Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Not trying to be a dick, but what is the point of a requester warehouse? Is there ever a reason to have 30K of an item available all at once in one place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nevets posted:

Not trying to be a dick, but what is the point of a requester warehouse? Is there ever a reason to have 30K of an item available all at once in one place?

I assume it's useful for logistics heavy builds, I'm using those ones as buffers for the ore processing system, and I made them requesters so that they can also suck in any random bits of ore I end up trashing while faffing about with belts.

I can do the same thing with a chest and an inserter sure but it's easier to put it on the warehouse. Basically it combines the function of a warehouse (storing lots of stuff) and a bunch of requester chests and inserters (connecting to the logistics network)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What are some cool beaconed red-circuit factories? I guess I could just use the same bot based layout I use for my smelters with millions of requester chests but that's boring.

Nevets posted:

Storage for trainstops. Although I use buffer warehouses.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LLSix posted:

What are some cool beaconed red-circuit factories? I guess I could just use the same bot based layout I use for my smelters with millions of requester chests but that's boring.

Define "cool." Is cool stupid circuit tricks, or is cool ratio optimized mega factories?

Because I don't have the latter, and it might take some convincing that I have the former.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Alright, I take it back, Helmod is amazing, once I figured out how to use it. I've got like 10 different assembly lines with it now for charting everything from blue science production to what's the best method to produce glass.

After over 80 hours of 26 green algae farms, I'm finally getting ready to replace them with ~30 tree farms producing wood, both saving a ton of charcoal not feeding the farms and making wood plastic a reality just in time for my blue science line. .16 seablock is just nuts...

Here's a general overview of my base. Just finished making 1000 large solar panels and 1000 highcap accumulators, need another 1000 solar but it'll do for now. Also got 20 desert upgrade farms doing Nilaubergine -> vegetable oil -> fuel oil -> 47 tier1 oil burning generators.

On the right side are 60 mk2 electrolyzers feeding 12 mk2 liquidifiers -> 24 charcoal filtration units -> 48 crystallizers, 8 of each ore. I'm running each through floatation cells, ore sorting then a general warehouse feeding 12 individual ones via loaders. I've spent the past ~6-7 hours building up ore reserves for a blue science push. Once I unlock the next tier of ore techs, I intend to redo most of the middle setup to produce individual ores via catalysts.. fun times.

Smelting setup, and at the lower left you can see my highcap accumulator 'temporary' production line. I'm piping in methanol from the green algae farms above left. You can also see a warehouse that's 90% full of concrete that I need to place.

And then over on the left we have blue algae experiments, and the aforementioned desert farms and generators. Just got done processing ~120k crystal dust from the Nilau into 30k of each catalyst to jumpstart the individual ore processing in a few hours.

And the starting area with the initial wind generators I got. I've come so far... and so far left to go, lol.

And one more, electrolyzer/flare stack arrays. Got overflow vents on the gas tanks. I've burned off so much hydrogen... wish I could use it for power.

edit: I did add Nanobots and Squeak Through. Laying out the solar farm and the ore lines would have taken a LOT longer without nanobots..

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 26, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

OwlFancier posted:

I assume it's useful for logistics heavy builds, I'm using those ones as buffers for the ore processing system, and I made them requesters so that they can also suck in any random bits of ore I end up trashing while faffing about with belts.

I can do the same thing with a chest and an inserter sure but it's easier to put it on the warehouse. Basically it combines the function of a warehouse (storing lots of stuff) and a bunch of requester chests and inserters (connecting to the logistics network)

I'd have thought buffer warehouses would be better here, so that bots can also grab from it if you're actually requesting the raw ore anywhere else.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Ambaire posted:

Here's a general overview of my base. Just finished making 1000 large solar panels and 1000 highcap accumulators, need another 1000 solar but it'll do for now. Also got 20 desert upgrade farms doing Nilaubergine -> vegetable oil -> fuel oil -> 47 tier1 oil burning generators.

I take it the top left is your solar farm? Those off-90 degree angles are making my eye twitch.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

xzzy posted:

Define "cool." Is cool stupid circuit tricks, or is cool ratio optimized mega factories?

Because I don't have the latter, and it might take some convincing that I have the former.

That's certainly an interesting use of the circuit network.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jabor posted:

I'd have thought buffer warehouses would be better here, so that bots can also grab from it if you're actually requesting the raw ore anywhere else.

Maybe? I've not used buffers so I wasn't sure what they did.

I'm not using raw ore anywhere else though, it's the central ore processing intake.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

xzzy posted:

SO yeah, I can't figure out wtf you're doing with those circuits. Just on-demand supply of materials from the 3 belts?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Nth Doctor posted:

I take it the top left is your solar farm? Those off-90 degree angles are making my eye twitch.

Yes. Bit of a pain to run through even with squeakthru, but it's a space efficient tiling method.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Canuckistan posted:

SO yeah, I can't figure out wtf you're doing with those circuits. Just on-demand supply of materials from the 3 belts?

Yep, they're set up so that when chests get below a threshold the inserters activate to supply more raw materials. I wanted to learn circuits better and I read a thread about single belt factories and my dumb brain decided to make it a project.

I have no illusions it's efficient but it's pretty.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I need to learn how to do circuits. I tried to make a simple circuit that would store X number of items in a chest and move anything > X onto a belt. It should be dirt simple but i couldn't figure it out myself. Time to watch some more youtube vidyas.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Canuckistan posted:

I need to learn how to do circuits. I tried to make a simple circuit that would store X number of items in a chest and move anything > X onto a belt. It should be dirt simple but i couldn't figure it out myself. Time to watch some more youtube vidyas.

You can kinda do this without circuits by using the red X

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Yup. I could just stick a limited chest off the belt and scoop up everything until I had what I needed, but I wanted to try it with a logic circuit just for giggles.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

You have this setup, where "<" is an inserter things from right to left and "C" is the chest: < C <
Both inserters are connected to the chest.
The inserter putting things into the chest is set to activate when [item] < X
The inserter taking items out of the chest is set to activate when [item] > X

This will keep the number of items around X, until the belt is backed up. At that point, items will be added until X is reached.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Canuckistan posted:

You use a decider combinator for this, drag a wire from your chest to the input side of the combinator and make the parameters of the combinator your item on the left box, and the number you want stored in the chest in the right box. Set the drop down to greater than.

In the output set the icon to whatever makes you happy and select the '1' option. Then drag a wire from the combinator output to your inserter, and set the enabled condition on the inserter to match the icon you just chose, set the drop down to equals, and the right box to '1'.

A blueprint example:

code:
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
Note how the light on the inserter turns green when the chest has more than 50 stone in it. Hovering over the combinator shows the input/output values too which are also handy for troubleshooting.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

OwlFancier posted:

Public service announcement: Requester warehouses have a smaller capacity than normal warehouses.

Please tell me that is ore on the map and not water :P

Chest explosions are always fun, especially in the middle of your main bus. You find things that shouldn't be there for hours as you build your factory.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Ambaire posted:

Alright, I take it back, Helmod is amazing, once I figured out how to use it. I've got like 10 different assembly lines with it now for charting everything from blue science production to what's the best method to produce glass.

After over 80 hours of 26 green algae farms, I'm finally getting ready to replace them with ~30 tree farms producing wood, both saving a ton of charcoal not feeding the farms and making wood plastic a reality just in time for my blue science line. .16 seablock is just nuts...

On the right side are 60 mk2 electrolyzers feeding 12 mk2 liquidifiers -> 24 charcoal filtration units -> 48 crystallizers, 8 of each ore. I'm running each through floatation cells, ore sorting then a general warehouse feeding 12 individual ones via loaders. I've spent the past ~6-7 hours building up ore reserves for a blue science push. Once I unlock the next tier of ore techs, I intend to redo most of the middle setup to produce individual ores via catalysts.. fun times.

Smelting setup, and at the lower left you can see my highcap accumulator 'temporary' production line. I'm piping in methanol from the green algae farms above left. You can also see a warehouse that's 90% full of concrete that I need to place.

And then over on the left we have blue algae experiments, and the aforementioned desert farms and generators. Just got done processing ~120k crystal dust from the Nilau into 30k of each catalyst to jumpstart the individual ore processing in a few hours.

And the starting area with the initial wind generators I got. I've come so far... and so far left to go, lol.

And one more, electrolyzer/flare stack arrays. Got overflow vents on the gas tanks. I've burned off so much hydrogen... wish I could use it for power.

edit: I did add Nanobots and Squeak Through. Laying out the solar farm and the ore lines would have taken a LOT longer without nanobots..
This is amazing! I hope to get here someday. Have any blueprints or helmod configs to share?

Does anyone know how to get helmod working where some of the product gets looped back in? Like, trying to configure for charcoal/carbon output when some of the charcoal is used to make CO2 for the algae farms and carbon. Some googling indicated I should split off the blocks and have separate items within the production line, but that it didn't work for me.

My current 20 hour (save time, not 100% play time) mess:

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 26, 2018

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

LLSix posted:

This is one that I was really happy with how it worked out.

https://teoxoy.github.io/factorio-b...G6Ikv8D0dCQsA==

The setup isn't completely bot friendly as you do need to individually place and make sure the every "chest" is limited to three stacks (one each green, plastic, wire). But its correct ratio, works fully and has pretty good (though I suppose not perfect) beacon coverage.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

LLSix posted:

here's a non-bot layout I ripped from somewhere, don't remember if I used it or not. In my last game I decided to bot it all so all my beacon recipes are bot-based.
code:
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

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Reverend Dr posted:

This is one that I was really happy with how it worked out.

https://teoxoy.github.io/factorio-b...G6Ikv8D0dCQsA==

The setup isn't completely bot friendly as you do need to individually place and make sure the every "chest" is limited to three stacks (one each green, plastic, wire). But its correct ratio, works fully and has pretty good (though I suppose not perfect) beacon coverage.

Clever use of cargo wagons. I keep forgetting you can do that.

Bhodi posted:

here's a non-bot layout I ripped from somewhere, don't remember if I used it or not. In my last game I decided to bot it all so all my beacon recipes are bot-based.
code:
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

That one's pretty good. Almost as beacon efficient as my boring bot row.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

Bhodi posted:

Does anyone know how to get helmod working where some of the product gets looped back in? Like, trying to configure for charcoal/carbon output when some of the charcoal is used to make CO2 for the algae farms and carbon. Some googling indicated I should split off the blocks and have separate items within the production line, but that it didn't work for me.
Usually if you add something below which consumes a product produced above, it can be balanced out with a bit of capacity %age tweaking. There's probably a better way but for the sulfur loop here it worked fine (while simultaneously it couldn't figure out the filter frame loop):

Dunno-Lars posted:

Please tell me that is ore on the map and not water :P

Chest explosions are always fun, especially in the middle of your main bus. You find things that shouldn't be there for hours as you build your factory.
Even more fun on top of spaghetti:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Mario posted:

Even more fun on top of spaghetti:

It kinda looks like the world's biggest CPU.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Solumin posted:

You have this setup, where "<" is an inserter things from right to left and "C" is the chest: < C <
Both inserters are connected to the chest.
The inserter putting things into the chest is set to activate when [item] < X
The inserter taking items out of the chest is set to activate when [item] > X

This will keep the number of items around X, until the belt is backed up. At that point, items will be added until X is reached.
You want to have one of the inserters active on item equal to or less/more than x, otherwise when the amount of items is exactly x both Inserters will deactivate and the setup will deadlock unless you have something else changing the content as well.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is Fluid pressure a thing in this game? And does it matter if I build my storage tanks closer to my pumpjacks, or my chemical plant?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Away all Goats posted:

Is Fluid pressure a thing in this game? And does it matter if I build my storage tanks closer to my pumpjacks, or my chemical plant?

