Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

McDragon posted:

Oh my goodness the (I think) last kingdom on the Moon is amazing and I haven't even gone anywhere on it yet. Low gravity Mario is good stuff. Also I found a painting earlier that went to the mushroom kingdom and I love that the moons there are stars.

Also those birds with the needle noses were tremendous fun.

Also also I just realised why the Broodals are rabbits.

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Is this game good enough that it's worth buying a Switch for? I'm considering selling my PS4, Wii U + Breath of the Wild + Pro Controller + other games and getting the bundle. I haven't touched the PS4 in months since building a gaming PC but the exclusive Nintendo game map is pretty appealing... I bought my Wii U originally solely for Smash Bros but I have to imagine something will get announced sooner or later.

Also is the Mario bundle red nicer [subjectively of course] than the Neon colour ones? I know it's $20 more CAD and I'll probably never take the Switch out of the dock but it looks nice in pictures.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 2, 2017

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hell yea this game is amazing. I’d sell my soul for it if I had to.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah but on a controller with a ton of buttons not putting these extra motions on traditional controls is really odd especially since shaking a standard gamepad isn't fun.

If its any consolation I'm halfway through the total moons and its the only one I remember needing motion movements. You'll be fine.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
There's a lady Goomba right next to the Odyssey in Lake Kingdom, how do I get a dude-ba there? I can't figure out a way to make the jump from the steps to dry land and they die in the water even if you bring an entire giant tower.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

So am I wrong in thinking that This game found a way to canonize all the Mario games together as a whole. All those early 2D Marios? That was just him adventuring in a series of those 2D Pipe worlds

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_rabbit

quote:

In Japanese tradition, rabbits live on the Moon where they make mochi, the popular snack of mashed sticky rice. This comes from interpreting the pattern of dark patches on the moon as a rabbit standing on tiptoes on the left pounding on an usu, a Japanese mortar.

Goes with the moon theme the game has going I think.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There's a lady Goomba right next to the Odyssey in Lake Kingdom, how do I get a dude-ba there? I can't figure out a way to make the jump from the steps to dry land and they die in the water even if you bring an entire giant tower.

i honestly just jumped from the leveled section in the middle of the staircase to the semi-dry land the mermaid is on

try it again?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Anybody know where the hidden cap person is in Shiveria? I figure he has to be somewhere in the town/racetrack because I don't remember seeing any non-enemy characters elsewhere but I wasn't having any luck tracking it down.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Way I did it was building a big tower, then jumping them across. The ones on the bottom sacrifice themselves but most of the time you can get one of the top ones across.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

So am I wrong in thinking that This game found a way to canonize all the Mario games together as a whole. All those early 2D Marios? That was just him adventuring in a series of those 2D Pipe worlds

I keep thinking about this

If they had made Tostarena straight up Sarasaland from Super Mario Land (even though it's pretty clearly inspired by it) then they'd be covering like 90% of the bases of the franchise canonically

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Godinster posted:

Is this game good enough that it's worth buying a Switch for? I'm considering selling my PS4, Wii U + Breath of the Wild + Pro Controller + other games and getting the bundle. I haven't touched the PS4 in months since building a gaming PC but the exclusive Nintendo game map is pretty appealing... I bought my Wii U originally solely for Smash Bros but I have to imagine something will get announced sooner or later.

Also is the Mario bundle red nicer [subjectively of course] than the Neon colour ones? I know it's $20 more CAD and I'll probably never take the Switch out of the dock but it looks nice in pictures.

If you're on the fence about wanting a Switch, it's definitely worth picking one up to play Mario now and look forward to the rest of the line-up.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

McDragon posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_rabbit

Goes with the moon theme the game has going I think.

aww thats really cool

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Godinster posted:

Is this game good enough that it's worth buying a Switch for? I'm considering selling my PS4, Wii U + Breath of the Wild + Pro Controller + other games and getting the bundle. I haven't touched the PS4 in months since building a gaming PC

Don't pawn all your stuff but yeah get a switch

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

PantsBandit posted:

Anybody know where the hidden cap person is in Shiveria? I figure he has to be somewhere in the town/racetrack because I don't remember seeing any non-enemy characters elsewhere but I wasn't having any luck tracking it down.

he's in the racetrack lobby

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The motion controls suck because 90% of the time I’m playing in portable mode and they’re wildly inconvenient in such a circumstance

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

he's in the racetrack lobby

Huh, I looked there and must have missed him somehow. Thanks!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I've only played it docked and I can't imagine how annoying motion controls must be in portable mode. Do you just have to shake the whole thing? That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Huh, I looked there and must have missed him somehow. Thanks!

I'm fairly certain that he's in the second lobby that the moon rock blocked the entrance to

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

I'm fairly certain that he's in the second lobby that the moon rock blocked the entrance to

Oooooh ok that would explain it. I didn't think to check there.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

McDragon posted:

I've only played it docked and I can't imagine how annoying motion controls must be in portable mode. Do you just have to shake the whole thing? That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Yeah I play almost exclusively portable mode since I travel a lot. Forced motion controls for certain moons isn't possible in handheld for certain stars. For example the moon on top of the pillar accessed by bullet bill in sand kingdom.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kaewan posted:

Yeah I play almost exclusively portable mode since I travel a lot. Forced motion controls for certain moons isn't possible in handheld for certain stars. For example the moon on top of the pillar accessed by bullet bill in sand kingdom.
I got that one by shaking my entire Switch like an idiot.

Thankfully a bunch of the others you can hit Y instead (like if you need to get higher with the plant dudes)... but still bad design.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Beat the last post-game world last night. What an incredible ride this has been

One question about the hint art, though: Is it possible to make it impossible to get the Art achievement Moons from Toadette if you end up finding the Moons before finding their hint art?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Lobster Harmonica posted:

I keep thinking about this

If they had made Tostarena straight up Sarasaland from Super Mario Land (even though it's pretty clearly inspired by it) then they'd be covering like 90% of the bases of the franchise canonically

All I'm saying is where the heck is Dinosaur World and all the crazy lands that's got, huh? DLC? (please say yes Nintendo because holy hell)

Also why is Pauline moaning all her lines?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The 2D Mario Galaxy style level in postgame was so out of the left field and so good

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I ADORE this game, I just beat the Moon Kingdom and I am now post game.

Please someone answer the following because I've seen it every where online but no confirmation.

Possible Endgame Kingdom Spoilers:

Is Delfino in this?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Diabetic posted:

I ADORE this game, I just beat the Moon Kingdom and I am now post game.

Please someone answer the following because I've seen it every where online but no confirmation.

Possible Endgame Kingdom Spoilers:

Is Delfino in this?

No

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

evilmiera posted:

All I'm saying is where the heck is Dinosaur World and all the crazy lands that's got, huh? DLC? (please say yes Nintendo because holy hell)

I keep thinking about a Luigi DLC where he doesn't have cappy (but can jump higher to compensate for the lessened mobility) and it's all just straight platforming

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

evilmiera posted:

Japan.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
This game is going to take me some time to 100%. Postgame spoilers I've been in the postgame for at least 5 hours of game time and have just barely over 300 moons. I have fewer than 40 of the moons in the Mushroom Kingdom and no idea where most of the rest are even hiding. The amount of content in this game is surprising, and doing it without a walkthrough or even the in-game hints and just trying to enjoy myself as I pick off a few moons here and there means this game is going to last me.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

grand theft grotto posted:

This game is going to take me some time to 100%. Postgame spoilers I've been in the postgame for at least 5 hours of game time and have just barely over 300 moons. I have fewer than 40 of the moons in the Mushroom Kingdom and no idea where most of the rest are even hiding. The amount of content in this game is surprising, and doing it without a walkthrough or even the in-game hints and just trying to enjoy myself as I pick off a few moons here and there means this game is going to last me.

Same here. I might get a hint once in a bit, but I'm saving up for the skeleton costume right now so that isn't going to be a thing for another few days at least.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there a moon rock anywhere in Bowser's Kingdom?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Yes I remember seeing one. Just not sure where. Hope this helps! :)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Internet Kraken posted:

After completing the moon, Cappy will make special note to mention and highlight the moon rock in each Kingdom once you return. Check your map.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Post game could have been more expanded, had more interesting extra areas, etc. Dark Side and Darker Side feel super tacked on, and Mushroom Kingdom feels rather bare/nominal. It’s like the big set piece is Peach’s Castle and the rest is generic, and even then the castle itself is kinda light on features. I would have loved a hidden slide or even a basic recreation of the Mario 64 areas (basement, second floor, top floor w/ clock). I get that there’s only so much they could make, but getting 250+ moons isn’t really worth it IMO.

Also at some point I thought I had heard there was a Yoshi’s Island area of some sort so I’m really bummed that didn’t make it in :negative:

Personally, I stopped at 500 and didn’t feel the need to complete what I had unlocked via moon totals in the post-game.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 2, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah, take the pipe that the Toad says you'll want to take (which spits you out near the end) and then backtrack just a little bit. Might have to take the Lakitu over the poison lake, I've honestly forgotten, but it's there somewhere.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

just stumbled across the deep woods in wooded kingdom

:stare:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Kaubocks posted:

just stumbled across the deep woods in wooded kingdom

:stare:

That was a huge "wait wtf..." moment for me.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I would've absolutely lost my poo poo, moreso than the glee I already felt, if (post-game) Peach's Castle had been a 1:1 replica of Mario 64 with bonus areas or the boss rematches placed where all the levels are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Manoueverable posted:

I would've absolutely lost my poo poo, moreso than the glee I already felt, if (post-game) Peach's Castle had been a 1:1 replica of Mario 64 with bonus areas or the boss rematches placed where all the levels are.

This is what I was hoping too. It would have been incredible. I'd pay money for a DLC that recreated it.

• Locked thread