Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ww2 online is still the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its a Pak 40 on a RSO, a fully tracked truck.

Wikipedia says they designed one with a Pak 43 but nobody knows if they actually built any.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Alchenar posted:

Wikipedia says they designed one with a Pak 43 but nobody knows if they actually built any.

People are incredibly quick to accept any kind of weird nazi frankentank no matter how impossible. A lot of the popular ones are straight up fiction that some guy made up and it just kind of took off.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Ainsley McTree posted:

What are some of the other derpiest-looking tanks of history (I'm willing to count prototypes that never made it to the field if they're funny-looking enough)? I've always been partial to the KV-2.

The Bob Semple is the greatest tank in history and don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

People are incredibly quick to accept any kind of weird nazi frankentank no matter how impossible. A lot of the popular ones are straight up fiction that some guy made up and it just kind of took off.

A paper shredder at Wargaming's studio, running day and night, only stopping for repair or maintenance.. On the side in Russian is written "Requests for Krokodil."

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Ainsley McTree posted:

What are some of the other derpiest-looking tanks of history (I'm willing to count prototypes that never made it to the field if they're funny-looking enough)? I've always been partial to the KV-2.

Medium Tank T5E2, the Lee's precursor

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

A bonsai charge would be interesting to watch. Dozens of tiny ents charging along a battlefield.

Make 'em little German trees.

Das Groot

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jos mulle annettaisiin ase, ruumiita tulisi ihan lähijunassakin, you see.

Alchenar posted:

They should have made a tank destroyer around the PaK 43 that used the gun's recoil to retreat from one firing position to the next to help with the fuel situation.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jos mulle annettaisiin ase, ruumiita tulisi ihan lähijunassakin, you see.
It used to be

Now it's

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Hahaha the PzIV in the new Call of Duty trailer is mirrored. I hope it doesn't end up in the game like that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Nebakenezzer posted:

This is awesome, what is it from?

Seriously, I want to see more of this if there is any.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Forgotten Hope's best map was the invasion of Crete. If only for the shenanigans of the entire German team trying to cram into the single Ju-52, dodgy physics and all.

20 in the cabin bouncing around, usually lost at least three to glitching through the plane walls. Five on each wing surfing the entire way :allears:

God I wish I could play that mod again, but I'm assuming it's dead as hell since the GameSpy shutdown.

*CRUNCH CRUNCH SMACK* FORRRRVEEEEERTZ! NEIN! NEIN!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Holy poo poo there's a lot of new posts. What would be the topic? Oh, call of duty ww2. I had to sit though a lot of poo poo and disable noscript a lot of times just to see the same old poo poo. Looks like they wanted to capitalise on battlefield 1 and remake COD with some brothers in arms scenes.
Graphically doesn't look any better.
I still sometimes play COD2 and the expansion a couple of times a year so I don't hate the franchise, just hate the hype and all that bullshit I had to sit/skip through to see what it is all about.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Ainsley McTree posted:

The Tsar tank:

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 27, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Bonjour, je m'appelle "l'appareil Boirault".

Je suis derpy absolutement!

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Trin Tragula posted:

Bonjour, je m'appelle "l'appareil Boirault".

Je suis derpy absolutement!

you see, francois, machine has no sides, so when boche shoot at you, bullets go right through!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Early stealth technology had a long way to go

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013
ASK ME WHAT I DID TO KEEP MY STAR AFTER EDITING OTHER PEOPLES POSTS

8============D
Is that supposed to be one extremely poorly articulated caterpillar track?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

HEY GAIL posted:

it's cause both adams and q adams were huge goons

FTFY

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

Raenir Salazar posted:

IIRC someone thought it was unlikely for Red Army soldiers to make it from Stalingrad to Berlin, IIRC Katakov's Tank Guards Brigade actually managed to fight the war from Stalingrad to Berlin.

I thought that taking Berlin was specifically appointed to Chuikov's troops which had defended Stalingrad.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Need more spider tanks.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hahaha the PzIV in the new Call of Duty trailer is mirrored. I hope it doesn't end up in the game like that.

Got a screenshot? I can't watch it right now.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Got a screenshot? I can't watch it right now.

Also even if it wasn't mirrored, it looks like poo poo if you put it next to a photo of a PzIV. Plus, gray paint in 1944. It's like they didn't do any research at all!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Also even if it wasn't mirrored, it looks like poo poo if you put it next to a photo of a PzIV. Plus, gray paint in 1944. It's like they didn't do any research at all!

