Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
Going to close re-recruitment here. There might be a second round of questions, or I might just make picks in a while!

EDIT: After polling my new applications they have for the most part decided not to care or to forego a second round of questions, so I'm going to make my picks now.

And I will say right off the bat that this was tough; potentially even tougher than the initial picks since I didn't have any way to immediately cancel out a subset of apps and all of these apps were very strong. As such, and possibly due to some sort of encroaching madness, that despite my initial goal of grabbing just two new students, I'm going to be taking four of you. To the two who didn't make it - don't be discouraged please and don't think your apps weren't very strong (because they definitely were), I simply just don't think I can run 12 people at once.

But without further adieu, the four transfers to Julian Victoire Hall are:

Abigale Harris as portrayed by Jenner

Flower Lyth as portrayed by KittyEmpress

Delilah White as portrayed by nil. and

July Chang as portrayed by AdjectiveNoun

Congratulations to the four of you! "But wait!" you, the reader says "there are only two open room spaces!"

Yes but see, Ingrid Mausey and Abigail Hayes are going in together to (ostensibly) rent an apartment off campus, so their room is up for grabs. Therefore, in addition to your backgrounds, which you can feel free to discuss with each other and with the current members of JVH1, please also decide where you're each rooming (one with Melody, one with Tori, and two with each other), and please also refer to the string sheet and give yourselves class schedules.

On that note, any of the current characters already in game who had background strings attached to either Seyah or Kat can feel free to re-distribute them, either to one of the transfers or one of your current dorm mates.

Assuming this goes smoothly, I will probably be able to squeeze the new players in the next scene.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
First off, congrats to those who made it.

Tori's got one open background if anyone wants it, and one for everyone new:

You’re beautiful. Gain a String on everyone.
Someone once saved your unlife. They gain 2 Strings on you.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
I've got no huge preference who July rooms with, though I kind of like the idea of the frumpy hipster nerd rooming with one of the glamorous and sophisticated Gentry/Vampire, so if either Rauri or TheLazyBlank want to claim that, I'm game.

For my strings:

Currency: Amanda, Delilah, Tori, Samantha, Nadia - I take a string on you, and you get to describe something off-putting I said to you!

Treasure: Lenora (OMG, so retro and she doesn't even look like, self-conscious doing it. She really lives in another age!), Abigale (She's BASH - Byronic As All Hell - just look at her, she's like, hella wounded hero), Melody (Thought she was just the standard rich bitch at first, but IDK, I get the sense there's more there? That she's not the vapid starlet she looks like), Flower (She's so natural, and pure, like she's never even considered that hippies are out of style, or that they were a style at all. How can you not love that???) - You all take a string on me.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Currency: Samantha - I take a string on you, and you get to describe something off-putting I said to you!

Ugh, that new girl, July? She does photography or something, I thought maybe she'd be worth hanging out with a bit, because that sounds interesting. But no, she was just like "I know being a hippie is in right now, but maybe you should try being a bit more genuine about it if you want people to think you're cool."

First: How did she know it was fake? I mean sure I don't do a lot to play it up besides having crystals and magic symbols hanging around all the time, but no one else has been able to tell, it's probably that new girl Flower's fault for making people see what a real hippie is like. Just my loving luck a real hippie would show up and really who names their kid Flower?

Second: I'm not trying to do it to be cool! But way to imply I'm not, rear end in a top hat.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

You've been a wallflower all your life, but someone finally noticed you. Give them a string.

S-senpai, notice me!

Thinking Abigayle but I dunno who else it could be.

Someone makes fun of you. What do they say? They give you a condition, and you take 2 strings on them.

Melody, what did you say to Flower, and why would you be so mean? Oh wait it's because you're Melody.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Grats to those that made it in!

Friends / Possessions (altered to account for new PCs / interactions with old ones)
Friends
  • Amanda - She probably hates me, but I still want to be her friend... If she'd just talk to me...
  • Sam - Sam's fun, even if she's got a weird hippy-nerd thing going on. She helped me when everybody else was laughing, and it meant a lot to me.
  • Lenora - Lenora's really caring and thoughtful, and knows when to stay quiet. I'm genuinely interested in trying to help her with her "being dead" problem.
  • Tori - We haven't hung out much, but then again we've both been dealing with our own crises. She seems friendly, think I'll try and spend some time with her at the party.

Possessions
  • July - I could use a personal photographer, and she's doing her best to be trendy. I mean, anti-trendy, but it's absolutely a trend in and of itself.
  • Delilah - There's something fascinating about her, she's intense in an almost violent way. Could use her at the periphery of my hanger's-on now and again.
  • Abigail - She's so determined and yet tragic seeming. I don't really relate at all, but I bet she'd happily explain her life story to me after a present or two...

Enemies
  • Nadia - Colossal bitch.
  • Flower - Technically she started things by smelling so bad, if she'd wash more or use different perfume or something she'd be tolerable.

LifeGetsWorser posted:

Yes but see, Ingrid Mausey and Abigail Hayes are going in together to (ostensibly) rent an apartment off campus, so their room is up for grabs.

Are you kidding me?! Right after I buy a place off campus, they copy me? And are allowed to live there full time?! It's not fair!

quote:

Melody, what did you say to Flower, and why would you be so mean? Oh wait it's because you're Melody.

