Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It took me over a year and a half to get my first city shot I was happy with. Thankfully I don't take photos daily...

unrelated, but dj, how's that 300 f4 treating you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I really wish I could take more photos of my city since I'm living somewhere really interesting/out of the way (in the Congo), but people here are really paranoid about cameras and shout at me just while taking photos of buildings

I'm quite pleased with how this turned out, despite being a snapshot. E-M10 with the PanaLeica 15mm at sunset

Only registered members can see post attachments!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

It took me over a year and a half to get my first city shot I was happy with. Thankfully I don't take photos daily...

I've been a photographer 14 years and I still haven't taken a shot I'm happy with

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
The UPS man kindly delivered my X-T20 tonight. First impressions; really nice. EVF nowhere near as small as I had expected, in fact it is quite nice. Sensor to detect your eye at the EVF is at 11 and triggers way too easily though.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

8th-snype posted:

I've been a photographer 14 years and I still haven't taken a shot I'm happy with

You will get it next time.

I use it as a way to explore my creative side and explore.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I fuckin' love it.

BRW20044 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW20080 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW20042 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW10125 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Sensor to detect your eye at the EVF is at 11 and triggers way too easily though.

My Sony was driving me crazy with same thing but I found easy way to fix that - a tiny bit of black tape to cover some of the sensor made it less sensitive.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!
For any of you X-T2 owners, or previous Fuji generations/models: Do you notice the body collecting an awful lot of dust?

It feels like there's some crazy magnet inside my camera that's causing all sorts of pollen, dust, or whatever is floating around to get stuck the body itself, far more than any Canon/Panasonic or even film camera I've owned. Blowing it off doesn't help, and it's really noticeable around the rubber eyecup, that's the biggest offender. Kinda like a rubber balloon rubbed against a kids head, to play a joke on them with static build up, except this causes it get onto the viewfinder glass/screen.

ianskate fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 31, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

DJExile posted:

I fuckin' love it.

BRW20044 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW20080 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW20042 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW10125 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

Mmmffff I hope there will be stock to rent this come airshow time. Maybe I should start birding too...

My evf doesn't always pick up my eye through my sunglasses which is quite annoying.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

ianskate posted:

For any of you X-T2 owners, or previous Fuji generations/models: Do you notice the body collecting an awful lot of dust?

It feels like there's some crazy magnet inside my camera that's causing all sorts of pollen, dust, or whatever is floating around to get stuck the body itself, far more than any Canon/Panasonic or even film camera I've owned. Blowing it off doesn't help, and it's really noticeable around the rubber eyecup, that's the biggest offender. Kinda like a rubber balloon rubbed against a kids head, to play a joke on them with static build up, except this causes it get onto the viewfinder glass/screen.

yeah the eyecup is a dust magnet, something with the rubber. i just use a rocket blower on it every few weeks.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Even with the new EFV/LCD option in the new X-T2 firmware there still isn't a mode that I am 100% happy with. I'd love it if the back LCD was off all the time except when I want to preview an image or look through the menu. It seems like this mode almost exists, except you still have to hold your eye up to the viewfinder to change menu settings, which is awkward as hell.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The eyecup on the Sony a6x00 bodies collects crud and dust like crazy as well and the glass is impossible to keep clean.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How's the X-T2 evf compared to X-T1 btw? 1 is really dim when outside, how much the improved brightness in 2 helps? Also is the auto-brightness in 2 useful at all? At least in phones every auto-brightness has sucked so far..

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I've never used the XT1 aside from messing with it at the store, but using my XT2 on my vacation for two weeks straight I never thought to myself that the EVF was too dim at all.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The auto brightness on my xt-2 evf tends to go too low for me but manually setting it the evf is never too dim even in full sun.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Sadly I must report the X-T20 has to go back. My poor old man hands can't deal with the little grip and the cramping. The X-T20 is a great little camera, just apparently too little for my stupid hands. I ordered my wife a G7 last week and it arrives this week, so I'll shoot with that for awhile and see how I like it with its larger size grip. A benefit there is m43 lenses are small and it reduces my weight even further.

I can't imagine how this thing would balance with a bigger lens though, honestly amazing what Fuji has managed to fit into this tiny body.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Are there no grips for Fuji cameras? I bought a cheap third party grip for my E-M10 and it makes it much more comfortable to hold.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Popelmon posted:

Are there no grips for Fuji cameras? I bought a cheap third party grip for my E-M10 and it makes it much more comfortable to hold.
You mean vertical battery grips? Only for the X-T1 and X-T2, as far as I know. Otherwise the other cameras have what Fuji calls metal hand grips that add an Arca-Swiss plate and a larger hand grip, but they're still not vertical grips.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Sadly I must report the X-T20 has to go back. My poor old man hands can't deal with the little grip and the cramping. The X-T20 is a great little camera, just apparently too little for my stupid hands. I ordered my wife a G7 last week and it arrives this week, so I'll shoot with that for awhile and see how I like it with its larger size grip. A benefit there is m43 lenses are small and it reduces my weight even further.

I can't imagine how this thing would balance with a bigger lens though, honestly amazing what Fuji has managed to fit into this tiny body.

