Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I didn't hear it in the first trailer and I still don't hear it in this one. You guys may be crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Someone else heard it and I just repeated it because I find it hilarious.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

In case is trying to to catch up with that wackiness, Captain Invincible is a recovering alcoholic and Mr. Midnight's scheme is to ethnically cleanse New York (hence the theme to the puns at the start of it).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I remember some parody of this scene where the Bond stand-in's territories were linked to remote bombs strapped to orphans in capital cities, and if he lost them they'd go off, but I'm COMPLETELY failing at Googling it. Does this sound familiar to anyone or was it some fever dream?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

computer parts posted:

It helps if you think of the remake as a Deux Ex: HR movie (which itself did borrow from Robocop) because that's basically what it was.

If Padihla had had complete control, we could have got something amazing. Even in its current form, it's still interesting. The remake and the original are both looks at the American police from the perspective of a foreigner. The difference is that Verhoven chose to fetishise it, while Padihla found it terrifying.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Verheoven didn't fetishize the cops- he used them as an allegory for the working class. Robocop, for all the obvious factors, is remarkably separated from issues relating to actual cops.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Verheoven didn't fetishize the cops- he used them as an allegory for the working class. Robocop, for all the obvious factors, is remarkably separated from issues relating to actual cops.

That's less true as time goes by, though, given that we've already privatized a not-insignificant chunk of the prison system in the United States and there are already people making noise about doing the same for law enforcement (and, poo poo, bounty hunters are legal in most of the country).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
But I mean, that's kinda it. Police militarization is briefly addressed, but put forth as an utterly absurd idea that fails immediately (the suit getting mulched by ED-209). And the privatization isn't really addressed in any depth- it's just used as an allegory for Reagan-era corporate greed, with the real-world effects of privatizing those specific things going entirely ignored.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Robocop is the best movie ever, because it became reality.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Robocop was already reality when it was first released.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, yeah. It was Verheoven saying "we need to stop being stupid loving Reaganites or bad poo poo will happen" and we didn't stop being stupid loving Reaganites, so bad poo poo happened.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Robocop is the idealised American action hero cop. He's pretty much bulletproof (or near enough as makes no difference) drops one liners and has a gigantic gun. The difference between the two films is that Verhoven shoots him as a hero, as jesus, basically, Padihla shoots him like a horror movie villain designed by Apple.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Well, yeah, but it's using that imagery to make a separate point rather than analyzing that imagery. Which is why I said for all the obvious factors, like what you said, it's remarkably divorced from issues relating to real cops.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Snowman_McK posted:

Robocop is the idealised American action hero cop. He's pretty much bulletproof (or near enough as makes no difference) drops one liners and has a gigantic gun. The difference between the two films is that Verhoven shoots him as a hero, as jesus, basically, Padihla shoots him like a horror movie villain designed by Apple.

Robocop has plot armor. It fails a few times but for specific reasons.

None of this relates to Bond though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm perfectly willing to take it to a Robocop thread or a police on film thread if someone wants to make one, I just think it's an interesting discussion. :shobon:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Eh, it's not like I'm posting about Bond at the moment. Might be next week before I can post my next write-up.

As a preview, I'll say this: Dammit I wish this movie starred Timothy Dalton.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
No Ginger Bond, no way, random pretend-news. :colbert: Craig was crossing the line far enough.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

For anyone wondering what that post was about...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/uk-bookies-slash-odds-damian-802726

I've only seen him in Band of Brothers and Life, playing Americans in both, so I have no idea if he can pull off suave yet tough Brit, but he's a good actor and handsome so I don't really care if he's a ginger.

That being said, it's hardly a credible rumor.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
He's almost the same age as Roger Moore was in Live and Let Die and Craig still has at least one other film left. After seeing how ancient Moore looks FYEO and beyond, I'm a little uneasy about someone that old being cast.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I think he'd be a great Bond but like Andorra said he's too old. It's the Idris Elba conundrum.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Damian Lewis could definitely pull off being bond. The man is an ace actor. Life alone shows this.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
And Henry VIII in Wolf Hall.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

A View to a Kill

I can’t tell you how upset I am that this movie doesn’t star Timothy Dalton.

That single thing, replacing Moore one movie earlier, could have made this a straight up good movie, though with faults. (Well, replacing a certain actress would help, too, but more on that later.) Because holy poo poo do I love so many things about this movie. Walken, Grace Jones, the stunts, the ludicrous plot, the music...my god the music…this movie should have been a slam dunk, welcoming in a new Bond to a new type of Bond movie, that was both a bit darker yet just as over the top as ever. Dammit, I wish this movie starred Timothy Dalton.

Because hanging onto Roger Moore for this last entry is just a bridge too far. He’s far too old, and the movie in no way acknowledges this. Did they write the script intending to introduce a younger Bond, only to later just cast Moore anyway? Wikipedia certainly doesn’t say anything like this. But it’s the only way I can have this movie make sense.

Now let me be clear, Roger Moore isn’t the only problem this movie has. It is riddled with problems. Tanya Roberts is terrible. One of my least favorite Bond girls. I’m still not 100% sure I understand every part of Zorin’s plan. And the middle section is quite boring. But the action set pieces, villains, and music deserve a better movie, and a better Bond.

I like Roger Moore as Bond. He had a run of movies that I’m probably about 50% on, but even in bad movies he was still good. However the 2 years that passed between Octopussy and this appear to have not been all that kind to him. He’s too old for this movie (a fact he, himself, admits). It’s just infuriating. He seems somehow much older than the 57 he actually was.

We open with Bond in Siberia, searching for the body of 003, who was in possession of a microchip originating in the Soviet Union. He finds the body dead in the snow just as he is attacked by Soviet Soldiers. Making his escape on a snow speeder, I’m on board for this scene at the start. But then the snow speeder is destroyed and Bond has to find a new way to escape. So he grabs one of the skis off of the snowspeeder, and basically invents snowboarding (I’m guessing). And even this wouldn’t be too bad, but the music suddenly shifts, and I’m now listening to a terrible cover of California Girls. It’s one of the worst music cues I’ve ever seen in my life. It in no way fits the scene, it’s the one of the worst covers I’ve heard, and completely takes me out of the movie. It may replace exploding head or pigeon double take as the most embarrassing thing I’ve ever seen in a Bond movie. It’s, like, really bad, guys.

Anyway, he shoots a flare gun into a helicopter, taking it down, which is pretty cool, but I was in a serious, “gently caress you movie” mood after that Beach Boys thing, so I don’t really care. He’s rescued by a submarine shaped like an iceberg (complete with Union Jack under the port hole), and escapes with a hot blonde female agent. This woman must be at least 30 years his junior, but that of course doesn’t stop them from dining on a massive container of beluga caviar and sleeping together for the five day back from Siberia. It’s the first, “You’re too old for this,” moment of the movie.

But I don’t care anymore, because the opening credits song comes on. And it has been way too long since I’ve liked a Bond theme song, but the wait is finally over. Best Bond song? Possibly, I’m going to have to give Goldeneye another listen. I full on love this song, which is A View to a Kill by Duran Duran. It’s apparently the only Bond song to ever reach #1 on the charts, and it’s with good reason. It’s amazing, and the opening credits themselves are 80’s as all hell, all neon and dancing girls, and I love it. Seriously, this is amazing, look it up on YouTube if you haven’t seen it. God, it’s so good.

Also, as a quick note about the overall music in this movie, it’s one of the best I’ve heard from this series in a while. It uses the theme of the title song to great effect. Really impressive.

Anyway, Bond arrives back at MI-6 headquarters, and we have the only age appropriate interaction he gets the whole movie. It’s the standard flirting with Moneypenny, but I wanted to mention it because this is the last movie with Lois Maxwell as Moneypenny, who has been in the series since the very beginning, and i’m going to miss her. Inside M’s office, Q is playing with some new robot dog. Which I mention quickly because the movie moves on too, but in a way that’s clear we’ll see it again later. It’s pointless, for the most part. Q is also showing off a new microchip that is impervious to EMPs (like a nuclear explosion let’s out), and we’re told the chip 003 was smuggling out of Russia was an exact match. Which means the Russians must have an in with the company making them.