Or maybe cause Flower smells? Not even bad, really - I didn't say that. It's just that she smells overpoweringly Earthy, sort of like Ellen's food. I was with Lindsey in the Student Union between classes when I first noticed it. I didn't even know where it was coming from, just that it got pungent all of a sudden, and so I asked Lindsey if Ellen was storing leftovers here now too. Some people laughed, but I think she heard me - I was able to tell who it was pretty easily, the hippy chick that retreated in a hurry looking upset. She probably just needs to wash her clothes more often or change her diet or something. Glad she's not in the same dorm as me.

Giving Flower the condition Smells like Ellen's Cooking

Since Kat's gone, the background I had on her is up for grabs.

quote:

Someone would be happier as your possession than your friend. Take two strings on them.

Have you seen that one hipster girl that's always got the camera with her? I asked around, turns out she's named July Chang. Very interested in photography, but other than that reminds me a little bit of Kat - in that she could use my guidance and I could put her zest for art to good use. I mean, I should have a personal photographer. Maybe I'll buy her one? And some editing software? Maybe a video camera too, just to make Nadia mad. Regardless, of everything and one in Victoire, I'm obviously the most photogenic - and it shouldn't be too hard to make July understand that.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

So... there's this girl. Flower.

People look through her like they do me. And, well, I know that it really sucks, so I've made it a point to say hi to her when I see her. She seems to like that, and I know how nice it is just to be noticed when everyone avoids you.

And trust me. I know she's not dead. I followed her back to her dorm one night to check while she was asleep. She's warm!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

My backgrounds posted:

You have two friends who you can rely on for monster-slaying support. Take a String on each.
Samantha and I don't know who else. I'd prefer Lenora but does anyone else want a shot at beating up monsters with Abby?

quote:

There’s someone who knows that you’re the Chosen one,
and wants you dead. The MC gives them a name and two
Strings on you.

This one's all yours LifeGetsWorser.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Currency: Amanda, Delilah, Tori, Samantha, Nadia - I take a string on you, and you get to describe something off-putting I said to you!

July gave me some bullshit about calling her by her real name. Man gently caress off. If you don't want an endearing nick name you can have a derisive one, August. Once I think of a good one I'm going to let June have it. What an anal nerd.

(also I volunteer for nearly any of the backgrounds)

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 20, 2015

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

AdjectiveNoun posted:

I've got no huge preference who July rooms with, though I kind of like the idea of the frumpy hipster nerd rooming with one of the glamorous and sophisticated Gentry/Vampire, so if either Rauri or TheLazyBlank want to claim that, I'm game.

For my strings:

That July girl, what a bitch! She told me that I was just some slave to pop culture, just because I dress nice and I happened to know what was going on with some famous people. Appearances are important for some of us! And then she's okay when Melody does the same stuff, because of some reason.

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Background

quote:

Someone reminded you what love was, when you thought that death had stolen it away from you forever. Give them 2 Strings.
Oh man, Melody. I’ll get right down to it. She’s hot. loving gorgeous. And not in an off-the-shelf Hollywood babe way – which was even more impressive after I realized who she actually is – but there is this hint of beautiful melancholy to her and that makes her… real. Could be a frontwoman with that. Don’t know if she can sing.

What, you asked about love? Well, no, I haven’t made any deep and profound connections in a few weeks. And besides, I am young, I am in college, so when it comes to love and lust I’m pretty sure you’d need a loving crowbar to separate the two.

Plus, for that moment, there was nothing else on my mind and it was just me thinking she was gorgeous and it wasn't yet poisoned by my… thing.

quote:

Did anyone watch you die, or watch you come back to life? If so, you both gain 2 Strings on each other.
Delilah is not yet aware that she is effectively immortal, so anyone that saw her get killed / resurrected did so during the initial go-around a few months ago in New York City. I’m fine with anyone having witnessed it, but think for now it’d be more interesting if Abigale is unaware.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Currency: Delilah - I take a string on you, and you get to describe something off-putting I said to you!
So there was this freshman who apparently thought this was still high school and that he was hot poo poo – I sorted him out. And I guess this July girl sees me and it didn’t agree with how her Pa used to raise her like a proper lady or whatever because when it turns out we’re both heading for Julian Victoire Hall, she makes this quip about how “You know this is a dorm just for girls, right? Haha”.

I just stared at her – and I can stare. Whether that was a joke or not, she can gently caress off.

Accommodations
I am fine with any bunking situation, but maybe some info on what Delilah would think about the configurations:

With Melody
Oh yeah. You know what, maybe I’m diversifying my obsessions. Spice of life when you’re a stalker rear end in a top hat. gently caress me.

With Tori
So I’m sleeping in the bed where only a few days ago a suspected / confirmed murderer slept. Yeah. I can work with that. Wonder if I can use that to get an angle on her former bunkmate, Tori.

With someone else
I’ll find out what makes them tick. And then… we’ll see.

nil. fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 20, 2015

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

AdjectiveNoun posted:

For my strings:

Currency: Amanda - I take a string on you, and you get to describe something off-putting I said to you!

You know that new girl who's just moved in July? She said actually had the nerve to say I was moping too much, and should just get over it already. Yeah right what does she know? I bet she's never been in love with anyone, not that anyone could love her given the way she acts!

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

nil. posted:

Background

Delilah is not yet aware that she is effectively immortal, so anyone that saw her get killed / resurrected did so during the initial go-around a few months ago in New York City. I’m fine with anyone having witnessed it, but think for now it’d be more interesting if Abigale is unaware.

Well, it probably wasn't some place Tori usually goes, but she knows a few things about being dead. NYC is also where she's from. Could work out pretty well.

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

thelazyblank posted:

Well, it probably wasn't some place Tori usually goes, but she knows a few things about being dead. NYC is also where she's from. Could work out pretty well.

Sounds good. Delilah probably did not notice Tori during the initial chaos - would you say Tori told Delilah what she knows straight out or did she just insinuate that she hold something over Delilah? Let's say Delilah approached Tori to talk about whether there's anything to those rumors about her former bunkmate and with the actual intention of learning whether Tori is in an emotionally vulnerable place that could be exploited (that probably ended up disappointing).

nil. fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 20, 2015

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ok so just to keep things organized, here's what still needs to be decided:

From Tori:
You’re beautiful. Gain a String on everyone. (less needs to be decided and more new people need to make sure to give Tori a string)
Someone once saved your unlife. They gain 2 Strings on you. (Anyone can do this, probably one of the new people though?)

From July:
Amanda and Tori need to describe something off-putting that July has said to you.

From Flower:
Someone needs to notice Flower still, unless Abigale is that someone, I'm not clear on it.

From Abigale:
She still needs another monster hunting buddy? Unless Lenora's specifically doing it, again, unclear in the thread.

As far as the other Background goes:

Abigale doesn't know their name, specifically, but she does know there's a group of townies and students who are up to awful and monstrous experiments. She's already come across and broken up a warehouse where they had been keeping some freaky devices and some sort of inhuman tissue samples, and she's sure they're not too happy about that.

Also the new girls (and Samantha >.>) should probably figure out their class schedules if they haven't already.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

LifeGetsWorser posted:

From Flower:
Someone needs to notice Flower still, unless Abigale is that someone, I'm not clear on it.

From Abigale:
She still needs another monster hunting buddy? Unless Lenora's specifically doing it, again, unclear in the thread.

Lenora noticed her earlier. I checked with KE.

Also, I'll take the hunting buddy background if no one else wants it, but I'd prefer not to.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

While I'm deeply, deeply amused at the idea of Melody participating in monster hunter shenanigans, don't think it makes much sense. Unless she was just providing capital / advice, she'd be more than useless.

Still, if you need one and that's all fine, willing to volunteer her for that background.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

nil. posted:

Sounds good. Delilah probably did not notice Tori during the initial chaos - would you say Tori told Delilah what she knows straight out or did she just insinuate that she hold something over Delilah? Let's say Delilah approached Tori to talk about whether there's anything to those rumors about her former bunkmate and with the actual intention of learning whether Tori is in an emotionally vulnerable place that could be exploited (that probably ended up disappointing).

Tori's probably willing to give information but would probably say there's more out there. The only thing Tori hates more than completely lying is completely telling the truth.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Makes sense for Abby to save Tori's unlife. That's good drama for Tori to know Abby is a hunter and have gratitude and yet maybe fear because she has done bad things.

Nil does Delilah want to hunt monsters with Abby? A lot of fear to be found there.

Said this in chat but will repeat that Ms. Aritza and Abby would both be very disconcerted about a cruel unethical experiments group. This entity is a good enemy.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 21, 2015

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Jenner posted:

Makes sense for Abby to save Tori's unlife. That's good drama for Tori to know Abby is a hunter and have gratitude and yet maybe fear because she has done bad things.

Well, if there's a big bad evil doing evil science in town, they probably want themselves a vampire who tends to wear impractical shoes when not explicitly trying to stay alive. Say they have some foot soldier types who tried to get Tori. Didn't get a good look at their faces, but Abby definitely scared them off. Now, why would they be after some generically rich girl from the college?

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Let's get some highlights going for you new people.

Abigale highlight Flower
Flower highlight Delilah
Delilah highlight July
July highlight Abigale

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Abigale, like I mentioned before, is so hot, in that wounded warrior kind of way, you know? Like how everything she does becomes poignant and full of meaning~

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Flower's smell is Volatile.

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

LifeGetsWorser posted:

Delilah highlight July

July. Give yourself to the dark places inside of you.

quote:

Did anyone watch you die, or watch you come back to life? If so, you both gain 2 Strings on each other.

thelazyblank posted:

Tori's probably willing to give information but would probably say there's more out there. The only thing Tori hates more than completely lying is completely telling the truth.
So Tori knows something. Okay, not just something - she knows what I am. That I should be dead. We will finish that conversation. Even if it is the last thing she does.

Jenner posted:

Nil does Delilah want to hunt monsters with Abby? A lot of fear to be found there.
Abigale is a hunter. A hunter of hunters. I got caught up in it, I fight by her side, and honestly? I go back and forth on how I feel about that.

nil. fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 21, 2015

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Delilah highlight dark.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Can you guys add location to your stat blocks for me please? :ohdear:

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

I'm a trendsetter. :cool:

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Rauri in Swampthings posted:

: Nown - since it's a gaze about Melody, I can tell you what it's going to say she needs right now

flatter her ego now and again, offer to pay for the picture frame so she can generously turn it down, and seem unconcerned about celeb life while still caring about the detail of mel's a great deal

Just quoting this so Worser can see if they're not here right now. Will rewrite a bit for my next IC post obv.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Taking my second offskin move, Disaffected: When you turn someone on, roll with cold.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Sam is taking her :siren: Fifth Advance :siren:

Taking a custom Hex, Fizzle: Whenever the person attempts to use an aggressive supernatural power against someone else -for example mind control, supernatural harm, faerie vengeance, a hex, but not say a gaze into the abyss- the effect does not take place.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ok, stuff:

Mostly you all already know that I'm not in a position at this point to MC this game, which is to my neverending regret. However, graciously, AdjectiveNoun has offered to take over for me. So, with the season ending I'll be handing over the keys to the kingdom.

