Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cutscene Powers
Jun 7, 2010
OP can I guest commentate on your next update? It's always been my dream to talk over video games with an LP Superstar such as yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

Caterpie: Godzilla
Nidoran: Travis
Mankey: Humper

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cutscene Powers posted:

OP can I guest commentate on your next update? It's always been my dream to talk over video games with an LP Superstar such as yourself.
Sure. PM me.

Cutscene Powers
Jun 7, 2010
Cool. I don't actually have Skype so I've recorded 3 hours of soundbites and catchphrases and sent it to you, I'm sure you can stitch it together to produce the next viral sensation!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Update 5: Let’s Play Pokemon Red With Special Guest Stars Slowbeef And Diabetes

Now that we’re in Pewter City it’s time to take on the leader of Boulder Gym, B. Rock the Islamic Shock! First, however, I need to profile our three newest Pokemon.

Minkey is a Mankey, which is a monkey. Mankey evolves into Primape. It is a Fighting-type Pokemon, which is why it is the only Pokemon on our team that can or will fight other Pokemon. It learns Punch, Kick, Fight, and Fight Attack. Mankeys are proficient masturbators.

Rahonavis is a Caterpie, a famous self-insert Pokemon. It is useless. It evolves into Metapod, which is useless, and then Butterfree, which is beautiful, fragile, short-lived, and useless. It is a Bug-type Pokemon, which makes it useless. You could just step on it. You could swat it. There are Pokemon that are actual dragons and have psychic powers. You can use Caterpie as bait to catch Magikarp and Goldeen, two also useless Pokemon.

Horny Dad 420 is a Nidoran, a genderqueer Pokemon. Nidoran evolves into Nidorino/a and then Nidoking/queen, depending on a combination of biological, mental, and social pressures. It is a Poison-type Pokemon. Every rose has its thorn, and Nidoran uses the one on its head to kill enemies. Nidoran collects many interesting posts on its Tumblr, hornydad420.tumblr.com.

We also have two special guests who have agreed to add their commentary, since I am a Let’s Play Superstar. Let’s all have a big hand for Slowbeef and Diabetes. I expect you to be clapping at your screen now.
Prepare for trouble!
Make it double!

Thanks, guys. It’s good to have you on board.
This Let’s Play is bad.
Haha, wow. Yes. It’s not good.
Haha.

Here we are in beautiful Pewter City (pop. 480,000). Pewter City is known for its Pokemon Museum, the Boulder Gym, and the hundreds of tabletop gaming miniatures shops that give the city its name.
This is dumb.
Correct.

Our first step before we head to Boulder Gym is the Pokemon Museum. It contains a number of incredible Pokemon fossils and artifacts.
Wow. Really? Wow. Just really? Wow.
Haha. Yeah.

Of special interest: the mysterious discs from which the first Pokemon were hatched.
Ugh. I can’t.
Wow. Haha. It’s bad.

Now it’s time to take on Boulder Gym. Intimidatingly, it’s inside an actual boulder. Legend has it that the gym’s founder carved it out with his teeth.
Pfft. Haha.
:rolleyes:

Our first opponent is a JR. TRAINER.
I have no problems with this.
This is good.

JR. TRAINER sends out Diglett, and I choose Horny Dad 420. All who face Horny Dad 420’s mighty horn must yield.
Oh, I get it. Like Iron Man.
Dumb and bad. Like the LP.

Then Horny Dad 420 tames the Sandshrew using fighting.
Lol. Literally.
Do something else. Don’t do this. Do a different thing.

Finally, it’s time to take on B. Rock himself.
Okay.
Okay.

He has two Pokemon, Geodude and Onix. Weed Goku is strong against both of them.
Strong against good LPs.
Strong at sucking.
Haha.

Weed Goku uses Leaf Attack and Seed Shooter to take out both of B. Rock’s Pokemon.
Wow, haha.
Haha. Haha. Haha. Haha. Haha. Haha. Haha. Haha. Haha. Haha. Haha. Haha. Haha. Haha. Haha. Haha. Haha. Haha. Haha. Haha. Haha. Haha. Haha. Haha. Haha. Haha. Haha. Wow.

Victorious, we claim the Pewter Badge! Next time, off to Route 3 and then Cerulean City, Oregon for the Cascade Badge.
Bread is right?
Bread is right.

