Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Luhood posted:

1) Send a Gift Basket to the Thoraxian Queen! A blessing for taking First Blood.

2) Send the Burlust Pirates back to Govad for free. A good deed can go a long way, and it's not like they're Evucks or Acutians or anything.

3) Ensure the Pacification of any and all Pirates! If we can catch them do so, but otherwise Destruction is better than Live and let Live.

What do the rest of the Revengence/Justice Party think of this? Could this work as guidelines for our Noble Leader?

Oh yeah, you actually can't return prisoners for free to the Burlusts, it's always just 'return prisoners to the Warlord of your choice so he can murder them in exchange for Leverage'.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Lazy rear end in a top hat Party submits no legislation this term.

But, just as a reminder: leaders of the other parties can best court the votes of Lazy Assholes by keeping your poo poo simple and direct. Remember, we're only just barely paying attention. The fewer points in your bill, the easier it is to understand, and if you do stuff like counterargue other bills or write out multiple paragraphs or whatever the gently caress, odds are you'll just get a Lazy rear end in a top hat NO vote. Bear in mind we mostly can't remember which races are which, which planets are which, who is winning or losing, and definitely not the intricacies of the Hydral's options and ships and bribes and all those mechanics.

So something simple like "there's a war, let's stop that war" is easy for us to maybe vote for.
Something like "give the skylthorlaxians 17 megacredits to convince the senatorial counterparty to provide a measure of aid in the brulust-owl schism but UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES allow the borlostian legate to achieve orbital macrocannons" is just never going to fly with our party members.

My fellow Lazy Assholes: as you saw last session, I intend to do something amusing again this session. If you feel like it you can hold off on voting till you've seen whether I get any results. Or don't, it's your call dudes.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 19, 2014

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It looks on the surface that addressing the Thoraxians directly is more cost effective, but also riskier in the bigger picture for Unitarian aims. Looking at the larger picture, addressing this problem through the Andorian model will create a better base for a future Federation.

However, so long as the Thoraxian Queen is Warlike, she will not back down, even should our Pacifiers come into power. Which is fine: We want the two sides to bloody their noses while we develop the remainder of the solar system, and eventually her disposition will change naturally. Spending credits on bribing the Queen grants us no Influence, while using the Andorians will net us influence with them instead.

Fringe benefits win out in this one's estimation.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Wiz posted:

Oh yeah, you actually can't return prisoners for free to the Burlusts, it's always just 'return prisoners to the Warlord of your choice so he can torture them to death in exchange for Leverage'.

THAT'S EVEN BETTER! WHICH WARLORDS CURRENTLY REIGN ON GOVAD?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

The Lazy rear end in a top hat Party submits no legislation this term.

But, just as a reminder: leaders of the other parties can best court the votes of Lazy Assholes by keeping your poo poo simple and direct. Remember, we're only just barely paying attention. The fewer points in your bill, the easier it is to understand, and if you do stuff like counterargue other bills or write out multiple paragraphs or whatever the gently caress, odds are you'll just get a Lazy rear end in a top hat NO vote.

My fellow Lazy Assholes: as you saw last session, I intend to do something amusing again this session. If you feel like it you can hold off on voting till you've seen whether I get any results. Or don't, it's your call dudes.

I'd honestly appreciate it if you didn't do meta stuff like 'vote for the bill of the party that makes the sweetest gif of a mecha owl' or whatever. Much like the 'this bill makes every bill pass' it's really not very funny and mostly just ends up obnoxious.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Solar Fight Night
1. Let the Burlusts and Thoraxians fight
2. Once one side's fleet has been wiped out, destroy the victor's fleet
3. After both sides' fleets are destroyed, kill pirates and pirate bases.

This should be a good fight! My credits are on the thoraxians.

edit: Simplified the bill to court lazy rear end in a top hat vote.

unwantedplatypus fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 19, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wiz posted:

I'd honestly appreciate it if you didn't do meta stuff like 'vote for the bill of the party that makes the sweetest gif of a mecha owl' or whatever. Much like the 'this bill makes every bill pass' it's really not very funny and mostly just ends up obnoxious.

Oh.

So what I did last session wasn't kosher? I did get three or four responses!