However, as Noun is super cool and everything, he's allowing me to make a PC so I don't have to leave the game entirely, which is awesome.

So I'll go ahead and post a character here, then.

Gabrielle 'Gabby' Jean Baker, The Djinni

Well hello there, I'm Gabrielle Jean Baker, but all my friends just call me Gabby. My mother always said I have a gift for it. That and the looks in the family, but then vanity's a sin so I wouldn't know. Mom's from Montreal, you know. It's nearby. Dad's from Victoire, they met when he was out of town on business and they both knew they had finally found The One for them, and then a year later there I was. Their little miracle, and well, I guess I was a little spoiled as a little girl and all, we are a pretty wealthy family; old money, at least for around here. But you know, I think I turned out alright - I always try and follow the commandments and I pray every day and I help feed the homeless over my summer vacations. I can speak English and French and I've learned some Spanish, and, up until a few weeks ago, everything was going really well, but then, uhm, well...

So a lot of weird stuff happened recently. I guess that always happens when a bunch of new college people come to town - they all think they can party and goof off and be disgraceful and sinful and do all these horrible things to all the nice families and places in Victoire. Only, this year I was going to college myself. Of course, I would never get up to the sort of debauchery that happens there: did you hear about the scandal at the Diner? Or that some boy got murdered? Well, luckily as a commuter I stayed out of most of that. It started pretty easy - I of course was gonna stay home with Momma and Dad and go to church and stay away from the college night life and all that. I was doing a good job too, with my classes and everything - I'm majoring in Theological Studies and going to minor in Cultural Studies, by the way. And I volunteered, and left pamphlets and tried to spread the Good News and everything. But I guess some sinners aren't ready to be saved, you know? Well anyway, I was working on a class project for my Eastern Religions class, and I was in the library, and a couple of boys were being really loud and offensive and rude, they must've had some sort of project having to do with Middle Eastern religions or something because they were in that section, and saying words like "Towel-Head" and "Jihadi" and "Terrorist" and I just wanted to point out to them that most people from there aren't like that at all and it was racist to say so and I offered to help them see the light and maybe pray with them and instead they pushed me into one of the shelves and ran off! Well, I guess some books fell on me and I guess I got a paper cut or something, because one of the books was opened and it was writing in a language I didn't understand, and I must've bled on it, when all of a sudden it glowed, and it was like...a wind picked up or something, and all of a sudden it was like...I was somewhere else.

Well, it wasn't just somewhere else, I was inside the book. Now, I mean, hear me out because it still sounds insane to me too, but it's true, honest. But yes, the book was cursed, or rather, it wasn't really a book, exactly. It was a home, for a Genie, or well, Djinni, or more specifically an Efreet, which are evil spirits - basically demons. Only it had been vacated a long time ago, and, anyone who was offered as a sacrifice would be given to it's power. I guess my paper cut counted, because it...turned me into that. An Efreet. Now, I'm not evil, or a demon or anything, at least, I don't think I am, but...well, first of all let me just state, it put me in this...harem outfit which is just...shameful. I am at least happy I've been able to get out of it since then, but, I guess I'm kind of getting ahead of myself.

Anyway, I felt like I was in there for months, but time doesn't move the same way in the Vessel, so it was just like, 12 hours or so. Long enough for the books to get re-sorted, and my book to get checked out and, I mean, once someone left the book open for long enough, I was able to get out. Billows of smoke and all that, only I didn't HAVE to grant any wishes or anything and thankfully whoever opened it wasn't around when I got out.

So I went home. And first of all I got lectured for what I was wearing and for losing my phone and for not calling, and I got grounded, and I had to say 50 Hail Marys and 100 Our Fathers. Well, I suppose it was fair given how I was dressed, even though it wasn't my fault. But it gave me a lot of time to think about what I was going to do, now that I had all this extra...stuff...in my head. I couldn't exactly tell my momma and dad, which, I mean, omission is kind of a sin but I suppose it's sort of a gray area, isn't it? So...eventually, when I wasn't grounded anymore, I told them it might be for the best if I moved into a dorm on campus. There was a specific one I wanted, too - Julian Victoire Hall.

Whoever has my book is there, somewhere, and I have to get it back from them.

quote:

Name Gabrielle-Jean Baker, "Gabby"
Skin The Djinni
Look wealthy, smoldering eyes
Origin wealthy parents

Stats
Hot +2
Cold -1
Volatile -1
Trespass|Forgiveness 0|0
Resentment 0/3

Moves

Friend Like Me
You have the power to grant wishes, if they have been phrased as a wish or expressed as a desire directly to you. Your wishes cannot heal Harm, but through manipulation of the fiction could cure Conditions. As you fulfill the dreams of others instead of your own, your resentment eventually becomes too much to bear. You have a fifth stat, Resentment, to reflect this, which starts at zero and can climb to 3. If at any time you would take a fourth point of Resentment, instead become your Darkest Self. When you grant a wish during your Darkest Self, reduce your Resentment by one. You can only ever lose one point of Resentment per scene. When you leave your Darkest Self, set your Resentment to 0.

When you attempt to grant a wish, tell the MC what you have in mind, and roll +Dark. On a 10+, the wish is granted according to your interpretation, but there may be side effects. On a 7-9, the wish is granted in a manner similar to what you outlined, but pick one:
~you have to pay an associated price,
~someone else has to pay an associated price,
~you mark 1 point of Resentment and enter your darkest self.

Afterwards:
~If they genuinely thank you, take a string on them.
~If not, they gain a string on you, and you mark 1 point of Resentment.

Monkey Paw
When you twist the words or spirit of a wish to mess with someone, tell the MC what you have in mind and roll +Resentment. On a 10+, the twisted wish succeeds and you may act as though you had rolled a 10+ to shut them down or remove 1 point of Resentment. On a 7-9, you succeed and remove 1 point of Resentment, but pick one from the list:
~You don't reduce your Resentment;
~You take one harm;
~You get caught up in the twist.

Djinn in a Bottle
You've been bound to a trinket--a bottle, a lamp, a ring, or something similar. It can be stolen, but never destroyed. You can only take it back from whoever holds it if they give it directly to you. If you freely give your trinket to someone new, take a string on them. When the bearer of your trinket gives you a command, they choose:
~You mark experience if you follow their command;
~You must hold steady to refuse their command.
Either way, carry 1 forward if you attempt to fulfill their demands.

If you start with this move, choose who has your trinket during your backstory.

Bottled Fury
When you lash out physically, you may roll with Resentment instead of Volatile. If you do, add this to your list of choices on a 10+: Erase 1 point of Resentment.

Seven Leagues in just One Step
If someone uses the words “I wish…” or speaks your name, you may spend a string on them to immediately appear in their presence. If they have your trinket, you may do so without spending a string.

Cast From Heaven
You no longer have a dark stat. Instead, you have a scale, moving between Trespass and Forgiveness. It starts at 0.
When asked to roll with dark, roll with Trespass instead. Whenever you subjugate yourself to someone else’s will, move the marker toward Forgiveness. Whenever you judge and punish others without the lord’s permission, move the marker toward Trespass.
If Trespass or Forgiveness is highlighted, mark experience whenever you roll with that stat or shift the marker in that direction.

Profane Powers
When you are at 3 Trespass, you are able to perform miracles: purifying poisoned water, ecstatic flight, returning to life, bi-location, and so on.
At the end of any scene in which you performed miracles, reset the Trespass/Forgiveness scale to zero, and gain the Condition drained.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, treat it as if you had granted them a wish as per Friend Like Me.

Darkest Self
They like your things, but they don’t like you. They’re too busy fawning over your gifts, taking advantage of your generosity, to even care about the one who put them where they stand now. Maybe it’s time for your “gifts” to do the talking for you. Grant every desire you hear that could be even tenuously interpreted as a wish. Make sure every wish granted has an unexpected and unfortunate twist. If someone had the gall to steal your trinket, they should be your prime target.

You may grant wishes using Friend Like Me without prompting to grant them the worst and most twisted version of what you think they desire, if you do, remove one point of Resentment, even if you already have this scene.

Exit your Darkest Self when your Resentment stat reaches 0 or when someone proves that they like you for you, not for what you can do for them.

Backstory
You’re a doormat. Give everyone a string on you.

You granted someone a wish and it didn't go exactly as planned. Decide how, then take a string on each other.

Someone did something nice for you without expecting anything in return. Ask what they did, and give them a string on you.

Also, since Gabby has Djinn in a Bottle, someone starts with her Book.

1. What's your Major? Undeclared is ok, too.
Like I said, my major's Theological Studies, and I'm going to minor in Cultural Studies. Other culture's myths are kind of fascinating, especially since it seems to be some of them are true!

2. Tell me a little bit about a member of the faculty or staff you've interacted with.
Ms. Abbott is the head of the faith center on campus. It's kind of weird though, since it's an any and all sort of place, like, you've got all the Abrahamic religions represented there, along with Buddhism and Hinduism, and I guess any other faith could come and pray or...meditate or whatever. I try to tell her that the Bible says "You shall have no other God but me", but, she doesn't listen. Nowadays though, things are a bit weirder, obviously. I'm not really sure if the Commandments apply as neatly as I used to think they did.

3. Let me know about a place on campus or in the town you've heard something interesting about.
Uhm, obviously St. Lambert's. The church in town. You know it's been up since before America was even a nation, right? Apparently got founded after the 1600s, which is really cool, there's a lot of history in the old place. Such pretty pictures in the stain glass, too. I swear, if you're really quiet and pray by yourself, you can hear the Virgin Mary herself singing sometimes, up in the rafters. I've checked, there's no one there. It's gotta be something holy!

Notes Exp expenditures as offered by Noun: Got 4 advances for free, so, spent 1 on Bottled Fury, 2 on Cast from Heaven, 3 on Profane Powers, and 4 on Seven Leagues in One Step.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 27, 2015

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Okay, with the season advance, I'm changing Tori's Darkest Self. Will eventually talk to Nown about the details, but the idea is to turn it more into fixation and turning people into more useful pawns (and doing a terrible job at it) than murdering people who matter. Of course, those who don't matter will still get sent to murderedville.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Ok season advance for me skinshifting Amanda to Cuckoo. Because Faerie curse or something.