Bond is tasked with investigated the head of the company, a man named Max Zorin, played by Christopher Walken, which he first does at a horse race. I have no idea how I lived my life without having seen Walken play a Bond villain, but luckily I no longer need to. He’s a maniac in this movie. I’m jumping ahead here, but Zorin is also a secret KGB agent, that I think was experimented on using secret Nazi steroids? I get a little lost there, but the point is he’s insane, barely on edge of his lunacy, and could kill you at the drop of a hat. Which means Walken was perfect casting (even if the part was written for Sting, and they went to David Bowie first). Working alongside Zorin is his assistant May Day, played by Grace Jones, and holy poo poo I love her in this, too. I’m just gushing over the movie at this point, because the music and villain casting has me over the moon so far. May Day is another lunatic, who I’m even more sure was experimented on with Nazi steroids, as she’s insanely strong. She’s tough, crazy, and a lot of fun to watch. Well done, movie.

And then the movie starts to lose me for a while. Bond meets with a French private detective named Aubergine in a restaurant inside the Eiffel Tower (which I’m pretty sure doesn’t exist) and they watch an insanely silly looking butterfly dance. Fake butterflies, mind you, because a man in black is controlling them via a fishing line. During the show a mysterious figure in black attacks this tech and takes his place (it’s clearly May Day). She then uses a butterfly loaded with a blade to kill Aubergine and takes off. Bond chases her up the Eiffel Tower (where, mind you, she sees Bond several times. I’ll bring this up again later), only to have her jump off the tower and parachute away.

Bond (or should I say Moore’s stunt double) jumps on an elevator to ride down to ground level and steals a taxi to chase after her, watching her descend slowly above him. This chase is actually kind of fun, because Bond’s car is getting slammed by so many things it’s literally falling apart as he drives it. First the roof comes off, then the entire back of the car. Sure, it wouldn’t drive anymore, but who cares? Watching him roll up in just the front half of the car is exactly the kind of crazy poo poo I want happening in these movies. May Day lands in a small boat being driven by Zorin himself (which is a terrible plan, I mean hide yourself!) and they get away. Bond crashes into a wedding on a barge and is arrested (which pisses M off). And all Bond learned is that Zorin is holding a horse auction, which he manages to get an invite to, under the assumed name of James St. John Smith (which is not pronounced even remotely like that, by the way).

That's supposed to be Bond. Yeah...

And this is where the movie dips into the incredibly boring, so I may breeze over a good deal of it. Most of the time Bond is at Zorin’s horse auction could be completely cut out of the movie while barely affecting the movie. He has with him a partner named Sir Godfrey Tibbit, played by Patrick Macnee, and who poses as Bond’s man servant. I’ve never seen a more obvious dead man walking outside of Star Trek. He also meets another assistant of Zorin’s named Jenny Flex, played by Alison Doody of Last Crusade fame.

At a garden party, Bond meets one of the more Bond villain looking men I’ve ever seen. Named Dr. Carl Mortner, he is an old German doctor with a monocle. He was bound to be evil. He claims to be Zorin’s horse breeding consultant. But, I mean, clearly he’s working on humans. Like I said, old German scientist with a monocle. Here we also have Bond meet Zorin for the first time, and Bond isn’t even really hiding that he’s knows Zorin is responsible for the death at the Eiffel Tower. He’s kind of an awful spy. It also becomes clear that Zorin has plenty of American oil men at the party.

Bond also meets a woman, played by the terrible Tawny Roberts, who rebuffs his advances, and let me tell you this confuses the hell out of him. Like, he seems to wonder how it’s even possible. May Day separates them, and while she thinks he seems familiar, she fails to recognize him as the man who very recently chased her up the Eiffel Tower. Bond also discovers Zorin has written the mysterious woman a check for $5 million dollars.

After night fall, Bond and Tibbet break into Zorin’s laboratory and learn he’s implanting adrenaline-releasing devices in his horses. But don’t worry, nothing ever really comes of it, so I’m going to move on. There’s a brief fight by a boxing machine, but it’s just silly and forgettable.

Now, what isn’t silly or forgettable is the workout scene between May Day and Zorin. Good lord this gets creepy. She appears to be training him to fight, and after they clearly both enjoy kicking the poo poo out of each other, they start was I’m sure would be the most bite-y, androgynous sex scene ever filmed, and are interrupted by security saying there’s been an intrusion in the lab. He suspects “Mr. St. John Smith”, and they find him not in his room. May Day finally realizes that he was the man in the Eiffel Tower, and they find Bond in her bed...naked. Perfect plan, Bond, perfect plan. Which, I guess it was, because she disrobes and gets right into bed with him. I don’t get what’s happening here. Anyway, we get a moment where May Day flips him over and gets on top of him, which I’m sure was meant as a “Oh poo poo, she’s totally in control!” but it kind of falls flat because I’m too grossed out by a nude Roger Moore.

The next morning, Zorin meets with Bond in his office, where he uses a hidden camera and image recognition to identify him as James Bond with a license to kill. I have no idea where he gets his information, but it’s very good. Walken is a lot of fun to watch in this scene, because he does a little “Harumph” or laugh every time new info comes up about Bond. Which happens 3 or 4 times. May Day and Jenny Flex follow Tibbets into town, and murder him in a car wash. Bye Tibbets, we barely knew ye.

Bond meets with Zorin on a horse track, and Zorin tries to kill him in increasingly bizarre horse jumping related traps. “Yes...I will raise the plants higher! That will get him,” followed by, “I’ll make the small puddle larger...yes.” Obviously none of them work, and Bond rides way into the forest, only to be tricked into thinking Tibbets has arrived to save him, only to find May Day in the car. Zorin knocks him unconscious and drops him and Tibbet’s body in the car, dropping the car into the lake. Bond wakes up and escapes, and hides underwater breathing air out of the tires. I have no idea if this would actually work, but having seen it both here and in the TV show Alias, I’ll allow it. Everything that happens to Zorin after this is his own fault for not killing Bond outright, but that’s par for the course for a Bond villain, so I don’t really know why I mentioned it.

Back at the horse race track, Zorin meets with General Gogol of the KGB (as well as...hey, that’s Dolph Lundgren back there, not saying a word!). Gogol is angry at Zorin for killing Bond, as he didn’t get permission to do so, and we find out that Zorin was initially trained and financed (and possibly grown in a laboratory) by the KGB. But Zorin now reveals that he is going rogue. Gogol leaves, saying “No one leaves the KGB.” But this, also, goes nowhere. Also, this happens:

We then jump to Zorin in a board meeting, and this scene is just crazy in the best way possible. He is explaining to a group of investors his plan to destroy Silicon Valley, which will give him, and his investors, a monopoly over microchip manufacture. Which, you know, makes no sense, because Silicon Valley isn’t where chips are manufactured, but where they’re used, but whatever. He explains that each investor would need to pay $100 million as well as half of their income.

One investor says that’s crazy, and Zorin asks him to step outside. Once outside the room, May Day opens a trap door, and he falls out of a god damned blimp. Oh, did you not know we were on an air ship? Yeah, I didn’t know either. I have no idea if they knew. I have no idea how or when they got onboard. I guess the investors must have known. But the reveal comes out of nowhere. Anyway, Zorin and May Day look out the window at San Francisco’s Golden Gate bridge, and May Day says, “Wow, what a view.” To which Zorin says, “Yes, a view to a kill.” And I have no idea what that means.

