Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

I'm starting to come around on the Chris Pratt hate.

The dude has some serious comedy chops and was great in Parks and Rec, but these leading action man roles he's been taking on recently are just duds.

He's no Sam Worthington, he boy can legit act but it's weird seeing trajectories suddenly take an up-hill direction and become hell-bent on fitting a square peg in a round hole.

I miss the pudgy dude who could crack me up with just a look.

He was good playing the villian in The Kid which was a western that no one saw. I think there is just a glut of in shape white men that can do action and comedy right now and aside from Guardians he really hasn't done anything that interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There was rumors of him being eyed for an Indiana Jones reboot as one point. I hated that idea even before all the cult poo poo came out. Of course I hate the idea of a reboot in general.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t think that was ever more than just uninspired fan casting.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Payndz posted:

"Hey, we can make our CG characters do anything!"
[They make their CG characters do everything]

Not a problem limited to JW, unfortunately.

I've worked on a few movies like this, and the culprit tends to be when a director who doesn't have a lot of experience with large scale visual effects gets worried that the super rough animation they're seeing is underwhelming, or they notice that they're no longer being thrilled by an action sequence after seeing it every day for several months, and they start overcompensating by throwing more and more things into shots to make the sequences exciting again, and coming up with brand new ones that have impossible CG cameras that look nothing like anything else in the movie.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

AceOfFlames posted:

It’s quite telling that the Star-Lord in the just announced GotG video game looks as far from Pratt as you can get. Sure, it’s likely more due to rights issues but Rocket, Groot, Gamora and Drax’s designs are still clearly inspired from but distinct from their movie counterparts while Peter Quill’s clearly isn’t apart from his mask.

The character designs are all taken from Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning's run on GotG, fitting since Abnett is consulting on on the game. It just happens that they were the ones that created the team makeup that was used for the movie.

There a few others on the team from the run like Mantis and Bug but Mantis appears in the game and Bug's usage rights are murky since Marvel shares ownership of him with Hasbro since he was created for a toy tie in comic.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 22, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m watching parks and rec again and I miss funny Chris Pratt.

He’s just a bland leading man. He needs to be weird, stupid and funny not sarcastic.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I know it’s not exactly proper to say, but Chris Pratt needs to be chubby again. He needs to be a big goofy schlubby dude who bounces off the standard straight-edge leading man/woman in a comedy. The closest he’s come to pulling off a leading man role is Guardians, but even there he’s still overshadowed by the rest of the cast.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He needs to not play leading men who are cool and badass. It just doesn’t work. Owen Grady is an awful awful character. I hate him.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
He's the alpha

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
we need to get weird with the series

half human half dino hybrids ala the Aliens series

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Didn't the second JW do that? I don't know for sure because JW turned me off enough that I will never watch another movie by that creative team.

Either way, you know a franchise is bankrupt for ideas when they go back to the well of "What old discarded and rejected junk do we have laying around that we can reuse?" The John Sayles draft that stuff came from was total horseshit.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The second Jurassic World also introduced clones of dead children and Hammond's long lost brother.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

This movie fuckin' rules if anyone here hasn't seen it. Strong soundtrack, very well shot, impressive direction and acting considering how every single performer has to be kind of facing the screen a little bit to deliver sign language. And the story being about him being conflicted between realizing who he is vs. his devout faith in Catholicism is done pretty well too.

The papier mache nose is some dumb bullshit, tho.

Edit: Chris Pratt: Besides going back to being a chubby funny dude, he should also quit it with the homophobia.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 22, 2021

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Jurassic Park is my go-to example of how pervasive CGI has come to completely ruin the movie experience.

The special effects from the original have aged very well, the velociraptor scene in the kitchen looks as though it could have been shot yesterday.

Exhibit A-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnRxQ3dcaQk

The lighting, the presence, it feels real and the tension is real because these animals are rendered convincingly.

Exhibit B-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q97r7TbmUTU

If anything, the technical expertise between these two shots has noticeably regressed in time. Where are the innovations that 22 years should have afforded?

The Jurassic World raptors look like cartoons. it's hard to feel threatened over a vacuous nothing that's obviously added in post. Art and technology are both iterative processes, seeing progress being made before your eyes is gratifying and a big part of the cinema draw.

The thought that there are people walking around who hold the belief that the original Jurassic Park is equal to the crap they're selling now just steams my hams.
The second scene does look like a piece of crap for a 2015 major blockbuster lol. It reminded me of Beast Wars.

The direction is also unmistakably worse -- the dinosaurs and Chris Pratt are rarely in the same frame, it keeps cutting back and forth like a talk show.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Didn't the second JW do that? I don't know for sure because JW turned me off enough that I will never watch another movie by that.

No, what we got was the Indomnius Rex on a smaller scale with a velociraptor hybrid doing the job a Hellfire missile can do for twenty times the price and a quarter of the effectiveness.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

honestly JW 2 could have been decent if they just made it "Eat the Rich" the movie but it eats like...3 of them?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Jurassic Park 4 from the early 2000's seemed to be going this way.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Robot Style posted:

Dinosapien: "Maaaaa.....maaaaa"

Simone Biles: *Kickflips them into La Brea Tar Pits*

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Robot Style posted:

The middle one has some serious Mr Burns energy.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Alan Smithee posted:

Give the next one to Tim Burton and have make Dinosaurs Attack!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, we can just have him do that anyway. I'm in.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1407359020747403269

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/nayadontgiveaf/status/1407144220167606279?s=20

https://twitter.com/ScaredBisexual/status/1407216226762428418?s=20

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Give the next one to Tim Burton and have make Dinosaurs Attack!

Okay but can we find someone who would actually make it an awesome movie and not whatever the hell Burton has been pumping out for a decade now. If we can go back to 1996 and kidnap that Burton after releasing Mars Attacks, then we'll have an amazing Dinosaurs Attack! movie.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Michael Dougherty would be a good choice I think.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Me watching the trailer: that movie better not be called Karen

*spews all over phone*

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I saw this a few days ago and only just realized now that it's not a parody trailer. The main character looks like a character from Saturday Night Live. Also the trailer is indistinguishable from a sketch on Saturday Night Live.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Are there a lot of people saying this? I don't feel like I've ever seen anyone hold Jurassic World up on a pedestal the way that people try to say Last Jedi is the best Star Wars or whatever. I feel like there's not even a lot of sustained discussion period about the new movies, even with the Netflix cartoon tie-in.

If anything I feel like Treverrow himself is still discussed more for The Book of Henry and for his unproduced Star Wars script.

what did that script look like. was it funny?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Alan Smithee posted:

Dinosapien: "Maaaaa.....maaaaa"

Simone Biles: *Kickflips them into La Brea Tar Pits*

Not the mama!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Shageletic posted:

It's available online if you want to find it. It's called "Duel of the Fates," it definitely had some problems, especially in the second half (and it was only a first draft, and was written before Carrie Fisher died) but without a doubt, even with its problems, it was better than the actual IX story. It actually felt like it tied not only the sequels, but all the movies, together. Now, whether the final movie would have been better, who knows, but would be hard not to be.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Shageletic posted:

No more than any other Star Wars movie. It was "funny" in how obviously he was writing Poe as his self-insert OC, so had him quip about video game controls and had a sequence where Poe and Rey did a "if we pretend to make out then the stormtroopers won't see us" thing.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

https://www.papermag.com/white-women-fake-cry-tiktok-2653410465.html?rebelltitem=18#rebelltitem18

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
#breadceumbs

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vincent posted:

The papier mache nose is some dumb bullshit, tho.

Edit: Chris Pratt: Besides going back to being a chubby funny dude, he should also quit it with the homophobia.

I was gonna say, I didn’t realize fat and funny would negate the fact that he associates and supports bigots, guess I didn’t realize that was an aesthetic that could just be glossed over.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

the trailer tweet got deleted

https://twitter.com/SolaceCinema/status/1407304124501274626?s=20

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Karen is Get Out as written by Garth Marenghi.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Robot Style posted:

No more than any other Star Wars movie. It was "funny" in how obviously he was writing Poe as his self-insert OC, so had him quip about video game controls and had a sequence where Poe and Rey did a "if we pretend to make out then the stormtroopers won't see us" thing.

Yeah there's a very weird bit with him trying to have Poe flirty and interested in Rey though they barely met in TFA and had no interaction in TLJ.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Karen is Get Out as written by Garth Marenghi.

Put Karen and that movie about conservatives being hunted by SJWs together for a very miserable double feature.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Conservatives and liberals terrorize and hunt each other and it turns out it was all a big misunderstanding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ruddiger posted:

Put Karen and that movie about conservatives being hunted by SJWs together for a very miserable double feature.

What about the action movie Ben Shapiro bought and released where a girl hunts and torturers some school shooters using the serial killer skills her dad taught her?