Dropping the Mortal moves True love entrenched and down the rabbit hole and Excuses are my armor

taking in return the two core Cuckoo moves feathers and shredding the looking glass. and taking that good as my "free move" and A little bird told me to replace my mortal advance.

Assuming Nown doesn't have any objections of course.

quote:

Name: Amanda Ross
Look: Beautiful, Darting Eyes
Skin: The Cuckoo
Origin: Scholarship Student

Stats:

Hot: 2
Cold: 0
Volatile: -1
Dark: 1

Darkest Self:

Somebody is a hack at playing
themselves in their own life. It
grates on you. It's time for you, the
understudy, to take that place in
the spotlight; you portray them so
much better than they do. It's time
to take them out of the picture, using
whatever means necessary. Replace
them. You escape your Darkest Self
when something they do surprises
you, or someone shows a genuine care
for them, or you succeed.

Sex Move:

Once you've had sex with someone,
add 1 to your rolls for passing as them.
(List them here, and also add +1's to
your outfit list.)

+1 to pretending to be Nadia

Moves:

Feathers

Your magic lets you pass as the person
whose clothes you're wearing. When
you're seen wearing someone else's
clothes, but aren't yet passing, roll
with hot. On a 10 up, you're passing
as them - you'd fool their mother and
their favorite hookup. Mark the outfit
you're wearing below. • On a 7-9, same
as above, but choose one:
  • the magic will dissipate if you kiss
    or get kissed,
  • the magic will dissipate if you lash
    out at anyone.
While you're passing as someone, give
social Conditions you receive to them
instead. Physical Conditions still stick
to you. Anyone who takes Feathers also
gets Shredding the Looking Glass.

Shredding the Looking Glass

When someone suspects you're not
who you appear to be, read them this:
"If the enchantment were to be
broken, the edges would be very sharp.
You momentarily notice a gap in my
magic. Choose one:
  • tear my magic away - my identity
    is revealed and the clothes are in
    tatters, but you get scratched up
    in the process and take 1 harm,
  • or, shake your head to clear it - it
    was nothing."

That Good

While you're passing as someone, if
anyone would gain a String on you,
they instead gain it on the person
you're passing as.

A little bird told Me

When you blab vicious lies about
someone behind their back, roll
with cold. On a 10 up, give them a
Condition. • On a 7-9, give them a
Condition, but some people don't
believe you, so gain the Condition liar

Self-Deprecating

When you talk poo poo about yourself to
someone, they choose:
  • argue and give you a String,
  • let it slide and shut you down.
If it's an NPC, MC chooses: they argue
and give you a String, or they mock
you and the MC makes a hard move.

Jumping Out Of Clocks

When you disrobe for someone, take
1 forward to rolling with volatile, and
they choose:
  • offer you an experience point to
    do what they want,
  • trigger your Darkest Self.

Soul Debt

Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. Choose two
Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold Strings
against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings against you,
trigger your Darkest Self

Bargains

Numbing it out

You can give the dark power a String in order to remove a
Condition or up to two harm.

Uncanny Voices

You can give the dark power a String in order to realize
a secret about someone you’re talking to. The owner of
that character will reveal one of their secret fears, secret
desires, or secret strengths (they choose.)

Advancements:
  • Take a move from another Skin (Self-Deprecation, Neighbour)
  • Take a Mortal move (Excuses are my Armor) Take a Cuckoo Move A Little Bird Told Me
  • Take +1 Cold
  • Take a move from another Skin (Soul Debt, infernal)
  • Take +1 Hot
  • Take a Cuckoo Move Jumping out of Clocks

Outfits: Lenora's outfit MIA
Melody's outfit.

Your Backstory

You've stolen an outfit from someone.
Record it under Outfits and gain a
String on that person.

Someone gave you an outfit so that
you could impersonate them - discuss
with them and decide why. Record
it under Outfits and you each get a
String on one another.

Also Re: New backstory do I ignore it or do I get the strings from it?

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 14, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Melody is changing to Queen, as discussed. Losing La Belle Dame and Enemies Closer. Editing in new clique after some discussion with Nown.

Friends - Sam, Delilah, Lenora
Possessions - Tori, Abby, Gabby
Enemies - Nadia, Amanda

quote:

Melody Majorie Skye-Edgars, the Gentry
Origin: Child of Fae Celebrity Power-Couple, and the Rightful Queen of Faerie (and campus)
Look: Enthralling, Bored Eyes

Stats
Hot: 2
Cold: 2
Dark: -1

Moves
The Clique
You’re at the head of the toughest, coolest, most powerful clique around. They count as a gang. Choose one of the following strengths for your gang: they’re connected (with money and designer drugs)

The Shield
When you’re surrounded by your gang, subtract 1 from any rolls against you. (NPCs act at a Disadvantage.)

Faery Boon
You may offer someone else a faery boon, allowing them to:
  • Open 1 passage they otherwise would have been barred from
  • Take 1 forward on 1 goal for the rest of the scene
  • Get an honest answer to 1 question
In exchange, they take the condition Yours Truly [Melody feels like they should be thankful, but also resents them a little, and it's definitely not completely above board]. If they spurn your kindness, give them a string.

