Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Pablo Bluth posted:

Wow, Sony finally made an interesting lens. It only took 24 body releases....
Joking aside, I really wish Sony would release new versions of a7 line. a9 is nice, but I'm not made of money, and buying camera released in 2014 (a7II) for full price just feels wrong with every other camera maker having newer cameras available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is that even a joke, like I am afraid to count how many body has Sony released.

Anyway don't want to sound like a hater, congrads on the new lens.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

whatever7 posted:

Is that even a joke, like I am afraid to count how many body has Sony released.

Anyway don't want to sound like a hater, congrads on the new lens.
For 2016 Sony released two cameras with E-mount (both were APS-C) and one A-mount (FF) camera.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kivi posted:

For 2016 Sony released two cameras with E-mount (both were APS-C) and one A-mount (FF) camera.

Since 2010 they probably have released 24 e-mount camera bodies though. There were a lot of revisions to the NEX-3 and NEX-5, not to mention the multiple revisons of the A7 series and the aXXXX series. As much as I like my A7ii and the a6300 I replaced it with, it is quite exhausting to deal with Sony's trend of rapid body iteration.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 18, 2017

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
didn't they also release like 100 lens though?

camera body iterations isn't a bad thing unless you absolutely need to have the newest one

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

8th-snype posted:

I just meant you don't need to use the camera on a tripod. Soft grads have plenty of transitional area so locking the camera down isn't essential.

Ah nice! I will keep this that in mind, I do need to buy a soft grad as well. I was just too poor right now to do so.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is it easy to dump photos from an X-T1 to either an iPad or an Android phone and then eventually import to Lightroom on a laptop from the phone/tablet (I don't have LR mobile)? Could I just run a cable from the camera to the phone/tablet or is it more involved than that? I know there's Fuji's Camera Remote app but it doesn't seem like a great option for transferring hundreds of photos (I only ever do a few at a time) and I don't think it transfers RAWs which is a deal breaker. Thinking about leaving my laptop home for an upcoming trip as long as I can use a phone/tablet as reliable photo storage.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Splinter posted:

Is it easy to dump photos from an X-T1 to either an iPad or an Android phone and then eventually import to Lightroom on a laptop from the phone/tablet (I don't have LR mobile)? Could I just run a cable from the camera to the phone/tablet or is it more involved than that? I know there's Fuji's Camera Remote app but it doesn't seem like a great option for transferring hundreds of photos (I only ever do a few at a time) and I don't think it transfers RAWs which is a deal breaker. Thinking about leaving my laptop home for an upcoming trip as long as I can use a phone/tablet as reliable photo storage.

On my Android phone, I have used a USB to card reader but I haven't since the new OS update so I am not certain that it still works. It looks like there are Apple Lightning to SD Card readers for the iPad.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You can do
1) wifi sd card transfer
2) sd card reader for ipad or OTG reader for android phone/tablet

Neither is very easy

You can also
3) just get a 12" Macbook.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

MeruFM posted:

camera body iterations isn't a bad thing unless you absolutely need to have the newest one

I'm struggling to think of an E mount lens that's in high regard.

/e- I looked at B&H and the sigma 30 & 50-100 with an adapter's in the E mount lineup :downs:

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

whatever7 posted:

You can do
1) wifi sd card transfer
2) sd card reader for ipad or OTG reader for android phone/tablet

Neither is very easy

You can also
3) just get a 12" Macbook.

What about one of these WD Wireless Passport things http://amzn.to/2pYzUzg

You can dump SD to it, and use it for other purposes. Haven't tried it personally so can't vouch for it but I like the idea.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'm struggling to think of an E mount lens that's in high regard.

/e- I looked at B&H and the sigma 30 & 50-100 with an adapter's in the E mount lineup :downs:

i assume you're not including FE

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JHVH-1 posted:

What about one of these WD Wireless Passport things http://amzn.to/2pYzUzg

You can dump SD to it, and use it for other purposes. Haven't tried it personally so can't vouch for it but I like the idea.

Why not just put s 128/200GB card in your phone and backup to your phone. The passport is not going to be faster. Unless you are part of a team.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

MeruFM posted:

i assume you're not including FE

correct

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Ah nice! I will keep this that in mind, I do need to buy a soft grad as well. I was just too poor right now to do so.

Also don't forget the poor man's soft grad: set up on a tripod for a multi-second exposure, then wave your black filter carrying bag in front of the top of the lens for a bit.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

MeruFM posted:

It is when you think about how they don't fix poo poo in one body when they have another one coming out in 6 months. I stopped using Sony around the time the nex ones were being replaced extremely fast because my 5n had several things wrong with it that could have been fixed in a firmware update but instead they just released another body.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Splinter posted:

I ended up trying to use my iPad with an app to transfer files back to a portable HDD. It was super awkward just buy a 128gb card for your camera and dump that when you get home. You don't need to back up on vacation unless some is paying for the photos or you are gonna be gone months.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
If I want to limit my spending to $800, what of these would you buy? I looked at the Sony A6000 and could not deal with the menu system or viewfinder so I went out and looked locally and no one carries the two I was thinking about getting though I was able to see what a higher resolution viewfinder looks like. I don't have a camera right now at all and just want something decent for casual use.

