Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

Sorry to make what is probably "the post we see here every month" but as the OP says it's very out of date. I recently reinstalled Skyrim (SE version) and while I originally played it vanilla I don't think I can stomach that dreadful UI again. I'm looking to fix it up with some improvements.

Since nobody's mentioned it yet, I thought you should know that you do have the option of just going with a Wabbajack modlist. These are pre-made modded game setups curated by various authors or teams of authors, each with specific design goals in mind. So you might have one that's just focused on performance and bugfixes, another that's focused on challenging combat another yet that focuses on questing, or survival. Thing is, once you've picked one, Wabbajack will download, install and configure it for you (provided you're paying for one month of nexus premium, or are instead willing to do a lot of clicking confirmation boxes). If you find that one of them fits your criteria, you might save yourself an awful lot of time and trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Synthwave Crusader posted:

Just stopping by to post this. The scholar who created Dagothwave has released a full on soundtrack replacement mod for Skyrim and it's honestly amazing.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/115096

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTg2JEbaL1E

All my saints rock that gucci (ayy)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

In addition to the above, Auto-Input Switch and Kontrol are vital if you want to play primarily with a gamepad but use the mouse in the UI.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cool, thanks for the info everyone. That gave me some things to chew on.

Follow-up question: What version do I actually have? The game says 1.6.1170.0.8, which according to all of these mod sources should be Anniversary Edition? But I only have Special Edition. AE isn't in my library at all.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
AE is just the special edition, with a bunch of lovely creation kit garbage added.

You might have special edition version 1.6 whatever, and that's essentially AE. Mods that only work for special edition are typically 1.5 version stuff.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
AE is both DLC and patch. Anything after 1.5.97 is called AE even if you don't have the DLC. It will still say SE in your Steam library. 1.6.1170.0.8 is AE.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

Sorry to make what is probably "the post we see here every month" but as the OP says it's very out of date. I recently reinstalled Skyrim (SE version) and while I originally played it vanilla I don't think I can stomach that dreadful UI again. I'm looking to fix it up with some improvements.

I came across this Reddit... wiki? that lists "essential mods" and to be frank it seems insanely daunting to me and I don't even know where to begin with it. Do I really need all of those mod managing tools just to install a small handful of things?

Here's what I'm interested in:
  • UI improvements: I'll probably be cool with just SkyUI but I'll take any other recommended interface improvements you got. I recall scrolling through dialog options being a nuisance resulting in accidentally picking the wrong things.

• Bugfixes: In particular broken quests and mechanics. Stuff like weird engine behavior I'd prefer to remain. It just makes things more interesting. I recall SE being fairly stable so I don't know if stability patches apply.

• Mechanics improvements? I don't know what I'm looking for here in particular, but I remember some things in the base game kind of lacking. I found the spells fairly boring and stuff like enchanting and smithing kind of lacking, for example. Or perhaps I just wasn't playing it right. I do remember late game being a slog because all the enemies became total tanks. Anything that balances that a little?

• Optimization patches: Probably not fully needed but stuff that fixes mesh loading issues or unused objects being loaded into memory for no reason and things of that nature.

Any recommendations for the above? What do I need to install them? Just Vortex?

docbeard posted:

My own bare minimum "just make the game work" list is usually something like:

SKSE + Address Library
SkyUI
Unofficial Patch
Engine Fixes and Bug FIxes
More Informative Console
RaceMenu
Your alternate start mod of choice ("none" is a valid choice for actually playing, but you probably want something in place just to make testing convenient)

(And you could certainly get by without anything but the first three things on that list, I just wouldn't want to).

A lot of the stuff on that reddit list is good but you definitely don't need all that poo poo. (But the real danger/joy is once you start adding "one or two things" you'll never ever stop)

Oh, and for tools, you definitely want Mod Organizer 2 and probably SSEEdit

I'd add to these Better MessageBox Controls, Better Dialogue Controls and Yes Im Sure/Yes Im Sure NG because Skyrim's cursor detection is absolute rear end and these go a long way to help.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

AE is just the special edition

Flowing Thot posted:

Anything after 1.5.97 is called AE even if you don't have the DLC. It will still say SE in your Steam library. 1.6.1170.0.8 is AE.

Good to know!

nine-gear crow posted:

I'd add to these Better MessageBox Controls, Better Dialogue Controls and Yes Im Sure/Yes Im Sure NG because Skyrim's cursor detection is absolute rear end and these go a long way to help.

