goodbye. Don't call back.

Harriet is a real bundle of joy.

Of course, Lauren is stubborn and so she complete ignores Harriet's request for privacy.

Harriet: Hello?
Lauren: It's me again.
Harriet: You? I thought I told you not to call!
Lauren: Yeah. I know. Please just listen. Could I ask you a couple of questions?

Harriet doesn't immediately hang up, but she's not happy either.

Harriet: What is this? A survey?
Lauren: No-
Harriet: Well NO. You can't ask me a couple of questions. I'm busy.
Lauren: Listen-
Harriet: Goodbye. Don't call back.

Let's try a different approach.

Lauren calls back, but immediately offers to help Harriet.

Harriet: What? You selling something?
Lauren: No, I'm-
Harriet: I've told you a million times - NO! I don't need any insurance.
Lauren: I'm not-
Harriet: Gotta go. My stories are on. Don't call back.
Lauren: No, wait-

Gah, this just isn't working.

Lauren: Yeah yeah, I'll wait here.

What's gone wrong? Did I miss something?

Ah. I forget to have Joey actually look at the Seagram Realty poster, so therefore he never saw it to report back to Lauren. This is similar to the issues with characters not recognising obvious connections before you make them in the notebook.

Joey: I guess they're the guys who own this construction outfit.

Lauren: Hm. There's no listing. They must be based out of town.

We can't just look them up either. Let's try Harriet again.

Harriet: Ohhh. Why didn't you say? You've got my sixty dollars?
Lauren: Um, yes. Yes I do. But before I give it to you, I have to ask you a couple of questions.
Harriet: Fine fine fine. Come on by and I'll answer whatever you want. 24 Rector. Down in Battery Park City. Just buzz up.

Bingo. Of course, Lauren will actually have to spring for the $60, making this an expensive exercise.

Lauren: So Joey.
Joey: Yeah?
Lauren: Got any spare cash on you?
Joey: Sorry. Left my wallet in my other pants. Probably the pair I was buried in.

Sigh. There goes the rainy day jar.

:siren: Harriet's Theme :siren:

Lauren knocks on the door after being buzzed up, and meets with Harriet.

Harriet: I'm back here in the kitchen!
Lauren: Harriet?
Harriet: Mrs. Sherman, if you don't mind. You from Seagram Realty?
Lauren: Yes.

Still sticking with that story, I see!

Harriet: You have my money?
Lauren: I wanted to ask you a few questions first.
Harriet: You're welcome to ask me anything you'd like. AFTER you give me the money. You got it?
Lauren: I sure do.
Harriet: It's about TIME. Give it here.

Lauren parts with her hard-earned. Actually, come to think of it, does Lauren even have a job? Where does she get her money from?

Harriet: Hm. It's all here, sure enough. I'd say thanks, if I hadn't had to fight tooth and nail to get it.
Joey: What teeth, you old bat?
Lauren: Don't worry about it.
Harriet: Oh, I WON'T. Now, you wanted to ask me something?

Here's our opening. Hope it ends up being worth the price of admission!

Lauren: So tell me about yourself.
Harriet: Me? Why do you want to know?
Lauren: Your name came up during an investigation I'm working on.

Hahaha, sharp lady. Of course, Lauren just shamelessly admits to the lie.

Lauren: Not exactly.
Harriet: Ahh. You just used them as a way to get to me, huh?
Lauren: Yes.

I like the way Lauren will always throw these things back at the other person.

Harriet: Oh not at all. Just don't expect your money back.
Joey: She's all heart.

Lauren can now ask questions from her notebook. Before tackling the issue at hand, Lauren decide to ask about the Countess, on a whim.

Lauren: Do you know anything about a strange old woman, wandering the streets?
Harriet: Hm. Funny you mention that.
Harriet: I once saw a strange old woman wandering the hallway, back in the old building. I yelled at her to leave, and she did. I doubt that she was the one you're looking for, though. World is full of strange old ladies. Not unlike myself.

I wonder.....

Okay, now for the reason we're here.

Harriet: You've been there? How's the old place looking?
Lauren: It's a big hole in the ground.
Harriet: Hah! Can only be an improvement. I used to live there. Then Seagram Realty bought it and tore it down. Going to build something new and fancy, no doubt.
Lauren: They kicked you out of your own home?
Harriet: No big loss. The place was a dump. Plus they wanted it so badly that they paid most of us a monthly stipend just to leave. Pretty generous, actually. I can almost forgive them for nearly robbing me.

