Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Tomahawk posted:

I don't think any of this would have worked as a first episode.

Agreed, this episode was placed perfectly here. I don't care what anyone says, Lindelof is the king of time shifting as a story telling device.

This episode worked so well because we knew where it was headed, it was like watching a car accident in slow motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
So those people in the car knew the rapture was coming, right?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Tomahawk posted:

So those people in the car knew the rapture was coming, right?

They were :geno: and thought Kevin was one of them because he was wearing white and smoking.

Tauschemo
Jul 11, 2011

DangerZoneDelux posted:

That was a good episode. That episode revealed a common theme about a few of the disappearances. The people/fetus weren't wanted or were being wished away, Nora getting annoyed at her family, the baby rapture abortion, the crying baby in the car annoying the mother, pretty cool episode

edit: Of course I am slow and may have missed that theme during the episodes prior

I didn't put this together until this episode either.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

DangerZoneDelux posted:

That was a good episode. That episode revealed a common theme about a few of the disappearances. The people/fetus weren't wanted or were being wished away, Nora getting annoyed at her family, the baby rapture abortion, the crying baby in the car annoying the mother, pretty cool episode

edit: Of course I am slow and may have missed that theme during the episodes prior

Who was wishing away the cast of Perfect Strangers? Who?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I saw what the writers were going for pretty early. That build up was fun to watch. I did and I didn't want to see the empty ultrasound.

I'm 100% glad I stuck through this miserable show.

Phenylketonuric
Aug 12, 2003

Came for the human circuit, stayed for Kevin checking under the sheets for the disappearing woman.

Phenylketonuric
Aug 12, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

I saw what the writers were going for pretty early. That build up was fun to watch. I did and I didn't want to see the empty ultrasound.

I'm 100% glad I stuck through this miserable show.

Yeah but now we'll have to deal with people who don't accept that the fetus is raptured without explicitly seeing the empty ultrasound. It's like that Breaking Bad season ender when the last shot is Jessie pointing the gun at Gale/directly into the camera, followed by a gunshot, cut to black, and credits. Next thing you know people are arguing that the very first moment of the next season is going to be Jessie firing the gun harmlessly to one side, sparing Gale.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

JEEVES420 posted:

Immaculate abortion

DangerZoneDelux posted:

the baby rapture abortion

gently caress it, I think these would both work great as thread titles

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Tomahawk posted:

Who was wishing away the cast of Perfect Strangers? Who?
The Departure was random, I'm still guessing, it's just that in the spotlight are the characters we've seen for the last 8 episodes and how they were before it all. Of course all the ones who seemed so hosed up is because they felt so guilty because they feel like they got what they wished for just moments before. As if it were some cosmic prank being played on them.

Oh and Kevin is hosed up because he was balls deep in that woman. He probably didn't want to wish her away. He just snapped. He's just lying to himself.

Besides if that were the case then nearly everyone would've been raptured off like nobody's business.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Sober posted:

The Departure was random, I'm still guessing, it's just that in the spotlight are the characters we've seen for the last 8 episodes and how they were before it all. Of course all the ones who seemed so hosed up is because they felt so guilty because they feel like they got what they wished for just moments before. As if it were some cosmic prank being played on them.

Oh and Kevin is hosed up because he was balls deep in that woman. He probably didn't want to wish her away. He just snapped. He's just lying to himself.

Besides if that were the case then nearly everyone would've been raptured off like nobody's business.

Well at least Kevin got some hot Middle Eastern booty before The Disappearing.

All in all it was the best episode so far IMHO. It brought more depth to the characters, especially Patti--we see why Laurie (haha I've been spelling it Lori this whole time) joined the GR, or at least part of the reason(s). We see the foreshadowing, if you can call it that when something happens before a show goes back in time to foreshadow it, of Jill's beef with her mom and Kevin's impending marriage-wrecking. The show didn't really go into detail on what was going on to cause those beefs really other than Laurie working all the time, but I guess with this show it's to be expected. We also got to see Kevin Sr. and Kevin Jr. hate on each other and now it seems clear to me that Kevin really WAS thrust into the job of Chief of Police after his dad went batshit insane--he was apparently the second in command, being a lieutenant.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Kevin felt like he was not in control of his life, that was the message I got. Literally everyone just shits on him in this episode (and mostly in the present anyway) no matter what he does. Father and the department laugh him out for wanting to save the deer, everyone has this perception he's mooching off Laurie (who I assume was making most of the money), Laurie doesn't like how he handles Tom (since Tom is not Kevin's actual biological son). Oh and his father literally just shits on him during his birthday party (and at great heights) and basically tells his son be stay mediocre because he's probably a trophy husband to Laurie, who he thinks is making all the decisions in the household.

