Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

mkob posted:

Yeah the PSN version is kinda poo poo but ok enough if that's the only way for you to play the game (beggars can't be choosers). You get massive frame rate drops when there's SAND onscreen after hitting multiple enemies at once or tripping them like pic related.

PS2 > PCSX2 (emulation) > PS3

So like I said the PS3 version has slowdowns all over the place especially when hitting multiple enemies at once, somehow the "dust" or sand effect you see after breaking an object or tripping an enemy makes the PS3 freak the hell out (I've heard that disabling the enemies' health bar in the option menu fixes this issues, although it didn't work for me), some boss fights will lag like crazy (Azel when he performs roulette moves for example), the graphics look like rear end and last but not least there's input delay with your controller. The game is also unplayable if you're from Europe and select 50Hz (I tried to see the differences between PAL and NTSC and I can't believe what Europeans had to go through when playing PS2 games.)

PCSX2 has the best graphics since you can tweak everything but there's still input lag/audio issues because emulation isn't perfect and running the game properly depends on the specs of your computer, however there's no slowdowns when "dusting" enemies like you get on PS2 and on the PSN version. You can use save states, change memory cards at will, and record footage with FRAPS or OBS very easily.

PS2 is arguably the best version if played on a CRT monitor, though I would assume the PCSX2 version can be considered superior if your PC has really good specs.

I knew I was feeling delay, moving from punching to guard breaking feels clunky as hell and theres a definite lag in your dodging. It makes a hard game even harder but in a completely artificial way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Funny story about that, the PSN version of God Hand almost killed my PS3. I got mine in 2008 with the MGS4 bundle (FAT ps3 model, 40 GB capacity) and well... see for yourself (ignore the mess in my room, that was two years ago). The next time I turned on my ps3 to try god hand again, the frame rate was completely nuts like Blighttown from dark souls, a literal slideshow. I had to clean the console and now it's slightly better and I don't get this insane fan noise anymore, however I think the PS3 HDD is starting to die as well because I got some really hilarious loading problems playing Red Dead Redemption.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Hmm, I've sold sold my copy of the PS2 disc and my laptop isn't strong enough to run PS2 emulators in a capacity necessitated by an action game, thankfully I've bought the NA version of the game for the PS3. Oh well, for my amateur needs it should suffice if I'd ever want to play the game again.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Y'all who're God Hand veterans should check out Mkob's youtube channel. He absolutely clownshoes this game.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Y'all who're God Hand veterans should check out Mkob's youtube channel. He absolutely clownshoes this game.

Umm, yes?

e: oh I getcha

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
I think the game people were thinking of that was based off a modified RE4 engine was actually the first Devil May Cry - More like, DMC was intended to be a sequel to RE3 (actually 2 according to wikipedia?) but also ended up becoming a game about a snarky badass hero defeating hordes of mooks with stylish moves.

those ads were about what I'd expect for a game of this sort of tone.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 26, 2015

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Just started playing God Hand today before watching these videos to discover you can play it like loving Dynasty Warriors. Nice.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to shoryuken people once they're launched.

Also, now it keeps recommending me a god hand video made by total biscuit, is there some kind of mod I can get for the internet that removes this? Thanks

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Hbomberguy posted:

Also, now it keeps recommending me a god hand video made by total biscuit, is there some kind of mod I can get for the internet that removes this? Thanks

If it's in your recommended section on your home page, I know there's a button you can click next to the title of the video that's a vertical ellipsis, and you can click "Not interested"; it removes the video from the recommended feed and it finetunes stuff it recommends to you. I haven't seen any videos from him or Pewdiepie in my recommended stuff or sidebar since doing this for several videos.

If it's just in the sidebar you're kinda hosed.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Yeah it's the sidebar. I think I'm going to cover part of my screen with tape.

The game is amazing and this Let's Play is the best showcase there is. Burn down all museums.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Bluhman posted:

I think the game people were thinking of that was based off a modified RE4 engine was actually the first Devil May Cry - More like, DMC was intended to be a sequel to RE3 (actually 2 according to wikipedia?) but also ended up becoming a game about a snarky badass hero defeating hordes of mooks with stylish moves.

those ads were about what I'd expect for a game of this sort of tone.

You can totally tell DMC1 was going to be a Resident Evil from the first few levels, what with the nonsensical castle architecture and convoluted ways to open doors. :v:

Hbomberguy posted:

Just started playing God Hand today before watching these videos to discover you can play it like loving Dynasty Warriors. Nice.

mkob can play it like Dinasty Warriors. Regular humans like you and me can only ever manage to scrape by normal mode.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Edmond Dantes posted:

You can totally tell DMC1 was going to be a Resident Evil from the first few levels, what with the nonsensical castle architecture and convoluted ways to open doors. :v:

mkob can play it like Dinasty Warriors. Regular humans like you and me can only ever manage to scrape by normal mode.

Speaking of which, I poked through their YouTube channel a bit and turned up this video showing a fight against something like 8 opponents at once. It's for a future mission, so I guess it counts as spoilers for the LP, even though nothing plotwise really happens in it. As for the fight, uh, mostly the enemies just kind of stand there. It's weird. :stare:

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

I can't for the life of me figure out how to shoryuken people once they're launched.

Enemies have to be above your head first, then press down on the left stick and triangle at the same time for a shoryu. Air Launch Kick is up on the left stick and triangle. The proper height is after a fully charged punch or a charged punch counter hit. Also if you've reached stage 2 then buy Mule Kick at the shop, every juggle moves in god hand will send basic enemies at the right height for air launch kick/shoryuken and it completely breaks the game.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Speaking of which, I poked through their YouTube channel a bit and turned up this video showing a fight against something like 8 opponents at once. It's for a future mission, so I guess it counts as spoilers for the LP, even though nothing plotwise really happens in it. As for the fight, uh, mostly the enemies just kind of stand there. It's weird. :stare:

That's a future KMS video update yeah, stage 6-3. Enemies don't do much because they're programmed to do so whenever a demon pops up, the developers were kind enough to decrease their aggressiveness though they'll still attack you if you get too close from them. It's just like you see in kung fu movies where all the bad guys stand in circle around the main protagonist and wait for their turn.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

mkob posted:

That's a future KMS video update yeah, stage 6-3. Enemies don't do much because they're programmed to do so whenever a demon pops up, the developers were kind enough to decrease their aggressiveness though they'll still attack you if you get too close from them. It's just like you see in kung fu movies where all the bad guys stand in circle around the main protagonist and wait for their turn.

They should totally go back to their weird dancing stance when they do that.

I love the weird dancing

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Are you the God Hand?

Awesome stuff loved your Rizing Zan videos.

EzEight fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 27, 2015

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

^^^^^^ Thank you

Update #7

Stage 1-5 Sneak Into Elvis's Crib!

Correction: time code 5:00
The roulette wheel slow motion only affects the demons lunge attacks (green and spike demons') but it doesn't stop the fatties e. honda headbutt and the other lunges from the different fatty types. It simply looks like an oversight/exploit and not an actual feature by the designers.

KMS 1-5

Moveset used:

Map

Caption

Enemy spawns difference in room of death:

Level 1, 2 and 3:
Wave 1: basic thugs x2
Wave 2: basic thugs x3
Wave 3: midgets x4
Wave 4: Elite thugs x2

Level DIE:
Wave 1: basic thugs x3
Wave 2: basic thugs x2 + fatty x1
Wave 3: midgets x8
Wave 4: Elite thugs x3

mkob fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 3, 2015

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
Once again, this LP continues to have me in awe and show me things I never even considered.

That double demon fight was something else, though. Even I don't have the pair to go out of my way to place a challenge on myself, but you set it and kicked its rear end with style.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Mike, are you a crazy person? Taking on two demons and other mooks at once? Or are you just magic? And how many takes does these take you?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I really should go back to my playthrough of the PSN version. I think, I stopped immediately after beating up the other _hand guy from an earlier cutscene. That was tense, but fun.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You're going to Poke every demon in the game, aren't you? I didn't even know Poke of God existed when I played. :negative:

Can...can you Poke trident demons?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Elvis's Crib is the breaking point for all newbies trying to do a Hard run. The showcase room ambush is just too much to deal with for most people. Can you guess where I gave up?

