Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is there a reason why Resident Evil 7 is so cheap? Are they banking on DLC sales?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Did anyone here start playing Awesomenauts after it went free to play?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Sininu posted:

Did anyone here start playing Awesomenauts after it went free to play?

Now that's a game I've not heard anything about in years. Helluva a fun time, but not touched the free to play version. Does anybody at all still play it?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Now that's a game I've not heard anything about in years. Helluva a fun time, but not touched the free to play version. Does anybody at all still play it?

About 250-600 people each day it seems. Sucks that when I was enjoying it years ago I had no-one to play it with.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

That's actually pretty decent for such an old indie game. Fond memories of playing Froggy G, clowning on people and always having the Froggy G killing spree music playing, which triggered for everybody upon reaching a killstreak. Leon's theme was another one frequently heard. Good times, might reinstall!

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

The music is what I liked the most about Awesomenauts. What killed it for me was really uneven skill of players that were matched together. :(

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm not sure if I like Hitman 2016! I could probably use those dollars to try out Resident Evil 7. 19 minutes left in the refund window.

Also is My Summer Car supposed to be workable without having to consult a wiki/step-by-step car manual guide? It's certainly...very involved. I want to like it since the premise is so cool but its a lot to take in at once. One thing is for sure though, MSC has the best videogame intro this year for me.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Bert of the Forest posted:

This may sound arbitrary, but I’m a big fan of creature features and I’m wanting to look out for any good gaming equivalents. What are some good games on sale that also feature really good/interesting monster designs? I’ve played through all the Souls games, Dead Space and Resi games, and am looking for something else to scratch my monster itch this season.

Witcher 3 could scratch that interesting monster itch for you. Most of them are based on Eastern European folklore so are a little different from the usual. The game also has specific Witcher Contracts where you track, hunt and kill the monster. I mean, Geralts whole profession of 'Witcher' is to be an itinerant monster slayer.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

buglord posted:

Also is My Summer Car supposed to be workable without having to consult a wiki/step-by-step car manual guide? It's certainly...very involved. I want to like it since the premise is so cool but its a lot to take in at once. One thing is for sure though, MSC has the best videogame intro this year for me.

I think you should follow a guide, I tried to find something that was was more of a collection of hints than full step-by step guide but sadly couldn't find anything like that.

This guide is a bit old so it's missing few parts like battery stuff, but should get you going just fine:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=814389237

Try to do as much stuff as possible yourself without consulting the guide and try to get immersed to that wonderful Finnish world. It's lot more fun if you don't focus on just the car so do all kinds of side activities and just mess around. Might want to turn off permadeath.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 24, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Sininu posted:

I think you should follow a guide, I tried to find something that was was more of a collection of hints than full step-by step guide but sadly couldn't find anything like that.

This guide is a bit old so it's missing few parts like battery stuff, but should get you going just fine:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=814389237

Thanks but i'll probably refund it because a collection of hints was more what I was looking for. I'll sleep on that idea tonight.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Dias posted:

Monolith is a pretty fun lil' game. It feels like Binding of Isaac but without all the bullshit.

I love it. I got to the third floor. Once.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone here played Get Even? That game seems fun. Reminds me of average action adventure games from the ps2 era. I kinda miss those.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Question about Steam purchases:

I have Fallout 4 but none of the DLC. I was thinking about getting the GOTY edition, because it actually works out cheaper than getting the DLC individually. I was wondering, though: if I do this, will I only get the DLC, or will I also get an extra copy of the base game I can then gift to someone?

I want to get a game for my brother, so this would allow me to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is there a reason why Resident Evil 7 is so cheap? Are they banking on DLC sales?

The game is almost a year old

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Ulio posted:

Anyone here played Get Even? That game seems fun. Reminds me of average action adventure games from the ps2 era. I kinda miss those.

Tried it for a horror stream. It's honestly trying to do a bit too much. Imagine trying to bolt a combat system complete with weapons on top of, say, Soma or Observer. You may enjoy it, but it's definitely an unwieldy game.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Drunk in Space posted:

Question about Steam purchases:

I have Fallout 4 but none of the DLC. I was thinking about getting the GOTY edition, because it actually works out cheaper than getting the DLC individually. I was wondering, though: if I do this, will I only get the DLC, or will I also get an extra copy of the base game I can then gift to someone?

I want to get a game for my brother, so this would allow me to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

There are very few games that do this and I'm almost positive Fallout 4 is not one of them. In fact try adding it to your cart and either there or during checkout, before you submit payment, it should tell you something to the tune of "You already own one or several of the items in your cart. You will NOT receive extra copies of the items previously purchased."

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

yeah i tried that for skyrim and got the same message

are the room & room 2 in a bundle somewhere? I was thinking of getting it but enhanced steam shows that this is not the lowest price either game have been in

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Xander77 posted:

Get Biomod or Shifter if you ever replay.

I don't remember those, are they augments I obviously didn't take?

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

vorebane posted:

I don't remember those, are they augments I obviously didn't take?

they're mods for the game, biomod mainly changes up how the augmentations work and I've played shifter but don't remember what it changes anymore. biomod is definately worth it for a replay, making certain augs passive is a big quality-of-life change even if it does make the game a bit easier.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I bought XCOM2 + War of the Chosen. When I start it up, there's a launcher that let's me select basic "XCOM 2" or "War of the Chosen". I haven't played any of this before and am unsure what I should be playing. What should I select for the best experience? Thanks.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

my summer car is cool because when i first started playing that game i couldnt figure out how to build the engine on my own so instead of reading a guide i called my dad and asked him how the gently caress i build a car engine from scratch for a video game and his real world car mechanic experience translated perfectly into the game. i sent him a screenshot of the shelf before i built it and the finished engine and he thought the game was rad.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Tenacious J posted:

I bought XCOM2 + War of the Chosen. When I start it up, there's a launcher that let's me select basic "XCOM 2" or "War of the Chosen". I haven't played any of this before and am unsure what I should be playing. What should I select for the best experience? Thanks.
War of the Chosen is the expansion. Start XCOM2.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yeah My Summer Car is really neat like that

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Thank you! I assume that some of the WotC features get integrated into the base game?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ShadowMar posted:

my summer car is cool because when i first started playing that game i couldnt figure out how to build the engine on my own so instead of reading a guide i called my dad and asked him how the gently caress i build a car engine from scratch for a video game and his real world car mechanic experience translated perfectly into the game. i sent him a screenshot of the shelf before i built it and the finished engine and he thought the game was rad.

I want someone who learned about car mechanicing entirely from MSC to try it in real life and see what happens. I'm not even being sarcastic, it'd be super rad if you could actually rebuild a transmission after learning it in a videogame.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Agnostalgia posted:

they're mods for the game, biomod mainly changes up how the augmentations work and I've played shifter but don't remember what it changes anymore. biomod is definately worth it for a replay, making certain augs passive is a big quality-of-life change even if it does make the game a bit easier.

It's hard to remember exactly which does what because Biomod includes Shifter as a baseline, but some of the fantastic features are:

- Total overhaul of augs making them less of a pain in the rear end to use and better balanced. Part of which is making armor augs hybrid active/passive where you manually turn them on and then each time they resist damage they eat some energy, others are now fully passive like the energy saver.
- Thorough skill overhaul and rebalance, with the most notable change being replacing the infamous swimming skill with a general athletics skill, which eventually unlocks Thief-style ledge mantling.
- Item and weapon rebalances and I believe some additional ammo types, plus the ability to stack some items.
- Reticle bloom is drastically cut down to more accurately reflect spread, with a nice side effect that drat near every weapon in the game feels more accurate by default.
- A scattering of added bits and bobs like unique weapons (ala DX2) and an oft-desired augment.
- Bug fixes.