Then he bumps into that woman (I thought she was Indian, not Middle Eastern, but whatever) and seemingly finally gets what he wants (well, the deer in exchange for her basically offering herself to him) and she gets departured away mid-gently caress. It's like someone is punishing him for trying to assert himself.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Sober posted:

Kevin felt like he was not in control of his life, that was the message I got. Literally everyone just shits on him in this episode (and mostly in the present anyway) no matter what he does. Father and the department laugh him out for wanting to save the deer, everyone has this perception he's mooching off Laurie (who I assume was making most of the money), Laurie doesn't like how he handles Tom (since Tom is not Kevin's actual biological son). Oh and his father literally just shits on him during his birthday party (and at great heights) and basically tells his son be stay mediocre because he's probably a trophy husband to Laurie, who he thinks is making all the decisions in the household.

Then he bumps into that woman (I thought she was Indian, not Middle Eastern, but whatever) and seemingly finally gets what he wants (well, the deer in exchange for her basically offering herself to him) and she gets departured away mid-gently caress. It's like someone is punishing him for trying to assert himself.

Haha IDK maybe she is Indian, she looked more Middle Eastern to me but it's anyone's guess. I was just speculating.

And yeah that whole episode was just a poo poo-On-Kevin episode. No wonder he has barely smiled the entire show that I can really recall.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
loving fantastic. That episode almost makes it worth me having only 5 hours of sleep tonight.

Very well done. The wishing them away point is an interesting one. Not sure I'm fully on board but it's certainly interesting. But as someone else said, we are focused on broken characters so it's not surprising their circumstances leading up to it are what caused the guilt and proceeding hosed-up-ness that makes them central characters.

I really hope people understand why characters are as messed up as they are. Directly affected or not, such an event would leave most people completely lost and baffled. Some never recover, others with a bit more distance from the 6 degrees of separation try to ignore it and move on.

Edit: oh and Lucy clearly won the election because the front runner was probably poofed out. Probably why she's almost the least hosed up. Poof event was a huge win for her!

Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 25, 2014

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Now that is how to handle a flashback episode. Fantastic.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I really enjoyed how they tied so many things from earlier in the season into this episode. Kevin trying to get the deer out of house of that couple with the downs syndrome son being the same couple that Nora gave the questionnaire to. The "Neil" bag from the patti/lori episode. Matt's wife.

Did not like patti being some kind of prophet.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Well it gives her a bit of credibility in how she was able to start (?) her cult. Though why Laurie waited over 2 years to join is odd. Then again we don't know when the GR began I guess.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Lots of interesting things to pick apart this episode, tons of good information and things to fuss over while giving you enough about the characters to keep going. I guess my small town alarm is going off, but it is a little weird that everyone was connected, but I know that is a big theme with the writer so whatever.

This show is really getting good, lots of great character drama and some good mystery and misdirection going on. It's really beautifully shot too, some really neat angles and scenes and lighting.

It is pretty funny to imagine Kevin worried he hosed the woman into dust or something.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Sober posted:

I think the best part is that Kevin in the present is basically one step from losing his mind and he is being constantly entangled in poo poo he does not even remember doing. Generally, I am kind of sympathetic to him; not because he is a great guy or anything, but because like you said it just feels like the guy keeps getting kicked even when he is down.

It was also a pretty big :masterstroke: to save this episode for later. At first I kind of groaned at a huge flashback episode, but it does an interesting job of filling in blanks in a way that would have been powerless if this was the first or second episode. Raptured foetus was horrible, and poor Garvey cannot even get some without the universe laughing at him.

edit: Finale in 2 weeks, oh gently caress you HBO.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 25, 2014

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

life is killing me posted:

Haha IDK maybe she is Indian, she looked more Middle Eastern to me but it's anyone's guess. I was just speculating.