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.
Slowbeef and Diabetus really added a new flavor to this LP. I hope you can rope them back in for a future part.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Chip Cheezum and Geop for next update please.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Chip Cheezum and Geop for next update please.
I'll talk to them and see what I can do.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It was amazing to see three LP superstars together at the same time. You guys had such great chemistry together, I'm not afraid to say that it sent chills down my spine. Eagerly :f5:ing this LP.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Horny Dad 420 is the gooooooat

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I have WEED GOKU as a friend on Steam. If you want him to be your friend too, that's to bad.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Plz get RichardGamingo to guest in the next update, tia.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

Plz get RichardGamingo to guest in the next update, tia.
The next update will be written by Cornshaq, but I'm worried it might hit the text limit.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
This thread needs more fanfic/art

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Booties posted:

This thread needs more fanfic/art

agreed.

Here's my favorite bakugan - pikamon

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Broenheim posted:

agreed.

Here's my favorite bakugan - pikamon

Added to OP.

Nuffkins posted:

This thread needs fanart.

Not pictured; all the sex LP superstars must have.
Added to OP.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
Will you be showing off the highly controversial trade feature? Before the crash of the Pokeconomy you could make a huge profit by catching low and trading high though it did spawn a black market of illegal trading where many children ended up in debt owing hundreds of Pokemon that they couldn't possibly capture.

That said I have some high value Pokemon I could trade with you for a reasonable price.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

name something vegeta

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

name something vegeta
Read Update 2.

Cutscene Powers
Jun 7, 2010
Not really fanart, but I found some concept art for the upcoming gritty Pokemon Red reboot: Pokemon Dead Red. It's shaping up to be an open world Pokemon/Deus Ex/Godzilla crossover set in a future where augmented Pokemon roam the streets of downtown Saffron City.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cutscene Powers posted:

Not really fanart, but I found some concept art for the upcoming gritty Pokemon Red reboot: Pokemon Dead Red. It's shaping up to be an open world Pokemon/Deus Ex/Godzilla crossover set in a future where augmented Pokemon roam the streets of downtown Saffron City.

Sorry, this is actually concept art from a 2008 Pokemon/Rampage crossover released only in Japan. It's been making the rounds for the past few months, but Pokemon: Dead Red is a reimagining of the American west.

Cutscene Powers
Jun 7, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sorry, this is actually concept art from a 2008 Pokemon/Rampage crossover released only in Japan. It's been making the rounds for the past few months, but Pokemon: Dead Red is a reimagining of the American west.

drat I got swept away by the hype train, I guess this is what I get for relying on the Amazon message boards for the latest game news.

To make up for it allow me to post some legitimate fanart:

I believe I captured your likeness quite well FactsAreUseless!! I bought Photoshop especially for it and as you can see it was well worth it. I hope you don't mind that I pictured you using the catchphrase of the trainer from the popular anime that accompanied this series, translated faithfully of course from the original Japanese and not from the *snort* Western release.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cutscene Powers posted:

drat I got swept away by the hype train, I guess this is what I get for relying on the Amazon message boards for the latest game news.

To make up for it allow me to post some legitimate fanart:

I believe I captured your likeness quite well FactsAreUseless!! I bought Photoshop especially for it and as you can see it was well worth it. I hope you don't mind that I pictured you using the catchphrase of the trainer from the popular anime that accompanied this series, translated faithfully of course from the original Japanese and not from the *snort* Western release.
Added to the OP.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I got this when I googled for Weed Bulbasaur.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Super Excellent Go! Bonus Update Number One

Now that my thread has hit Ultimate Comedy Gold Rating and can be rated no higher – thanks to that guest appearance from Youtube legends Slowbeef and Diabetes – I have something special for everybody. Being an LP superstar, I was able to arrange an interview with Satoshi Tajiri, the creator of Pokemon!

Let’s all welcome Mr. Tajiri.

[speaking Japanese]

Mr. Tajiri. Satoshi. May I call you Satoshi? Satoshi-chan (uguu~~~), development of Pokemon Red began in 2000, but the game was not released until 2002. What was it like, having to adjust to the post-9/11 environment?

[looking confused] [speaking Japanese to cameraman]

Some have said that the ghost-type Pokemon Giegue was based on a traumatic childhood event. What lead you to express your personal demons through your game?

[polite silence]

In your own words, describe the craft of game design.

[checking cell phone, mumbling]

Much has been made of your rivalry with on-again/off-again lover Shigeru Miyamoto. Has that relationship influenced the similar rivalries in your Pokemon series?

