Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

enraged_camel posted:

So if you have Source collars on, how are you able to cast spells at all? Isn't Source the... source... of ALL magic?

I swear in Early Access there was someone at Amelida's that'd pop the rest of them off after you got yours off inside of the Fort but I haven't run into that so I'm about to attempt to finish the act with three of my dudes still in collars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Why does the character creator only show the level 1 benefit from a skill, even if you've put 2 points in? Or does a skill like Retribution not upgrade further before level 3 or something

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

is it possible to combine huntsman/summoner? since you dont need to buff int you can pump finesse and whatnot. thinking of a death knight dude, huntsman/summoner and then 2 mages

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Anyone got multiple games running yet? Would be good to get some further info on the difference between playing an Origin and having them as a companion. Is their side story the same? Is it different? Do they have more stuff if you play as them.

Lohse in particular as a companion has had some stuff happen that I'm not sure how the game could handle if she was the PC.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Slider posted:

When you finally get the source collar taken off? I feel like I've done most of the first island, around level 5 now and still have it.

There are a couple ways to get your collar removed just like there are multiple ways to escape Fort Joy to the outer island.

Collar: The underground fighting Arena inside Fort Joy is one option. Helping the Seekers at the Amadia Camp is another.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

PirateBob posted:

Why does the character creator only show the level 1 benefit from a skill, even if you've put 2 points in? Or does a skill like Retribution not upgrade further before level 3 or something

The chargen screen info is just all kinds of hosed in general and not to be trusted half the time, essentially :sigh:

For example, a bit before launch inquisitor preset had a staff in the preview, which was why it's warfare skills listed INT bonus. Now they start with a huge hammer... and still list INT bonus to warefare. So on and so forth. Chargen screen acts like it's not true tooltips so much as a bunch of pre-written examples.

Once you are actually in game, things will display right. But, well, that still leaves you having to either hope for the best or google up how skill results actually work.

queeb posted:

is it possible to combine huntsman/summoner? since you dont need to buff int you can pump finesse and whatnot. thinking of a death knight dude, huntsman/summoner and then 2 mages

So long as you remember to raise the actual summoning stat, it should probably work okay. I honestly forget if INT does or does not buff anything for your summons, but them playing decoy with their own attacks should still work just fine while you fire arrows around.

It might even combo better than usual, if you use elemental arrows setting up zones for the incarnate to spawn off of.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 16, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Int does nothing for summons. It can definitely be worth investing in the Summoning tree even if you're not going with the Incarnate too. Geomancy, Polymorph and Necro also have fairly good low level summons and they're solely buffed by your character level/Leadership/Summoning and are otherwise stat independant.

The only thing in the summoning tree I've found that Int does benefit is the bolt attack that spawns a random surface.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

500 good dogs posted:

I swear in Early Access there was someone at Amelida's that'd pop the rest of them off after you got yours off inside of the Fort but I haven't run into that so I'm about to attempt to finish the act with three of my dudes still in collars?

Bah, I was just being dumb and not having the right party members talking to the dudes. Could've had the collars gone a long time ago.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So what are the correct spells to use for the elven trial? I've gotten Winter and Spring but can't seem to trigger the rest.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Gyoru posted:

There are a couple ways to get your collar removed just like there are multiple ways to escape Fort Joy to the outer island.

Collar: The underground fighting Arena inside Fort Joy is one option. Helping the Seekers at the Amadia Camp is another.

Ah thank you, for some reason I forgot going back to the arena after leaving the main town.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Holy poo poo pickpocket is broken as gently caress, this is amazing. Nothing like robbing every merchant in Fort Joy blind and getting away squeaky clean.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Harrow posted:

Holy poo poo pickpocket is broken as gently caress, this is amazing. Nothing like robbing every merchant in Fort Joy blind and getting away squeaky clean.

Yeah two points in thievery on sebille was enough to steal 3 skill books from each merchant. Thats a lot of money saved.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Man, I always forget pickpocketing is a thing you can do.

I've wasted so much money :(

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
So uh, tactician seems pretty hard this time around!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So how does rune crafting work? because all the guides I can find say combining two small runes should make a medium and so on and that isn't working.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rascyc posted:

Yeah, it seems really poorly balanced. I'm just playing classic.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I've noticed a bug with Fane:

Somehow I bugged out his "voice" during char selection and instead of "Fane" he had "trickster" voice. Later in that playthrough, he didn't seem to be getting Fane dialogue choices.