I guess that's what the $230/month was for.

Lauren: Can you tell me anything else about your old building?
Harriet: Good riddance, is what I say. I lived on the third floor. Everyone on the street could see me. I like my new place much better.
Lauren: So they paid you money to leave?
Harriet: Yep. Like I said, it was a pretty generous deal. Building was about to be condemned anyway, so everyone was grateful for the offer. Well, everyone except for Mavis Wilcox.

Finally, we get a possible name.

Harriet: A lunatic, is what she was. She lived down the hall from me, so I know how crazy she was.
Lauren: Why was she crazy?
Harriet: She refused to leave, is why. Seagram was offering her a fortune, but she still refused.

This matches up pretty well with the ghost lady's comments before about "THEM" having to drag her out of her house as a corpse if they want her gone. Lauren continues asking.

Lauren: Why did Mavis refuse to leave?
Harriet: She was a lunatic. I believe I already established this. A total shut-in. The prospect of leaving her little apartment terrified her. I'm old and feeble. If I could manage the move, she could have. Course it doesn't matter now.
Lauren: Did they ever get Mavis to leave?

That's... kind of ominous sounding. Harriet comes across as a creepy old bat throughout this whole scene.

Harriet: She left all right. Left the entire world, in fact.
Lauren: You mean, she died?
Harriet: Yes. Someone broke in and choked her to death, right in the apartment she loved so much. I'd call it ironic, if it weren't so tragic.

So, wait, another murder by choking? Two in one night? That seems a very strong coincidence, and as Joey says, coincidences don't happen in their line of work.

Lauren: Did they ever find out who killed Mavis?
Harriet: No. Some street kid, most likely. Thought the building was empty and went in to steal whatever was left over. Didn't count on anyone being there, bumped into Mavis, then had to kill her. Happens all the time.

As I said, Harriet's voice is distractingly "put-on", but I should also say that her writing is very good. These all sound like the kind of things a crotchety old grandmother would say.

Lauren: How well did you know Mavis?
Harriet: Like I said, I lived just down the hall from her. On the third floor. I didn't know her well, but she did get some mail just before they smashed the place up. I took it, just in case a relative or something came looking. It's been six months, and nothing.
Lauren: Do you still have Mavis' things?
Harriet: Yes I do. Such as they are. There wasn't much. Just that envelope on the counter.

That sounds important. I wonder what Adventure Game Puzzle hoops we'll have to jump through in order to get that?

Lauren: Could I look at it?
Harriet: You knew Mavis?
Lauren: Sort of, yes.
Harriet: Well, you might as well take a look at them. Nobody else has come looking.

Or I guess we could just ask for them! I love your forthright style, Lauren :unsmith:

Hopefully Mavis' things will come in handy.

Lauren: Thanks. Good bye, Mrs. Sherman.
Harriet: Don't mention it.

Though I doubt it'll be worth the $60 it cost us to come here :argh:

Tomorrow we'll see if we can figure out what happened with Mavis, and what to do about it.

:siren: Harriet's Theme (Alternative) :siren:

Another alternative theme before we finish up today. Harriet's original theme was very different to her eventual theme, and was apparently inspired by Yiddish folk music. I guess Harriet is supposed to be a stereotypical New York Jew, hence explaining why she's so interested in our money or something equally discriminatory. The alternative theme is quite catchy, but is kind of distracting and Gilbert felt it got in the way of the dialogue. I actually quite like the theme Harriet ended up with, so I'll say it was a good choice to change it. To be honest, having looked very closely at all four games, almost every replacement choice Gilbert made has indeed led to an improvement, either in overall quality, or in playability.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jun 27, 2014

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Is there any indication that the demon in Rosa's head is an actual, no-fooling demon rather than just a projection cooked up between her wacky inner mindscape and the Deacon's own, uh, inner demons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Not as such, no. We have no real reason to believe that ghosts are even able to project on that scale, though. There's Joey's tie and the occasional small personal item, like the flask or that guy's sax, but nothing else on the scale of a completely separate second entity. Plus the demon was able to haul the Deacon off to God knows where, which indicates that there has to be somewhere to go besides the light.

• Locked thread