Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm really struggling to see how this show will continue without Roiland but I guess it's too big of a moneymaker for the network to completely pull the plug

Just need that Mr Nimbus spinoff tbqh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Last Chance posted:

Anyone else think the bush world guy should do ricks voice?

No, it's a bad voice.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm really struggling to see how this show will continue without Roiland but I guess it's too big of a moneymaker for the network to completely pull the plug

Why? If they can find a good VO replacement, Roiland doesn't really contribute anything else essential to the show at this point.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Skippy McPants posted:

Why? If they can find a good VO replacement, Roiland doesn't really contribute anything else essential to the show at this point.
Is he not one of the main writers anymore?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

FlamingLiberal posted:

Highest ratings and a 70 episode order, and it's voice-over. This guy was hosed as soon as it got out. I hate bringing it up again, but the line of do nothing apparently for this parent company (warner discovery) is a rumored $300 million, merchandising with your face, ad campaigns with your face, multiple reshoots and production changes aka the Ezra Miller problem..but they also did the public apology/I'm getting help thing, so maybe getting ahead of it was the bigger difference on not getting shitcanned like you should

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is he not one of the main writers anymore?

they have a writers room that's presumably staffed by people who have been doing it for years, the Simpsons has gone on for 54 seasons at this point. Rick and Morty probably makes enough money year over year to continue for decades.

quality is not an issue.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/SquanchGames/status/1618043896260603904?s=20&t=-AUh-xzmFDMVr09OTtXDIQ

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Don't know how large of a segment it is, but there is a substantial portion of online fans losing their poo poo that someone like Roiland lost his job. I ain't shedding any tears. I said it earlier and I'll say it again, there's plenty of other talent out there that can fill the voice casting stuff of the main duo without anyone noticing, and the show will be better for it. And if Harmon gets the boot, good riddance too. Him and Roiland got big into that NFT bullshit. The writing staff is what made this show great for the past six seasons, not these two jokers. Hell, isn't Harmon being buddy buddy with Elon Musk the whole reason they actually gave that fucker a guest role on the heist episode? Guy definitely needs to go.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

I'm actually shocked disney is the last company to sever

to be fair, that WBD did anything at all, but there are enough other people on R&M that he wasn't worth the liability

i would laugh if they just get tracey morgan to do this again, like that's now his typecast service, replace terrible people

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:piss:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

CelticPredator posted:

The ties have already been cut. If Roiland had any shred of decency he’d be okay with it

Not sure if I can expect this from the guy who publicly said gently caress THE UNIONS after underpaid RM animators ratified a new contract so they could be paid better and get health insurance

Granted, that was in 2014 but he's friends with Musk so I highly doubt that view has changed

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

zer0spunk posted:

I'm actually shocked disney is the last company to sever

Could be that they just have the most red tape to move through

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cloks posted:

they have a writers room that's presumably staffed by people who have been doing it for years, the Simpsons has gone on for 54 seasons at this point. Rick and Morty probably makes enough money year over year to continue for decades.

quality is not an issue.

This. If you look at any of the behind-the-scenes stuff they've put out over the past few years, Roiland doesn't really feature at all. I'm sure he was still in the writer's room and probably contributed, but I don't think he's a driving force at this stage. Also, as a general theme, Roiland's style of bug-gently caress random humor is something the show's drifted away from over time. They still do the occasional bit, but we no longer get whole episodes of just "let Roiland vomit whatever into a mic for twenty minutes."

The hardest part will be finding a replacement voice. If they can land someone the general fanbase accepts as the new Rick and Morty, I think they'll be fine.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Looking through the thread, and hey, I guess I called this back in 2019 after that first instance of creep DMs sent to teenagers.

Skippy McPants posted:

People who are hosed up but self-aware sometimes get a pass because others assume that it acts as a check on their negative impulses.

And that's probably true, to an extent, but transgressive behavior also tends to escalate absent outside intervention. Maybe sending creepy DM's to seventeen-year-olds is the worst Roiland's ever done and he's doing better now, but he's the kind of person you want to keep a close loving eye on because you never know when they'll set a new low.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
John Kricfalusi as Rick. Skyler Page as Morty.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Skippy McPants posted:

I take it as a pretty good sign that the R&M Reddit is reacting to the news by joking and speculating about possible replacements. Very few people seem interested in going to bat for Roiland.