Restarted and now he has Fane voice and Fane dialogue choices.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

has larian made any mention about the memory leak in fort joy that makes it nigh impossible to play through it if you waypoint travel to the square or do they generally take weekends off completely?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So how do you go about getting equipment/skills in the first part of the game? I got a few pieces of equipment from hanging out with the elves but I'm still getting chumped in battle. It doesn't help that Lohse somehow starts without that hydrologist healing spell in her default kit for some reason.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

So if you have Source collars on, how are you able to cast spells at all? Isn't Source the... source... of ALL magic?

Nah, Source is like, divine magic left over from the creation of the world, so it can do miraculous stuff like heal the sick and raise the dead. I think source stones were the only method of healing in the original Divinity game outside of potions/resting.

Then gameplay mechanics gave hydrosophist all the healing spells so source hunters could still heal in Original Sin 1 :v:.

But presumably that's a gameplay/story break and water magic is capable of healing ordinary wounds while source magic could like, cure cancer or something.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 16, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Harrow posted:

Is it possible to donate money to merchants then pickpocket it away? Because I've just started, and I've been pickpocketing people left and right in the ship, then getting away with it by accusing them of being anti-elf racists :allears:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are there any decent weapons to be found around Fort Joy? I'm trying to do the Arena and getting owned because I can't do poo poo for damage.

CommissarMega posted:

Is it possible to donate money to merchants then pickpocket it away? Because I've just started, and I've been pickpocketing people left and right in the ship, then getting away with it by accusing them of being anti-elf racists :allears:

Should be, yeah. Actually I hadn't thought of that, I'll have to give it a try :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Are there any decent weapons to be found around Fort Joy? I'm trying to do the Arena and getting owned because I can't do poo poo for damage.

Should be, yeah. Actually I hadn't thought of that, I'll have to give it a try :v:

There's a really good guaranteed spear, but the rest is random drops or quest reward from the arena :v:

Its one of the reasons I'm cool on weapon dependent chars. Gear is actually really rare and expensive.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Harrow posted:

the teleport gloves let you access a bunch of neat secrets and chests throughout. there's a not hidden at all secret area by the first waypoint that has a guaranteed decent 1h sword too if that's your thing

there's a decent dagger in the dungeons in an office.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

enraged_camel posted:

Nope, it's always been its own thing, even back to the original games Divine Divinity and Divinity 2. Source was a more POWERFUL method of healing, but it wasn't the only method of magical healing.

Rascyc posted:

+50% to enemy Health, Physical Armor, Magical Armor, and Damage dealt will do that. Really, it's not meant for a first playthrough anyway, It's meant to be played after you've beaten the game on Classic and know what you're doing.

Futaba Anzu posted:

has larian made any mention about the memory leak in fort joy that makes it nigh impossible to play through it if you waypoint travel to the square or do they generally take weekends off completely?

I think they take weekends off.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

Source is soul magic. Magic is normal magic.

To go into DnD terms, Magic is cast by wizards. Source is cast by sorcerers/warlocks. It's innate.

Fane is great. I'm doing the full warfare/necromancy/all in on strength character and he's absurd. He can solo most of this game I bet.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

+50% to enemy Health, Physical Armor, Magical Armor, and Damage dealt will do that. Really, it's not meant for a first playthrough anyway, It's meant to be played after you've beaten the game on Classic and know what you're doing.

Is that what it is? That explains a lot about my current game. That's pretty disappointing, to be honest. The awesome thing about tactician in DOS1 was that while enemies did get a slight stat bump, the true difficulty came from changed encounters by having additional skills on enemies, or more enemies, or stronger kinds of enemies. Just giving everything massive stat boots is a pretty awful way of increasing difficulty.

Probably gonna keep on powering through tactician since it's not possible to lower difficulty and I'm 10 horus in already, but I'm not thrilled with having to cheese every encounter by stacking the deck prefight and savescumming for perfect openers.

I'll also say flat stat boosts interact really badly with the armor system in this game. When enemies have huge armor values, having split sources of damage among your party is a big disadvantage because you can't focus down enemies if you have to go through both kinds of armor. I feel the game would be far easier if I just had 4 physical damage guys instead of my current 2 physical 2 magic split.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is there any point in trying to help Magister Siwan before the ship goes down? Do you need a special skill or something?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Ojetor posted:

Is that what it is? That explains a lot about my current game. That's pretty disappointing, to be honest. The awesome thing about tactician in DOS1 was that while enemies did get a slight stat bump, the true difficulty came from changed encounters by having additional skills on enemies, or more enemies, or stronger kinds of enemies. Just giving everything massive stat boots is a pretty awful way of increasing difficulty.

