Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Really Pants posted:

Do you intend to clean up the whole square? It might take a few hours.

Hrm. Well, I guess at least see how hard it'll be to clean and how TO clean it so we can move on and leave it to someone else.

EDIT: And to take a bit in a vial or something for THE LABS hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
I'd settle for just grabbing what we can of DRED and then getting the Sechims back to HQ, then we can figure out what we need to do and if we need other materials to do it. Only leave it to the NPCs if we can find people who won't die from it.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I might be a little quiet for a while, there was a serious accident at work, and people are trying to figure out what's going on. Meanwhile, F.R.E.D. will want to study DRED's parts and stuff to figure out if he's new or not, or one of the older builds. F.R.E.D. is in favor of sticking around to make sure the area is cleaned up.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Does Haldain/Cha want to try seeing what's up with this one and maybe talking him down, or should Takara grab him and drag him away?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Good work Spirit Therapist.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
So, what do we know?

Well, there's conspiracy afoot.

Our point of contact for this conspiracy is the Ragman, the code-name of a shadowy creature and general boogeyman of the city. Exactly how much of the attributed misdeeds is stuff he did and how much is either rumor or just people blaming the wrong guy remains to be seen, but he's been a busy little murderer the past few days. He showed up at the Danoran consulate and murdered worker activist and fey affiliate Nilasa Hume in order to protect Consular Methan duNadria's secret.

So, what's the secret? Well, duNadria has been buying up factories destroyed by the arsonists, and also was suppressing the investigation of Colonel Julian LeBrix, a consulate guard who was investigating reports of thefts from various Danoran factories in Flint and noticed that factory materials were vanishing from sealed crates between the loading and unloading of the barges. He suspects they're somehow being transported into the Bleak Gate. Further investigation reveals that duNadria was apparently coerced into doing this by the Ragman, after a series of literal fire sales brought the Ragman's attention and ended with the Ragman telling duNadria what to acquire and the consular either buying people out or burning them out after calling in the arsonist brothers (two dragonborn from Ber named Eberado and Valando).

LeBrix also discovered that the factories are being used to store lympha so that they can harvest the souls of workers who die in accidents and use them as fuel. Why would you do that? Well, not only does it prove you're a total rear end in a top hat, but lympha provides magical power even in magical dead zones like Danor.

Whatever they're building, it's on the scale of the Coaltongue so questions of logistics. Where are they building it, and how do they plan on running it? Well, given that this conspiracy has a habit of jumping out of Bleak Gate portals, using weird witch poo poo from the Bleak Gate and stealing stuff through the Bleak Gate, they're probably still in there. They want to kill Nevard for trespassing on an operations site, so that probably narrows down the locations a bit. Similarly, given their fondness for weird things that run on lympha, using it to power their secret project wouldn't be out of place, though they would need lots of it from somewhere. But even if it is in the Bleak Gate, where exactly would they park a construction site and how would they get the finished project back out?

(I'm still confused as to if we ever actually entered the Bleak Gate. Nevard said he had a ritual that would shift us in instead of waiting for nightfall, but we might have waited for nightfall in the real world.)

(also: apparently Cauldron Hill was magically shaped/created by the witches, which partly explains all the tunnels inside the hill)

So, what are they going to do with it? No idea! Depends on what they're building. duNadria believed it to be some sort of war machine, which would explain the secrecy, but who exactly would it be used on? The Ragman claimed to be working for Risur, but Delft believes that the king wouldn't go for black projects, especially of the soul-burning sort. And I'm still trying to figure out what exactly it could do. Another Coaltongue would be a pretty underwhelming result since Risur's already got one (and it's quite nice). Having two of them would allow Risur to kick even more Danoran tail than usual, especially if one could sail up to the captial in the dead magic areas and just go to town, but it wouldn't do much against any more land-bound opposition.

