Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
New killer looks fun and good, but just after a new killer comes out is the worst time to play killer.

I don't want to spend money to sit in lobby for 10 minutes+, then enter a game with a 0 perk killer I am unskilled with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The hag is amazing with how much anger she generates, even if you don't camp being able to bounce back to your apparitions will make people accuse you of camping.

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

Haven't been able to beat any The Hag trial yet. I haven't quite mastered techniques to beating her so right now she really has the upper hand.

Apparently you can render her perks useless by destroying all totems on the map but she can still teleport and stuff

Oh, and the new survivor Ace is all but useless

quote:

UP THE ANTE: useless.
ACE IN THE HOLE: cute. useless.
OPEN-HANDED: useless.

Badchay fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 10, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i've put another couple hours in in the last few days, and while i'm still able to wrench fun out of the game the point i raised months ago back when i was complaining about this game the last time seems to still be the case: there is, in fact, no such thing as 'competent survivor play'. the best thing a survivor can hope for is to provide a killer more opportunities to mess up, which killers rarely do beyond rank 12 or so. meanwhile, success zones for skill checks have been shrunk and successive skill checks are more likely to spawn one in the gently caress you zone in the first quarter of the wheel, where even the best streamers frequently drop the check. this apparently is to counter the horribly OP move of 'sitting down to a generator for like a minute straight and not loving up'. also, hook styles are now determined by the map, not the killer, because apparently it's super OP to know what you're up against early on. i would have thought this was fine back at release, but with the addition of myers and the hag especially it's critical information because they fundamentally change how the survivors play the game.

survivors win and lose based upon the competence of the killer first and their own second. i continue to be dumbfounded that people think this is an okay status quo. i'll still likely be playing for another day, maybe two, because when you do get a slightly boneheaded killer the game is fun, but i do not feel accountable when i lose and having gone up to the single digit ranks a couple times i know what's waiting for me there is nothing but frustration.

Badchay posted:

Haven't been able to beat any The Hag trial yet. I haven't quite mastered techniques to beating her so right now she really has the upper hand.

Apparently you can render her perks useless by destroying all totems on the map but she can still teleport and stuff
the teleportation power is kind of absurd just because there is no way to neutralize her wards. if a hag hooks someone, you can be goddamn guaranteed she is dropping a ward right next to the hook and you can be goddamn guaranteed she is teleporting there the second she sees it activate. you really just need a way to spot and spoil her wards before they activate the same way we can disarm a tater trap's little toys and she'll be fine, but right now she's new release nurse levels of bad.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 10, 2016

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The hags biggest problem is that she's to drat sexy. :newlol:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The hag doesn't really seem all that great to me. She's far worse than the current nurse at killing survivors.

As far as survivor gameplay goes, they definitely have a large bag of tricks to pull from and if anything are still slightly overpowered when it comes to their perks.

Where a lot of survivors gently caress up is that they get super tunnel vision when it comes to being altruistic when sometimes the best course of action is to just ignore the hooked survivor and leave or finish doing generators.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

The hag doesn't really seem all that great to me. She's far worse than the current nurse at killing survivors.

As far as survivor gameplay goes, they definitely have a large bag of tricks to pull from and if anything are still slightly overpowered when it comes to their perks.

Where a lot of survivors gently caress up is that they get super tunnel vision when it comes to being altruistic when sometimes the best course of action is to just ignore the hooked survivor and leave or finish doing generators.

their perks mean absolute dick once they have been spotted, even sprint burst has fallen out of favor in the meta it seems (from reading the steam forums) because people finally realized that it only looks good on paper. it is no mistake that the two most powerful perks in the game are STILL spine chill and premonition, which are instrumental to not getting spotted. the literal only perk i can think of that addresses that entire thing is the 'pass a skill check to stab the killer' perk which works once per game and is honestly cold recompense for the numerous ways sabotage has been nerfed (which, to be fair, it needed to be - it actually did very little to change the overall balance of the game, it just pissed off the killer and made iron grasp an annoying prerequisite to not waste your life).

so as near as i can tell, 'good survivor play' simply means 'don't get spotted, ever', which is a load of poo poo because that effectively eschews the entire boldness category for survivors, totems aside. the basic setup is the same as it always was: spot survivor, chase survivor, use slews of advantages to never lose survivor, stab survivor with latency advantage because you're the host. if you're the first survivor to get spotted in a match, you are loving dead and you're having no fun. there's basically no questions asked on that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Coolguye posted:

survivors win and lose based upon the competence of the killer first and their own second. i continue to be dumbfounded that people think this is an okay status quo. i'll still likely be playing for another day, maybe two, because when you do get a slightly boneheaded killer the game is fun, but i do not feel accountable when i lose and having gone up to the single digit ranks a couple times i know what's waiting for me there is nothing but frustration.