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II 14-42mm and 40-150mm Lenses $599 new

Fujifilm X-T10 XF18-55mm F2.8-4.0 R LM OIS Lens $730 used

With the Olympus, you get two lenses and a cheaper price, but people were saying Fuji lens is the best, kit lens though not sure they are talking about the one in this package.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Rusty posted:

If I want to limit my spending to $800, what of these would you buy? I looked at the Sony A6000 and could not deal with the menu system or viewfinder so I went out and looked locally and no one carries the two I was thinking about getting though I was able to see what a higher resolution viewfinder looks like. I don't have a camera right now at all and just want something decent for casual use.

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II 14-42mm and 40-150mm Lenses $599 new

Fujifilm X-T10 XF18-55mm F2.8-4.0 R LM OIS Lens $730 used

With the Olympus, you get two lenses and a cheaper price, but people were saying Fuji lens is the best, kit lens though not sure they are talking about the one in this package.

Yes that's the lens they are taking about. You should be able to get an XT1 and that lens for less than $800

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I got an e-m10ii with the 14-42 not pancake refurbished for about $450 recently. I've been happy with it but don't really have a good point of reference to compare to.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

8th-snype posted:

Yes that's the lens they are taking about. You should be able to get an XT1 and that lens for less than $800

Yeah I was going to say X-T1 too. It is still a very capable and fun to use camera.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Where can I get and X-T1 that cheap? It seems like if I want that lense we're taking $1100.

Also, thanks for the feedback on the Olympus, still considering that one because of the price and it seems well liked.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Rusty posted:

Where can I get and X-T1 that cheap? It seems like if I want that lense we're taking $1100.

Also, thanks for the feedback on the Olympus, still considering that one because of the price and it seems well liked.

Yeah looks like I just saw a couple of smoking deal on XT1s and assumed that's what they are going for right now, sorry. When I just looked now the cheapest I can find is cert refurb at amazon for $869 http://a.co/aINIxQb

The XT10 or XE2 is still a very capable camera if you are looking at Fuji. There's nothing wrong with the Olympus either, lots of mediocre posters in this thread use them. The nice thing bout Fuji is the nice prime glass and the frequent firmware updates, you might not get much out of that last one if you buy a last gen camera though.

Edit: looks like Amazon has used X-E2 with 18-55mm kits for around $670.That's probably a better deal than the XT10. The X-E2 has a bigger EVF with a higher eyepoint but it refreshes slightly slower than the XT10.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 19, 2017

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks, for some reason I didn't see that deal for $869, that's better than I have found so I'll definitely think about it. Also haven't even looked at the XE2 at all, so glad I posted here. I may just get the XT1 as that is really the one I wanted and $869 is a great price.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 19, 2017

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

8th-snype posted:

Yeah looks like I just saw a couple of smoking deal on XT1s and assumed that's what they are going for right now, sorry. When I just looked now the cheapest I can find is cert refurb at amazon for $869 http://a.co/aINIxQb

The XT10 or XE2 is still a very capable camera if you are looking at Fuji. There's nothing wrong with the Olympus either, lots of mediocre posters in this thread use them. The nice thing bout Fuji is the nice prime glass and the frequent firmware updates, you might not get much out of that last one if you buy a last gen camera though.

Edit: looks like Amazon has used X-E2 with 18-55mm kits for around $670.That's probably a better deal than the XT10. The X-E2 has a bigger EVF with a higher eyepoint but it refreshes slightly slower than the XT10.

Hey man don't forget Panasonic, I love my G85 and I am below mediocre!

On another note, took the G85 with me backpacking this weekend and it handled like a champ. The only issue I've noticed with it is the front dial is a bit stiff at times, nowhere near as lose as the rear dial. I prefer the feel of the rear dial much more, much less effort to turn.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Hey man don't forget Panasonic, I love my G85 and I am below mediocre!

On another note, took the G85 with me backpacking this weekend and it handled like a champ. The only issue I've noticed with it is the front dial is a bit stiff at times, nowhere near as lose as the rear dial. I prefer the feel of the rear dial much more, much less effort to turn.