The only way you could be disappointed is if you absolutely have to play DX1 using the same set of overpowered items that everyone always uses in vanilla, since those were also toned down.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Tenacious J posted:

I bought XCOM2 + War of the Chosen

You did the right thing.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Tenacious J posted:

Thank you! I assume that some of the WotC features get integrated into the base game?

Nope, not even the engine changes that make loading screens 1/5th as long in WotC. And WotC folds both of the DLCs that add content in to main game better.
The only upside to starting with base XCOM 2 is that XCOM 2 is already chock full of poo poo to learn and War of the Chosen effectively doubles that, which can be overwhelming.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Well I ended up buying Salt & Sanctuary, and I really like it. Thanks for the feedback from earlier everybody. This game is right up my alley.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Is there a thread for Holdfast? Or is it a dead game and everyone just plays m&b napoleonic wars still.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Papercut posted:

Well I ended up buying Salt & Sanctuary, and I really like it. Thanks for the feedback from earlier everybody. This game is right up my alley.

I like it too, but there was a certain point where I stopped playing because I died more to platforming than to any monster the game would throw at me. I am super gay for the idea of a 2D Dark Souls too. Still I put about 15 hours in it, so I think it's money well spent for something i got on a sale.

Setting the controller input to a rough approximation of dark souls's original controller input really helped.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
So is the Steam store UI just completely hosed up for anyone else today? On both the application and Chrome it's plain white with no formatting or images.

e: also on my phone

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Fargin Icehole posted:

I like it too, but there was a certain point where I stopped playing because I died more to platforming than to any monster the game would throw at me. I am super gay for the idea of a 2D Dark Souls too. Still I put about 15 hours in it, so I think it's money well spent for something i got on a sale.

Setting the controller input to a rough approximation of dark souls's original controller input really helped.

I didn't have any issues with the controls or platforming, although I am only 3 bosses in. I did get annoyed that one of the boss areas wasn't at all obvious and I got zoned in without intending to.

Also I only just realized there's a heavy attack button, haha.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is there any reason I shouldn't buy a Steam link for $5? Because that seems stupid cheap, and maybe there's some fatal flaw I'm not aware of.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I piss on most roguelikes, but Slay the Spire is extremely polished and well-balanced. Doesn't have much of an ending, though -- still in early access.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Xenomrph posted:

Is there any reason I shouldn't buy a Steam link for $5? Because that seems stupid cheap, and maybe there's some fatal flaw I'm not aware of.

My wifi is so awful I can't use mine for anything other than turn based games. I've heard it does better with a wired connection but YMMV.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Waffle! posted:

My wifi is so awful I can't use mine for anything other than turn based games. I've heard it does better with a wired connection but YMMV.

I was definitely planning to use it via a wired connection (via a powerlink adapter) although my wifi does work well for my Xbox360/Xbone. I don't do a whole lot of multiplayer PC gaming, I'd be getting the Steam Link more for the convenience of sitting on my comfy couch with my surround sound and playing PC games on my big screen TV.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Xenomrph posted:

I think it's at least the third time for that price. It works perfectly fine, can sync up via Bluetooth (for PS4 controllers for example) and there are custom controller profiles for everything from controlling your PC (minimize Big Picture and you still have control) or downloading profiles for games if your weird controller isn't recognized and doesn't map correctly.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Xenomrph posted:

I was definitely planning to use it via a wired connection (via a powerlink adapter) although my wifi does work well for my Xbox360/Xbone. I don't do a whole lot of multiplayer PC gaming, I'd be getting the Steam Link more for the convenience of sitting on my comfy couch with my surround sound and playing PC games on my big screen TV.

It's pretty good on a wired connection except for the twitchiest of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Xenomrph posted:

I managed to snag one today from a local gamestop (to avoid the insane Valve shipping fees). It works pretty drat well with a wired connection, but my tv is kinda older and I also only play games in 1080 anyways so I dunno if it's really possible to get super high quality video streaming from it. Definitely worth 5 bucks tho.