Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tunicate posted:

IIRC there are a couple passages people were particularly upset about and they ended up being ones that were purely jordan's work

This is the thing that I remember most about the Sanderson WoT criticisms, mainly because it's just so drat funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

NikkolasKing posted:

I remember last time I was musing about somebody having to continue ASOIAF after GRRM died and the consensus on here was Sanderson's finishing up WOT was not very good.

But apparently this was what made him famous? All he had out before that was Final Empire and Elantris?

But I swear I first heard of Sanderson because of Mistborn. That's why I started there.

Sanderson isn't everyone's cup of tea, which is fine. But I liked the ending of WoT just fine, and the whole of Memory of Light was just one massive Sanderlanche from beginning to end.

I think Harriet actually picked him not just because of Mistborn but because she also read the eulogy he wrote for her husband:
https://www.brandonsanderson.com/euology-goodbye-mr-jordan/

Finishing WoT was what made him massive, not just doing well in his own right. So many people finished WoT, was satisfied and then went looking for something else he had written. That's how I ended up reading The Way of Kings as my first Sanderson book, then Words of Radiance, before back tracking to every single other title in his catalogue that was out at the time.

NikkolasKing posted:

My memory of when i brought up ASOIAF continuing on after GRRM is that a lot of folks said something to the effect of "Sanderson tried to continue a franchise after the original author died and LOOK HOW THAT WENT."

mewse posted:

e: As for completing ASoIaF, I don't think Sanderson has the sensibilities for the amount of treachery that GRRM writes. I'd look to someone like Mark Lawrence (who is not GRRM either, obv, but probably capable of closing out the plot lines in a better way than the show runners did)

Torrannor posted:

And it's only natural that when people muse about somebody having to continue ASOIAF after GRRM died to mention Sanderson, since he's the only author I know who finished a fantasy series after the original author died, and did this in a way that provided an adequate conclusion of the story.

Sanderson is on record as saying that he'll NEVER agree to finish ASOIAF, because he's simply not the right person for it:

Brandon Sanderson posted:

But the point is moot, as I wouldn't say yes to finishing ASOIAF, if asked. (And I don't think they'd ask me.) I'd respectfully decline. I wouldn't be right for the job for many reasons. I wouldn't want to put in the content that the series has, and part of that is due to my religious faith, part of it is just who I am. I don't shy away from difficult material, but I prefer not to get explicit. Honestly, when I read it in George's work, I often just cringe. I don't think it fits in prose; I think it looks tacky. But that's almost 100% due to the my religious leanings. I realize that others don't read such scenes in the same way as I do.

However, I'd suggest that this is actually a minor reason why I'd be a bad writer on this series, despite having enormous respect for GRRM and his talent as a storyteller.

The primary reason has to do with fundamental optimism vs pessimism. I write darkness into my books, but it is darkness as contrast to light, and there is always a spark of hope. George's work seems fundamentally pessimistic--which I don't say as a slam. One of my favorite short stories is Harrison Bergeron, which is also fundamentally pessimistic. Saying George's work is pessimistic doesn't mean that HE is pessimistic, only that he creates a work of art that evokes emotion and discussion through pessimistic themes.

As a comparison, I'm glad that Silver Age science fiction produced both Harrison Bergeron and Star Trek--but I'm Star Trek, not Harrison Bergeron. Calling me in to work on this piece would be like calling in Spielberg to finish a Tarantino film. (Not to imply I deserve to be ranked with either one.) Sure, he could do it, but wouldn't you want someone who themselves makes films with Tarantino-like themes?

My work is also fundamentally different from George's in our use of magic. We've talked about books, and he points out (rightly) that I often use a heavily magical component in my stories--particularly the endings. This is because I'm writing science/magic hybrids, and the idea of magic as progress is fascinating to me. George, however, prefers his magic to be arcane, unknown, and dark--not a tool, but a force you can sometimes (with great danger) apply. This is a small issue, as I'm fond of books that use magic differently, I've just made a stylistic choice in how I do what I do.