And yeah that whole episode was just a poo poo-On-Kevin episode. No wonder he has barely smiled the entire show that I can really recall.

I thought it was Nadia from LOST, but IMDB tells me otherwise.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3288827/?ref_=nmbio_bio_nm

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Something has been bugging me since episode 2; it's gotten so bad I'm posting on the internet about it. Anyone else think the teen at the end of the intro is Walt? :tinfoil:

Phenylketonuric
Aug 12, 2003

El Murguista posted:

Something has been bugging me since episode 2; it's gotten so bad I'm posting on the internet about it. Anyone else think the teen at the end of the intro is Walt? :tinfoil:

You can practically hear the father yelling, "WAAAAAAALT!"

Tauschemo
Jul 11, 2011

Phenylketonuric posted:

You can practically hear the father yelling, "WAAAAAAALT!"

Have you seen my boy?

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

gently caress it, I think these would both work great as thread titles

The Aborture

Also, since unborn fetuses were fair game, I wonder if there were any mothers who were raptured but their unborn fetus was not. I don't think I wanna see the results of that.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Others did 10/14

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Dantu posted:

Agreed, this episode was placed perfectly here. I don't care what anyone says, Lindelof is the king of time shifting as a story telling device.

This episode worked so well because we knew where it was headed, it was like watching a car accident in slow motion.

Yeah. Great episode and it wouldn't have been half as good if it were the pilot.

Ugh 2 weeks until the season finale? I'm actually pretty excited for it...

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I'm really excited about the finale too, just because I don't really understand how they can pull off something "high stakes" like they've been building up to*.

No one cares if the GR members live or die, so what's their trolling really going to do as far as consequences go?

Wayne's entire arc is self contained within the tiny sphere of people who know who he is, and if you believe nothing magical/prophetic is going on with him like I do, his whole story has no tension since the only character we care about already left him.

Everyone else is kind of just meandering around trying to figure their lives out (the entire point of the show).

* if that's actually their intent, and it's not just because they feel the need to cut *~epic finale trailers~*

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

fullroundaction posted:

I'm really excited about the finale too, just because I don't really understand how they can pull off something "high stakes" like they've been building up to*.

No one cares if the GR members live or die, so what's their trolling really going to do as far as consequences go?

Wayne's entire arc is self contained within the tiny sphere of people who know who he is, and if you believe nothing magical/prophetic is going on with him like I do, his whole story has no tension since the only character we care about already left him.

Everyone else is kind of just meandering around trying to figure their lives out (the entire point of the show).

* if that's actually their intent, and it's not just because they feel the need to cut *~epic finale trailers~*

I dunno when the gr puts dressed up real dolls in the homes of those who lost someone all hell is gonna break loose. Nora may we'll find a new reason for that gun in executing every GR member she finds.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Something that came up for me, that I only just remembered after thinking about that episode all night and this morning: Did the product placement in this episode go a little overboard?

It was like watching a moody 7-Up advertisement for a moment there with Laurie in her office.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I dunno when the gr puts dressed up real dolls in the homes of those who lost someone all hell is gonna break loose. Nora may we'll find a new reason for that gun in executing every GR member she finds.

Right that's exactly what I'm saying. No one will be mad or even upset if someone were to do that. And if she went to jail? No one would really care about that either.

In a show where nihilism runs rampant I can't wait to see how they try to pull off something that everyone is sucked in by and cares about (meaning us, the audience, as well).

e: to clarify I don't mean no one will care about the show/story/drama from our perspective, I mean the characters in-universe.

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 25, 2014

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I wonder where the deer analogy is going to go. Kevin obviously identifies with the deer, getting stuck in places he shouldn't be, and trying to extricate it from places where it doesn't "belong." It's weird that Kevin thinks it's just one deer, and recall in the pilot we saw another deer appear, then disappear, then get ravaged by wild dogs. Tangentially related, the "It's a girl!" balloon cutely parallels Laurie's secret pregnancy.

