Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Welcome back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db8YGvSPwYg

Looks like Kwehry's getting a nice nap, at least.

And he's waking up!

Meanwhile, someone wearing white mage robes gingerly puts a pot on a shelf.

It's full of nitroglycerin, by the way.

Kwehry is distracted by the sound.

Which, itself, alerts the white mage.

Apparently nobody told her that the "reveal your face by dramatically removing your hood" thing only really works if your face isn't plainly visible with the hood up.

All Kwehry can manage is a blank stare. And some blinks.

: I was so surprised when you fell from the sky.

: ? This is probably your first time seeing a human, isn't it?

Uh-oh, she's busting out the "hands on hips" pose. Kwehry's in for it now.

: The way I see it, a bird like you is a lot more unusual than me.

: Oh, I see. My name is...

Had Chocobo and Mog continued their journey, they would have met Shiroma, whose name comes from "Shiro Madoushi". Which is Japanese for "white mage". Yes, her name is essentially "WMAG".

But since we're watching the adventures of Kwehry and Riposte, the white mage's name is Dagger.

: I'm Dagger and I'm a White Mage. Nice to meet you, Kwehry. You look very healthy, I guess the tonic worked well enough.

: Well, I'm relieved.

: Well, I'm going out. If you're tired, rest on the bed.

I wasn't kidding about the nitroglycerin earlier.

And with that, Kwehry mugs for the camera, and we're given free reign to loot the place look around Dagger's house. First thing's first, though, let's get us some expl-

:sigh: Oh well. This tonic is un-ID'd, but it's always a Nitro Tonic. You can drink it to lose a quarter of your current HP (max 50), or kick it at enemies for the same effect. It explodes like a mine trap does, so it can be used in a pinch to break down walls.

Or rather, it could, if we could carry it.

Speaking of our items, though...

My hunch was right, our un-ID'd card was a polish card! This'll increase the enchantment on a claw or saddle by 1.

And looks like our other Wooden claws were cursed, too. As well as one of our saddles.

As Dagger mentioned, we can rest in her bed to save. And that's that for her house.

Wow, she set up shop pretty much right outside the dungeon. Oh well, back to spelunking!

Switches will oftentimes do nothing at all.

Two more sets of Wooden Claws, and no space for them. The smart thing would be to dump the cursed crap, but I'm saving it up for later. Still, that does remind me that we have our polish card to use.

And now we have a +1 wooden saddle equipped!

And we're caught in a mud trap! Mud is more annoying than dangerous. Kwehry can still attack as normal, he just can't move for a few turns.

The quake book isn't so important right now, but I do want that fire book for later. Kwehry drinks a potion, drops his memory tag and stones, and picks up both books as well as the two sets of claws from earlier.

Cantrip books are a little different from normal spellbooks. They don't level up with use, for one. For another...

We're prompted with this menu when we use it. Since we have no way to control which effect we get, Kwehry goes with random.

And like that, all enemies in the room are asleep. Cantrip books cause wide-area status effects. Once Kwehry has a way of choosing the effect, they're pretty helpful. But for now they're not worth the inventory space, especially since choosing random can backfire and cause Kwehry a little bit of damage.

Still more claws. And hey, maybe this smeared card is identify?

Oh. At least we'll recognize them for later in this dungeon, I guess.

And Kwehry decides to demo the polymorph trap. It turns you into a random monster that the floor can spawn. While transformed, the L1 button will make Kwehry use the monster's special attack. In guz's case, here...

... he starts crying. Thankfully it wears off quickly enough. Monsters later on in the game have some unique abilities that make polymorph traps a lot of fun.

Hmm. Kwehry hasn't leveled up any spells yet, and his inventory is full. I think we can kill two birds with one stone.

Next floor, Kwehry finds a tasty nut, which restores both HP and energy. A useful find.

If you find a tonic that you don't want, you can always pour it out and keep the empty bottle.

Spike traps damage you much like landmines do. Here, though, the trap doesn't trigger. This happens from time to time.

Next floor, we find ourselves in a cutscene.

: I've had enough of this dungeon. I'm goin' home.

Thus begins Dagger's long and storied tradition of being ambushed by skeletons.

: What!?

Really, though, this is a Final Fantasy game. Undead have no business going near white mages.

: Whew... that was close.

: Th-that's why I don't like this place. The only reason I came this far is 'cus you asked me to.

: Hmph... what kind of chocobo are you? Get a hold of yourself.

Sounds like Chubby Chocobo is a pretty normal chocobo, all things considered.

: Uhhh, that's...

: Fine. I'll continue on by myself then.

: No, it's too dangerous.

: I'll be fine. I have a Teleport Tag if I run into any problems.

: Besides, I want to find this dungeon's secret. Therefore, I must go.

: You be careful, too.

: Wait a sec! But... she's gone...

And on that note, we'll continue this later.

See you next time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread