Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Prince of Space posted:

Can someone voting 2B tell me how 2B is meant to protect the Ent?

I feel like the Faye would put it in captivity!

The Faye are the elves that got kicked out of elfland for being too elfy. They're pro-ecoterrorism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Grey Hunter posted:

The Faye.
The Faye, simply put, are bastards. No one know if they are a hyper evolved form of elf, elder gods or interdimensional monsters feeding on the misery of mortals - but whatever they are, they are very powerful, exist outside of the normal timestream and have a love/hate relationship with mortals.
Some were seemingly simple little creatures that love to play tricks on people, leading them off track, or leaving pots of cursed gold at the end of rainbows (then forgetting the word cursed in the legends.) others were immensely powerful beings that ruled in otherworldly courts and kidnapped people and replaced them with changelings.

Are you sure we wanna do dealings with these guys?

However we work it out, if we're going to give away the existence and location of Rootstock to the Faye we're going to want to end up with a boon or favor from the Faye at the very least, even if it's just a token of goodwill.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I say we should keep treeman under wraps until he's got an army. We don't know if the faye won't just decide to harvest him for wood. Also we kind of used them as a scapegoat once.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Sarga Entseed.

The first job was to plant the seeds. Sarga used a map to find the deepest jungles and forests in the world. She teleported to each of these locations and planted a single seed in the heart of the jungle.

She then marked the location and moved on to the next.  Soon she had planted twenty across the word.

The next task was to try and make a bow from the entwood. She set herself up in the lab with the precious wood. She bought some special tools and got to work.

It was a disaster. He had never worked with wood like this before, and it was unlike anything in existence. She either made no dent in it, or gouged huge chunks from it. In the end she gave up, the precious entwood in ruins. She put the remains into the vaut and tried to forget about the whole ordeal.

Next, Sarga headed to the Dark Isle. There was one group that she knew would be interested in protecting the Ents, but dealing with them would be, challenging.

The Faye had to their own area of the dark isle that most people tended to avoid it. There were no hard and fast rules about not hunting the other races, but it was a general rule that the isle was a peaceful place.

The Faye were the exception to that. They would steal and kill whoever they wanted. Most races responded with equal violence and then kept their distance.

Entering the Faye quarter, Sarga took four lefts, a right and an up before she ran into her first Faye, a woman making a weaved wooden doll, a slave standing nearby, face locked in terror, but body rock steady and complying to orders.

”I think your lost dear?” The woman didn't even look up. ”Some of my friends do like their calamari.”

”They might find me a little tough.” Sarga replied, gripping Bad Tidings a bit more firmly.

”Depends on how much tenderization you use dear.” Sarga was aware of eyes watching her from the shadows.

”Well, then you would be missing my proposition.”

”It must be a drat good one to risk you hide.”

”You could say that. I have the ent.” the silence around her deepend.

”You have an ent. No one has seen an ent in two thousand years or more. An ent now would be a drat fine thing, if we were to believe you.”

”Oh, you misheard me.” Sarga replied casually. ”I have the ent. Rootstock.” whispers exploded around her.

”Rootstock? The Entfather?”

”thats the one!”

”Take us to him! We must see him!”

”That would depend on what you can pay.” Sarga smiled a toothy smile.

How much do we gouge them?

A - 25,000

B- 50,000

C- 100,000

quote:

Mana = 50/450  

2 Manawells 1000/1000, 1000/1000

Gold = 63,380 (13,380 in the vault at the Sapphire Grotto)

Income per week - 750

Wages per week - 150

Net Per week - 600

Minions -

Seaglass, the Stingray Lieutenant.

Irwin the Stingray Lieutenant.

Asherah - the Hammerheaded “god”

Valen Haardckla, Supervizor.

Krull and Khrol, Seatrolls.

75 Beaverpeople. 10 beaverkids. (lead by Holta.)

19 Vampire Octasquids.

A selection of Bodkin Eels.

6 Mantis-pistol-shrimp man.

12 Crabbersons.

Mining rate - 750 gold a week.  (0 crates on hand)

Well defended entrance.

Spike traps, magical traps, blast doors, loop holes, teleportation zones and a bound sea elemental.

Living quarters - attuned to restore 4 mana a day.

Barracks for 50 people.

Large lab.