Coolguye posted:

so as near as i can tell, 'good survivor play' simply means 'don't get spotted, ever', which is a load of poo poo because that effectively eschews the entire boldness category for survivors, totems aside. the basic setup is the same as it always was: spot survivor, chase survivor, use slews of advantages to never lose survivor, stab survivor with latency advantage because you're the host. if you're the first survivor to get spotted in a match, you are loving dead and you're having no fun. there's basically no questions asked on that.

This was my experience with the game and has kept me from wanting to give it another chance. A killer played at the skill ceiling will always beat a survivor played at the skill ceiling, and the ceilings are very low in this game, so that situation is not a hypoethetical.

It feels like half of a game was implemented. The moment a chase starts, there is a massive dearth of mechanics.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

and the few that are there tend to slant toward the killer as the host of the game. i cannot count how many times i have been stabbed after fully clearing a window, because i was apparently still back there on the killer's side, or how many times i have dropped a pallet on a killer, gotten a stun, but inexplicably teleported to the wrong side of the pallet and given the killer a loving hug because who goddamn knows why. and then after downing me the killer breaks the pallet in an eyeblink because he has brutal strength and that's a perk that apparently really needs to exist.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I've basically stopped playing the pub queue entirely at this point. I try to always be "polite" as a survivor - no infinites, no running 4 man sabo teams, no decisive strike, etc. and every other match I still get spawned right next to to the killer and proceed to get facecamped to death inside the first minute while three other randos flail around instead of taking the opportunity to get generators up. The fun now for me exists in running KYF groups with people I know and like and who all agree that perhaps slugging and camping are dick moves.

Hag is an interesting killer and I can't say I've played her enough to give her a fair shot, but it seems like she needs balancing real bad. Not being able to disarm her traps as a survivor sucks, but she can only blink back to them if she's within 36 meters when they get set off, so on the one hand she can sometimes feel crazy OP from a survivor perspective while at the same time the person playing her is just watching traps trigger across the map and going "Well okay then..." Playing against friends last night I found it pretty easy to keep an eye on her and deliberately trigger her traps when she was out of range to keep her coming back to reset them.

The new map could use some work too, I think. Thematically I love it, but it's so drat busy I'm not sure it works. The cattails that are all over the map are incredible hiding places and make it almost comically easy to make a shitload of noise at a generator and then just walk ten feet away and crouch to duck the killer. Also holy poo poo I felt so bad for my friend playing Billy on that map - I hope you don't like chainsaw dashing!

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
A few tips to deal with the Hag :

Shine a flashlight at a Hag trap to destroy it.
Shine a flashlight at the core of one of her illusions to dispel it before the Hag can even teleport to it.
Unless she uses a specific add-on, she needs to be in a certain range of an illusion to be able to teleport to it.
Without add-ons, she can only place 11 traps.
Without a specific add-on, her illusions have no physical presence, which means you can run through them. And if they have a physical presence, she cannot teleport to them at all.
When you trigger a trap, your camera snaps to it. Be mindful of that to not start running in the wrong direction.
There is a 3 second delay when the illusion pops up where the Hag cannot act if she jumps to it. That delay starts at the moment of the trap trigger.
She is smaller then the other killers so her viewpoint is lower to the ground. It’s easier to break line of sight with her with certain obstacles.
She is slower then the other killers but faster then the Nurse.
Her perks rely on their associated totem not being destroyed. Once that totem is destroyed, the perk is disabled for the rest of the game. Active totems glow and emit a sound.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

haha where the gently caress is the flashlight thing mentioned, i haven't seen that anywhere

i mean i believe you but jesus.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Next killer is Pyramid Head. When he holds right mouse it turns the world into a small single room Hellscape for 30 minutes. 5 second cooldown. Mori animation is :nws:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Cyberdud posted:

Her perks rely on their associated totem not being destroyed. Once that totem is destroyed, the perk is disabled for the rest of the game. Active totems glow and emit a sound.