Leanan Sidhe
When you Turn Someone On, on a 10+, you can give them Yours Truly instead of taking a string. If they already have Yours Truly, on a 7-9 you can remove one of the options.

*Sans Merci
When you Shut Down someone with the Yours Truly condition, on a 7+ they take 1 harm at your discretion.

*Guide
If you spend a String on someone willing, you can bring them across the veil, into the faery court. The spell doesn’t last long, though, before you’re both returned to the mundane world.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, they gain the Condition one of them. While the Condition remains, they count as part of your gang.

Darkest Self
They’ve failed you. This is all their fault, and there’s no reason why you should have to suffer the consequences of their idiocy. You need to make an example out of each of them, a cruel and unwavering example. You escape your Darkest Self when you relinquish part of your power over to someone more deserving, or when you destroy an innocent person in order to prove your might.

Advances
Guide
Enemies Closer
Sans Merci
Cold +1
Changed Skins

Rauri fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 27, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Using my Season Advance to change to a Fae: a transformation due to the constant exposure to Faerie magic Sam's been experiencing lately. She's noticed her magic is getting more colorful and Fae in general, but isn't aware of her specific changes yet, and probably won't be until she visits Fae, or promises start breaking and she figures out why it bugs her.

Unless Nown complains, I'm going to keep all my old moves, since none of the core ones make sense to give up, Disaffected is important to how Sam's been playing lately, and I'd just immediately retake Scales as my first advance which just feels like feat tax and a bit counter to the idea.

The Fae posted:

Name: Samantha Hunter
Look: coy, deep eyes
Origin: gifted, stole the gift

Moves
Faery Contract
If someone breaks a promise or contract made to you, take a String on them. When spending a String to even out the score and get justice on a broken promise, add these options:
~ they gently caress up something simple at a crucial moment;
~ add 2 to your roll on an act of vengeance;
~ they suffer 1 harm, whether the cause is obvious or not.

Lure
Whenever someone makes a promise to you, they mark experience. Whenever someone breaks a promise to you and you seek vengeance, mark experience.

Sympathetic Tokens
You gain power from sympathetic tokens - items of personal significance that you take from others. Each sympathetic token counts as a String.

Hex-Casting
You can cast Hexes. Choose two that you know. To cast them, either expend a sympathetic token during a secret ritual, or meet the target’s gaze and chant at them in tongues. Then roll with dark. On a 10 up, the Hex works, and can easily be reversed. On a 7-9, it works but choose one:
~the casting does you 1 harm;
~the Hex has unexpected side effects;
~trigger your Darkest Self.

Bide My Time
If you’ve got a sympathetic token against someone, add 1 to all rolls to hold steady against their actions or to run away from them.

Scales
Once per session, you can transform into a being wrapped in terrifying magical energies, overflowing with power and magic. Give yourself the Condition secretly vulnerable. While transformed, you can roll to lash out physically with dark, except do as much harm as you like. When the scene ends, you collapse back into your human form.

Disaffected
When you turn someone on, roll with cold.

Sanctuary
You have a secret place for practicing witchcraft. Add 1 to all rolls you make within this space.

Hexes
@ Wither
The person loses all of their hair, or their teeth start rotting and falling out, or their period comes and it comes by the bucketful, or their skin gets all sickly yellow and spotty. Whatever the specifics, it’s bad.

@ Binding
The person cannot physically harm others.

@ Ring of Lies
Whenever the person attempts to lie, they hear a piercing ringing noise. Big lies will often make their knees buckle and disorient them. Severe lies can cause harm or even brain damage.

@ Watching
You enter a deep sleep, and begin to see the world through the eyes of the hexed. You can feel their reactions to and impressions of what they are seeing.

@ Illusions
Pick one: snakes and bugs, demonic visages, false prophecies, non-existent subtext. The hexed sees that thing everywhere. You have no control over the exact images or manifestations.

@ Fizzle
Whenever the person attempts to use an aggressive supernatural power against someone else -for example mind control, supernatural harm, faerie vengeance, a hex, but not say a gaze into the abyss- the effect does not take place.

Stats
Hot: -1
Cold: 2
Dark: 2

Advances
@: Offskin Move: Sanctuary

Darkest Self
Everything you say is a promise. Everything you hear is a promise. If a promise is broken, justice must be wrought in blood. To escape your Darkest Self, you must in some way re-balance the scales of justice.

Sex Move
When you lie naked with another, you can ask them for a promise. If they refuse, take 2 Strings on them.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 4, 2015

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
I'm gonna try MCing now so Abby is now an NPC. Wish me luck.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Sorry you don't get to keep playing Abby, Jenner - but thanks a ton for volunteering to MC the thread. I'm sure you'll do a good job (or else) :).

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

quote:

Backstory
You’re a doormat. Give everyone a string on you.

Okay, everyone in this dorm looks at me funny. Like, patronizingly. Like because I have Faith I'm just kind of adorable and naive and ignorant. It's really...hard to deal with, kind of. Do they not get what town they're in? Like, it's not "cool" to be Christian or whatever, I get it, but I thought we would be past that nonsense once high school was over. Guess not...

You granted someone a wish and it didn't go exactly as planned. Decide how, then take a string on each other.