Bond goes to San Francisco where he meets with CIA agent Chuck Lee (uses the clever code phrase of wanting soft shelled crab...at a seafood stand…). He learns that Zorin could be the product of medical experimentation, but we already kind of knew that, so this comes off kind of redundant. We do get confirmation that Zorin’s Dr. Mortner is in fact a Nazi scientist (duh) and the person who...let’s say created Zorin. While scuba diving a nearby oil rig owned by Zorin, he runs into KGB agent Pola Ivanova (who we find out has a history with Bond, so much so I thought I had forgotten an old character. I hadn’t, she’s new) who is also investigating Zorin. Pola’s partner is killed (apparently because Zorin told his men to turn the rig onto full power, for no real reason) but Bond and Pola escape.

Pola and Bond then, naturally, bang in a hot tub. We find out that Pola recorded a conversation of Zorin’s, but I’m too distracted by terrible shots of Moore getting out of the hot tub, and feeling bad for Pola having to watch him shuffle his old naked body around. Later, Pola steals the Zorin tape back (and is picked up by Gogol himself? What?), only to find out that Bond has switched the tapes. So Bond now has details about the strike against Silicon Valley in 3 days.

The movie then remembers it introduced Tanya Roberts and did nothing with her, so Bond tracks her down, and finds out she is a State Geologist named Stacey Sutton (what kind of a Bond girl name is that?). Apparently she is not only Geologist but also the heir to an oil business, which Zorin is trying to buy out. Which she has no interest in. Bond sneaks into her house (not cool) where she actually gets the drop on him by setting a shower running and coming behind him with a shotgun. She’s not always written terribly, but Roberts brings absolutely nothing to the table. Her every line read comes off like someone made her memorize it phonetically. She realizes Bond doesn’t work for Zorin because some actual men of Zorin’s attack, and Bond fights them off. The flight is slow and plodding (because that’s the only pace Moore can handle now), mostly notable for the great music playing over the whole thing.

Bond claims to Sutton that he is a reporter doing a story on Zorin, and he makes her some quiche (I don’t know why) and watches over her protectively while she sleeps. They’re setting him up as a fatherly protector, which would be fine if I wasn’t sure they’re going to be sleeping together by the end of this movie. He wakes up the next morning to her bringing him breakfast in the smallest robe I have ever seen. They talk and she finds out Zorin is pumping seawater into...something. I’m not really clear and I watched the scene a couple of times, but whatever it is clearly rattles her. It somehow is related to flooding a fault line, but one far from Silicon Valley. Sutton is fired for bringing it up with her boss, but she still has her city pass (that’s some lovely security) so they plan to head to city hall to look at his plans. Oh, also the CIA Agent from earlier is killed, but it has little to no bearing on the plot or characters, as they don’t even know it happened.

Once they break in, they discover Zorin’s plans involve a silver mine by the San Andreas fault. But they’re captured by Zorin and May Day. Zorin kills Sutton’s old boss with Bond’s gun, and sets the drat building on fire. I’d be impressed, if he had also shot Bond. Instead he leaves him in a disabled elevator between floors. Essentially he’s trying to frame Bond for the death of the geologist. Bond and Sutton escape the fire, and he carries her down a fire truck ladder that had just shown up, to the cheers of a gathered crowd. Which would feel pretty out of place, but, again, the music really sells it, bringing the lyrics “Dance into the fire” back into my head.

The police try to arrest Bond (forcing Bond to come clean about who he really is to Sutton for the first time), and Bond turns a firehose on the police officer before escaping in a fire truck. And holy poo poo, this scene. We get a chase scene through the streets of San Francisco with police cars chasing Bond and Sutton in a fire truck, which just happens to have a loose ladder. It goes on forever, like, to the point where it becomes comical. The ladder, with Bond on it of course, swings out over the street, and the stunt work is rather fun and impressive, as there’s clearly a stuntman dangling from the ladder. It’s crazy stunt after crazy stunt, culminating with the fire truck jumping over a partially raised bridge, almost killing several cops who are left on the bridge being raised. It’s nuts. And I can’t help but enjoy it.