Yes this is exactly the kind of poo poo I was looking for thanks!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
as someone who owns Skyrim Special Edition on Steam, and is familiar with using Mod Organizer 2 to mod Fallout 3 / NV / 4, how much more or less complicated is Skyrim to mod?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
it's pretty much identical

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Skyrim is less janky than new Vegas and has more mature overall mod packs/gameplay variants than fallout 4, but the process is 99% the same. A lot of the same tools, same kinds of mods.

Oh, one important difference is that in Skyrim modding everyone hates the unofficial patch developer (for good reason) so you often see mods reverting poo poo from the unofficial patch. This is normal and fine.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The only one like that I've got is the Writing Purity Patch (at some point someone on the patch team got an utterly bizarre stick up their butt about the style of certain fantasy terms, like just weird little bugbears about what should be capitalized that have nothing to do with correctness). Other than that I'll just let quest mods overwrite it with abandon unless they say it's a hard requirement.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

as someone who owns Skyrim Special Edition on Steam, and is familiar with using Mod Organizer 2 to mod Fallout 3 / NV / 4, how much more or less complicated is Skyrim to mod?

It can get a little fiddly depending which version of Skyrim you have but for the most part my (very limited) understanding is that modding Fallout 3 and NV is if anything more complicated than Skyrim usually gets, not less.

There are a lot of good (and good?) Wabbajack-based mod packs for Skyrim too, if that's more your speed.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Caphi posted:

The only one like that I've got is the Writing Purity Patch (at some point someone on the patch team got an utterly bizarre stick up their butt about the style of certain fantasy terms, like just weird little bugbears about what should be capitalized that have nothing to do with correctness). Other than that I'll just let quest mods overwrite it with abandon unless they say it's a hard requirement.

Yeah, if you're really curious or pensive about it, you can use SSEEdit to look at the conflicts themselves and see if it's anything you care about, but I usually figure that the USSEP is a known quantity at this point and anyone overwriting it is doing so on purpose and it probably won't break anything (except Arthmoor's heart maybe)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Caphi posted:

The other one that I can think of is Shut Up Mirmulnir. It’s not like you need to install a bunch of patches to the USSEP (at least not right now with gategate being over), just it’s worth pointing out in comparison especially to New Vegas, where YUP fixes a bunch of old modding fuckups and shouldn’t be overridden normally.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Oh, a discord conversation reminded me. Skyrim or Elder Scrolls modding generally involves making a “mashed,” “bashed,” or “smashed” patch towards the end of installing all your mods. (The three patch names mean the same thing and do the same stuff, they’ve just changed names at times to fit different tools. You only want one.)

The most important thing this does is merge different changes to leveled lists (how the game randomly generates enemies, loot, etc). Fallout mods tweak these structures far less, so you likely never had to make one for fallout modding. (Even if you install a big loot and enemy overhaul for Fallout it’s the only thing touching these lists, so you don’t need a bashed patch. It’s only when multiple things are trying to change the same lists that you do.)

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Aren't Mashed/Smashed patches considered a bit antiquated these days? I think Synthesis is the hot new thing, but I have no idea how it works.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Arivia posted:

Oh, one important difference is that in Skyrim modding everyone hates the unofficial patch developer (for good reason) so you often see mods reverting poo poo from the unofficial patch. This is normal and fine.

Like what? I installed that one thinking it was just bugfixes and stuff

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

The Unofficial Patch fixes some bugs but there are also changes that are subjective based on the mod author's opinion. And he's infamous for having very strong opinions.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Everyone loving hates Arthmoor for good reason and was so happy he isn't involved in Starfield unofficial patch.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dovahkiin? Nooo....

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Leal posted:

Dovahkiin? Nooo....
I'm fine with that particular change, the VA is bad but hilarious and it's not like this 2-second voice clip you hear once is any worse really than the 20 NPCs in the official VA which are "random dude doing a bad Ahnold impersonation".

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

iceyman posted:

The Unofficial Patch fixes some bugs but there are also changes that are subjective based on the mod author's opinion. And he's infamous for having very strong opinions.