Like, I think they'll need to find a good replacement to keep the more rabid fans happy, but nobody seems to give much of a poo poo about Roiland.
Thank you for letting me know. I still can't even figure out how to read Reddit, nor why you'd want to read a conversation completely out-of-order William S. Burroughs cutup method style, but I know a hell of a lot more about it than I'd like to, and if that subreddit isn't being the absolute worst about this, we're in a lot better shape than I feared.

slurm posted:

All the chuds I work with, and it's a lot, instantly turned on Roiland like everyone else once the clear cut pedo stuff hit their echo chamber
This, however, is less comforting to me because all he's gonna' have to do to win them back is spit out some right wing mad libs and they'll nod their heads and get on board.

"Yes, that's true. We are living in Nazi germany when a pedophile who beats his wife gets fired by a corporation."

I haven't decided if I'll give the new episodes a shot largely because they're connected to a work of art made by a monster who was dancing around going "wouldn't it be funny if monsters?" I'm a completionist who sticks with shows long after they've stopped being any good, but this? This is something else.

But either way, it's good they shitcanned him and whether I watch them or not, I'm glad everybody this rear end in a top hat employed aren't gonna' suddenly not be because their boss turned out to be a pedophile.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

This combo of tweets is kinda funny

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

FireWorksWell posted:

Some of those fans are gonna seethe over the new VA for the rest of the run and it's gonna be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-xFCJPul7M

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

spare a thought for the casting director who has to listen to weeks of Roiland impressions

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've held auditions and even when everybody's really good and auditioning for the role of "normal person," they're poo poo-awful, so I hope that person has a good life otherwise.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Just get Billy West in to do both voices

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

well why not posted:

spare a thought for the casting director who has to listen to weeks of Roiland impressions

I trained my whole life to mimic his weird voice
I’ll do it for cheap

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

They recently got a new Kermit and he does sound wrong.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Yeah, would be a shame for so many talented folk to lose their jobs over this so ought to give it one season at least trying to make it work. Dunno if Cussak has the time or inclination or the ability to not sound Very Australian but he does seem worth a shot. Suppose "our" Rick and Morty could die and be swapped for Bushworld versions or something, I guess with their own matching Rick Prime.

How about Joel Haver for Morty, just to put an alternative out there? Seems like someone who might be on AS's radar, he did collabs with Roland but I don't think that sticks to him worse than Harmon or anything.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
i think they should go for a rotating cast of VAs and lampshade it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's no need to try to do it correctly. Just get the australian guy to do his australian voice and don't bring it up. I don't give a poo poo if the voices are different.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
They can find a sound alike. Michael Cusak should focus on his own stuff, specifically Smiling Friends, so that one day there will be a Smiling Friends theatrical movie, thank you

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

H. Jon Benjamin for Rick just because it'd be funny.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Zero One posted:

They recently got a new Kermit and he does sound wrong.

if you are old enough that Kermit also sounds wrong compared to Jim Henson

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Cloks posted:

i think they should go for a rotating cast of VAs and lampshade it

that'd also be very fun

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah, go fourth wall breaking full scorched earth with calling out Roiland as a piece of poo poo and the changes being a small price to pay for him being exposed.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They don't need to overthink this. Just recast, make a throwaway joke about it and move on.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Sarah Chalke as Second Ricky

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Nameless Pete posted:

Non-objectivists don't typically spend years trying to adapt The Fountainhead.

Explain Oliver Stone then

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Found it:

https://twitter.com/ThatGuyTCald/status/1618041474809200643

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

They don't need to overthink this. Just recast, make a throwaway joke about it and move on.

They could do that, but why not turn lemons into lemonade and make joke out of a lovely guy losing his job?

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

They could do that, but why not turn lemons into lemonade and make joke out of a lovely guy losing his job?
it was pretty funny when family guy went back in time to when lacey chabert voiced meg and one of them said she sounds like someone about to miss out

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Rick and Morty are missing somewhere in the multiverse, and it's to Jerry and Summer to find them and also do other things. It's the Jerry and Summer show! 100 episodes! Sometimes Beth too.

Alternatively, as I posted in another thread, Jackson Publick as Rick and Doc Hammer as Morty

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:lol: everybody wondering how they will recast roiland's voices when they are the easiest voices to mimic and literally anyone can and does do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Plot twist: with Roiland gone the number of incest jokes increases.