So, what do they want? Well, the Ragman claimed that they're working for the security of Risur, Leone was all about disregarding established authority or something, and the soul of one of their black ops agents thinks that they're all about revolution and/or "the greater good". While not a confirmed member, we did have a conversation with a certain mysterious cigarette smoking man who was wondering what we'd do if we had the power to impose true order without resistance. Since this is a conspiracy, the odds of one or more of these people being duped by someone operating behind them is pretty good, but still I'm wondering where one secret construction project fits into this. You can't achieve true peace without resistance just by slapping enough guns together, so there's got to be more to it (let's face it, it probably involves lots of magic).

So who all is involved in this? Again, our point of entry starts with the Ragman who was operating under the identity of Roger Beckard, a nonexistant Flint constable. The Ragman was accompanied by some sort of black ops squad who were also intent on helping him recover the documents and Dr. von Recklinghausen. The Ragman was presumably slain when Bran put a Vendetta Bullet through his undead (?) heart (??), and the ops squad all died of poison before we could interrogate them. They were later reinforced by more goons along with Leone Quital, a violently domineering guy with some sort of mastery of magnetism ability and a disdain for authority figures great enough that he gave zero shits about giving us his real name. He might also be capable of helping them build things with his metal-shaping powers.

Before he died, the Ragman strongly insinuated that the conspiracy had enough enough pull in Risur that it could bury our investigation through our superiors. Later we discovered that Nettles Mayor Reed MacBannin, noted expert on weird witch stuff, erased our memories earlier and his butler Cillian Creed offered to dispose of us, but was denied. Cillian Creed also mysteriously vanished as we were closing in on the mayor, who attempted to blame Creed for everything before vanishing as well along with everyone in his house. When we tracked down the arsonist brothers Eberado and Valando, we discovered that they were about to burn Thames Grisley and John Dafton, apparently after they went to the office of Parity Lake Mayor Rosa Gohins, who was using forces provided by rich industrialist rear end in a top hat Guy Goodson. Goodson's forces have all mysteriously pulled out of the city and he seems to be holing up out on his private island in the Ayres. Mayor Gohins might also have disappeared at the same time.

We've also got an unknown player in the game in the form of Morgan Cippiano, who is likely a local member of the Family criminal syndicate building up power here in Flint. His associates helped out with the factory problems because they're a classier bunch of murderers than our own local homicidal tyrant, Lorcan Kell, who seems busy expanding his business out of Parity Lake with expeditions into the Nettles and the Cloudwood. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of these groups is being used by conspiracy somehow (though the Ragman carved his way through Kell's forces in order to get to Wolfgang). Some of the guys who were probably connected to the arsonists seemed fond of shakedown tactics.

So, immediate problems:
-Check out that warehouse Haldain saw in a vision
-Figure out what to do about Goodson and the wayward mayors
-Still need to get more lympha out of factories. If you want to do any gear swapping to deal with hazardous materials, now is a good time to do it
-Maybe see if our arsonists know anything (I'm curious about the minions: are they also from Ber like the brothers, or are they more local elements?)
-Figure out who the helpful sniper was and maybe see if we can rescue him from the black ops guys

Less immediate problems:
-Find out more about this conspiracy (who's involved, what they're building, how they're building it, why they're building it, what they're going to do with it)
-Figure out how they get stuff into the Bleak Gate (the rusty rings are a good start, but we could use more specifics, and try to figure out where the cargo is being pulled from the ship)
-Fill in the blank: Build big thing -> ???? -> True order.

Also, we have several visions from the greatest skyseer around. As fantasy prophecies, they are both inevitably true and cryptic to the point that they normally only make sense in hindsight. Study them, and theorize.

Nevard's most recent batch of visions:

Really Pants posted:

"In my latest visions, I have witnessed a dark figure, standing atop Cauldron Hill, towering over our city. As the sun set, he cast a shadow over Parity Lake, stretching northwest into the sea, beyond the horizon. This man is born in our city, but his goal lies elsewhere. Things moved in the dark of his shadow--indeed, his shadow moved before he did, for he was controlled by others."

"He was made mighty by industry, and the smokes of industry concealed his face. A king chased him out to sea and defeated him by slicing him free from his shadow, but the cauldron had already been shattered, and many thousands were drowned and devoured in its roil."

"Three birds alighted on the shattered peak: the first made of black silk, the second of black steel, both weeping blood. But the third was made of stars, and it sang many songs."

"I tell you this: Cauldron Hill and Parity Lake are not safe. Twice more will evil arise, and twice will we be deceived into thinking it is safe to return, but we must avoid those places and avoid being tricked. Follow me and my acolytes into the Cloudwood. I have arranged shelter there, where people can be safe until the darkness has passed."

[...]

"I saw quite a bit more up the Hill...but I'm not sure yet what it all means."

"There was a woman on a leather couch in a waiting room, with red curtains all round. She was rolling a gold coin across the back of her fingers. There was a pick laying against the side of the couch. I asked her what she was waiting for, and she spoke a language I've never heard before, but I knew she was saying, 'The place I'm going isn't here yet.'"

"There was a trumpeter, carrying a lantern onto the stage of a darkened theater. The audience applauded and lit lanterns of their own. The light was never bright enough for me to see their faces."

"There was a man who tore himself in two, and the two fought over a woman, tearing her into three, who ran away. Mice skittered around them, collecting crumbs fallen in the rails of a trainyard. A train roared down the track past me, with no one driving it. In the distance it derailed and two of the women were crushed."

"There was a man with a bronze staff, with three keyholes in it. He was assailed by swords and arrows and fire, but nothing killed him. He took off his robes and he was covered in a tiger's fur. The stars were falling out of the sky all around him until all was darkness. In the east, a pale glowing cloud floated where the sun should have risen."

"There was a tyrant and a murderer, languishing in prison, hanging from twelve hooks that pierced her limbs. There was a thirteenth hook that had pierced her lips, but it hung loose. She whispered a map to everywhere."

And the one that he had a year ago that spooked the duchess into trying to destroy the Coaltongue and take over Axis Island.

Really Pants posted:

"When I first learned that Aodhan intended to make peace with Danor and embrace their ways fully, I began to worry. I pleaded with him to remember all that Danor has taken from us, to heed the innocents that the machine of industry grinds down in its gears, but he would not listen. I sought advice from my diplomatic counterpart, Asrabey, and was told merely that if the Crown allied with Danor, the Unseen Court would view us as enemies."

"In my straits, I traveled to Flint and consulted one of the last great skyseers. He had a vision of a globe spinning on its axis, and a ship of steel with sails of shadow setting out to war. He saw the world falling into darkness as all the stars fell from the sky. He saw my brother's eyes turn dead white, and he moved as a puppet, under the direction of something that has died a thousand deaths."

"This was a year ago, perhaps. Not long after, by chance, I was contacted by Nathan, who voiced concerns about arcane research and military buildup here on Axis Island. I recalled the axis of the skyseer's vision. Then Aodhan told me of his marvelous steel warship, the Coaltongue. Step by step, it seemed, the vision was coming true, which meant my brother was destined for a horrific fate."

Have any ideas or questions? Notice any threads? Speak up and let's get the ball rolling!

Remember, it's not paranoia if they really are out to get you! :tinfoil:

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I'm still here. I've got a funeral to go to, and then I'll start posting more frequently.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

The only thing that I can suss out of all that prophecy is that

quote:

"There was a man who tore himself in two, and the two fought over a woman, tearing her into three, who ran away. Mice skittered around them, collecting crumbs fallen in the rails of a trainyard. A train roared down the track past me, with no one driving it. In the distance it derailed and two of the women were crushed."

Seems like a reference to what went down in Elfaivir with the tripartite goddess. That doesn't really help us any, though.

I'm down to just continue to the warehouse.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Looks like the battle that killed Srasama itself took place outside of Alais Primos in Crysillyir, though the fallout turned the old Clergy capital of Methia into a dead magic zone even though it was about a thousand miles away over in Danor?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Based on what Haldain saw while speaking with the dead agent, you know that the warehouse must be somewhere in north Pine Island. How do you want to narrow down your search?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
-Look at a map of the city, put some markers on the governor's palace and Cauldron Hill, try to line it up as well as the vision showed.
-Check and see if there are any of the warehouses that duNadria acquired are in the area.
-Check with the dockers/contacts/rumors if there's any warehouse in the area that is unused/avoided/gives off bad vibes
-Once we get close, have Haldain listen for the screams of souls in lympha or possibly check for any magical signature

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Oh yeah, before we leave Takara will head down to the quartermaster and trade in her Screaming Hide Armor +1 for Hide Armor of Necrotic Resistance +1. Both are level 2 and the resistance armor is common, so I don't think it should be a problem.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

What, if anything, should I roll to try to remember the alignment?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Intelligence check? Alternatively something like History/Streetwise/Nature for mapping stuff?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Sorry I've been such a noshow. I'd love to give an elegant answer or big dramatic reveal on my life or w/e but the actual reason is just "Undertale"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Edited for Rakshasa goodness; I assumed that's what it was, but didn't want to say without confirmation haha.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Undertale is pretty good

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Agreed.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Ok, information gathering time.

Things that we can probably attempt to find out:

-General layout of the building: Probably Perception, maybe also Dungeoneering or History or something?
-State of the guards: Insight to get a general feel for them, plus maybe also Nature or whatever the knowledge check is to figure out their capabilities (probably similar to what we fought with King, but you never know). If they're still of the brainwashed type then talking our way past them gets more interesting. Maybe see if we can detect any patrol patterns.
-General Arcana check to figure out what's going on here, maybe see if we detect lympha
-Try to stick Bran's senses through a window or something, maybe see if we can get him on the roof?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Ok, getting a better picture here. Circle of Rusted Iron means there's still a way for stuff to get in or out of the Gate. Potential hostages complicate things. Could still use a Nature check to figure out how dangerous the guards are, plus maybe an arcana check to see what we're missing, like if there are any magical traps/wards/alarms. Maybe also have Bran stick his magic eye down below and take a look around corners/listen to the researchers.

Potential idea might be to have Cha, Fred, Keegan and Haldain show up at the front door to talk and distract while Bran set up shop on the roof while Takara moves to deal with the hostages. Do we have legal cause to start arresting dudes or are we just being loose cannons?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Well, that looks pretty nasty. Also raises some interesting questions. We should probably try to get the rest of you around the back here so you're closer to the action, because I really don't want to go several rounds with Goodson Jr.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Well, with that last curse doing half your HP in damage if you take a standard action, I'm pretty sure you literally can't fight him alone. Curse of the Master's Scorn is pretty much the only ability that doesn't seem to completely shut down a character.

Does taking down Goodson Jr end a curse?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ending the encounter ends a curse.

Derek does have to hit someone in melee, and then let them attack him, before he can ruin their day. Maybe we'll see how that goes.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 29, 2015

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Anyone seen whoda thunkit? He hasn't posted in a few weeks.

So, trying to figure out how to get everyone else onto the roof.

FRED's amulet has two turns worth of flight on it as a daily, so that's an option (don't know if he can carry anyone while flying though), as is teleportation via Haldain's Fey Step or Cha's Docker's Jank (though that swaps places with an ally). Takara could also drop a rope down and haul someone up. Could also try to get to the roof of the adjacent building and maybe cross over from there or maybe trying to quietly KO the guards in the back.

We're not the stealthiest of parties though, so maybe a distraction would work, like having FRED use Object Projection to teleport a rock or piece of scrap metal 50 feet up and away and let it fall/bounce its way down to make some noise. Keegan has a free use of Animal Messenger, though it would require finding a rat or something and waiting 10 minutes to use the ritual, but it could be used to at least confuse the guards or Derek Goodson, but that might put them on alert.

Alternatively we can have one or more people go up to the back door and try to talk into the building, but that reduces our ability to ambush and also puts you within range of being hex-slapped.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

whoda thunkit please give us a sign

Carrying is an option, but F.R.E.D.'s Strength is low. He would fly pretty slowly while holding someone else.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 30, 2015

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I could let someone stronger borrow my amulet~

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Yeah, he could project the amulet over to Takara and then she could fly down, grab a dude and return. If FRED also teleported up some sort of pulley then she might be able to pull a dude up while flying down, thus transporting all four agents in two turns.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Cha awkwardly can't really add much if anything to this current situation, at least until she gets up there to join you, and...yeah, she's not real good at that part, hahaha

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
I wonder if we could draw Gale's attention somehow. At one point we were supposed to get this necklace to Nevard in order to get it to her, but that didn't happen.