This is the big thing that's stopping me from putting points in her. I already break every totem on the map because they're easy as poo poo to see and I like the 400 point payoff for something that is fairly quick and easy. I'm not sure I'm gonna feel super great about having my perks straight up disappear when one of my dumb friends manages to luck their way into my totem, even if I've got it surrounded by traps.

Also :laffo: at the flashlight stuff, I didn't know that but I'm gonna bug the hell out of someone tonight. Also for anyone who didn't know, the flashlight seems to have gotten a pretty serious buff. You can stun like a mofo now.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the thing is that her generator destruction perk is so good it doesn't really matter if it gets disabled at a totem cleanse, if you pop it on the most centrally located totem and patrol a few nearby generators you end up putting the onus on the survivors to come find YOU, because a Good result still causes generator regression. it's actually pretty difficult to get any goddamn work done while that thing is up.

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian

Coolguye posted:

the thing is that her generator destruction perk is so good it doesn't really matter if it gets disabled at a totem cleanse, if you pop it on the most centrally located totem and patrol a few nearby generators you end up putting the onus on the survivors to come find YOU, because a Good result still causes generator regression. it's actually pretty difficult to get any goddamn work done while that thing is up.

The bad news is you do not control which Totem on the map hosts your perk. And once good survivors know you are running a totem perk, they will make it their mission to disable it. It’s very hard to defend a totem because they go down so fast.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

guess the hag i was chatting to post-game the other day had nfi what he was talking about then, he told me specifically he got to activate it. that's not hugely surprising though. still, at least in the generator regression case i don't think it has much to do with defending it for long as much as it does making the survivors commit to it. the hag is even worse to try to run from than normal because she recovers from stuns so goddamn quick.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Yeah but any half blind idiot can loop her for days, provided you don't accidentally run over a trap. I don't have any of her specific perks unlocked but I spent one game purposely trying to defend my totems just to see how viable it was and it was a loving joke. I mean yeah I know, "get good" and all that, but even so I'm still not sure what the hell she's supposed to be good at aside from punishing altruism.

I really like the idea of a semi-OP perk that can be directly countered by proactive survivors, but I'm not sure totems are the way to implement it.

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Next killer is Pyramid Head. When he holds right mouse it turns the world into a small single room Hellscape for 30 minutes. 5 second cooldown. Mori animation is :nws:

And if that's too hard, he also gets a perk that starts off every trial with all survivors dead.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Just got this game. It's fun but goddamn is it buggy for game that has been released for a while now

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah it's kind of a mess.

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
The game is getting a free weekend on steam this weekend as well as a 30% rebate on the base game and Halloween chapter. In case you wanted to try it out.

Also, a double bloodpoint weekend on Christmas weekend.

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

The killer carrying me:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Cyberdud posted:

The game is getting a free weekend on steam this weekend as well as a 30% rebate on the base game and Halloween chapter. In case you wanted to try it out.

Also, a double bloodpoint weekend on Christmas weekend.

do yourself a favor and do NOT play survivor this weekend. dumb teammates mean a bad time for you every single time, i've just been clowning a ton of free weekend nerds with the wraith and pumping the points back into Claudette. level 1->25 just this weekend.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
Finally started playing again since I heard it was a free weekend and landed on this while clowning people as wraith

He was the only laggy person in the match, everyone else was fine :iiam:

Also my only perk was deerstalker level 1 :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I've noticed there's a substantial number of whiners from ranks ~18-15 or so that rage at very little provocation. I kinda feel like they're the first group of people who are really, really trying to be good at the game, but just are not quick or coordinated enough to pull it off, so they start blaming it on everything but themselves.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Coolguye posted:

I've noticed there's a substantial number of whiners from ranks ~18-15 or so that rage at very little provocation. I kinda feel like they're the first group of people who are really, really trying to be good at the game, but just are not quick or coordinated enough to pull it off, so they start blaming it on everything but themselves.

The guy was a pallet camper, so I started backstepping every time I walked near one and he fed me a bunch of brutality :shrug:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Coolguye posted:

This sounds like what the hanjo guy experienced when trying to get to the lowest possible rank in overwatch.

quote:

“In the mid-30s, I met the angriest people in the world,” Brown said. “It’s somewhere in that mid-30s and upper 20s [area], these are just the angriest people in the world. They think they should be doing better and they’re really not good enough, or these are just people stuck on really bad streaks.”

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Haquer posted:

The guy was a pallet camper, so I started backstepping every time I walked near one and he fed me a bunch of brutality :shrug:

When people camp pallets I just walk up to them, wait for them to throw them down, smash them and move on. I've had games where I smashed every single pallet on one side of the map and they still hadn't gotten all the generators. Chasing them around like that is definitely more rewarding for the survivor than the killer, though; they get many more boldness points than you get hunting points. I suspect the devs have broken the chase aspect from the killer's side in their effort to stomp out point farming, because it always ends almost immediately from my end, even when I'm still hot on their tail, and awards me like 6 points. Fortunately you get a bunch for repeatedly finding the same survivor or I'd never get 5000 hunting points.

On the lag note, I played a few survivor games with my friend and about 80% of the killers we played against had poo poo terrible Internet that rubberbanded us all over the place. It didn't used to be like that, but survivor is just not a very enjoyable experience anymore. The killers we got matched up against were awful hosts, and we got straight-up disconnected from the majority of those games.

Apropos of nothing, Whispers is a great perk that makes pulling off the sweep much easier. It's so convenient to know when a survivor is definitely still near you, helps you focus your searching (though it can also waste your time). Nothing like having the second-to-last guy on the hook and knowing for a fact that the last one is nearby and not going to save him.

e: Is it just me or are high level survivors really condescending in how they treat you as the killer? They act like you are stupid as hell, repairing generators right next to you, pallet camping, going back to the generator you just chased them off as soon as you walk away from it. It makes it more satisfying to hook them when they're eminently disrespectful, I guess.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 19, 2016

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Ran into my first hacker as killer today. Ran faster than Evil WIthin III Michael Myers. His movement was very jerky/laggy too. Just quit out of the game because gently caress that poo poo.

HateCrimeDoxNet
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
CRAZY GARBAGE

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 19, 2016

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Coolguye posted:

do yourself a favor and do NOT play survivor this weekend. dumb teammates mean a bad time for you every single time, i've just been clowning a ton of free weekend nerds with the wraith and pumping the points back into Claudette. level 1->25 just this weekend.

Seriously. Between dumb teammates and a bunch of new killers who have never played survivor and think facecamping is rad there is really no reason to play survivor during a free weekend other than "I have done something bad and must suffer to atone for my sins."

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

The Friday the 13th game which is coming out early next year is starting to have streamed betas, it's a similar style game to this, might want to check it out if you're burned out on this one. It is a slightly different structure, 1 killer vs 7 survivors and the map is MUCH larger but the killer can sense where the survivors are depending on how much noise they are making and has movement abilities to teleport around the map and chase after people quickly. So it's much less of a 'oh the killer saw me, guess i run my rear end off while hopping obstacles' game and much more of a hiding game. It IS possible to escape / fight back though, and you get weapons that you can attack the killer with but it's dangerous as he can usually overpower you anyway. There are multiple escape conditions, such as 2 cars that can be repaired for some of the survivors (not all) can ride in to escape, or a radio to call for rescue from outside the map which opens one of the exits after a lengthy timer. Also, the kill animations are loving intense.

Anyway, it's similar enough that I figured people might be interested in it since there aren't many other games like this, hard to say how the balance is ultimately since right now people are still learning the game and discovering stuff but it looks interesting. I've heard it's going to be more expensive though, like $40 to start possibly? People are streaming it for the next few days though if you want to see what it's like in advance.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah I'm gonna wait for the first round of reviews but I've been keeping an eye on it. DbD burns me out pretty quickly because of how trivial it feels to play killer and how futile it feels to play survivor a lot of times. if the new 13th game makes hiding more of a thing on you if you get spotted or make chases more accountable/fun then i'll likely play the hell out of it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Friday the 13th is loving dope, its got major balance issues but its just a beta so I'm sure they'll sort them out.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Alteisen posted:

Friday the 13th is loving dope, its got major balance issues but its just a beta so I'm sure they'll sort them out.

Well all said this about DbD too

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah balance is basically the heart of my complaint right now

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Haquer posted:

Well all said this about DbD too

Well I'd expect Jason to be overpowered, he's loving Jason.

Just needs some tweaks to make it more fair, it also really encourages teamwork, like you HAVE to work together or Jason will just pick you off easily.

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
Double Bloodpoint weekend has begun and lasts until the 22 at 8PM EST. With the new smaller bloodwebs, it makes leveling a breeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonmaw
Mar 3, 2010

Dr. Funk's
House o' Love
Real tired of getting facecamped by killers. Is the only counter a full SWF? Because that's some nonsense.

• Locked thread