Bond and Sutton infiltrate Zorin’s silver mine, and they discover his plan to uses explosives beneath the lakes of two fault lines, causing them to flood, leaving Silicon Valley underwater. There’s also a larger bomb, meant to join the fault lines...somehow. Bond even actually says, “To make a...double earthquake?” It’s the kind of thing that makes me realize what Bond spoofs have been spoofing this whole time. We also get a line, as miners see Sutton in heels, where Bond says, “It’s women’s lib, taking over the teamsters.” Awkward. Anyway, once Zorin is in a safe place and ready to start, he floods the chambers, killing the mine workers. I guess he doesn’t plan on having a second mine that will need good workers. Hell, at one point he just opens fire on his own men with a machine gun. Again, it kind of makes no sense, until you remember it’s Walken playing a lunatic, at which point I wonder if it was his idea. It’s also quite a bit darker than Bond has ever been before, as bodies are just floating past them. This apparently bothered Roger Moore. (Again, this movie should have starred Timothy Dalton).

Sutton barely escapes the flooding, and Bond and May Day fight. At least, until May Day realizes that Zorin didn’t care if she were down there either, and planned on killing her, too. (And did kill Jenny Flex.) Zorin gets away to yet another blimp and flies high to avoid being on the group for the double earthquake (which I’ll admit is a good idea). May Day now betrays Zorin and works with Bond to disable the bomb. They can’t quite disarm it, but they can move it off of the fault line (or whatever that thing is on, I’m still lost), and they put it on a hand cart and get it out of the mine, killing May Day in the process, but ruining Zorin’s plan, who witnesses this from his airship.

Zorin, now pisses as hell, brings his airship back around (I just love typing airship) and captures Sutton, and Bond grabs the blimp’s mooring rope. Zorin has his pilot try to kill Bond by slamming him into the Golden Gate bridge (I love how crazy this movie has gotten by the end), but Bond manages to jump off and tie the drat airship to the framework of the bridge. Sutton attacks Zorin inside of the ship and knocks out both Dr. Mortner and Zorin’s second henchman after May Day (oh, he’s a man named Scarpine. He’s...okay.) Sutton climbs out of the airship and onto the top of the bridge, and Zorin follows them with an axe. I want you to try and think of something scarier than a bleach blonde pissed off Christopher Walken coming after you on the top of a bridge with an axe. Because I’m having trouble.

The fight on top of the Golden Gate bridge is pretty great. We get some fantastic shots of people actually up there, even if any shots of fighting are clearly rear projection shots on a set. Bond wrestles with Zorin, and manages to knock him off the bridge, where, after hanging off the edge and letting out a crazy person laugh, falls to his death. Dr. Mortner, enraged at seeing his...son? creation?...killed, goes full on Looney Toons and pulls sticks of dynamite out of a safe and lights it, planning on throwing it at Bond and Sutton I guess? But Bond unties the ship and it flies away, letting the dynamite explode and kill both Mortner and Scarpine (and, more sadly, the airship).

Back at MI:6 headquarters, General Gogol has arrived to award Bond the Order of Lenin for taking out Zorin, which is pretty fantastic. But they don’t know where Bond is, and they presume the worst. Which gives us our final Lois Maxwell scene as Moneypenny, crying over what she assumes is Bond’s death. Then, out of nowhere, we get Q’s robot dog spy thing moving around Sutton’s house, eventually into the bathroom where Bond and Sutton are showering together. Which means that robot dog’s whole purpose was this scene, which really had no purpose. I’d be angry, but Duran Duran just kicked in over the closing credits, so I can’t stay mad.

My first time watching this, I walked away super pumped and kind of loving this movie. But sitting down to write this, I tried to watch with a more careful eye, and an earlier poster saying that the music let’s you forgive a lot of the film’s faults made a really good point. It’s not a bad movie, really, but it’s also not a good one. What it is, besides the painfully boring horse auction scenes in the middle, is a pretty fun, crazy, yet dark entry. That, I maintain yet again would be a thousand times better if they had put Roger Moore out to pasture one film sooner, and moved ahead with Dalton instead. It feels decidedly different than any earlier entry, while still maintaining enough elements of the originals that it feels like a reinvention of Bond, only starring the aged star of the older era. And, again, it has one hell of a theme song and soundtrack. Oh well, it’s finally time for some new blood, as we move away from the Moore era.

