Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Man they put a lot of work into reality show show, especially compared to Hollywood handbook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Terror Sweat posted:

Man they put a lot of work into reality show show, especially compared to Hollywood handbook

That's a big part of why they stopped doing it. Possibly an even bigger reason than nobody was listening.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Consummate Professional posted:

Reality show show is so fun, the boys are figuring out their personas but they are super assholes from the jump.

Sean is a super rear end in a top hat, I don't think it's a persona.

Like you know how people say someone has a face for radio? Sean has a personality for podcasting.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

personally i'd describe him as nice

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
A sweetie, perhaps.

After years of listening I don't think Sean is an rear end in a top hat. But I do think the comes off to everyone as an rear end in a top hat because of his cold and removed demeanor and emotionally distanced interaction style using humor as a deflectionary tactic. Lest we forget that multiple people gave speeches at his wedding that they thought he didn't like them when they first met.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

sean's absolutely horrendous personality is actually a medical condition

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

i can't imagine anyone who has that story about him helping out that guy move the RV he was living out of to be that much of an rear end in a top hat

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I do acknowledge the boys are total sweeties. I love them and I am in love with them. They are just really good at sounding like dicks

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Listening to an old Pro Version where Sean talks about making Kevin getting him a Stitcher sweatshirt that he felt entitled to, and his wife's response of "You're such a piece of poo poo"

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

feedmyleg posted:

A sweetie, perhaps.

After years of listening I don't think Sean is an rear end in a top hat. But I do think the comes off to everyone as an rear end in a top hat because of his cold and removed demeanor and emotionally distanced interaction style using humor as a deflectionary tactic. Lest we forget that multiple people gave speeches at his wedding that they thought he didn't like them when they first met.

I think it's this as well. I believe that he's mentioned it during HH before as well. Or maybe in an appearance on another show. Possibly during his appearance on The Need To Fail?

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

eke out posted:

the first moment i remember it totally clicking is where they cut together a big montage of how top chef judges were super racist to sheldon (make any kind of asian food and it's "playing it safe," make european food and it's "not him" even when it's good) and both of them get legitimately mad

i just finished listening to them all, it was worth it

They were super pissed off at The Bachelor forcing a one-armed contestant to do rollerskating, very rightfully so.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

The same old same old—"These characters are unlikable", "This is all too vague", "Why would the Engineers want to do this?", etc. Nitpicking the surface level stuff so much that they never got beneath it.

I think that saying "If you're going to make a high-brow speculative sci-fi film that's asking big questions, don't tell that story with the absolutely dumbest characters" is a legitimate criticism. Ignoring that the story is about scientists from various fields of study, the characters do ridiculously stupid things, and the characters contradict themselves. That's why they were easier on Covenant, because it dropped the speculative approach and just made an adventure film out of it. They both ranked Prometheus higher, they both think it's the better film that Covenant. It's more interesting discussing how the movie failed or fumbled than how it succeeded, which is the opposite of their style usually, but is really appropriate for Prometheus when comparing it to the context of the franchise it's in. Alien and Aliens got basically perfect ratings from them, and it's the original director back to the franchise with carte blanche, and he hosed up in interesting ways.

They may have missed a few interesting things to talk about, but I don't know how much deeper they really need to dig into Prometheus's themes. "How can someone have faith when they find the origin of their faith is a lie" is a pretty heady topic for them to get into.

boxcarhobo posted:

i can't imagine anyone who has that story about him helping out that guy move the RV he was living out of to be that much of an rear end in a top hat

Sean definitely has an issue with being snarky or pointed towards someone before he catches himself. He was a guest on some podcast where he talked about Bosch, and he told the story about going to their favorite local pet store to get food. They ask for the pet's name when you check out, for a reward system I guess, and the cashier said "Oh! I didn't realize that's how you spelled 'Bosch'." Sean couldn't help but gently caress with her and say "I can't imagine any other way of spelling it." or maybe tried to make her think of "other names with a silent letter like in 'Bosch'." He left the store and called his wife and said "Well, I can never go back to the pet store."

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 1, 2021

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
This Reality Show Show talk made me want to relisten to the day in the life of Stupid Kevin Smith from the “That’s My Fanclub” episode.

The episode starts strong with smarmy reviews of Movie 43, but then 14 minutes in Hayes makes a really unfortunate trans joke. It was jarring, even for 2013.

The rest of the episode was great, and it ends with an interview with a reality star they seem to genuinely like, but yeesh.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

being sober is hard, sean is allowed to be a snippy little bitch with people

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Just spent like an hour trying to hunt down a joke I remember PFT making about Max Baucus. Might not have even been an Earwolf show! Anyone else remember this? Am I crazy?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Alikchi posted:

Just spent like an hour trying to hunt down a joke I remember PFT making about Max Baucus. Might not have even been an Earwolf show! Anyone else remember this? Am I crazy?
an episode of comedy bang bang where he was playing andrew lloyd weber and was writing a musical about passing obamacare. don't remember what episode but this should help get you there

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Devonaut posted:

Sean is a super rear end in a top hat, I don't think it's a persona.

Like you know how people say someone has a face for radio? Sean has a personality for podcasting.

Definitely a huge rear end in a top hat. That's why he's been a working TV writer for the better part of a decade. When showrunners hire people with whom they're going to spend 9-12 hours locked in a room, they're looking for jerks.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

WerthersWay posted:

Definitely a huge rear end in a top hat. That's why he's been a working TV writer for the better part of a decade. When showrunners hire people with whom they're going to spend 9-12 hours locked in a room, they're looking for jerks.

I don't know, it seems like exactly the kind of environment where someone could get away with being an rear end in a top hat as long as they're funny.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Sean is not an rear end in a top hat in terms of his behavior but he is an rear end in a top hat in his conversational style which is fine. I like those kinds of people much better than the reverse.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If we're psychoanalyzing our favorite podcasters here, my guess is that he's someone whose first reaction to things is probably pretty dickish whether comedic or not, which doesn't help with first impressions, but that he mostly tries not to actually be an rear end in a top hat even if it comes easily. But I'm not his friend in real life so that's just a guess.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Bosch thinks he's nice so that's all that matters.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

WerthersWay posted:

re: he a bad man
Sean got all TV writers banned from taking cameos on Fox shows.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

GoutPatrol posted:

re: he a bad man
Sean got all TV writers banned from taking cameos on Fox shows.

What? How?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

SpacePig posted:

What? How?

Carl Tart mentioned on an episode of Spont that Fox had established a rule that writers couldn't have speaking parts on their own shows anymore after Sean played the Dean on an episode of Making History. No further explanation, but it apparently rubbed someone at the network the wrong way.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I love the first two episodes of Making History and really wish the show had stuck with the premise of the two guys going back to colonial times just making things worse and worse like a series of idiotic dominos.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Leighton Meestor really impressed me on that show; I thought she was great.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Sinteres posted:

I don't know, it seems like exactly the kind of environment where someone could get away with being an rear end in a top hat as long as they're funny.

It's really not. There's literally hundreds of funny people competing for every one comedy writing job. "You have to pass an rear end in a top hat test with the showrunner in your interview" or "this is a really small town, word gets around if you suck in a room" aren't just sayings, they're true.

But sure, Sean is a huge rear end in a top hat. And Nick and Mitch actually hate each other, it's not a bit! They want to kill each other because they disagree on fast food opinions.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The thing about auckerman being a dick is real though

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Well well well. Parking Lot Scott back in the news.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i dont think scotts a dick but i do believe he's weird

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
the best subplot of threedom is learning more and more about how insane his parents are

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Whenever Handbook leaving Earwolf comes up on CBB lately, Scott asks "Do they ever drop the schtick? Because they haven't around me." And I laugh every time.

Farg posted:

There's a bit in Lauren Lapkus' WTF episode where Maron has a chuckle about seeing Scott in public and how it always take a bit for him to loosen up, even around people he knows.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Riptor posted:

the best subplot of threedom is learning more and more about how insane his parents are

Scott's childhood is a truly bizarre ball of yarn

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Farg posted:

He's talked about it before in context of meeting fans on tour/in public. He's introverted and freezes up from being anxious. It's having Lapkus and PFT (and Gabrus) around that helps keep him loose and friendly when meeting strangers.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Riptor posted:

Paul Scheer's family history went from being funny at first, to kind of genuinely horrifying to the point I'm kind of surprised he's still close to his mother.

Speaking of HDTGM, the recent episodes on Jade and Lawnmower Man 2 were pretty good. Just the three hosts, in-studio, no guests, and actually being relaxed, plus really ridiculous movies they were clearly enjoying digging into. Was like being back in the show's prime days.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Parking Lot Scott is folklore, like the split face woman

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Probably already posted this but have heard second hand of weird interactions that could either be awkward or rude. Maybe a mix of both, but you don’t get to his level without any people skills.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

I think Scott is a big nerd that loves being able to collect records without having to worry about paying rent. He's obviously funny and personable but that can't be sustainable all the time.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Consummate Professional posted:

I think Scott is a big nerd that loves being able to collect records without having to worry about paying rent. He's obviously funny and personable but that can't be sustainable all the time.

He's what now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Scott Awkwardman