I mostly see my role as helping red-faced parliamentarians not take things so seriously, but being irritating was also part of the party platform. I can back off on that I guess, but I'm not sure what else my party can do besides sit on the sidelines and randomly vote.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

unwantedplatypus posted:

Solar Fight Night
1. Let the Burlusts and Thoraxians fight
2. If the Thoraxians win, let them launch one invasion
3. If the Burlusts win, let them launch one invasion
4. Destroy the fleet of whoever won the space battle
5. Kill pirates

This should be a good fight! My credits are on the thoraxians.

Please clarify in which order the things in this bill are supposed to be happen, whether you mean a space or ground invasion, and which space battle you are referring to.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
My original intent with legislative blitz was to allow minority parties to ram through legislation. This, of course, breaks down with the current system of voting. I did not, however, realize that at the time.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I plan to stick to voting for the simplest, most straightforward option. Brevity is awesome.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

Oh.

So what I did last session wasn't kosher? I did get three or four responses!

I mostly see my role as helping red-faced parliamentarians not take things so seriously, but being irritating was also part of the party platform. I can back off on that I guess, but I'm not sure what else my party can do besides sit on the sidelines and randomly vote.

Honestly making people faux-argue for faux-votes really doesn't really help anyone take stuff less seriously (if anything it's the opposite, remember Eibaocracy?). I don't mind if people vote based on dumb gimmicks, but making others do gimmicky contests for said votes just wastes everyone's time.

If you want to try and make your party vote for silly stuff to irritate others, go for it, just skip the 'dance for me and you may have my vote' stuff please.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 19, 2014

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Hey guys let's get together and talk about policy decisions and poo poo for our first Owls On Drugs Legislative Think Tank. Please speak clearly into the microphone and remember to take deep breaths:

I'm pretty sure that we should get rid of those pirates. Its like, not good for anyone having them stomping around and we can get major brownie points with everyone by returning the pirates to their nations.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
I suggest that instead of wasting money trying to influence this stalemate, we start a diplomacy blitz. Let's start raising relations with the races we like, and getting them to spread good words about each other, and setting up supply routes. This would do a heck of a lot more for solar peace than getting even more races involved in the war between the brave Thoraxians and the brutal Burlusts.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Gorgo Primus posted:

I suggest that instead of wasting money trying to influence this stalemate, we start a diplomacy blitz. Let's start raising relations with the races we like, and getting them to spread good words about each other, and setting up supply routes. This would do a heck of a lot more for solar peace than getting even more races involved in the war between the brave Thoraxians and the brutal Burlusts.

Making other people do most of the work for us? I LIKE THIS.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wiz posted:

Honestly making people faux-argue for faux-votes really doesn't really help anyone take stuff less seriously (if anything it's the opposite, remember Eibaocracy?). I don't mind if people vote based on dumb gimmicks, but making others do gimmicky contests for said votes just wastes everyone's time.

If you want to try and make your party vote for silly stuff to irritate others, go for it, just skip the 'dance for me and you may have my vote' stuff please.

OK, well, fair enough, you're the boss.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

It will also make it easier to form a good Federation where most races join in quick succession if they all have already been conditioned to like both each other and us.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gorgo Primus posted:

It will also make it easier to form a good Federation where most races join in quick succession if they all have already been conditioned to like both each other and us.

From all the information we've given, while nothing is certain, this is hardly a stalemate. The circumstances greatly favor the Thoraxians in time: The Burlusts suffer internally as much as externally and cannot match Thoraxian population growth (and eventually ground invasion), so if anything I see the goal as trying to force a stalemate as opposed to a Thoraxian victory, more than anything else.

Otherwise I agree: Trade routes and opening diplomatic channels (and perhaps the eventual uplift of the Evucks and Acutians when it is more politically palatable) should be a highly placed objective and I'd vote for initiatives towards those.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

What's the point of taking drastic action and emptying out our entire savings (which would make my suggestion impossible) in order to prevent something that can only become a problem if a number of 'what ifs' carry on for several years (at least 2 sessions)? And for that matter, something that won't be time sensitive because, if we can make them declare peace, it doesn't really matter when so long as its before they've won.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Luhood posted:

1) Send a Gift Basket to the Thoraxian Queen! A blessing for taking First Blood.

2) Send the Burlust Pirates back to Govad for free. A good deed can go a long way, and it's not like they're Evucks or Acutians or anything.

3) Ensure the Pacification of any and all Pirates! If we can catch them do so, but otherwise Destruction is better than Live and let Live.