Oh, I knew who Melody Skye-Edgars was before I moved in, I had seen that mess she made on the news - like, whatever, I guess love who you love but keep it to yourself, you know? I guess I didn't expect to end up her roommate is all. She...well she tries to hard to seem important to everyone but she doesn't do anything nice for ANYBODY, she didn't even help me move my things in! So, I'll admit, a part of me was looking for something to...use. I still kind of wrestle with some of my new instincts, I guess. Well anyway, one day I caught her looking a little down and I asked, and she said she wished she got some positive press. I suppose I felt bad, not that I ever really had to worry about press or anything, but, I guess it must be tough to have all your sins and shortcomings exposed, so...I tried to grant it, subtly...

...only, what happened was some cell phone pictures of hers' got out and got to the press. Uhm...some...rather scandalous pictures. The sort that you wouldn't want getting out. I suppose it's positive because she's absolutely gorgeous (not...not that I'd really have any idea...) and it probably made her some more (teenaged boy) fans, but...that wasn't my intention or anything. Hopefully she hasn't figured it was me that did it, not that I know how she'd figure it out, anyway...

Someone did something nice for you without expecting anything in return. Ask what they did, and give them a string on you.

Now, Amanda Ross is a bit better than what I originally expected. She was the one Melody got all...handsy with at the Diner, you know? And apparently she was coerced, according to the news. The poor girl. Well, she helped me move my things in, I didn't even ask, she just offered. She seems like a nice girl, and...she told me to watch out for my new roommate - not that I wasn't going to do that anyway, but...it's good to know somebody who didn't immediately strike me as a user. I'm sure she's a nice girl just trying to get through school, even if she made a mistake and got mixed up with Ms. Skye-Edgars.

Also, since Gabby has Djinn in a Bottle, someone starts with her Book.

So, the book, it's called the "Alttariq 'iilaa Alssama' Fi Muntasaf Alllayl fi hyn 'ann Almashi Ealaa Alddkhkhan w Alnnar", or the "Path to Heaven at Midnight while Walking upon Smoke and Fire"...I dream about it. Every night since all this happened to me. I don't even know if it had a title before it...claimed me. But that's the title now. And I've seen it...it's...in that...sinner Nadia Fern's room. She's...obscene! First of all, she barely even bothers to dress and secondly she flaunts it! If she ever...EVER figures out what the book is, I...I don't know what I'll do. I need to get it back as soon as possible!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
I was thinking of changing the singleton rule to one string per move per victim but that was a bad idea maybe?

Obviously the power is going to my head.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Mel's Clique
Melody is at the head of the toughest, coolest, most powerful clique around, obviously. They count as a gang, and they’re connected (with money and designer drugs)

Rebecca Kumar - Melodious Herald

You've probably met Rebecca. She's met just about everyone in town, somehow - she has a real knack for meeting people. Guess that's how she got voted in as SGA Vice President, and why whenever I need a phone number, she has it. She actually called me the next day after the party to thank me for hosting, remarking on a few of the subtler details in how the place was decorated - and a few clever questions about some of the people that had conveniently not heard of the party. Messaged her back, unlike basically everyone else that contacted me, and we hit it off. She's a junior, and got a real talent for networking and getting along with all different types, plus she has links to the administration due to her SGA position. Behind closed doors she gets gossipy and jokes a lot, she's a lot of fun.

Thomas Rousseau - Master of Ceremonies

I'm about half sure Thomas is some sort of Party Golem. The man is a fun-times machine, which also means he's an extremely functional alcoholic. He came to college to have fun, but has a 3.0 or something despite his seemingly singular dedication to enjoying himself. He apparently managed to commander the music at my party and starting DJing, and did a really good job. A few people tweeted at me about how awesome my party was specifically because he was DJing. Obviously I was intrigued, messaged he, we met up... and yeah, he's a lot of fun, even if his boyfriend's lame. He's tons of fun and gives good advice - and if I ever want something to drink, he's pretty much guaranteed to have a flask or two on him, which comes in handy.

Lindsey Simmons - Chief Solicitor

Lindsey's a lot of fun! I met her on the first day, and we've gotten along well since then. She was a little overwhelmed by the avalanche of Pre-Law homework she ends up with at the start of the semester and we didn't get to hang out much, but she seems to have a better handle on things. She gets along well with everyone too, but her magnanimity is much less feigned than Becca's. She's rushing some Sorority or another, I don't remember. She also knows I'm Gentry, unlike the other two - and she thinks its amazing, of course. Haven't told her about any of my other classmates, though. It's my intent for her to finish school here, then I'll pay for her law school in exchange for her working for me when she's finished. I could use a good and trustworthy lawyer, and she's the type of person that's going to excel.

Original Writeup from LGW, before Season 1 started: Lindsey Simmons - is a tall, statue-esque blonde. She wants to be everyone's friend. Comes from a rich family. Studying Pre-law, trying to become a lawyer (or a politician). Maybe too friendly.

TLDR version
Gang as a whole - Wealthy and connected popular kids, the 1%.
Rebecca - Knows everyone, SGA Vice President, an adept social chameleon, bitchy and gossipy behind closed doors.
Thomas - Non-stop party machine, functioning alcoholic, and semiprofessional fun-time-haver.
Lindsey - Pre-Law major, gregarious and nice, has a difficult courseload, knows Mel is Gentry.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 31, 2015

• Locked thread