Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

ethanol posted:

I have yet to be shot around a corner and the kill cam show me three feet out from behind it

Yeah, it's called client side hit detection. If they hit you correctly on their screen then you're dead. It's actually more consistent than the alternative where you have to guess the actual position according to their ping rather than their actual (I guess it's just perceived) location...

Calvin Johnson Jr. fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

MickRaider posted:

Oh poo poo an even longer version of crossfire breakout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bmPgWpJCDk

drat that's fast paced

Halo's not my kind of online shooter so I wouldn't comment on that (although the movement options help it) but there are some aesthetic choices which seem strange. They do the same kind of "speed lines" that Sunset Overdrive does and it has a similar effect of magnifying how slow things really are going. The launch/running start is also not matched up with movement options like skiing or some other way someone could leverage that start to reach locations or positions normally not reachable. I like very much the idea of practically introducing players to an arena though assuming you found a way to do this without making it a skeet shooting freebie to kill respawns.

There's also the strange choice to make their puffy gloves plush leather. That doesn't have much visual linkage to scifi, more to recreational skiing. Maybe they were aiming for astronaut but that is more wrinkly fabric. Just a really strange design choice for something players will look at every minute of play. Especially since metal, carbon fiber, and kevlar weave evokes military better than decorative leather.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

-A n i m 8- posted:

i just animate boobs, i have no idea guys

Rofl

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

-A n i m 8- posted:

i just animate boobs, i have no idea guys

The boobs in 4 were poo poo. You guys can't even do fanservice well.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

sunday at work posted:

The boobs in 4 were poo poo. You guys can't even do fanservice well.

You take that back.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The presence of boobs confirms the return of Cortana. Someone write in to Kotaku with this hot tip.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
The Master Search Collection

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

We've waited so long
Waited so long
We've waited so long
Waited so long
I've got two tickets to paradise, won't you
Pack your bags, we'll leave tonight
I've got two tickets to paradise
I've got two tickets to paradise

Texibus
May 18, 2008

-A n i m 8- posted:

just checked the internal email thread... holy poo poo lol

I'm fine with you too Ani-mate, pretty sure you didn't have anything to do with messing up my Halo CE hit detection either, despite working on a game from a different company that is going to release a new one with a similar name 14 years after the one that is broke.

HEY! you think they'll ever let us know what actually hosed up? That sort of stuff is interesting to me, even if I don't understand it on a technical level I like to hear about it then some jack rear end sperg about how easy it was to avoid and then break it down for me like they would a child, " See when a computer and another computer love each other very much they shoot warm data into each other's routers."

Edit: My parents weren't very good with talks.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 16, 2014

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

muddream posted:

Doing my first playthrough of Halo 4. It looks better than most XBO/PS4 games and I'm not getting any weird slowdown like in CE:A. I have a feeling Halo 5 will be the best looking 60fps game for quite a while even if Cortana's fun bags don't return.

all those levels with 3 switches suck poo poo but ya halo 4 does look really impressive from an artistic standpoint, even on 360. i bet the jungle level looks freakin' sweet on the bone

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!

ethanol posted:

I have yet to be shot around a corner and the kill cam show me three feet out from behind it

that isn't the net code, thats just lag compensation doing its job and an unfortunate side effect of the realities of playing against people miles away. it makes it so that actually aiming at a person means you are aiming at them rather than having to lead shots to predicts where the server thinks they are. frustrating at times, yes, but less frustrating than having to aim predictively rather than at the character model constantly.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

reposting this because it helps with finding games

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...89506d687/posts

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
Here's a trick that seems to help connecting with friends..

Search for a game by yourself, back out to the main menu before it finds people- then invite your friends

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

-A n i m 8- posted:

Search for a game by yourself, back out to the main menu before it finds people- then invite your friends

It's like I'm having flashbacks of USenet from 1996.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Here's a trick that helps improve your gameplay experience: throw your xbone in the garbage and boot up any of the Halo games on the 360, because they work fine.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

LanceKing2200 posted:

Here's a trick that helps improve your gameplay experience: throw your xbone in the garbage and boot up any of the Halo games on the 360, because they work fine.

lmao r u kidding that's not 60 fps

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
One weird trick that MMC matchmaking hates! A confirmation bias.

Blow in the cd tray also worked for me and my friends, also try hard resetting your console, maybe uninstalling and reinstalling, can you flash your bios? Try that. Update your modem firmware and maybe call your ISP. All these work flawlessly.