What do the rest of the Revengence/Justice Party think of this? Could this work as guidelines for our Noble Leader?

I agree with this is the gift basket is code fro bribing her for a mood change.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Anticheese posted:

I'm pretty sure that we should get rid of those pirates. Its like, not good for anyone having them stomping around and we can get major brownie points with everyone by returning the pirates to their nations.

Cool. I took a look in the hold and it looks like all the pirates we captured are burlust anyway; until we get some sweet-rear end Peltian pirates I guess we can crash a few of their parties.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
To give you an idea of the value of cash: We currently have 30k, which is a lot. Dispatches (the main moneymaker) tend to make you maybe 1k a year, missions give you at most a few thousand. You can make a lot of money slave trading, though there's some influence hits involved (-1 with Andors, Evucks, Skylaxians and Boarines per 500 credits/slave sold) and you know, it makes you a bit of an rear end in a top hat.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 19, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wiz posted:

To give you an idea of the value of cash: We currently have 30k, which is a lot. Dispatches (the main moneymaker) tend to make you maybe 1k a year, missions give you at most a few thousand. You can make a lot of money slave trading, though there's some influence hits involved (-1 with Andors, Skylaxians and Boarines per 500 credits/slave sold) and you know, it makes you a bit of an rear end in a top hat.

HOly poo poo a party platform plank, right out of nowhere!

Let's sell slaves

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Wiz posted:

(-1 with Andors, Skylaxians and Boarines per 500 credits/slave sold)

See now, owls just give no shits.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

You actually gain influence with them because they are so intimidated.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Selling slaves gives you positive influence with Burlusts (they approve) and Peltians (because it makes them terrified of you).

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
How "urgent" is the game? As in, if you spend your time slowly building up tech and getting money, can it run away from you and suddenly one species is ruling all planets?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

GrossMurpel posted:

How "urgent" is the game? As in, if you spend your time slowly building up tech and getting money, can it run away from you and suddenly one species is ruling all planets?

Yes, absolutely. How fast this happens is really hard to say though.

MoadDib
Apr 4, 2009

Wiz posted:

Selling slaves gives you positive influence with Burlusts (they approve) and Peltians (because it makes them terrified of you).

So if we sell the Burlust captives into slavery, it's more humanitarian since they won't be immediately executed by a warlord AND we still get positive influence with the Burlusts and Peltians ... huh.

Maybe we can court the Lazy rear end in a top hat vote and get our slight revengeance on the Burlusts while pocketing a quick 5.5k at the same time. Food for our glorious leader's thought.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
The Unofficial Sanely Strengthening our Society Project

1. Hunt down pirates as possible
2. Begin colonizing moons to provide a steady income stream
3. Recover Hydral tech as possible
4. Adopt all 7 million Skylaxian orphans (fluff)

Thoughts? I'll be getting a session thing up.

vvv The Leader has let me know that bribery is beneath this party, and I have accordingly removed it.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 19, 2014

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

sniper4625 posted:

The Unofficial Sanely Strengthening our Society Project

1. Hunt down pirates as possible
2. Begin colonizing moons to provide a steady income stream
3. Recover Hydral tech as possible
4. Adopt all 7 million Skylaxian orphans (fluff)
5. Bribe the Thoraxian Queen to be less angry - we certainly shouldn't support the Thoraxian War, considering the end result of a Thoraxian victory.

Thoughts? I'll be getting a session thing up.

It gets my vote. honestly what other legislation do we need?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

No Act Submitted Yet
No Act Submitted Yet
WILL NOT SUBMIT THIS SESSION
No Act Submitted Yet
No Act Submitted Yet
No Act Submitted Yet
No Act Submitted Yet
Wartime Economic Recovery Act
No Act Submitted Yet
Solar Fight Night
System Sophont Preservation Bill

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 19, 2014

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Hey guys let's get together and talk about policy decisions and poo poo for our first Owls On Drugs Legislative Think Tank. Please speak clearly into the microphone and remember to take deep breaths:

We should probably blow those pirates up or something, should make for an awesome light show. Also I guess we need to set up some trade routes and colonize some moons so Lycian gets some molly. My hommies planetside need to be rollin'.