[speaking Japanese, angrily, leaving table]

Thank you very much for your time, Mr. Tajiri. And thank you for being part of this Let’s Play Interactive Experience.

There you have it, everyone. A candid interview and the meeting of two great minds.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That was a very illuminating interview! I feel as though I understand the themes behind the Pokemon series a bit more now.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

That was a very illuminating interview! I feel as though I understand the themes behind the Pokemon series a bit more now.

I disagree, I think your interview technique needs some work. It felt like you guys kept talking past each other.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

You also forgot to ask him the question I sent you by postcard, the one about the official Pokemon timeline.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

You also forgot to ask him the question I sent you by postcard, the one about the official Pokemon timeline.
Here's the official timeline, from the Pokemon Wiki:

Pokemon Red (2003)
Pokemon Green (2003)
Pokemon: Code Red (2010)
Pokemon: Blue Crystal (2010)
Pokemon: Eternal Blue (2009)
Pokemon: Pigeon Passion Pink (2013)
Pokemon Yellow (2004)
Pokemon Stadium (2004)
Pikachu's Quest (2008)
Pikachu's Mysterious Dungeon (2010)
Pokemon: Pikachu's Pinball Panic! (2004)
Hey You! Pikachu! (2004)
Pikachu Rhythm Attack! Electric Boogaloo (2004)
Pokemon Puzzle League (2004)
Pokemon Silver (2006)
Pokemon Gold (2006)
Pokemon Stadium 2 (2006)
Pokemon: Mystery Dungeon (2006)
Professor Oak's Mean Ball Machine (2006)
Super Smash Bros. (2007)
Pokemon: Silver Star (2011)
Pokemon: Stay Gold Pony Boy (2011)
Pokemon: Mystery Dungeon DX (2008)
Super Smash Bros. Melee (2011)
Pokemon Sapphire (2012)
Pokemon Ruby (2012)
Pokemon Stadium 3 (2012)
Pokemon: Mystery Dungeon 2 (2012)
Pokemon Black (2013)
Pokemon: Bible Black (2013)
Pokemon White (2013)
Pokemon: White Power (2013)
Pokemon Stadium 4 (2013)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2013)
Pokemon XX (2014)
Pokemon XY (2014)
Pokemon Stadium 5 (2015)
Pokemon: Rival's Quest (2005)
Pokemon: Rival's Quest Gaiden (2007)
Pokemon: Rival's Redemption (2009)
Pokemon: Rival Hearts: Guilty Eternity (2011)
Pokemon: Rivalry Reborn (2013)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

All other Pokemon games are officially non-canon.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

You forgot about Chef Boyardee's Shut up and Jam Gaiden: Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa, which is explicitly canon.

Cutscene Powers
Jun 7, 2010
The canonicity of that particular title is a thorny topic. It is well known that it was the subject of intense disagreement between Satoshi Tajiri (the creator of Pokemon) and Sound Director Junichi Masuda, which led to their falling out after a heated sake-induced argument at a popular lap dancing establishment. It is widely believed within the industry that this is what led to dissolvement of the company in 2009, as Masuda embezzled billions of yen from the profits of the Rival's Quest spinoff series.

As with any popular video game, the debate spilled over onto the streets and schoolyards of the world as people divided themselves into Satoshians and Junichi-ites. Crime statistics from the USA in 2008 attribute 7521 cases of aggravated assault, 32 homicides and 3 suicides to the events going on at Game Freak at the time.

I'm not surprised FactsAreUseless has decided to steer clear of this controversy and not mention the title in his list. The fact of the matter is that Chef Boyardee's Shut up and Jam Gaiden: Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa is not formally recognised as canon by The United Pokemon Council and so that is the stance we must take until we hear otherwise. I applaud FactsAreUseless for not fanning the flames of this debate and I would appeal to the thread to allow common sense to prevail and drop this topic before we have another tragedy on our hands.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cutscene Powers posted:

The canonicity of that particular title is a thorny topic. It is well known that it was the subject of intense disagreement between Satoshi Tajiri
I called Mr. Tajiri's office not long after our interview, and his spokesperson said something in Japanese. I think that pretty much concludes the argument.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Oh man Hey You, Pikachu was in 2004? I feel so old now! Only true 90's kids will remember the scene where you had to talk Pikachu down from the ledge or that one point where you have to take way all ohis meds by shouting "YOU DON'T NEED THEM TO LOVE, PIKACHU" into the microphone attached to your N64 controller. Remember N64? and the orginial gameboy? I do!

The 90's :allears:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Oh man Hey You, Pikachu was in 2004? I feel so old now! Only true 90's kids will remember the scene where you had to talk Pikachu down from the ledge or that one point where you have to take way all ohis meds by shouting "YOU DON'T NEED THEM TO LOVE, PIKACHU" into the microphone attached to your N64 controller. Remember N64? and the orginial gameboy? I do!

The 90's :allears:
This post is so Semisonic it makes me wonder where we are going without ever knowing the way.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

FactsAreUseless posted:

This post is so Semisonic it makes me wonder where we are going without ever knowing the way.

After a fastball like that, I think it's closing time for the thread.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

After a fastball like that, I think it's closing time for the thread.
This post is making me steal_my_sunshine_lem.mp3.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Quickly looking around town, the only thing I find is a Potion behind a Cut tree (via a back entrance to the area). After that, it's time to check out the Poké Mart!

As soon as I head in, the clerk notice me:

Uhoh.... Do they have something against Pallet Town people!? :ohdear:

Clerk: "Can you deliver this to Professor Oak?"

Oh..... Phew......

So I get a parcel to deliver to Gramps.

Unfortunately, the guy won't let me buy anything until I deliver it..... :stonk:

So anyway, we're heading back to Pallet Town! But first, let's check out a few more things, like the Trainer School!

Heading in, it's a very small school (only one student), but there's the traditional blackboard with all the status ailments (Poison, Burn, etc.) listed on it. There's also a notebook with other boring info. I decide to look through it anyway for the hell of it...

After flipping through a few pages, the girl sitting there notices what I'm doing:

Sorry....

Time to check out other things, like.......

Dafuq???

So yeah, there's an old guy in the middle of the road. I try to go buy him and see what happens:

Claims that the rest of the way is his 'private property' or something like that.......

His granddaughter apologizes and says he hasn't had his coffee yet today.

Ah, so this is the hyperactive guy who had a double shot of espresso in GSC/HGSS. Something tells me he needs to go to coffeeaholics anonymous...

So anyway, I won't be going that way for a while.

I check out a few more buildings. One has a guy and his daughter in it. Guy has a Spearow nicknamed 'Speary.' Clever.....

After that, I decide to head west towards Route 22 for a bit. After level grinding a bit, I reach the end of the route and:

Going inside, I try to get through, but there's a guard...

Guard: "Let me see your badges."
Me: "Um..... I don't have any...."
Guard: "YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE THE BOULDER BADGE YET!?!"

*gets grabbed by the guard and tossed out on my rear end*

Ow......

Okay, not all of that happened, but he did comment on me not having the Boulder Badge yet.

I level grind a bit more and get Charmander to level 9! Then I remembered that I haven't really taken a good look at Charmander yet:

He has a Lax nature (Def. +/Sp. Def. -). Not the best for him, but oh well...

After that, I decide it's time to head back to Pallet Town. I take the shortcut through Route 1 over the ledges to get back faster.

As soon as I get back, I head to Oak's Lab and deliver the parcel to Gramps:

It's a custom Pokéball that he ordered.

Then Blue enters:

Uhoh.... He's starting to inherit his grandpa's forgetfulness.....

So anyway, Gramps has something for us:

Yay! Pokédex! (note: I won't be trying to 'catch 'em all' in this LP)

Gramps also gives us 5 Pokéballs! :woop:

In exchange for all of that, we have to hear him ramble again..... *falls asleep*

After a few hours, he finishes rambling. Blue is about to head out, but says he's going over to Daisy's first to get a map. He then tells me something like I should get one too, but not to bother asking his sister for one since she wouldn't give one to me.

I go over there anyway, but first, I go home for a sec to rest up Charmander.

Now that Charmander is ready to go, I head over to Daisy's.

Turns out that Blue is a horrible liar and his sister is of of the nicest and most generous people there is:

Yay! I have a map now! I quickly register it and prepare to head back to Viridian City.

We'll cover that part next time. Until then, see ya!

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
I don't think I like this new direction you're taking the LP in, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
WE'RE ON THE ROAD TO VIRIDIAN CITY!

ON OUR WAY FROM PALLET TOWN!

DO DODOODODODDOOODOOOO DOOOO

• Locked thread