Man, the 3rd Xbox the Xbox 1th fuels your imagination.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Hey Anim8, I know you're just a boob animator and can't influence the direction of Halo 5 at all but can you tell the people who do actual work that the LINES OF DUDICAL SPEED a the corners of the screen when running look like a loving joke? Just because Sunset Overdrive did it doesn't mean it has to be applied to all XBone videogames forever thanks so much

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ethanol posted:

lmao r u kidding that's not 60 fps

your eyes wouldn't even know it

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

Pathos posted:

Hey Anim8, I know you're just a boob animator and can't influence the direction of Halo 5 at all but can you tell the people who do actual work that the LINES OF DUDICAL SPEED a the corners of the screen when running look like a loving joke? Just because Sunset Overdrive did it doesn't mean it has to be applied to all XBone videogames forever thanks so much

k

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Let me know when you can reveal what you worked on, I want to make fun of it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My uncle's friend works at Macrosoft and he said to tell you guys that you need to make sure your ports are forwarded and your NAT settings are open.

Hey, the MCC is so accurate it even replicates trying to get Halo multiplayer working like you're on the 360!

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
I wish I was a piece of crap failure with no friends so I could sperg about a 13 year old video game and brag about how good I am at it to people online when I amount to nothing else. Also, Anim8 is cool ignore the haters. I just had a dream about Halo Reach by the way <4

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
hey guys just checking in does the game work yet?

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

The Mantis posted:

no fag gtfo

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

I just had a dream about Halo Reach by the way <4

:rip:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Halo: the Windows ME Edition

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

The Mantis posted:

Obviously you haven't checked the latest @ishalobroken tweet https://twitter.com/ishalobroken/status/533730888123572224?s=09

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Laserface posted:

Halo: the Windows ME Edition

Vinc posted:

Guys, am I missing something or are there no credits at the end of the games? I just finished Halo CE and got no credits... and the credits in the extras just open a webpage with internet explorer. What the hell?

The amount of compromising and cutting they did to fit on one disc is just mind boggling. I'd take two install discs over this poo poo. (Campaigns are still fun, though.)

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Halo PC just rendered the credits from a text file over the main menu background.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

-A n i m 8- posted:

Please go find your coworkers and just slap them until they fix the game, that'd probably help too.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

I wish I was a piece of crap failure with no friends so I could sperg about a 13 year old video game and brag about how good I am at it to people online when I amount to nothing else. Also, Anim8 is cool ignore the haters. I just had a dream about Halo Reach by the way <4

(someones says "gently caress you" on xbox live)

im so sick at halo i make people passive aggressively post on the internet about it; you do realize you must play something like 15-20 games for every 1 I get in, right? it's not too much to ask for the game to at least be playable. Honestly, the biggest gripe is that somehow a single dudes fun project from 2001 turned out better than something released a decade later by a team of paid people.

I literally can't think of a game this broken that was released; even if matchmaking DID work you still wouldn't be matched up with your party. The overlapping fuckups just make this funny now.

Calvin Johnson Jr. fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 16, 2014

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I think we can all agree that someone will be losing their job over the botched multiplayer. And we can all laugh at that person.

I'm still enjoying the gently caress out of the original campaigns in the meanwhile.

Also, lol at the entitled pro nerd selling his boner over it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

shaitan posted:

I think we can all agree that someone will be losing their job over the botched multiplayer. And we can all laugh at that person.
This is Microsoft/343 Industries we're talking about, son.

If anything the person'll be made architect of the entire XBoneLive network.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

ethanol posted:

people please don't buy an xbone

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?
If I don't care about multiplayer and I've never played any of the Halo games, is this worth getting for the single-player experience? Is that part working right now or is it broken like the multiplayer?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

If I don't care about multiplayer and I've never played any of the Halo games, is this worth getting for the single-player experience? Is that part working right now or is it broken like the multiplayer?

The SP works very well and halo 2 anniversary looks particularly good with its retouches

i think there might be some problems with scoring or leaderboards atm though

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

Even the SP is full of bugs. If you play it completely single player you might end up with some gamebreaking (broken checkpoint system) bugs but co-op also presents copious amounts of lag in most cases as well if you go that route.

It's a shitshow.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

If I don't care about multiplayer and I've never played any of the Halo games, is this worth getting for the single-player experience?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

bunch of clowns, the sp is fun

games journalists :gay: will back that up if you are seriously listening to the above posters

ethanol fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 16, 2014

• Locked thread