Are there any patrol ships out in the water?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You can see a couple Navy cutters but they're pretty far off, closer to Central and Bosum Strand.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Ok, if we're doing the half-orc super pulley then we need to do a few things:

Phase 1- Set-up: FRED sends the amulet up to Takara along with some sort of pulley thing, Takara puts on the amulet and sets up the rope
Phase 2- Distraction: Do something that gets the guards investigating the other side of the building for 15 seconds, but isn't bad enough to put the place on full alert
Phase 3- Showtime. Someone grabs one end of the rope, Takara flies down and pulls them up in the process. She then flies back up with another person, and the rope is sent down again. Repeat for a second round and everyone should be on the roof.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Do you have pulley things?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
I assume FRED could make one with his mental tools thing, unless that's too complicated. Takara also has a climbing kit, so there might be some parts that she can use in there.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

That should be okay.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
All of F.R.E.D.'s silly gimmicks are coming into play!

Bran, if you borrow F.R.E.D.'s hedge wizard's gloves, you can use Mage Hand to make a distraction, too. With a decent stealth check.

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

I'm totally up for magical flailing with comically oversized robo-gloves

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Alright, then we just need FRED to start us out with the creation and distribution of the tools.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
If it matters, I assume the order was to send FRED up first as Takara descended because he's the heaviest, then bring up Cha, then Haldain and Keegan the next round. She might be able to bring up a child at the same time as Keegan since they're light, but I'm assuming the kid will get into trouble later on at the worst possible time. Of course, if we don't bring the kid up then the kid will still get in trouble at the worst possible time later on.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It seems like whoda thunkit has lost interest; I'll NPC Keegan in this encounter, and put out the call for a replacement.

Really Pants posted:

--Start at 4th level, with 5,475 gold.
--The current party is very well-balanced in terms of roles, skills, and stats, but I think they'd like to have some extra healing, so keep that in mind.
--Refer to the Zeitgeist Player's Guide, available for free here, for details on the setting and new character options. Please try to avoid completely spoiling the overall plot for yourself with the Campaign Guide and first adventure, also available for free elsewhere.
--Tieflings, Devas, and Eladrin are all significantly changed from the PHB default. A lot of the other races aren't mentioned at all. Get as inventive as you wish for those. The world map includes a lot of blank-slate "Border States" areas for anyone who wants to make places up.
--Turn on Inherent Bonuses.
--As per the Player's Guide, all PCs get Primordial as a bonus language.
--Take 3 extra feats. New players should choose Improved Defenses, the Essentials Expertise feat for your character's weapon or implement, and Melee Training if your character is mostly melee but lacks a strong melee basic attack.
--No dragonmarks.
--Your character theme must be one of the new Zeitgeist themes. Don't worry, they are pretty sweet. Make sure to list your theme in your submission post.
--Backgrounds are fine, even the HORRIBLY BROKEN AND OP Scales of War ones that give you a whole 4 extra HP.
--When it comes to compensation, the RHC is more organized, and more prosaic, then your typical mob of freelance murderhobos. Instead of loot, Royal Constables are granted regular requisition stipends for all mundane or magical equipment. Common, Uncommon, and Rare items are freely available. Any gear you requisition may be returned at a later date for a refund of its full value. If you come across useful items in the field, you are free to make use of them, but at the date of your next report they must either be turned in to your Inspector or purchased with funds from your stipend. This cost does not apply to freely given gifts.
--Royal Constables also have serious clout in the community. The Prestige system, detailed on pages 18-20 of the Player's Guide, has rules for calling in favors with local figures to arrange things like City Watch backup, ritual casting, emergency requisitions, shady deeds, etc.
--Post your character sheet on Orokos and link it here.
--Please be able to post frequently, even if it's just "Busy having a life right now, will pretend to be elves later."

I'll keep recruiting open until this next encounter is finished.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Been wanting to get back into D&D. Lemme do the requisite reading and I might get back to you tomorrowbouts.

• Locked thread