Also I noticed the flash frame at 6:12 :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 27, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This game broke me with G&S. I had to get two lucky Dragon Kicks to win :negative:

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
I kind of liked how this game only counts how many enemies you kill on each skill level, not how you kill them. I don't like games that force me to get my combo up to a certain level just to pass some arbitrary limit set by the devs.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

bman in 2288 posted:

Mike, are you a crazy person? Taking on two demons and other mooks at once? Or are you just magic? And how many takes does these take you?

I already know the game inside out so I have a general idea of what I'm supposed to do in every stages, the hardest part for me is to come up with a moveset and planning different (unique) scenario for every encounters. It generally takes me half a day to record a stage, I gently caress up a lot because of PCSX2 freaking out whenever my anti virus starts updating randomly or because of fraps dropping frames and messing up the audio, also when I get hit or when something doesn't look clean.

Sindai posted:

You're going to Poke every demon in the game, aren't you? I didn't even know Poke of God existed when I played. :negative:

Can...can you Poke trident demons?

You bet I am. Sadly no, you can't poke trident demons and I've no idea why.

A Curvy Goonette posted:

I kind of liked how this game only counts how many enemies you kill on each skill level, not how you kill them. I don't like games that force me to get my combo up to a certain level just to pass some arbitrary limit set by the devs.

Yeah same here, style meters or score meters are just math and I hate that. I can't stand arbitrary restrictions like time limits or the Zandatasu requirements stuff from MGR, get X amount of Y or else you don't get S rank and all that. It's more tedious than anything.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
Definitely loving this LP, i went back and picked up God Hand (which i haven't played in quite a few months) and started a Normal KMS run. Took me awhile to get back into the swing of things and I spent way too much time in the first few stages. I never used HSK spam but I am one of those people who tries to fight one-on-one most of the time. However you've inspired me to try and learn a bit of crowd control. I can't seem to pull off some of those flying roundhouse kicks or shoryukens on enemies that are really low, but otherwise i'm learning a lot.

I do have one request, is it possible to get the movesets that you use in the KMS videos as well?

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Best episode yet!

Fun trivia: the Half Moon Kick in this game is a capoeira flourishing move called an S Dobrado ("Bent S", because the lead leg makes a movement similar to the letter S bent 90 degrees in the middle). There's a lot of capoeira moves with names that are variations of "half moon", but this... isn't one of them :doh:

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

mkob posted:

Yeah same here, style meters or score meters are just math and I hate that. I can't stand arbitrary restrictions like time limits or the Zandatasu requirements stuff from MGR, get X amount of Y or else you don't get S rank and all that. It's more tedious than anything.

That kind of scoring system definitely feels like a "Japanese gamer" thing. Emphasis micromanaging all your numbers to earn that max rank. You're not a REAL 300 pound antisocial Japanese shut-in who does nothing but play games and argue about video game canon on forums all day gamer until you've gotten the highest score possible. :smugbert: Don't have fun and really explore the combat system, you just need to learn which attacks are the cheapest and fastest so you can rinse and repeat for that max combo!

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Odd posted:

Definitely loving this LP, i went back and picked up God Hand (which i haven't played in quite a few months) and started a Normal KMS run. Took me awhile to get back into the swing of things and I spent way too much time in the first few stages. I never used HSK spam but I am one of those people who tries to fight one-on-one most of the time. However you've inspired me to try and learn a bit of crowd control. I can't seem to pull off some of those flying roundhouse kicks or shoryukens on enemies that are really low, but otherwise i'm learning a lot.

I do have one request, is it possible to get the movesets that you use in the KMS videos as well?

Glad you're giving this game another go. As for the moveset, Stage 1 KMS is mostly default (there's not a lot of moves available at the shop), but I bought Elbow Spin 1 and put it in the 5th square slot, Spinning Backfist as a guard break and the rest is all default (high side kick, barrel roll kick, right roundhouse, charged punch 1.)

Cyphoderus posted:

Best episode yet!

Fun trivia: the Half Moon Kick in this game is a capoeira flourishing move called an S Dobrado ("Bent S", because the lead leg makes a movement similar to the letter S bent 90 degrees in the middle). There's a lot of capoeira moves with names that are variations of "half moon", but this... isn't one of them :doh:

Interesting, I'll add that to the OP. Maybe it's something to do with the US localization, I don't know if the JP names are either pure literal translation or were localized. Here's the Half Moon Kick signs in JP if someone knows moonspeak. Click to enlarge:

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

mkob posted:

It can be easy to make a scoring system that's to arbitrary or restrictive, but I more often than not enjoy their presence in an action game as that's where a lot of the replayability lies for me. DMC 3 still has one of the better ones just because successfully doing stylish combos end up indirectly influencing the other categories you get graded on for each chapter, like orbs collected or total time. It feels the most like it's designed to have you play the game the way that it's intended while still being fairly flexible.

I mean, if you wanna talk about a game that takes arbitrary scoring systems to its absolute extreme, try going for G Ranks in El Shaddai. That poo poo is rigid as all get out, and I enjoy the game even for all its simplicity in mechanics.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

:allears: I appreciate all of the jokes you put in Mkob.
They're pretty great.

Love that one frame gently caress YOU dante

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

mkob posted:

Interesting, I'll add that to the OP. Maybe it's something to do with the US localization, I don't know if the JP names are either pure literal translation or were localized. Here's the Half Moon Kick signs in JP if someone knows moonspeak. Click to enlarge:

Something like "Earth [something "Sho"] Fast Legs" (prob synonym for kick) are the best I can make the characters out as (地翔速脚). I'm gonna guess that most are localised.

Also loving the little Dante :allears:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 28, 2015

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

mkob posted:

Moveset used:

Rolling Sobat owns. It feels so good when you connect a critical with it.

I always thought it was funny how Half Moon Kick is gotten way later than Hand Plant Kick, and at a ridiculous price.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
For all this games faults you can tell that they put their budget to work where it counts. The way Gene moves and fights is just fun to watch. I feel the same about MGR, although that game clearly had a bigger budget.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

mkob posted:

Jesus christ, move names in japanese are a pain. The kanjis are "Earth", "soar/fly", "connect/join", and "feet" which -I think- should be "Jishourenkyaku". Renkyaku appears to just be "kick", so it may translate to something like "Earth Soaring Kick" but that's as far as I can make out. :(

Pesky Splinter posted:

Something like "Earth [something "Sho"] Fast Legs" (prob synonym for kick) are the best I can make the characters out as (地翔速脚). I'm gonna guess that most are localised.

Also loving the little Dante :allears:

Ah, it's 地翔連脚, the radical on the third one is 車 (car) :eng101:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 28, 2015

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Ah, it's 地翔連脚, the radical on the third one is 車 (car) :eng101:

:doh: drat, so close. Oh well :v:

notZaar posted:

For all this games faults you can tell that they put their budget to work where it counts. The way Gene moves and fights is just fun to watch. I feel the same about MGR, although that game clearly had a bigger budget.

Yeah, this. Like, they knew it was going to stand or fall on its combat over everything else, and (correctly) prioritised that.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Thanks for doing a stylish and informative LP of this. Thanks so much.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
You're kicking the game's rear end, but not while just spamming one or two broken moves over and over, it actually tends to look fun, too. I support this.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Did I miss a joke? Why do you tell us to turn down our audio for the God Hand sequence in the gauntlet, and then turn down yours?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
He knew that we would be too lazy to turn it down ourselves.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Valgaav posted:

Did I miss a joke? Why do you tell us to turn down our audio for the God Hand sequence in the gauntlet, and then turn down yours?

No that wasn't a joke, punching 3 dudes at the same time with the god hand active is really, really loud, my speakers were crackling so hard I had to lowered it myself in case someone couldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Got to the first actually difficult-feeling part of the game and stopped for a while, I'm going to see how you deal with it and then feel sorry for myself and go back then.

• Locked thread