So, just with this photo I'm thinking the following:

-Looks mirrored. The random piece on the right fender matches up with an unmirrored left, but might be a quality issue.
-The main gun's mantlet is wrong.
-The ball gun in the hull is too high
-The driver's armoured cover looks to be for the early type, not the proper later-war type. This one might just be the angle and low quality though.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The MG ball is completely wrong. The roof of the driver's compartment is far too sloped, but that might be a camera thing. What's more concerning is that I can't see a commander's cupola.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So, just with this photo I'm thinking the following:

-Looks mirrored. The random piece on the right fender matches up with an unmirrored left, but might be a quality issue.
-The main gun's mantlet is wrong.
-The ball gun in the hull is too high
-The driver's armoured cover looks to be for the early type, not the proper later-war type. This one might just be the angle and low quality though.

The MG ball is completely wrong. The roof of the driver's compartment is far too sloped, but that might be a camera thing. What's more concerning is that I can't see a commander's cupola.

...we made the garand go *ping*

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It's almost like this is a mass product for a general audience that doesn't know or care about geeky mil hist poo poo beyond "I shoot the nazis and my gun goes ping"

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
This tank that I shoot by clicking a mouse button from the comfort of my basement is totally unrealistic.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The MG ball isn't completely wrong, in that they at least got a ball shape done. Everything else about it is wrong, yeah.

I also think the roof is far too sloped.

Missed the cupola, I'm going to laugh if they put that short Tiger cupola or the stationary one like you see with the StuG IV.

Ainsley McTree posted:

...we made the garand go *ping*

Great AV+Post combo

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

bewbies posted:

This tank that I shoot by clicking a mouse button from the comfort of my basement is totally unrealistic.

I'll remember this when any of you nerds complain about the lack of historical accuracy in Combat Mission or Overpriced Sperg Game IV: Fall of Berliningrad.

It's real to me, damnit! :argh:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

"Look we're diverse! we got a BRITISH SOLDIER, and later in the game there are black American soldiers, a lady, a child and a Jewish person!"

These guys are going to get eaten alive.

IMO, a good WW2 game single player should be thus:

Single Player Prologue Tutorial: Nationalist Chinese against the Japanese in the mid to late thirties.

1st section early 2nd World War, Battle of France Dunkirk through Brit/French soldier eyes. North Africa campaign with ANZAC at Tobruk, end with US soldiers in North Africa during Torch.

2nd part of the game: Invasion of the Soviet Union to the Battle of Moscow as several Red Army soldiers, Italian Campaign as Free French or Polish and Normandy as the Canadians on D-Day.

Final part of the game, The British fighting in Holland or Belgium and the Red Army pushing back the Japanese in Manchuria.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
First person view of various hospitals in North Africa and then Europe as that German guy whose diary was posted.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

First person view of various hospitals in North Africa and then Europe as that German guy whose diary was posted.

Expansion DLC.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Diarrhea-laden content

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Press F to not poo poo on your shoes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Diseased, Lost, Confused

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's almost like this is a mass product for a general audience that doesn't know or care about geeky mil hist poo poo beyond "I shoot the nazis and my gun goes ping"

I mean yeah. I'm actually interested in a CoD game for the first time since 4 because CoD games are at their best for me when it's an affordable version of a Hollywood action movie. I just hope they don't have mandatory onscreen messages consisting of "PLEASE RELOAD THIS 5-ROUND WEAPON" or "YOU HAVE BEEN SHOT DONT STAND IN THE OPEN" that you can't loving get rid of ever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Happy Birthday to US Grant

Given that the most enduring image of him is on the $50, I'm always struck by how gaunt he (and Sherman) looks in ACW photos.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Single Player Prologue Tutorial: Nationalist Chinese against the Japanese in the mid to late thirties.

Include parts where you fight other Chinese factions as well.

quote:

1st section early 2nd World War, Battle of France Dunkirk through Brit/French soldier eyes. North Africa campaign with ANZAC at Tobruk, end with US soldiers in North Africa during Torch.

Battle of Narvik trough Norwegian/French eyes.

quote:

2nd part of the game: Invasion of the Soviet Union to the Battle of Moscow as several Red Army soldiers, Italian Campaign as Free French or Polish and Normandy as the Canadians on D-Day.

First mission set during the Winter War, or alternatively invasion of Eastern Poland ending with linking up with Wehrmacht forces.

quote:

Final part of the game, The British fighting in Holland or Belgium and the Red Army pushing back the Japanese in Manchuria.

Work in the Balkans as well, maybe Greece or Yugoslavia.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'll make a WW2 game that has every theatre in it and all front and all major battles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Happy Birthday to US Grant

Given that the most enduring image of him is on the $50, I'm always struck by how gaunt he (and Sherman) looks in ACW photos.

True alcoholics are thin as twigs