I have a metal grip that fits the x-t10 that I don't use anymore. If you think it'd fit I'd happily mail it to you for the cost of shipping (~$6).

Edit: This thing. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013UH24PI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I have a metal grip that fits the x-t10 that I don't use anymore. If you think it'd fit I'd happily mail it to you for the cost of shipping (~$6).

Edit: This thing. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013UH24PI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I appreciate the offer! The grip was the main issue but there were a couple little complaints, my hands kept hitting buttons on the back and screwing up some of my settings and a couple other little minor nags. Overall I think m43 will be just fine for me, I've shot with an OM-D E-M5 in the past and liked it. A little less costly as well, which is always a good thing!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I couldn't imagine using my X100S without the hotshoe thumb grip, though that's not really an option if you actually use your hotshoe for its intended purpose.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Have you tried using the xt2? Big jump in money, but it is bigger

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
I have big banana hands and use this JB designs hipster wooden grip on my XT1. I can't hardly use the camera without it. Not sure if they make them for other X models though.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

FWIW: I couldn't stand using my X-T10 without some sort of additional grip. I wound up springing for the expensive lensmate thumb grip and it makes the camera infinitely better for normal to large hands.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Is there something weird going on with third party batteries for the X-T2? I've used Lenmar batteries in my Canon T3i and only one ever developed an issue. But when I look at Lenmar's website the one they used to offer is no longer on there. If I look at Amazon there's just some third party seller who has them and has very short supply.

The reason I ask is because my dumb rear end somehow misplaced the spare Fuji battery I had. It's OK if I lose a $30 Lenmar battery... can't say the same for a $60 Fuji battery.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

ReverendHammer posted:

Is there something weird going on with third party batteries for the X-T2? I've used Lenmar batteries in my Canon T3i and only one ever developed an issue. But when I look at Lenmar's website the one they used to offer is no longer on there. If I look at Amazon there's just some third party seller who has them and has very short supply.

The reason I ask is because my dumb rear end somehow misplaced the spare Fuji battery I had. It's OK if I lose a $30 Lenmar battery... can't say the same for a $60 Fuji battery.

Just buy wasabi batteries on amazon.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

In the few days I've been using my x100f I've found that the mount loop from my blackrapid is a nice finger hold for my giant bear hands, I basically have my left thumb flat against the side of the camera and my left index curled around the loop, with my right hand in the usual position. It almost makes up for said loop blocking the battery door from opening.

I can't wait for a grip for the x100f to arrive, though, the palm swell as is may as well not even be there for me.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

8th-snype posted:

Just buy wasabi batteries on amazon.

Thanks for the suggestion. Won't be mad if I lose an $8 battery.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Wasabi batteries own

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Wasabi batteries are great and also Watson batteries. I have four Watsons from before I heard of Wasabi and they have no problems. Even came with its own charger and also a car cigarette lighter adapter which has been useful in a pinch driving to gigs having forgotten to charge a battery.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Do they charge in the official charger? Because aftermarket batteries often don't

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Do they charge in the official charger? Because aftermarket batteries often don't

My Wasabis have charged in Olympus chargers without issue

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I bought two sets of Wasabi batteries for my XT2 and honestly didn't notice the difference between them and the official one during my vacation. They charged find in either charger and even in the camera itself.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Mest0r posted:

I bought two sets of Wasabi batteries for my XT2 and honestly didn't notice the difference between them and the official one during my vacation. They charged find in either charger and even in the camera itself.

Did you get the NP-W126 ones or are there some newer NP-W126S versions I can't find? Amazon has two batteries plus a charger for $32 which is a pretty amazing deal, but I've heard horror stories about not using proper NP-W126S batteries in the XT2

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm still using all of my Wasabi and Watson batteries I bought for my X-T1 with my X-T2 without issue. I'm not shooting 4K video though which is supposed to be what differentiates the S vs. non-S batteries.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
My Wasabis have swollen and don't easily fit into a an X-T1 body without needing to hammer the body to get the battery out.

One does fit into the X-T1 grip with no problem.

Also, both my Wasabis now get pretty poor battery life - probably half that of my original Fuji battery.

Edit: The Wasabi charger is way, way better than the Fuji charger, however.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
That's the thing, once the wasabis swell or show a low life I toss them out. Considering the price I'd rather replace an $8 battery or two a year than a $50 one every couple of years.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I'll be ordering some Wasabi's here soon for these Panasonics that just arrived.

I am blown away by these little cameras. They fit my hands perfectly, the EVF is fantastic and the touch focusing while you're eye is at the EVF is awesome as well, a little weird at first but then really really awesome.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!
I grabbed some of the DOT01 brand batteries (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LVW62OS/) for my X-T2 and so far they've been pretty good. Will see how long they last.

I've always had acceptable experiences with Wasabi stuff for GoPro's and GH4 use, but again they do often run out without indicating low percentage beforehand.

ianskate fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mes
Apr 28, 2006

BANME.sh posted:

Did you get the NP-W126 ones or are there some newer NP-W126S versions I can't find? Amazon has two batteries plus a charger for $32 which is a pretty amazing deal, but I've heard horror stories about not using proper NP-W126S batteries in the XT2

They are non-S versions. I wasn't shooting video with my XT2 so I didn't really think about getting the S versions.