Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

edit: whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Serephina posted:

I thought the game was brilliant. But for some reason I can't push myself to start another run after my win - it just seems like so much effort. Same with Renown Explorers. FTL, otoh, I have banked hundreds of hours. I'm not sure why there's a difference =/

Invisible Inc is pretty slow compared to those.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sounds good. I just got my Father's Day sushi lunch torpedoed by my 2 year old daughter and feasted on last night's taco salad instead, which I don't really mind, but is all the excuse I need to get Invisible Inc out of my wishlist and onto my hard drive. I hope its one of those games that keeps unfolding, y'know?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Poison Mushroom posted:

After tooling around and toying a whole bunch, Godsrune just had another major evolution. It is now, among other things, a Tactical Zelda-Inspired Roguelike. Combat takes place in fairly compact spaces, where facing matters and every enemy has a consistent pattern and gimmick.

So, Zelda as raised by Hoplite, I guess.

It's very interesting to read about your ideas for making this a consumable-heavy game, considering that after you posted that we learned that the new Zelda is going to rely heavily on quickly consumed weapons.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

doctorfrog posted:

Long term opinions on Invisible Inc.? I'm sure it's a good game, but I'm kind of in the mood for a great game.

imho higher alarm levels are kind of a huge slog, it's the worst kind of roguelike high level scaling. just imho though

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nickoten posted:

It's very interesting to read about your ideas for making this a consumable-heavy game, considering that after you posted that we learned that the new Zelda is going to rely heavily on quickly consumed weapons.

think original zelda

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Tollymain posted:

think original zelda

I'm confused, the original zelda wasn't really like that? You had bombs and arrows, but you also had your good ol' infinite use sword.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Justin_Brett posted:

Invisible Inc is pretty slow compared to those.

I wonder if there's a setting or a mod for it and I just didn't look closely enough but yeah, it's another case of animations taking too drat long. (Read: any time at all.)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nickoten posted:

I'm confused, the original zelda wasn't really like that? You had bombs and arrows, but you also had your good ol' infinite use sword.

i just mean that it's not really inspired by or related to the upcoming zelda, the elements that borrow from loz are borrowing from the early games

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

Long term opinions on Invisible Inc.? I'm sure it's a good game, but I'm kind of in the mood for a great game.

I like it a great deal. If you want to play a tense stealth game with cyberpunk flavor then yes.

Only turn based game that I found myself playing at 4am that made me literally sweat as I was calculating my next move.

Very good ost.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Tollymain posted:

i just mean that it's not really inspired by or related to the upcoming zelda, the elements that borrow from loz are borrowing from the early games

I wasn't trying to say that at all, but rather pointing out the coincidence of her going for a consumable-heavy game, and also the new Zelda going in that (previously lesser explored by the series) direction. That's why I mentioned how it's funny that this was announced for the new Zelda after she made that post.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 20, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nickoten posted:

I wasn't trying to say that at all, but rather pointing out the coincidence of her going for a consumable-heavy game, and also the new Zelda going in that (previously lesser explored by the series) direction. That's why I mentioned how it's funny that this was announced for the new Zelda after she made that post.

oh, misread your first post a little then

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Invisible Inc. an hour in is making an awfully good impression.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

doctorfrog posted:

Invisible Inc. an hour in is making an awfully good impression.

It gets even better on harder difficulties! I ran a whole game in the easiest difficulty at first, didn't get why the game was hyped so much, and moved up in difficulty - and the game became a live wire.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
If you, for some reason, hate our outrageously good ASCIIish-stylin', Creator of the popular C:DDA tileset is making a crazy mod tileset for Qud.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/333640/discussions/0/358415206093329635/

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Unormal posted:

If you, for some reason, hate our outrageously good ASCIIish-stylin', Creator of the popular C:DDA tileset is making a crazy mod tileset for Qud.

Hot drat, that looks good. But I really like the post-nuclear fuzz terminal style too.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 20, 2016

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I like it a lot, for some reason reminds me of the Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup tiles.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Is there a Hoplite forum anywhere? I've gotten on a Hoplite kick- I can pretty reliably win but don't feel like I'm really being super-strategic with builds, and usually can't do more than another level or two past 16 if I try. Lately I've been trying to get the "no damage" achievement. Closest I got was killing everything on DL15, but last demon was on a 1 tile Island. I killed it by throwing my spear, then realized you can't descend without your spear in hand. I jumped onto the island to retrieve it, and realized I only had 49 energy left and couldn't jump back off... :suicide:

Anyway, would be interested to read a little about builds and how to use them.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Unormal posted:

That looks awesome. I do like the normal CoQ tileset but for some reason I kinda find it hard to read. This looks like a nice alternative.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Eh, the Chesthole tileset was great in C:DDA because that's mostly stuff that if you glance at it is immediately readable because most of the equipment in that is stuff from day to day life. Qud is a bit more grimly fantastical so I always thought it looked better as it was.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there were some comments about how it looks a little lifeless compared to what people thought of qud in their heads, and so the maker changed the brown of the ground in joppa to a more blue-ish color

it's sorta better but i'm still not a huge fan of the tileset

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Yeah, I have to say, as someone who uses tilesets in every roguelike they've ever played and likes a ToME-style presentation, I weirdly prefer Qud being mostly left to the imagination.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I dunno, I think that tileset looks pretty great. At least it's nice to have it as an option.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
I've been plugging away at a "new" roguelike prototype these last few weeks.

(It's actually based on an old, old project of mine.)

Brainstorming world generation now. I want to give the world a bit more of an organic feel than Deathstate. Anybody have some hot tips on any algorithms that I just have to look at?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

cowboy roguelike? cool

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zaodai posted:

I dunno, I think that tileset looks pretty great. At least it's nice to have it as an option.

i definitely don't have any beef with it existing or anything, mostly it just made me realize why the game's base tileset is so good.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Awesome! posted:

cowboy roguelike? cool

Mars Cowboy Roguelike, actually. We started colonizing, but the economy went to poo poo, y'know.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

superh posted:

Mars Cowboy Roguelike, actually. We started colonizing, but the economy went to poo poo, y'know.

Cowboy Beboplike roguelike or :getout:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

superh posted:

Shades of Martian Dreams. Sometimes you've just got to hunt Rasputin down and shoot him with an M60.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
I know, I gotta do my research, but this is literally the only thing I remember:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QadhPRU0Dn8

Seems like a good event

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

superh posted:

Brainstorming world generation now. I want to give the world a bit more of an organic feel than Deathstate. Anybody have some hot tips on any algorithms that I just have to look at?

Perlin Noise?

The usual trick is to do some basic climatology stuff, like have a perlin map for elevation, some kind of crude model for rain shadows, etc. Even on Mars, the basic physics of atmosphere and water won't have changed much.

(I should try to maul out that Gunslinger Hoplite thing I was chewing on a while ago, before it gets any staler in my brain)

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

drink_bleach posted:

So with no game development experience whatsoever I decided I'd take an eight hour work day and try to write as much of a roguelike as I could. Kinda neat how many resources were out there to get started, downloaded a free sprite set, used a dungeon generation library from github then threw the whole thing inside Phaser then threw that inside Electron.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2w1072dmm7m4x9k/roguelike-thing-v1.0.0-win32-x64.exe?dl=0

Mashing the button changes the biome, your character, and the type of dungeon.

It's not very close to a finished game, but as a thought experiment it's interesting, and if I ever actually had the time maybe I could try 7DRL in the future, although I don't have any interesting ideas or mechanics to explore so does the world need another derivative dungeon crawler.
I love this post.

superh posted:

I love this post.

Please everyone make roguelikes all the time.

Also, mine is on a 1-day sale today (22 June) for an even lower than Steam Sale price, if'n you want it: https://www.chrono.gg/

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

madjackmcmad posted:

Please everyone make roguelikes all the time.

As much as I love roguelikes I despise programming. Mostly because I've been doing it 40 hours a week for like 17 years now. Takes the fun right out of it really, as much as I'd like to start a career in game development I like regular paychecks way too much to take that plunge and after work burnout is real. Soul crushing programming for life brother.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

LordSaturn posted:

Perlin Noise?

The usual trick is to do some basic climatology stuff, like have a perlin map for elevation, some kind of crude model for rain shadows, etc. Even on Mars, the basic physics of atmosphere and water won't have changed much.

(I should try to maul out that Gunslinger Hoplite thing I was chewing on a while ago, before it gets any staler in my brain)

This is where I kinda landed last night. Going to do a few passes - one for basic world geometry, one (at least) for "biomes" within the geometry, and maybe more passes for vegetation and garbage like that. Then drill over it to add parts with some "man made" feel.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

drink_bleach posted:

As much as I love roguelikes I despise programming. Mostly because I've been doing it 40 hours a week for like 17 years now. Takes the fun right out of it really, as much as I'd like to start a career in game development I like regular paychecks way too much to take that plunge and after work burnout is real. Soul crushing programming for life brother.

I have what is basically the opposite problem. I keep telling myself I'm going to expand my (fairly rudimentary) programming knowledge from college by working towards making a simple roguelike, because I find it easier to learn if I'm actually working towards a goal rather than just following a lesson. Then I get home from work at midnight and have no energy to do anything intellectually constructive.

I would love to make a simple little Wuxia styled roguelike. One of these days!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

drink_bleach posted:

I think I'm at 12 years of game dev programming, and 15 of coding for a living. The last four were indie though, and 2015 was actually 50% convalescing from a total life implosion so that took some heat off the Burnout Meter. But I love coding, as much as I love the things I do for fun. I'm very fortunate in that regard and I will never take it for granted.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I have a few game ideas but programming annoys me to no end. Not the actual programming, but the debugging of it. Did a couple classes back in my High School days and I ran into the problem of 'one day to program something, one week to debug it so it actually works 100% the way it's supposed to.'

... Then again that was really basic stuff and I wasn't allowed to use handy debug tools (unless I wrote them myself.)

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

EponymousMrYar posted:

I have a few game ideas but programming annoys me to no end. Not the actual programming, but the debugging of it. Did a couple classes back in my High School days and I ran into the problem of 'one day to program something, one week to debug it so it actually works 100% the way it's supposed to.'

... Then again that was really basic stuff and I wasn't allowed to use handy debug tools (unless I wrote them myself.)

No, tools won't really help, programming is almost entirely debugging always.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yep, can confirm. I think of programming as being like a science:

1. This poo poo don't work.
2. Why doesn't it work? Let's make a hypothesis.
3. Test hypothesis.
4. Discover hypothesis is wrong
5. Come up with new hypothesis.
6. Goto 3.
7. Discover valid hypothesis.
8. Fix bug.
9. Publish results.

See? Computer programming is 8/9ths identical to science! :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008