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 19, 2014

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

My recommendation for items that should go into our bill:
  • Pirate hunting, yes. Though honestly, I'll be surprised if anyone recommends not pirate hunting.
  • Intervening in the Thoraxian-Burlust war as necessary to keep either side from winning. Diplomatically if possible. I leave the exact means to our leader's discretion.
  • Building relations with the Thoraxians and Burlusts to help offset any penalties for interfering with their war.
  • Generally diplomatizing to improve all races' relationships with ourselves and with each other, to make forming a Federation easier.
  • I am indifferent on the point of Burlust prisoner treatment, leaning slightly toward the slavery option. (We get less influence from the Burlusts that way, correct? To compensate for getting cash and Peltian influence?)
  • Continuing to focus on getting new research techs, especially ones that increase research speed.
  • Consider uplifting the Evucks. As I understand it, they have something of a monopoly on molybdenum at present, and we can't get it from them if they aren't spacefaring. That said, alternate methods of securing molybdenum are also acceptable.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Unwanted Platypus posted:

Legislative Blitz

1. All legislation shall be passed
2. For the purposes of this bill's passing, all no votes shall be counted as yes votes
3. For the purposes of this bill's passing, All yes votes shall be counted as no votes

hop into the IRC channel to discuss scheming and politics!

I know Wiz already yelled at you, but I couldn't resist.

Only a monster out of our imagination could suffice to display the horror I feel at your actions. Or something. (Man I wish we had humanoid races.)

Also dark red text on a dark backround? :cmon:

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 19, 2014

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Andor Pacification Plan

1. Speeches should be made in the Andor legislature until the Pacification Party is in charge. This action should be taken after the use of the Samaritan party, should the Hydral be directed to make use of the Samaritans.

2. The Andor should be directed to do what they can to mitigate and terminate the current conflict between the Thoraxians and Burlusts. This should be pursued at the Hydral's discression as the situation develops, but generally includes permission to Soothe Warlust of either side, should they take the clear advantage, with the ultimate goal to Broker Truce as costs and influence allows.

3. Any technologies that would benefit the Andor should be shared with them, especially military technology or industrial technology, with the aim of strengthening the Andors, as they are the one race we can trust to not aggressively expand, and having their sympathy and their fleet would be useful in preventing further conflicts.

4. When the opportunity presents itself, we should Research Fleet Technologies with the Andors that will benefit the Hydral and future members of the Federation.

I highly encourage any councilors who have any issue with any of these provisions to speak now, as I view this act of the utmost importance, and I would like to clarify or rectify issues now, rather than entering the voting period laboring under misapprehensions about tone or intent that might destroy an otherwise useful bill.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 19, 2014

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Eiba posted:

Andorian Pacification Plan
3. Furthermore, any remaining funds, not earmarked for other critical tasks, should be used to encourage the Andorians to Pacify Pirates, starting with Pirates attacking "sympathetic species," defined for the moment as Andors, Peltians, Skylaxians, and Borines in that order.

Just off the top of my head, it may not be a great idea to throw all of our money we have not otherwise allocated to the Andor. We might need it for other things!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

sniper4625 posted:

Just off the top of my head, it may not be a great idea to throw all of the money we have not otherwise allocated to the Andor.
It's not throwing it to Andor, it's throwing it to whoever the pirates are attacking.

You're right though. Specific, reasonable, limits should be made.

Wiz, how many pirates are out there, and how much money do we have? What's our income for that matter?

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

sniper4625 posted:

Just off the top of my head, it may not be a great idea to throw all of our money we have not otherwise allocated to the Andor. We might need it for other things!

Not only will this cost a huge amount of money, it will also stop us from getting the money and influence from hunting pirates.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
^^^ Thank you Comrade.

Eiba posted:

It's not throwing it to Andor, it's throwing it to whoever the pirates are attacking.

Wiz, how many pirates are out there, and how much money do we have?

quote:

Furthermore, any remaining funds, not earmarked for other critical tasks, should be used to encourage the Andorians to Pacify Pirates

The way this is worded, it seems like we are giving the Andors all of our (considerable) cash reserves in the hope they go take care of the piracy problem.

I'm also not entirely keen on giving away all of our technology to the Andor - why give away a good chunk of our bargaining chips right out of the gate? While Provisos #1 and #2 are more or less reasonable, #3 and #4 appear more of a blatant attempt at racial favoritism for uncertain gain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Eiba posted:

Wiz, how many pirates are out there, and how much money do we have? What's our income for that matter?

There's 5 or so pirate bases around.

Our current credits is always shown in the inventory part of the briefing for the session.

• Locked thread