He hasn't even read past the first book of the series:

I'll admit, I haven't read the entire ASOIF. I read the first book, and while I though the writing was excellent (I've enjoyed a lot of George's short fiction) I found the experience too much for me. It didn't feel realistic so much as, "Look how much I can build someone up before I destroy them." Which is an absolute art--it's using emotion in a very powerful and clever way. But I feel that he's often doing things to shock and surprise, precisely because they'd be too pessimistic for an ordinary fantasy series. (Indeed, his series feels like distinct reaction and contrast to the cozy fantasy stories of the eighties.)

That said, I realize that my friends who love ASOIAF point out that part of the strengths of the series is how he takes people you thought were irredeemable, and then makes you root for them--which does indeed have an optimism to it. And since I haven't read the entire series, I can't speak from a position of authority. Indeed, it may be too early to judge for any of us (as you point out) because we haven't seen where the journey takes the characters.

I'd say on your second point is a valid one. I considered talking more about magic out in my original post, but felt I'd gone too long already. I'd say it's not the divine nature of magic in mine, so much as the reliable, tool-based nature of the magic. In both, you can use it for good or for evil--but in George's books, he often takes a more classic "Wonder" style approach to magic. Meaning, you never know exactly what the ramifications of using it will be, and you can't ever truly control it. In a way, most magic in his books is akin to the One Ring, while my magic tends to be an unexplored science that--if understood--can indeed by used reliably. Strangely, in this, he's more Tolkien, and I'm more Asimov. (Though Asimov would likely hate a fantasy writer comparing themselves to him.)

As I said, I read the first one, which is not uncommon for me. There are a TON of series where I read only the first, even if I like them. Because there are a lot of people writing great fiction, and I feel that it's important to keep tabs on what everyone is doing, so that I can learn from them. Recently, I read the first of the Expanse, and despite enjoying it a lot, I don't know when/if I'll have the time to get the second.

With Ice and Fire, I specifically found Daenerys's plot too brutal. I'm all for putting characters into terrible situations, and letting horrible things happen. But her plot crossed the line for me. I did not want to read a series where teenage girls have their brothers brutally murdered before them, are raped into submission, finally fall into a kind of stockholm syndrome love with their captor, then get betrayed for showing a little kindness. There's a kind of brilliance to the way that plot played out, but when I was done with it, I just felt sick.

It's not a value judgement for anyone else. I decided from that, however, that series was not for me. I've kept tabs on the plot and worldbuilding, however, because it would be foolish not to be aware of what the top of one's field is doing.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/4uwjq9/spoilers_everything_twow_isnt_coming_this_year_is/d6lotl1/?context=3

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Sanderson admitted that he got Mat's voice wrong in The Gathering Storm but I think he did a good job correcting it after that. I honestly think he gave new life to the series as it felt like RJ was spinning his wheels the last few books. I was very satisfied with the ending. I did a reread this year for the first time since the last book came out and I noticed Sanderson's touch even less than the first time through. Not perfect but you can't ask for a much better ending when the author has died.

He admitted that back during TGS

e: read that wrong, thought you meant you saw him say that just now.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
On the last 5%/10% of Oathbringer and ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccck man, so god drat good. It’s going to be hard to not immediately jump into RoW but I need to knock out Expanse book 9 otherwise my friends will never forgive me.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also, speaking of Wheel of Time, I got an ad for the WoT TV show while watching a Twitch stream.

It was the worst commercial I've ever seen. "One of you will be the chosen one to stop the dark one who will end the world" Could you make it sound more generic? I'm sure there's a lot mrore going on than this but the point of an ad is to entice me to watch and Srereotypical Fantsy 101 does not succeed at that.

That commercial could describe Mistborn as much as this Whee lof Time series.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

NikkolasKing posted:

Also, speaking of Wheel of Time, I got an ad for the WoT TV show while watching a Twitch stream.

It was the worst commercial I've ever seen. "One of you will be the chosen one to stop the dark one who will end the world" Could you make it sound more generic? I'm sure there's a lot mrore going on than this but the point of an ad is to entice me to watch and Srereotypical Fantsy 101 does not succeed at that.

That commercial could describe Mistborn as much as this Whee lof Time series.

The show is good btw

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

RC Cola posted:

The show is good btw

It started strong but is making some baffling deviations from the source material that are quickly souring me on it. And ogier look like poo poo.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

It started strong but is making some baffling deviations from the source material that are quickly souring me on it. And ogier look like poo poo.

Which ones didn't make sense? Shoot me a PM or take it to the wheel of time book thread I guess if you want.

I've only reread the series over a dozen times so maybe I just enjoy the series though

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Speaking, if I love Sanderson is it safe to say I’ll like the WoT books?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Louisgod posted:

Maybe. The wheel of time is more wordy. In a way I like, some don't. Each book also spends time recapping the series, which some dislike. I highly recommend it though. 14 books. The highs are amazing. The lows are well written. The payoff is fantastic.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah it's very different but it's also one of those foundational modern high fantasy things that sanderson's writing is both indebted to and reacting against

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Louisgod posted:

Just bear in mind that it was revolutionary for its time, but if you're only diving into it now, you may find some things quite offputting. It is a super influential work though, and I genuinely enjoyed it. Also you don't have to wait for the conclusion, and the whole last book is all Sanderlanche, which IMO is 100% worth it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I love sanderson but for whatever reason I was just not into WoT, I slogged through the first book and had zero interest in the second so I stopped there.

I like the show a lot more than what I read, it kicks rear end so far.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Louisgod posted:

eke out posted:

yeah it's very different but it's also one of those foundational modern high fantasy things that sanderson's writing is both indebted to and reacting against

Agree with eke; I started with Sanderson and fell in love with him for the concrete magic systems. I picked up WoT because he finished the series, and I enjoyed it significantly less than anything Sanderson has written. Even the most devout fans will refer to the middle of the series as "the slog" :v:

I'd say at least check out the first book, as it was written with a 'complete enough' ending in case a sequel didn't get approved and if you like it, well, then carry on. If not then at least you tried.

e; I'm also enjoying the show, because it's much faster paced / cuts out a lot of the bloat

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

RC Cola posted:

The show is good btw

Since episode 4 it's been letting me down, and I just can't forget that someone said it has a xena vibe because that feels so on the spot. It's not yet been able to make me suspend disbelief when watching it. Episode 6 was another dud for me and it was so hyped beforehand. If it wasn't specifically about the WoT books I don't think I would keep watching.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

RC Cola posted:

Which ones didn't make sense? Shoot me a PM or take it to the wheel of time book thread I guess if you want.

I've only reread the series over a dozen times so maybe I just enjoy the series though

In no particular order :

Giving Perrin a wife to kill immediately.
Skipping Caemlyn entirely.
Healing Mat of the dagger poison in 3 seconds when the books made it explicitly a big deal that happens much later on in the series.
The entire episode dedicated to Logain.
Moraine can make gateways?
Moraine and Siuan are loving?
The ways are opened using the one power now?

Like I get some of the narrative reasons for making these choices but I'm disappointed in a lot of them. They're skipping Min and Elayne and Elaida etc until they're ready to be more major characters instead of one off casting choices that may not be available in the future. Makes sense. But some of it feels like maybe the writers only paid attention to the first two or three books and ignored the rest.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

of that list only the perrin change is actually bad and some of the rest is good as hell or just things i'm pretty sure you misunderstood (there's no way mat is fully healed, it's going to be just like the books where moiraine temporarily warded off its influence; she can't make gateways there was a specific ter'angreal that goes to one place; min is coming next episode)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hello, I created the WoT thread so that this discussion could stop derailing the Sanderson thread, please go there

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Seems to me that mentioning WoT in the thread title here virtually invites discussion about it

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
For the books yeah, for the shows it probably makes sense to draw the line there. At least until the show hits whichever books Sanderson wrote.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
If you like Sanderson and are wondering if WoT is for you, here are some (completely skippable if you don't care) things you should know:

• The first book is explicitly meant to be "What if Fellowship of the Ring, but Gandalf a woman??" It even follows the plot suspiciously closely, with four five rural friends being chased from home by dark riders with unnatural powers, barely escape across a ferry, meet up in a small town they mistake as a big city to team up with a wizard and mysterious fighter, then head off to the actual big magical city before heading out into the big unknown wild on their actual adventure. After this is when it starts becoming its own thing.
  • Jordan is looser with magic rules than Sanderson, though he's more on the structured end of the scale. Still, characters pull stuff out of their asses and sometimes things get contradictory, especially with early books
  • The majority of the series is about political intrigues and epic battles, the fates of cities and nations and Houses and heroes and villains vying for control and reacting to surprises. Jordan however is more subtle and vague than Sanderson. He uses third person limited perspective for his characters , and they are often not only wrong about what they know but wrong about understanding themselves. One character contradicts themselves in a single sentence and often in the course of a conversation, complaining about violent men before thinking about beating them up for it, another is insane talking out loud to a voice in their head, but if you aren't paying close attention you might not realize it. Things the characters see but don't understand are only given passing mention - if they mention a short person wearing a red coat, it's 50/50 whether they're just background or it's another character doing something else. Characters meet in disguise and don't know each other, but you can sometimes figure out who was there by what they know or how they say things.
  • Relatedly, subtext is a big part of the series. The relationship between Siuan and Moiraine for example is canon, but referred to obliquely as "pillow friends" and ambiguous if it's sexual or just an exceedingly close friendship. Many other things might seem to come out of left field, but usually there are signs you pick up on a reread, or if you know the characters. For example, two powerful and canny characters meet early in the story, but because we're in the head of an ignorant shepherd a lot of their conversation goes over his head and he just observes they don't like each other. This makes the books extremely rich reading, but it takes more effort and not for everyone.
  • Also relatedly, battles are way different. Jordan was a Vietnam vet with PTSD and it shows with his depictions: everything is chaotic and the focus is on immediate survival, and though you get information about it the whole time the broader battle only makes sense once the fighting stops. You get a broad feeling for how the battle is going but spend most of it just trying to not die.
  • Fighting moves are explained with evocative but meaningless names, like the sword attack "Boar Rushes Down the Mountain." What that means is never explained, but it gives you the idea of a reckless brute force downward striking attack. Sanderson in my experience is more explicit about how individuals are positioned and fights are more focused on the actions of individual combatants' movement
  • While progressive for its time it was still written in the 90s and some things haven't aged well. Jordan has an inclusive and diverse cast and the themes of cooperation being good, miscommunication common, and racism/prejudice being bad are all quite relevant, but two-gender essentialism is built into the story. The only arguably trans character is a bad person, and put in the wrong body as punishment/humiliation. There are a few same sex relationships but they aren't prominent or obvious, and there are several instances of multiple-partner relationships but clumsily implemented and usually polygamous instead of polyandrous. That said, this is probably just because Jordan died before a lot of progress was made and his wife believes he would be a good ally today.
  • Speaking of his wife, she was his editor and while undoubtedly whip smart she may have let Jordan get away with too much wordiness and meandering plotlines. And inclusion of his spanking kink. And lots of arms being crossed under ample bosoms.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

DarkHorse posted:

And lots of arms being crossed under ample bosoms.

Ample bosom girls make the wheel go round

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

DarkHorse posted:

[*]Speaking of his wife, she was his editor and while undoubtedly whip smart she may have let Jordan get away with too much wordiness and meandering plotlines. And inclusion of his spanking kink. And lots of arms being crossed under ample bosoms. [/list]

M_Gargantua posted:

Ample bosom girls make the wheel go round

The amount of spanking kink in the WoT books cannot be understated. It is ubiquitous. Also the WoT vibe summarized in gif form:

mewse posted:

Hello, I created the WoT thread so that this discussion could stop derailing the Sanderson thread, please go there

Anyway to contribute something more on topic - Sanderson actually did NaNoWriMo for the first time in a very long time, working on the first half of Skyward 4: https://www.reddit.com/r/Sanderson/comments/r6orfn/final_sandowrimo_checkin/