I don't like Kevin's character even in this flashback when things were good, He's still a dick to everyone, and only some of those people (the other cops) kind of deserve it. I guess we're also shown that Laurie's a little controlling and Kevin can't find a way to express what he wants but he acts like an angsty teenager instead of an adult.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Disagreed, Nora is awesome and I would be TV pissed if her character was sent to jail.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Dantu posted:

Disagreed, Nora is awesome and I would be TV pissed if her character was sent to jail.

I agree with this. I have a tremendous crush on the actress and find her character fantastic.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
She's a great actress but her mouth is weird, when she talks it's like she's chewing on cotton or just got done at the dentist.

/edit Is english her first language? Does her natural voice have an accent? Is it from being married to an old fogie playwright?

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 25, 2014

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

messagemode1 posted:

I wonder where the deer analogy is going to go. Kevin obviously identifies with the deer, getting stuck in places he shouldn't be, and trying to extricate it from places where it doesn't "belong." It's weird that Kevin thinks it's just one deer, and recall in the pilot we saw another deer appear, then disappear, then get ravaged by wild dogs. Tangentially related, the "It's a girl!" balloon cutely parallels Laurie's secret pregnancy.

I don't like Kevin's character even in this flashback when things were good, He's still a dick to everyone, and only some of those people (the other cops) kind of deserve it. I guess we're also shown that Laurie's a little controlling and Kevin can't find a way to express what he wants but he acts like an angsty teenager instead of an adult.

You'd be a dick too if life shat on you like it shits on him. But at the same time, he was being somewhat childish about it, what with smoking on the DL when Laurie doesn't care anyway, and not telling Laurie about what's his name going to see that dude and getting arrested. He did have a moment of grace when giving a toast to his dad even though apparently he didn't mean it, he could have said some hosed up poo poo. Instead his dad said some hosed up poo poo to him afterward. I'm sure he feels small knowing he's a cop and his wife is making all the money, but honestly she seems sort of like a dick too, at least in this past episode.

BigD7976
Feb 24, 2014

by VideoGames

Dirk Pitt posted:

I agree with this. I have a tremendous crush on the actress and find her character fantastic.

I immediately had a crush on her after the scene with the hooker.

Still haven't seen the latest episode and accidentally started reading all the theories. Immediately going to watch it when I get home. This show is so well put together.

BigD7976 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 25, 2014

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Well I mean, what if you didn't lose anyone to the not-rapture, and your life is literally unaffected directly? Do you just lose yourself in empathetic grief or continue with life as normal because I mean really, the world can't afford to stop turning because a few assholes disappeared?

A very small fraction of the American population died on 9/11 and it completely changed the political and social atmosphere of the country.

I imagine millions of people randomly dissapearing would turn everything upside down, even if you didn't lose anyone personally.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Yeah there was also Nora saying that her family wouldn't exist as far as the mayor's concerned during the interview.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Elderbean posted:

A very small fraction of the American population died on 9/11 and it completely changed the political and social atmosphere of the country.

I imagine millions of people randomly dissapearing would turn everything upside down, even if you didn't lose anyone personally.

Yeah, you're right.

I still think that at some point life has to go on as normal, I wouldn't expect everyone to be just walking around buried in their own grief forever and ever and staying stuck in the not-rapture rut. Not that Mapleton has "moved on," so to speak, but that people still need to resume their daily lives because poo poo doesn't just stop.

I might have worded a little harshly when I typed what you quoted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Yeah, you're right.

I still think that at some point life has to go on as normal, I wouldn't expect everyone to be just walking around buried in their own grief forever and ever and staying stuck in the not-rapture rut. Not that Mapleton has "moved on," so to speak, but that people still need to resume their daily lives because poo poo doesn't just stop.

I might have worded a little harshly when I typed what you quoted.

We actually knew what happened on 9/11 and people still went batshit insane (see: truthers).

If MILLIONS of people disappeared and literally any explanation completely broke any understanding of the world we had, and it also played into the idea of the rapture with a lot of people left feeling they were unworthy of the rapture, it's safe to say people would be all kinds of hosed up still at the 3 year mark.

I don't get why this is hard for people to understand.

• Locked thread