A library full or rare books.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

C

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Services are more valuable - what can they do for us?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Nephzinho posted:

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

We don’t need money. We need loyalty and debt.

A, but make sure to play up that that’s a fraction of what access to the ent is worth and that we’re spending a lot of time and resources protecting him, so really, them being able to see him is a favor we are doing and favors can’t be repaid with anything as common as currency. The 25k is just a token to make sure they’re taking this seriously.

Can we bring just the one Faye (the one we’re talking to) to see him first, just to prove we’re telling the truth without giving them all access?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Gaaaah we need to make sure we don't charge so much that they decide it's more expedient to just torture the information out of us.

I support A, bit without favors because having the Fey owe you a favor is about as bad as owing them one. No please.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

+1

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Nephzinho posted:

Is there a single entity most of the Faye defer to? Having that person in our debt would go a long way.

We don't necessarily even need to extract goods or services from them, just having that imbalance on the books could mean a lot for dealing with their type.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

+1 Favor

Also, since the wood is wrecked now let's hybridize some plant monsters from it.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I like how the vote ended up being to not tell anyone about the branch in order to keep it a secret, then go recruit an army by telling them about the living god it came from.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

B. 25k gold and an in for mutually beneficial trade of some kind.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
D: 55,555 gold, or (better yet) a Favor, to be called in later

They'll respect us more if we give them a wacky number or ask for nothing tangible in return.

Also, personally (magically) check on any of gold's authenticity when it is handed over, otherwise chances are good it'll turn into something like lead or dung or fried calamari within hours.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Dammit, you got me!

srusnak102
Apr 13, 2015
A. 25K.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Terrible CYOA idea. Railroading.

The viewpoint character has been chosen by the storyteller to fulfill a epic prophecy.
The viewpoint character wants nothing to do with this.

The game would be me trying to railroad the story while the players try to derail the plot at every turn.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Relentless posted:

Whoa. Bring it down a notch dude.

Trying to explain the mental hoops we could jump through to justify it, not disassemble the premise of the thread.
Oh I'm sure we'd win in a court of evil law, but the Entfather may react poorly to a casual "Oh yeah Sarga did a nice job on this volcano didn't she?"

A promise, a truth, and a favour,
A betrayal, a lie, and a labour,
Three of the six,
I make the picks,
The details are mine to choose later.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 2, 2018

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Splicer posted:

Oh I'm sure we'd win in a court of evil law, but the Entfather may react poorly to a casual "Oh yeah Sarga did a nice job on this volcano didn't she?"

Three of the six,
I make the picks,

This

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Splicer posted:

Three of the six,
I make the picks,

Now we're cookin'.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Nephzinho posted:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Splicer posted:

Three of the six,
I make the picks,

Switching to This

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Either splicer or 'What do you think it's worth?'

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Plan Splicer

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Plan Splicer seems pretty great.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The old con.

Sarga had prepared for this. She had done her research, and hoped to the gods she had this right. She began the chant.

”A promise, a truth, and a favour,
Three of the six,
I make the picks,
The details are mine to choose later.”

The Faye laughed. The sound filled her with an uneasy mixture of joy and terror.

”nicely put.” she said. ”It's rare to find one who takes the time to try and fix all the loopholes in their requests. We're still going to try and gently caress you of course, but at least there will be something of a game to it!

”I would expect nothing less from the Faye, we all have our reputations to maintain.”

”Well, we all can't start world-wide strife with volcanoes, can we.” it looks like her reputation did proceed her.

”No, neither can we all have reputations for child snatching, treachery and general mayhem.”

”Some things take time to cultivate. You have the basis of a deal. I  am known in your tongue as Dralina'keh'vontuna. My name shall open doors for you. I shall hold all Faye to our deal.”

”Fair enough Dralina'keh'vontuna. I shall lead you to Rootstock.”[B]

The delegation of Faye she lead through the streets of the dark isle was. Strange one. Decked out in a mix of fine clothing, rags and (she hoped.) Animal skins. to Faye drew many looks as they made their way to the teleportation rings.

As they arrived at the foot of the Eel Volcano, Sarga noticed the difference already. A green carpet was forcing its way through the ash,and life was returning to the area.

As they approached the tree, the Faye were subdued for the first time since she had met them, and they sank to their knees as the great tree turned to look at them.

Sarga left to them to their god. There was little to she could do for now, so it was time to do other work.

Well, that was fairly quick with some major ramifications!

[B]

Why should we do now?

A - personal work/quest.

B - go to the no jobs board.

quote:

Mana = 50/450  

2 Manawells 1000/1000, 1000/1000

Gold = 63,380 (13,380 in the vault at the Sapphire Grotto)

Income per week - 750

Wages per week - 150

Net Per week - 600

Minions -

Seaglass, the Stingray Lieutenant.

Irwin the Stingray Lieutenant.

Asherah - the Hammerheaded “god”

Valen Haardckla, Supervizor.

Krull and Khrol, Seatrolls.

75 Beaverpeople. 10 beaverkids. (lead by Holta.)

19 Vampire Octasquids.

A selection of Bodkin Eels.

6 Mantis-pistol-shrimp man.

12 Crabbersons.

Mining rate - 750 gold a week.  (0 crates on hand)

Well defended entrance.

Spike traps, magical traps, blast doors, loop holes, teleportation zones and a bound sea elemental.

Living quarters - attuned to restore 4 mana a day.

Barracks for 50 people.

Large lab.

A library full or rare books.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
A. It’s time to get our groove back.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
B. Wanna give a bunch of Hero trainees PTSD.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Let's go to the job board for now.

Let's also look at the ruined entwood and see about repurposing the biomatter into ent monsters (i dunno, driftwood poo poo like that seaweed steering wheel pokemon) or just taking the wood and making baller arrows.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

RickVoid posted:

B. Wanna give a bunch of Hero trainees PTSD.

Did we ever look at the Secret Jobs board? I wanna see if there's anything there before we default to Trainee Dungeon.

Which, while fun, is mostly going to be an exercise in restraint at this point.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Use the wood to develop anti entwood doomsday device.

"Here's my three demands, if you gently caress with me or pervert them or just piss me off me be warned. If I don't complete a counterspell every three days every ent on the face of the earth will rot. We cool?"

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

A Turn the volcano into an island
Way easier to defend imo, while it might cool the chance of war somewhat, this still leaves Rootstock on a strategically important island controlling a major sealane, an important position if there ever was one.
Also: since the volcano is part of the land bridge, there would be fighting directly where Rootstock is planted if we do nothing, so we might want to avoid that.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

sheep-dodger posted:

Way easier to defend imo, while it might cool the chance of war somewhat, this still leaves Rootstock on a strategically important island controlling a major sealane, an important position if there ever was one.
Also: since the volcano is part of the land bridge, there would be fighting directly where Rootstock is planted if we do nothing, so we might want to avoid that.

Nah, we're not going to go back and undo our biggest accomplishment, and draw a ton of attnetion to an island we were just tasked with protecting.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Nephzinho posted:

Nah, we're not going to go back and undo our biggest accomplishment, and draw a ton of attnetion to an island we were just tasked with protecting.

That landbridge is going to get a lot of attention as nations fight over it though, and guess what's smack dab in the middle of it.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

A. Down time. Invite our most senior minions to a nice session with whatever is the evil equivalent of a luxury spa.

Afterward we teleport in some high end take out and liquor to enjoy in the new game room we had installed as a surprise.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Start bioengineering a pod of Man-atees to act as livestock for our Vampire Octasquids so we don't lose more Beaverpersons to inter-minion strife.

e: Either that, or look on the boards for a dungeon opening where Vampire Octasquids can be put to good use.

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 3, 2018

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

I imagine the Faye will take steps to protect Rootstock- probably by time/space folding the area he’s in around itself or something

In any case, protecting their god is their problem, not ours

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

sheep-dodger posted:

It had a giant volcano DMZ on it before; add the ent and the faye and it's a double-DMZ amped up on blow and jungle juice. No one's going to be fighting over it now.

Oh, actual vote, right:

Blasphemaster posted:

A. Down time. Invite our most senior minions to a nice session with whatever is the evil equivalent of a luxury spa.

Afterward we teleport in some high end take out and liquor to enjoy in the new game room we had installed as a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Blasphemaster posted:

This is good, but I do want to take that training dungeon job. It sounds fun, and a great way to prototype new monsters.