His final word count was 51k, on top of a book launch, a family vacation and a bunch of other stuff. Another 50k words to go to finish off the 1.0 draft of Defiant and then he's going into Stormlight 5. I'm looking very much forward to the State of the Sanderson next week. I wonder how many surprises will be in there this time.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I only watched the first WoT episode but it had a braid tug in the first three minutes so I assume the rest of the show is very close to the books

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Louisgod posted:

I like Sanderson a lot and have read basically everything he's put out, but I only made it up to book 7 of WoT. I found that I just didn't like the characters, and the story seemed to meander.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Narmi posted:

I like Sanderson a lot and have read basically everything he's put out, but I only made it up to book 7 of WoT. I found that I just didn't like the characters, and the story seemed to meander.

That's one of the major criticisms of the series: It drags badly from about the point you're at until the 11th book. It's a lot of dead weight; it could probably be condensed to about two books without losing anything valuable.

Sanderson wrote books 12-14 and cut the meandering.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Weekly update: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-87GZw8tQDE

Key highlights:
  • Alcatraz 6 is coming out at last. From memory, he didn't have to do a whole lot to get it to publication ready status, because it's from Bastion's POV so it is a co-written project where somebody else was going over the character's voice to give it a different feel to Alcatraz
  • Defiant 1.0 draft is two thirds complete - apparently it's not the end of the world if he doesn't finish by the end of the year? I'm guessing that's because he did a bunch of work on the Stormlight 5 outline when he was outlining Stormlight 4, so perhaps he doesn't need to move on to Stormlight 5 on 1 Jan
  • Sanderson is finally thinking about going on Patreon - the currently contemplated backer reward is video annotations of his work :aaaaa:
  • Lost Metal is up for preorder! Preorder links here: https://read.macmillan.com/lp/the-lost-metal-by-brandon-sanderson/

My mind is still being blown by the Patreon thing and I will likely have to do a whole react video unpacking it.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Me imagining my wifes face.
"What is this $500 monthly patreon bill for?"

mewse
May 2, 2006

White Chocolate posted:

Me imagining my wifes face.
"What is this $500 monthly patreon bill for?"

“Pornography”

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
"You know how I like to eat metal shavings and yell 'I BURN PEWTER!' as I'm raking leaves?"

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

I’ll be honest - I voted “No” on the Patreon poll. While I love reading the old annotations on his site and would have no issue paying $5 a month for more, Brandon himself pointed out that Patreon is meant more for smaller creators, and the idea of an artist who can support their art (especially at his level of success) through other means being on the site doesn’t sit right with me.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
For me Patreon is great for writers, or creators in general, who need support because they don't have an advance or a monthly paycheck. And who release their work in installments, usually as they write, to keep patrons interested.

For Sanderson it seems unnecessary, he's (I would assume) financially secure, and if you want to support him you can just buys hos books. It's not like anything he writes is going to do poorly sales-wise.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Part of me wonders whether big names getting into Patreon is good or bad for the smaller names. Because it's possible they could 'crowd out' smaller creators by hogging the attention, but it's also possible that they grow the platform as a whole.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Yeah the whole point is to support people who have no reliable means of generating a livable paycheck out of what they produce, but have people who want to support them.

A very popular and successful artist with a small mountain of financialized products available for sale is not the point. I give a small amount to a lot of people on patreon, but I wouldn't give to Sanderson - I am already buying what he's selling.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Finished Cytonic. Felt like I barely remembered anything from the previous book.

The reveal that the delvers are emotionally damaged AIs disappointed me, with the constant description that they exist outside of time. Was expecting something Arrival-esque. With the reveal, they don't exist outside of time, they just hate it, which diminishes their other-ness.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

MildShow posted:

I’ll be honest - I voted “No” on the Patreon poll. While I love reading the old annotations on his site and would have no issue paying $5 a month for more, Brandon himself pointed out that Patreon is meant more for smaller creators, and the idea of an artist who can support their art (especially at his level of success) through other means being on the site doesn’t sit right with me.

Narmi posted:

For me Patreon is great for writers, or creators in general, who need support because they don't have an advance or a monthly paycheck. And who release their work in installments, usually as they write, to keep patrons interested.