Everyone forgets about Panasonic. I have a Panasonic and I forget about it sometimes. I had a Panasonic fridge once, and it was the best fridge I've ever owned or even seen compared to other people's fridges. I miss that fridge. I'd miss my camera too if I couldn't get a new one. But waxing poetic about a Panasonic fridge, even in an appliance forum, would probably garner a few rolled eyes and "there he goes about his damned Panasonic fridge again" and then they'd go back to talking about Smeg.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Sup Panny buddy. I have a G7 (an upgrade from my ancient but much-used Canon T3i) and it's pretty much grafted to my hand now, mostly due to the pre-burst and post-focus modes. Post-focus in particular makes it SO EASY to create a focus stack.

It's also relatively cheap; I got the body w/14-42 kit lens, 45-150 Oly lens, and 25mm 1.7 for about a niner all together. I see it as one of those situations where if you get 95% of the functionality for 50% of the price, you're coming out way ahead, value-wise.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I have a potential opportunity to produce a youtube streaming webinar. On paper, I think I could pull this off with the equipment I currently have, my amateurish video setup for the XT2 running into an HDMI cable to the laptop and streaming software.

My concern is overheating, I shot a bunch of 4k footage on saturday, 2-minute shots every 10 minutes for an hour, and the camera was slightly warm, but it was noticeable. And it used up about 40% of one of the batteries in the grip. Would a 60-90 minute live stream, at like 720p, overheat the camera and cut out early?

I'm also wondering if my 6 year old MBP can take it, but that's another discussion. I'm going to test it later this week to see, I've never done anything like this before.

As a sidebar, it kills me that the camera waits until each battery is at 0% before turning off completely and restarting using the remaining battery. You'd think they have it set to wait until like 5%, then switch over seamlessly.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
I did learn one really odd thing about my X-T2: it really does not like bright fluorescent orange.

This past weekend I was shooting a large group of G.I. Joe and Cobra cosplayers on a submarine and destroyer that served during World War 2. Some of the weapons they brought had the orange safety tips on them. Some weren't too bad to edit out but one thing I noticed on the ones that were really bright was that they had this odd halo effect to them in some shots. Was able to work with it but didn't quite expect it to happen.

Maybe I should bring a bunch of black Sharpies next time around.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Electrical tape.

Digital sensors are very, very sensitive to certain red/orange frequencies. It's why red LEDs are death to photography in concert settings.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ReverendHammer posted:

I did learn one really odd thing about my X-T2: it really does not like bright fluorescent orange.

This past weekend I was shooting a large group of G.I. Joe and Cobra cosplayers on a submarine and destroyer that served during World War 2. Some of the weapons they brought had the orange safety tips on them. Some weren't too bad to edit out but one thing I noticed on the ones that were really bright was that they had this odd halo effect to them in some shots. Was able to work with it but didn't quite expect it to happen.

Maybe I should bring a bunch of black Sharpies next time around.

Might be reflective tape.

Hair spray might dull that down, without damaging their costumes.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Mirage posted:

Sup Panny buddy. I have a G7 (an upgrade from my ancient but much-used Canon T3i) and it's pretty much grafted to my hand now, mostly due to the pre-burst and post-focus modes. Post-focus in particular makes it SO EASY to create a focus stack.

It's also relatively cheap; I got the body w/14-42 kit lens, 45-150 Oly lens, and 25mm 1.7 for about a niner all together. I see it as one of those situations where if you get 95% of the functionality for 50% of the price, you're coming out way ahead, value-wise.

A buddy of mine sold his T2i and went with the G7 + kit lens and loves it. My wife is getting into photography and using the G7 as well, it's a great camera.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Would folks have any interest in a Fuji XT-10, 35mm/f2, and 18mm/f2? If so, I can post it in the buy/sell thread.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Currently in Portugal on vacation and the G85 is proving to be a great travel camera. Not too big, great for landscapes, architecture, video, etc. Wife loves this thing. Weatherproofing definitely came in handy with the variable weather on the Azores.

Meanwhile I'm stuck with a terrible super zoom nikon

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

GEMorris posted:

Currently in Portugal on vacation and the G85 is proving to be a great travel camera. Not too big, great for landscapes, architecture, video, etc. Wife loves this thing. Weatherproofing definitely came in handy with the variable weather on the Azores.

Meanwhile I'm stuck with a terrible super zoom nikon

How is the front dial on yours? Stiff at all? I don't have another G85 to compare to so I am wondering whats up with mine.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

mAlfunkti0n posted:

How is the front dial on yours? Stiff at all? I don't have another G85 to compare to so I am wondering whats up with mine.

Front and rear dials behave the same, and are not stiff.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

give it a rinse under a faucet. That's what ultimately helped me fix my front dial that was intermittently sending bad commands after its dip in a creek. (gx8)

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

give it a rinse under a faucet. That's what ultimately helped me fix my front dial that was intermittently sending bad commands after its dip in a creek. (gx8)

Will do!

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Fujifilm and Sony Release Many Firmware Updates for Popular Cameras and Lenses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

Awesome, just upgraded!

Unrelated to the above, has anybody spotted some Fujifilm Memorial day sales anywhere?