James Bond will return in The Living Daylights!

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 19, 2015

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The Eiffel Tower has two restaurants :eng101:

I'm surprised you thought so highly of the film. Apart from Duran Duran and Grace Jones (who is probably one of the better villainesses after Xenia Onatopp), as you said Moore is too old, Stacey Sutton is too irritating, the movie can get very boring at times, I also feel like Christopher Walken is totally wasted and the scenes of him mowing down his own men for fun are excessive. They originally wanted David Bowie for the role and that would have been more interesting. I don't think Dalton would have improved things either, it's still very much a Roger Moore movie. Bottom three of the series for me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cacator posted:

The Eiffel Tower has two restaurants :eng101:

I'm surprised you thought so highly of the film. Apart from Duran Duran and Grace Jones (who is probably one of the better villainesses after Xenia Onatopp), as you said Moore is too old, Stacey Sutton is too irritating, the movie can get very boring at times, I also feel like Christopher Walken is totally wasted and the scenes of him mowing down his own men for fun are excessive. They originally wanted David Bowie for the role and that would have been more interesting. I don't think Dalton would have improved things either, it's still very much a Roger Moore movie. Bottom three of the series for me.

I was surprised, too. Most everything you say is true. I think I just appreciate the spectacle of a villain who has two airships, plans on blowing up a bomb to create a "double earthquake" to sink Silicon Valley, and it all ends with him attacking Bond on top of the Golden Gate bridge, with an axe...and he's played by Christopher Walken. The sheer audacity is just stunning.

I disagree it's a Moore movie. It has the ridiculous, but much darker. Moore even reportedly hated how dark and "not Bond" it got.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Duran Duran and the opening credit sequence are amazing. It's absolutely the best Bond song and it's not even close.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

Did they write the script intending to introduce a younger Bond, only to later just cast Moore anyway? Wikipedia certainly doesn’t say anything like this. But it’s the only way I can have this movie make sense.

By the point of this movie's production, Roger Moore was already on a per-film contract (meaning they had to convince him to come back for each one instead of just giving him something like a 3-film contract) and was literally on the verge of calling it quits when they dragged him back for one more picture.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I've said it before and I'll say it again - Stacy Sutton is THE WORST Bond girl, and that's no easy feat. She does hardly anything to move the plot forward and is helpless even by Bond girl standards. Half her dialogue is just screaming "James!"

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I think they wanted Brosnan and were waiting for his contract with Remington Steele to run out. The irony is after this film they got Brosnan because Steele was on the rocks, but the Steele people called him on the last day of his contract to renew it, literally as he was on his way out the door to go be debuted as the new Bond.

"Oh, I guess I should answer the phone..." actual quote from Brosnan.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm ok with that because otherwise we'd have never had Timothy Dalton Bond.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Riven posted:

I think they wanted Brosnan and were waiting for his contract with Remington Steele to run out. The irony is after this film they got Brosnan because Steele was on the rocks, but the Steele people called him on the last day of his contract to renew it, literally as he was on his way out the door to go be debuted as the new Bond.

"Oh, I guess I should answer the phone..." actual quote from Brosnan.

That...that must have stung. At least he got twice as many movies as Dalton. Though, with one of those being Die Another Day, it's hard to say who won, in the end.

(He said having not watched Dalton yet.)

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
The documentary "Everything or Nothing" that came out the same year as Skyfall is really, really great. They had access to EON (fun fact, is an acronym for Everything Or Nothing, what they considered their chances of success to be), so a bunch of footage, and interview pretty much everyone except Cubby and Saltzman, who were dead, and Connery, who is just done with the whole thing.

Brosnan is legit sad that he's no longer Bond. The call he got to be let go is a sadder story than that one.

But the whole thing is worth the price of whatever you pay to buy/rent it, for Dalton's interview. I tried typing it but it's no good without his inflection and delivery. Dalton wasn't acting, he is an intense madman in real life.

Ok one taste: "Bond should walk into a room and just kill guys in cold blood. Just *makes a finger gun and fires* bam, bam, bam, bam, bam!"

It's hilarious, especially when he starts mocking parents for wanting to take kids to a Bond film.

Honestly they should get him back to play a Bond villain. He would be incredible as a foil for Craig.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

gohuskies posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Stacy Sutton is THE WORST Bond girl, and that's no easy feat. She does hardly anything to move the plot forward and is helpless even by Bond girl standards. Half her dialogue is just screaming "James!"

At least she doesn't prevent Bond from completing the mission several times (Mary Goodnight). And at least her screaming for help isn't Halle Berry's dialogue.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I just wanted to thank you Thrawn for continuing this project. I always look forward to a new write-up.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The quiche thing was an 80's stereotype that "real men don't eat quiche" (taken from a humor book of that title). The butterfly act was supposedly some big real-life thing, too. What with all this and the terrible snowboarding scene, this is probably the hardest the Bond franchise tries to look hip and trendy, and with the actor that had the least chance of pulling it off.

Soft shell crab as a codeword is actually not a terrible idea, because San Francisco doesn't have soft shell crab as a food. (Some markets may have live or frozen ones, but it wouldn't be local, and in the 80's I'd bet it was a lot less likely).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

That...that must have stung. At least he got twice as many movies as Dalton. Though, with one of those being Die Another Day, it's hard to say who won, in the end.

(He said having not watched Dalton yet.)

Personally, Dalton is my favorite of the Bonds in terms of his acting ability. Bond is almost too simple of a character for someone of Timothy Dalton's caliber, but he adds extra complexity and believable emotion. TLD drags on a bit too long, but it's one of my favorite Bond films period.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Kangra posted:

The quiche thing was an 80's stereotype that "real men don't eat quiche" (taken from a humor book of that title). The butterfly act was supposedly some big real-life thing, too. What with all this and the terrible snowboarding scene, this is probably the hardest the Bond franchise tries to look hip and trendy, and with the actor that had the least chance of pulling it off.

Soft shell crab as a codeword is actually not a terrible idea, because San Francisco doesn't have soft shell crab as a food. (Some markets may have live or frozen ones, but it wouldn't be local, and in the 80's I'd bet it was a lot less likely).

The How Did This Get Made podcast for AVTAK is fantastic, and has the James Bonding guys on it. They spend easily twenty minutes on that loving butterfly scene. It was a very famous tourist thing in Paris at the time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I always thought Zorin was supposed to be a East-German experiment gone horribly right. Like a lesser Johann from Monster.

Riven posted:

Honestly they should get him back to play a Bond villain. He would be incredible as a foil for Craig.

Yes. That would be amazing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The opening title sequence is delightfully 80s and marvelous blacklight work (skier getting shot into an ice sculprute? That's gotta be symbolic, even if it isn't symbolic OF anything), but the music video needs a nod as well for Duran Duran playing spy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV4UqmbzIq4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

chitoryu12 posted:

Personally, Dalton is my favorite of the Bonds in terms of his acting ability. Bond is almost too simple of a character for someone of Timothy Dalton's caliber, but he adds extra complexity and believable emotion. TLD drags on a bit too long, but it's one of my favorite Bond films period.

This thread actually inspired me to finally get around to watching the Dalton Bonds (growing up I'd managed to miss them because it was Connery/Moore on TV and Brosnan in the cinema). And the above is spot on. I now see why everyone raves about Dalton, and he's definitely my favourite Bond. TLD just beats out License to Kill for me, but they're both top tier Bond films. What's really great is that they're so tonally different, but Dalton makes them both work.

• Locked thread