For Sanderson it seems unnecessary, he's (I would assume) financially secure, and if you want to support him you can just buys hos books. It's not like anything he writes is going to do poorly sales-wise.

Taffer posted:

Yeah the whole point is to support people who have no reliable means of generating a livable paycheck out of what they produce, but have people who want to support them.

A very popular and successful artist with a small mountain of financialized products available for sale is not the point. I give a small amount to a lot of people on patreon, but I wouldn't give to Sanderson - I am already buying what he's selling.

That was the overwhelming reaction in the comments section of his YouTube video too, which on the whole I thought discussed all of the nuances involved reasonably well.

I didn't want to repeat anything that had already been stated so I tried to contribute a different perspective instead.

The video turned out way longer than I thought it would be: https://youtu.be/5Gyri9QxzY0

Cicero posted:

Part of me wonders whether big names getting into Patreon is good or bad for the smaller names. Because it's possible they could 'crowd out' smaller creators by hogging the attention, but it's also possible that they grow the platform as a whole.

I didn't get to directly address this in the video because it was already getting too long, but my gut is that they would grow the platform. The market for readers is not a zero sum game when you look at it from a market level perspective and over time, instead of from an individual's perspective at one specific point in time.

Leng fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 17, 2021

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
State of the Sanderson is up:

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2021/

There is no mention regarding the recent poll on annotations :v:

Key highlights:

[The Lost Metal] was a longer write than the other Wax and Wayne books, as I increased the book-length by 50% (and gave the story a little more outlining time) to make certain to wrap up things in style.

:eyepop: well November 2022 can't come soon enough.

After getting that second Wax and Wayne draft done, there were just a lot of little things demanding my attention that I’d been putting off. Some Wheel of Time scripts, some work on the various film projects for my other series, and loose ends of various other things I needed to do.

Two months of loose ends with film projects??? Scrolling down to the section on film projects, there doesn't seem to be a lot of movement. Mistborn film, Stormlight TV series are still where they were.

Stormlight Five starting in January, with a target for a Christmas 2023 release. (It could end up coming out in the spring of 2024, depending on how difficult a write it is.) Also, I will very likely do a Rock novella as part of the Words of Radiance leatherbound kickstarter in the summer of 2023.

I wonder if the planned title will still be Horneater. I'm also kind of hoping for a 2024 release for Stormlight 5 (KoW) because Christmas 2023 doesn't seem to be long enough to my rereads, since my available reading time is going to be significantly reduced going forward.

Janci and I had a lot of fun working together on the novellas. Our plan was to do another set of them between books three and four, but the timing was tight on these first ones–and that was a tad stressful. So we’re now working on doing some follow-ups to the first four-book series. We’ve brought on Darci Cole, an excellent writer and one of the beta readers on the Skyward series, as a co-writer as well.

Together, we’re deciding where to take the Cytoverse and what the right things will be to bring to you after Defiant is done. There will be more, but Book Four also involves some major changes and interesting turns. So I won’t say more now, other than that if you love the series, I can promise you more is coming.

Sanderson levels up with bringing on another new writer to write in Cytoverse spin-offs. What's super interesting is that Darci Cole looks like a self-pub author and evidently must have made an impression during the beta readers for Skyward. She has one book out in an 8 book series - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ZC77WV9/.

Now I am SUPER CURIOUS as to whether further Cytoverse spin-offs are going to be Sanderson's foray into self-publishing.

In 2022, I’m going to try doing something new–writing prose on Stormlight in the afternoon session, then doing revisions on Mistborn in the evening session. I’m curious whether this works for me, and if so, whether it’s better or worse for my pace and my enjoyment of the process.

This is interesting, because he normally doesn't simultaneously work on new prose and revisions at the same time. I'm gonna be curious too as to whether this is going to pan out for him. That's a lot of cognitive load to juggle.

We should have the graphic novel omnibus coming at you sometime in the near future...We’ve spent a lot of time making it the quintessential White Sand graphic novel experience, updating text and dialogue to be more in line with the Cosmere. There are 38 new pages at the beginning, revised text and art throughout, a new map and glossary, and fourteen Ars Arcanum pages.

I hope these updates get flowed through to the digital versions of the individual graphic novels.

I’ve been working on a video game for several years, and I suspect it will be announced this year. So, commence speculation! (Note: it’s not for one of my properties, but something new that I built with them. It’s a game company many of you will have heard of, but probably not the one you’re thinking about right now. Not that other one either.)

What??? Can someone decipher this? I mean, not that we guessed Kelsier in Fortnite last time either, but still.

Speaking of our online store, we have rebranded and are now Dragonsteel Books! You will still receive the same great service and products, but we are positioning ourselves to continue to grow and provide a wider array of products in future years. Watch our social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) for announcements of new products and events, restocks on your favorite products, and more! We might have some fun surprises in store!

One of our proudest moments of the year was Dragonsteel 2021, the first multi-day event held in conjunction with the release of Cytonic, the third installment of Brandon’s Cytoverse series. We had two days of games, panels with experts and fans, live painting sessions, puzzles, cosplay, and exhibitors from Brandon-affiliated authors, artists, and partner vendors. We look forward to doing something like this again—stay tuned for future announcements!

With this and the extensive list of licensees plus Cytoverse developments, I'm calling it now. Sanderson has plans to become the next Marvel.

We’ll be occasionally doing more of these types of giveaways, so if you don’t want to miss one, be sure to follow Brandon across all his social channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube). YouTube in particular is the best place to keep a close eye on what Brandon’s working on. So if you’re interested in following that, be sure to subscribe there. If you only want to know about the big stuff that’s happening, subscribing to his newsletter is probably the best option for you, as we only send a few out each year.

Looks like Sanderson is shifting from Twitter to YouTube as his primary author platform. Reddit is not mentioned but given how many fan communities exist there, I assume he'll still hang out there for direct engagement. Interesting!

Fall 2021: Skyward 3
Spring 2022: Alcatraz 6
Fall 2022: Wax and Wayne 4
Spring/Summer 2023: Skyward 4
Fall 2023: Stormlight 5

Well, I got Skyward 3 out, and have finished Wax and Wayne 4 and am close to finishing Skyward 4. The only change there that seems likely is that Alcatraz 6 is come out at the very end of summer, and the first five Alcatraz books are getting a rerelease first. Adding in a few other things, my release schedule looks like this:

December 28th: Evershore (the third Skyward novella) ebook and audio

January: The Original ebook

February: Dawnshard audiobook [THIS IS NOT FIRM]

April: Skyward Flight hardcover collection

May: Alcatraz 1 paperback rerelease

June: Legion: Death and Faxes, Alcatraz 2 paperback

July: Lux (Reckoners) ebook, Alcatraz 3 paperback

August: Alcatraz 4 paperback

September: Bastille vs. the Evil Librarians (Alcatraz 6), in hardcover, ebook, and audio; Alcatraz 5 paperback

October: Dark One: Forgotten audio

November: The Lost Metal (Wax and Wayne 4), in hardcover, ebook, and audio

Every single title I've bolded is a co-authored one, and I am really curious about the extent of the co-authoring, who is contributing what to the outline and who is contributing what prose. Assuming he chooses his co-writers well, I suspect that, like the Skyward Flight books, I'll be happy to pick up the co-authored books (so long as the prose isn't super jarring in style) though I probably won't dive into things like the audio originals or the weirder non-Cosmere spin-offs.

AFAIK, Isaac (his art director) is the only one who's allowed to write Cosmere stuff (see the broadsheets in Wax & Wayne).

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Leng posted:

What??? Can someone decipher this? I mean, not that we guessed Kelsier in Fortnite last time either, but still.

no idea what he's teasing but I imagine the reference is to GRRM consulting on Elden Ring for FromSoft?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Also, "will be announced this year"?? As in 2021??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

eke out posted:

no idea what he's teasing but I imagine the reference is to GRRM consulting on Elden Ring for FromSoft?

I think he's just saying it's a mid-tier publisher, so not like Ubisoft, or Microsoft. epic would be out since he already did work with them (so not an infinity blade re-release or something)