Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

podcat posted:

Simplified and dumbed into the ground. We are heavily focusing on the My Little Pony crowd and plan to accommodate them with features such as styling the hair of famous historical leaders (Wouldnt Hitler look much friendlier with curls and that silly mustache shaved off?)

But now how will we know who is guiding us through the game's tutorial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

Excellent! I'll update the OP with the latest news in confirmed HOI4 features.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

quote:

is this thread for real..were are the moderators at to close this bizarre pointless thread.. wow in the old days this would have been killed along time ago

Sorry Paradox, but I'm with this guy. Jokes should be illegal!
In the olden days this would have never happened :argh:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I guess I missed the olden days the volounteer mods ran the forum and devs couldn't post :shrug:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Darkrenown posted:

I guess I missed the olden days the volounteer mods ran the forum and devs couldn't post :shrug:
You're supposed to toil away in the code mines, not venture above ground to hassle your betters!

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Watching France suck trade backwards out of the Antwerp Node, I sometimes wonder if endpoints are a blessing or a curse.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Don't forget, the Eastern Front needs to be a single long, linear corridor of provinces in order to truly reflect trends in modern gaming.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Westminster System posted:

Watching France suck trade backwards out of the Antwerp Node, I sometimes wonder if endpoints are a blessing or a curse.

Depends- are you playing France? :france:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

So at this point what is the difference between goons and paradox devs?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Devs don't work at home and leave the house?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Dibujante posted:

So at this point what is the difference between goons and paradox devs?

Devs have jobs.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Ofaloaf posted:

Devs have jobs.

Ha ha ha oh wait. :smith:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I dont even understand where they got the idea that newer paradox games are being "dumbed-down".

HoI3 is probably the most complex grand strategy game ever. CK2 is in every aspect more complex that its predecessor. EU4 might have been simplified on some things, but made others, like trade, much more complex.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont even understand where they got the idea that newer paradox games are being "dumbed-down".

HoI3 is probably the most complex grand strategy game ever. CK2 is in every aspect more complex that its predecessor. EU4 might have been simplified on some things, but made others, like trade, much more complex.

People on the internet consistently mistake complexity for depth.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

They're also more popular, which means they're not as special anymore.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

drat. The snark is strong with these ones.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Alchenar posted:

People on the internet consistently mistake complexity for depth.

The entire goddamn wargaming scene has a huge complex about being smart enough to understand these inaccessible games. Matrix Games pretty much runs on the idea.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Wargaming is complicated, which isn't the same as complex. Look at Grey Hunter's War in the Pacific thread for a great example. The poo poo UI, total lack of reminders, and modeling down to individual levels of ammunition or plane pilot skill made the whole thing a clusterfuck. Thousands of "lives" we're lost due to careless mistakes.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Cantorsdust posted:

Wargaming is complicated, which isn't the same as complex. Look at Grey Hunter's War in the Pacific thread for a great example. The poo poo UI, total lack of reminders, and modeling down to individual levels of ammunition or plane pilot skill made the whole thing a clusterfuck. Thousands of "lives" we're lost due to careless mistakes.

B-b-b-but that's realistic!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Paradox said they're going to make HoI4 easier to get in to with a less steep learning curve which obviously means they're selling out and pandering to the casual masses for cheap :10bux: and have abandoned their hardcore base forever and all their games from here on out will be unappealing easy "press A to win" casual poo poo for dumb babies.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

YF-23 posted:

Paradox said they're going to make HoI4 easier to get in to with a less steep learning curve which obviously means they're selling out and pandering to the casual masses for cheap :10bux: and have abandoned their hardcore base forever and all their games from here on out will be unappealing easy "press A to win" casual poo poo for dumb babies.

Im one of those dumb babies, I guess. HoI have always been way too complicated for me.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im one of those dumb babies, I guess. HoI have always been way too complicated for me.

It took Kaiserreich's variety of conflicts to ease me into Hearts of Iron, and even then I prefer small land-primary wars to anything on the level of WWII. Biggest thing I've ever fought was WWI as Germany in the 1914 mod, where I had Britain in the Central Powers, a defensive posture on the Western Front, and about 2 million men on the Eastern Front when the war started.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Start submitting those katana-wielding modern samurai!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Cantorsdust posted:

True, but what other game allows to you accidentally land the complement of cooks and barbers in the first wave on Iowa Jima?

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

You have 24 hours as of this post to get your ministers rejected before the next round of WATW is posted. Please form an orderly line of weaboo-style submissions where in which I will determine if your 3000 year old cyborg vampire emo loner is fit to be king of Japan.

Speaking of things not making the cut, there is no sound toll revival. If you block the USSR from using your precious Danish straight, you buy time. Whether or not that means anything is up to your situation in game. If you're wanting to slow down the soviets from landing invaders on an ally, it's there as an option. It also allows you to be just the biggest meanie ever.

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 25, 2014

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Almost, but not quite.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

uPen posted:

Almost, but not quite.

There's already an argument over whether she's over 18 or not.

A guy is genuinely saying it's okay even if she isn't. :cripes:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It doesn't matter if she is or isn't 18 because she's certainly not the 50-60 that would almost make sense.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

quote:

No offense, but the rules didn't have any restrictions on photos in the age of the person in photo, except adult photos ofcourse are no-go. So even if I submit hello kitty as a picture, there is nothing wrong with that, as photos are not restricted to human...just saying.

Does that mean that anime is okay?

My president, our diplomats in Japan have just informed us that they have elected Goku as their new leader!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

uPen posted:

It doesn't matter if she is or isn't 18 because she's certainly not the 50-60 that would almost make sense.

"But her soul is like 200!"

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Disco Infiva posted:

Does that mean that anime is okay?

My president, our diplomats in Japan have just informed us that they have elected Goku as their new leader!

I think the more important question this raises is "Can the doge meme be head of state" and if so, "How stupid can we make the history for it?"

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
"Does that mean [ANIME/HELLO KITTY/DOGE/CHILDREN/YOU'RE ALL AWFUL PEOPLE] are okay?"
No! :cry:

You can make these submissions but don't expect a single one to make it in game. Otherwise, feel free to have fun. It doesn't matter to me because I generally get final say on these things anyway. :colbert:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

DrProsek posted:

I think the more important question this raises is "Can the doge meme be head of state" and if so, "How stupid can we make the history for it?"

wow.

such self-insert.

much mary sue.

very fedora.

It doesn't matter, though- I've got a better idea.

Name: Maru
Ideology: Cat
Trait: Courteous Figure
Start Date: 2009.7.10
End Date: ????.?.??

In the aftermath of the Great Pretty Borders War, the Japanese public had lost faith in politics of all stripes. Convinced that the nation needed a figurehead to rally behind, a groups of niconico users entered celebrity cat Maru as a candidate for the Mayor of Tokyo. Underestimating public apathy, the cat somehow won, and began a steady rise to the Prime Ministership. The country has experienced an economic boom until his total lack of stewardship, and he is virtually guaranteed reelection.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Bel Monte posted:

"Does that mean [ANIME/HELLO KITTY/DOGE/CHILDREN/YOU'RE ALL AWFUL PEOPLE] are okay?"
No! :cry:

You can make these submissions but don't expect a single one to make it in game. Otherwise, feel free to have fun. It doesn't matter to me because I generally get final say on these things anyway. :colbert:

How much would it cost us to make Lowtax the head of state of a breakaway Cascadia?

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Dibujante posted:

How much would it cost us to make Lowtax the head of state of a breakaway Cascadia?

You make the minister and pick an existing country using this handy guide and I'll see about adding it in as a "WATW" entry. Closest you got there is Canada or maybe Quebec. Keep in mind with the contest over none of the description will get in game (which is handled by event). So the bare minimum name, ideology, trait, start and end dates, etc are only needed. And I don't have PMs here, so just send it to Garek Maxwell account on the paradox forums if you don't want it posted here. Also, don't use purely Lowtax as the name.

I'm going to admit I've wanted to include a reference to Wiz's Azerbaijan lets play but never got around to it (and I might not be allowed, it's a weird thing).

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Bel Monte posted:

I'm going to admit I've wanted to include a reference to Wiz's Azerbaijan lets play but never got around to it (and I might not be allowed, it's a weird thing).

Even better, put a guy named Helladid in Greece :helladid:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Kavak posted:

wow.

such self-insert.

much mary sue.

very fedora.

In the aftermath of the Great Pretty Borders War, the Japanese public had lost faith in politics of all stripes. Convinced that the nation needed a figurehead to rally behind, a groups of niconico users entered celebrity cat Maru as a candidate for the Mayor of Tokyo. Underestimating public apathy, the cat somehow won, and began a steady rise to the Prime Ministership. The country has experienced an economic boom until his total lack of stewardship, and he is virtually guaranteed reelection.

Boxkrieg.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
^^^ Box cat is obviously fascist. He only cares about pretty borders and will conquer everyone to force it to happen.

Disco Infiva posted:

Even better, put a guy named Helladid in Greece :helladid:

This too please. If someone else does it then I can put it in as a WATW entry and not get into any weird trouble.

VVVV I think the list is incomplete since there's a few islands I swear are missing and other random countries. Can't say anything, but I don't think it's complete. It is most of them though.

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 25, 2014

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Bel Monte posted:

You make the minister and pick an existing country using this handy guide and I'll see about adding it in as a "WATW" entry. Closest you got there is Canada or maybe Quebec. Keep in mind with the contest over none of the description will get in game (which is handled by event). So the bare minimum name, ideology, trait, start and end dates, etc are only needed. And I don't have PMs here, so just send it to Garek Maxwell account on the paradox forums if you don't want it posted here. Also, don't use purely Lowtax as the name.

Huh, I never noticed the wiki actually had a list of playable and revolter nations. Despite not having Cascadia on the list (:colbert: when will the best secessionist movement finally get some love from Paradox games) it's actually a pretty great list. Despite how funny I thought it would be, I'm glad that it seems like the devs aren't going with a CSA secession/Civil War II. Guess I'll have to stick to Victoria 2 for my People's Confederacy games :v:.

Kavak posted:

wow.

such self-insert.

much mary sue.

very fedora.

Pfft, if the Japanese were going to rally behind a cat for a leader, they would OBVIOUSLY want the one with more work experience.

Meet Tama, the station master

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Bel Monte posted:

Partway through this, I realized it was probably not a good idea, but here it is anyways:
code:
Name: Richard Lótàques
Ideology: Fascist
Trait: Controversial Leader
Start Date: March 3rd, 1967
End Date: End of game
Photo

Richard Lótàques, believed to be born sometime in 1942, grew up rough. His exact parentage is unknown; he first appears in the historical record in a misdemeanor conviction for defacing a public forum in Montreal with graffiti. His name may be a pseudonym. Sentenced to several years in a juvenile rehabilitation facility, Richard Lótàques reformed and went to film school, where he won great acclaim with his 1962 semi-biographical film, Maison de Malheur, which explored his experiences in juvenile rehabilitation. However, that seemed to be his only success. Falling on hard times and increasingly frustrated by his inability to pursue a career in film, he eventually joined the far-right "Guérilas Organisés pour l'Ordre et l'Honneur National" (GOOHN), dedicated to an independent future for Quebec, free from the Federal Canadian jackboot. Ruthless and cunning, he will stop at nothing to ensure that Quebec takes its place as North America's pre-eminent power.

Dibujante fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 25, 2014

• Locked thread