So should I bother looking into this or just leave it as is?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Definitely use the Unofficial Patch (and don't worry about the Arthmoor stuff, he hardly ever comes through people's computers The Ring style these days)

If there's something it changes that you don't like there's probably a mod that reverses that change but chances are the issue won't ever come up

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Like what? I installed that one thinking it was just bugfixes and stuff

Still use it, there's a lot but nearly all of it is completely inconsequential in a big modlist because the weird balance changes largely get replaced anyway by things like Ordinator, this mod has a decent list of big offenders https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/72083

For my biggest mechanical gripe, the unofficial patch does a hard nerf to vampire characters by changing the restoration perk Necromage to no longer affect the player directly. Without the unofficial patch, any spell you cast on yourself and any enchantment is buffed by 25% in power and 50% in duration because they are being cast on an undead (yourself). This usually offsets a lot of the downsides of vampirism in a vanilla run, its a fun interaction and think its a stupid balance change for a bug-fixing patch. Perk overhauls will replace this anyway though so whatever

For something completely inconsequential but deeply stupid, the NPC Lynly, part of the quest The Lover's Requital, is described in-game by those searching for her as having long black hair. When you find her living under a different name she is blonde. The implication being she also changed her appearance to escape her old life. The unofficial patch changes her hair to be black because Arthmoor does not think hair dye is possible in fantasy settings.

And the funniest example, Mirmulnir, the first dragon you encounter in the game, has a subtitle line showing it speaking saying "Dovahkiin no!" when you kill him. He is not actually voiced in the game, but rather than disable the unused subtitles, they amateurishly recorded audio to add a fandubbed line when the dragon dies. It sounds absurd, and 90% of the people playing the game on PC just think it is part of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNbRquBsiTM&t=42s

Any time you look up that line you will see people arguing about whether it is part of the vanilla game.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
There's also the holy war over what kind of ore Redbelly Mine produces due to Arthmoor's previously mentioned lack of reading comprehension.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

So should I bother looking into this or just leave it as is?

I would use it, but don't sweat other mods maybe overwriting it. It does more good than bad, but yeah, not all changes are technically bugs and are just the author's personal (and very dumb) opinion.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

gay devil posted:

Still use it, there's a lot but nearly all of it is completely inconsequential in a big modlist because the weird balance changes largely get replaced anyway by things like Ordinator, this mod has a decent list of big offenders https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/72083

For my biggest mechanical gripe, the unofficial patch does a hard nerf to vampire characters by changing the restoration perk Necromage to no longer affect the player directly. Without the unofficial patch, any spell you cast on yourself and any enchantment is buffed by 25% in power and 50% in duration because they are being cast on an undead (yourself). This usually offsets a lot of the downsides of vampirism in a vanilla run, its a fun interaction and think its a stupid balance change for a bug-fixing patch. Perk overhauls will replace this anyway though so whatever

For something completely inconsequential but deeply stupid, the NPC Lynly, part of the quest The Lover's Requital, is described in-game by those searching for her as having long black hair. When you find her living under a different name she is blonde. The implication being she also changed her appearance to escape her old life. The unofficial patch changes her hair to be black because Arthmoor does not think hair dye is possible in fantasy settings.

And the funniest example, Mirmulnir, the first dragon you encounter in the game, has a subtitle line showing it speaking saying "Dovahkiin no!" when you kill him. He is not actually voiced in the game, but rather than disable the unused subtitles, they amateurishly recorded audio to add a fandubbed line when the dragon dies. It sounds absurd, and 90% of the people playing the game on PC just think it is part of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNbRquBsiTM&t=42s

Any time you look up that line you will see people arguing about whether it is part of the vanilla game.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/103643

There's also a mod that replaces the infamous "Dovahkiin nooooooo!" line with an AI generated one based on the actual dragons/Mirmulnir's other voice lines.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The stuff the unofficial Skyrim patch changes is all well known at this point, so anything it does affect is noted in the relevant places on UESP. (I checked the Necromage perk and Lynle as examples.) So Arthmoor’s fuckups are still fuckups, but they’re not gonna jump out at you and get you killed suddenly if you’re checking UESP for info.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Trying out Community Shaders, and apart from some strange issues with Subsurface Scattering, they seem pretty neat

One of the things I liked about ENB was the ability to fiddle with light elements directly - practically a necessity when most interior lighting mods seem obsessed with forcing you to play in pitch-blackness
That doesnt seem to be the case with CS - I cant see anywhere that I can manipulate the effects at that level of detail

Is that the case, or have I overlooked something? Or have they move those elements elsewhere - Reshade perhaps?

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
Coming back to manual modding after using wabbajack for a long time - should I be downgrading my version? If not, can I just delete the CC stuff?
Also, is STEP still a good starting point?

Grey Elephants fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Very little reason to downgrade these days - the last remaining standout I can think of is grass pre-caching, which some wizard appears to have figured out recently

STEP remains a solid basis, ignore its grass pre-cache talk and you'll be fine.