Probably gonna keep on powering through tactician since it's not possible to lower difficulty and I'm 10 horus in already, but I'm not thrilled with having to cheese every encounter by stacking the deck prefight and savescumming for perfect openers.

I'll also say flat stat boosts interact really badly with the armor system in this game. When enemies have huge armor values, having split sources of damage among your party is a big disadvantage because you can't focus down enemies if you have to go through both kinds of armor. I feel the game would be far easier if I just had 4 physical damage guys instead of my current 2 physical 2 magic split.

What do you mean? I lowered the difficulty early on to power through some bullshit, then raised it again

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

What do you mean? I lowered the difficulty early on to power through some bullshit, then raised it again

If you choose tactician or honour mode (ironman tactician) you can't change the difficulty. I think you can switch between the two others.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

PirateBob posted:

Is there any point in trying to help Magister Siwan before the ship goes down? Do you need a special skill or something?

Also on the subject, is it possible to save the dog?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

queeb posted:

Huntsman and summoning is so far the most successful build I have. You can focus on increasing finesse and ignoring int, go like 2 points in huntsman and then rush as much summoning points as you can.

It's the one build where you can dish ridiculous amounts of physical or magical damage with a ton of flexibility, while having your minions draw aggro and soaking damage for most of your party.

Being lizard helps a lot for the free fire surface skill.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

the teleport gloves let you access a bunch of neat secrets and chests throughout. there's a not hidden at all secret area by the first waypoint that has a guaranteed decent 1h sword too if that's your thing

there's a decent dagger in the dungeons in an office.

By "first waypoint," do you mean the one on the beach or the first one you find after that?

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

Agnostalgia posted:

Yeah two points in thievery on sebille was enough to steal 3 skill books from each merchant. Thats a lot of money saved.

Two points on one character good, four points on three characters better:

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
As a heads up, ran into a bug that made my Sebille unable to talk to people or enter combat. She is also bugged to have a permanent wet status. Both are reported by other people on the Larian forums earlier this year, so I was able to figure out what caused it.

In act 2, DO NOT talk to Nicholas, the guy having a picnic with his girlfriend a few steps north of the weapons vendor in the square.

I can't dismiss her, because I can't talk to her: the click and the right-click select talk do nothing. When the group goes into combat, she doesn't, and can run around and kill everything as if she was not in combat. The best part is that the enemies- voidwoken, demons, whatever- all have a standard progression of lines like "I'm warning you," "you're making me angry," ok I'm ready to fight," but they never do.

Went back to an old save but I guess it would make the game really easy if I didn't.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Everdraed posted:

Two points on one character good, four points on three characters better:

I guess you don't really need a barterer in this scenario, after all.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Agnostalgia posted:

Is Barter worth it at all? My bard lady starts with an irremovable point in it, but it looked so pathetic as to seem not worth pursuing--like, an item that costs 100 costs 96 instead. Would anybody recommend investing anything into Barter?

Same with Leader--the first level of it seems kind of underwhelming, does it get really worth it? Is the 5m radius usually plenty?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Is it possible to customize or create characters for the Arena mode or are you stuck with the templates?

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

Agnostalgia posted:

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is Barter worth it at all? My bard lady starts with an irremovable point in it, but it looked so pathetic as to seem not worth pursuing--like, an item that costs 100 costs 96 instead. Would anybody recommend investing anything into Barter?

Same with Leader--the first level of it seems kind of underwhelming, does it get really worth it? Is the 5m radius usually plenty?

I definitely have a maxed barter dude, a big thing to remember from the first game (and doesn't really have any references to it that I've seen in this one?) is that all characters have an attitude score that also affects their buy and sell prices. If you give them items (or just straight money) without asking for anything in return, their attitude will go up based on their specific ratio of 'gold I need for my attitude to go up 1'. I think Nabora is 1 to 1, so with Ifan at 4 barter and have given her 100 gp to get 100 attitude I have a 36% discount on items and 36% bonus on pawning them. Since merchants respawn their gold and inventory every level and hour of in-game time, you can pick one to sell all your junk to and get a real good return on investment.

And then, when it's time to move on and you've been sure to steal their personal inventory completely with three characters, you can just murder them and they'll drop all the items you've sold them, like a grotesquely-overstuffed loot pinata! This is called 'Video Gaming.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So I'm in the Hollow Marshes and I find Windigo. And then I killed her in a nothing fight. Felt really anticlimatic. Feel like I'm missing something here