Fluid pressure is most definitely a thing. Pipes and storage tanks try to equalize with their neighbors in terms of capacity (so a 50% tank will only try to get a connected pipe to 50%) and over a long enough distance pressure can drop quite a bit if there's a sink on the other end that's consuming at least as fast as you're producing. This is somewhat fixable with pumps, if you really need to have a long pipe for some reason. Additionally, underground pipes have less pressure loss than a similarly long string of regular pipe due to them being treated as only 2 pipes because of an implementation quirk.

If you're concerned about this at all, the first step is to put pumps on the inputs of tanks so they don't spill backwards into their source pipes. Depending on what you're trying to do, you may want to put pumps on the outputs as well. After that, if you have an exceptionally long section of pipe and you're noticing a consistent, large drop in pressure far away from the source, consider putting some pumps along the way to prevent fluid from flowing backwards.

Note that one of the devs recently said they want to overhaul this because it's so weird and confusing, so this may be completely invalid in a couple of months.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Away all Goats posted:

Just want to point out that if you're messing with fluid wagons, having storage tank -> pump -> wagon makes them fill up almost instantly. If you put even a few bits of pipe between tank and pump they take way longer.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
How big is too big when it comes to expanding your factory with walls? When does it make sense to stop expanding your original factory walls and just start making standalone walled resource collection points with a train delivery?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Canuckistan posted:

How big is too big when it comes to expanding your factory with walls? When does it make sense to stop expanding your original factory walls and just start making standalone walled resource collection points with a train delivery?

Around the same time you're wishing you had a train?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Canuckistan posted:

It really comes down to when it becomes too much of a burden to keep extending your wall.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Do you need to protect your tracks with walls?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Generally no. Biters won't deliberately attack tracks, but there are some edge cases where they can attack something next to the track and then go on to attack the track as well.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Canuckistan posted:

Never encase your factory except for aesthetic reasons. The biter ai is dumb enough for you to just put pill boxes on the major attack routes.

This used to have a problem with migrating biters sneaking in and needing handled once your base gets really big, but that's what artillery is for these days.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If you notice biters eating your power poles, and you just plop them back down, they will absolutely get eaten again. When the bugs run into obstructions that are large enough for them to have to re-calculate the path around it, they count anything that they bump into as aggressive. So if you put a power pole on a shoreline, the biters will eat it as they are trying to run around the lake to get to your pollution on the other side. Just replace it over a bit and out of the way. Large power poles themselves aren't large enough to trigger path calculation, which is why biters largely leave them alone (unless it's a massive group of them which can rarely trigger this same behavior)

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 28, 2018

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
That varies a bit when mods get involved though.

Rampant was recommended a few weeks ago and is an example of this. The updated biter AI in the mod will be quite happy to eat rails, poles, and even rocks / trees at random. It'll also travel in more directions so just pillboxing certain paths wont work. And spawn giant waves of 100 green bugs eventually. And is MASSIVELY tuned against you expanding away from your home base.

What I'm saying is Rampant kind of needs some more work because it's only really working as an AI improvement to stop pillboxing in the midgame. It's nightmare fuel trying to keep stuff safe in the first few hours, and then just a slog / deathworld scenario late game. Midgame is unchanged if you box up.

(and the author wants to add tunneling to the biter behaviour too, because gently caress you)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Biters will chow down rails if they're chasing down artillery too. Use artillery train to bombard, train leaves town and a bunch of pissed off bugs roll up looking for meat.

Finding none, they go apeshit on your tracks.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

gently caress me, I started a new SeaBlock game.

WHY CANT I QUIT YOU, FACTORIO?!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Canuckistan posted:

The only way to be sure is to cover the entire planet in concentric rings of walls, completely paved over, with all trees, rocks, cliffs, and water removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or build your walls out of gun turrets, then it doesn't loving matter anymore. :v: