Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Literally no argument against it besides "trust me bro", but sure lets just take it as a given they won't get them. I ask again: who are they waiting for? You all act like its some big trump card to ask me but I guarantee your answer is worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

AFCE thread is in best shape of its career and starting to get its burst back.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
You can have extensive talks with both Harbaugh and Peyton without firing your current coach

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Metapod posted:

You can have extensive talks with both Harbaugh and Peyton without firing your current coach
Yes the Dolphins did just that with Payton and got docked their 1st rounder.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Declan MacManus posted:

the jets are not signing a coach that is worthy of the hall of fame or has won super bowl(s) because they don’t have a situation that would attract a coach like that

It's likely the Cowboys and Chargers jobs won't be open. After that there are no jobs that are clear cut better than the Jets.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Diva Cupcake posted:

Yes the Dolphins did just that with Payton and got docked their 1st rounder.

Simply don't get caught

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Metapod posted:

Metapod is right. You can find out of they are interested before you do anything.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

mcmagic posted:

It's likely the Cowboys and Chargers jobs won't be open. After that there are no jobs that are clear cut better than the Jets.

- the university of michigan
- television, or the new orleans saints

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

like you do have to fold in the analysis that these coaches could always just wait for next year given that the league turns over a quarter of its coaches a season. they're both young, they're both in pretty good spots, they're both already rich, they don't really have to do anything they don't actively desire to do

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Yeah, it's not like they're first time HC candidates who have to try strike when the iron is hot. There will be a job waiting for them literally whenever they want to come back.

Though I guess I shouldn't discount the possibility that Harbaugh and Payton--both psychos, especially Harbaugh--have an all-consuming need to return to pro coaching *right now* and not a moment later.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Phobeste posted:

- the university of michigan
- television, or the new orleans saints

Why is the Saints job any better than the jets job? They have a worse roster and no QB. They don't even have a 1 this year.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They have .5 QBs don’t disrespect Hill like that

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Cardinals looks better than the Jets right now with a new GM

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Why is the Saints job any better than the jets job? They have a worse roster and no QB. They don't even have a 1 this year.

that's true but there's sort of extenuating circumstances there, right. if payton is absolutely itching to get back into coaching he can always go there to ride out his contract, or more likely just stay on tv until he finds the right place

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Payton going back to the Saints always seemed like dumb media speculation. Why in gods green Earth would he want to do that now? Maybe in another year or two once they get out of rebuild hell, but surely between now and then way better opportunities will present itself. About the only thing the Saints job has going is familiarity and a garbage division.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

i mean it's also not unreasonable to think that the jets might put themselves in position to get one of these coaches, too, right. Like if you tell payton or harbaugh that he can pick his gm (or have personnel control), and that ownership is fully on board with mortgaging the future for a window that's open right now whether that's a big contract for derek carr or a trade up for a qb, and that he'll have a hell of a salary, and that he'll get a blowup doll in his office he can yell at and punch, then why not?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Phobeste posted:

i mean it's also not unreasonable to think that the jets might put themselves in position to get one of these coaches, too, right. Like if you tell payton or harbaugh that he can pick his gm (or have personnel control), and that ownership is fully on board with mortgaging the future for a window that's open right now whether that's a big contract for derek carr or a trade up for a qb, and that he'll have a hell of a salary, and that he'll get a blowup doll in his office he can yell at and punch, then why not?

Because Josh Allen is only 26.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

The Dolphins would be insane to fire McDaniel. Asking him to shake things up with his defensive staff would be perfectly reasonable though: they just shouldn’t be this trash on D.

Yeah this is where I land; get Boyer (and Sanders) the gently caress out of town but ditching McDaniel feels premature. Obviously the offense has fallen apart the back half of the season as the league has caught on, but the Tua situation is going to make adjusting quickly difficult.

Also, it feels really dumb to fire a rookie HC when you are going to be handing the next guy up (even if it is a top-tier coach like Payton/Harbaugh) roughly the exact same team due to our draft/cap situation. Is the expectation that the new coach has to do better than 8-9 in their first year or they're out too?

stuker fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 4, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BrownThunder posted:

Cardinals looks better than the Jets right now with a new GM

This is really stupid. They have worse players on both units than the Jets do and their best players are old. Also they are locked into a QB at gigantic dollars who was not playing well and might not even be ready to start the season coming off a serious injury that might completely negate the only thing he's really good at.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Phobeste posted:

Yes. Either of them would get 10MM+ a year plus get to pick their own GM anywhere they would go.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Okay, seems like a good day for takes here, so I'll roll with one: Sean Payton had a HOF QB drat near his entire tenure and 40% of his seasons were 0.500 or worse.

Are we sure a 60 year old guy that made it to Super Bowl one time in 14 years with Drew Brees is the guy worth blowing up a franchise over?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Salguero is a huge moron who doesn't know anything. I know the Dolphins have been a shitshow of a franchise but they are not quite at the level of using a game started by a third string QB to determine if you're gonna clean house or not.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Is this based on both X and Byron being healthy and starting most games or what? The Dolphins don't have draft picks or FA money to actually improve the team.

The Dolphins will have and can make even more cap space.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
They can easily clear up 40 mm

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

The Jets should just leave their coach alone until they draft a franchise QB.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Just hiring a decent DC and getting a not Bottom 5 Kicker is probably worth 2 wins.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
jets should run it back one more season unless harbaugh or payton are 100% on board to coach.

phins are dumb as gently caress if they even consider getting rid of Mcdaniel after this year. but they should figure out what the hell the plan is for the defense next year (and non injured QB options)

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

fsif posted:

Okay, seems like a good day for takes here, so I'll roll with one: Sean Payton had a HOF QB drat near his entire tenure and 40% of his seasons were 0.500 or worse.

Are we sure a 60 year old guy that made it to Super Bowl one time in 14 years with Drew Brees is the guy worth blowing up a franchise over?

He had 10 winning seasons in 15 years. Two of his losing seasons came in his first three years having taken over a historically awful franchise that finished with 3 wins the year before he got there. He then went on a run of four seasons averaging 12 wins a season. They they then had three 7-9 seasons but that was also the same period where two division rivals went to the superbowl in back to back years. Then they went on another run of four years averaging 12 wins. He mostly great seasons, a couple of good ones and a handful of middling ones but no terrible ones. All but a small handful of teams would be really really happy with that.

He ain’t perfect but with a decent DC (like Fangio) he would be a great hire. You also can’t really separate him from Brees. I doubt Brees becomes Brees if he ends up in Miami, for instance.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 4, 2023

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I can't find more specific stats, but the Jets defense

is 1st in 3rd downs faced, tied for 7th in total 3rd down conversions allowed, 12th in conversion % allowed, and are 6th in the league on 4th down conversion %. They are 5th in the league in opposing drives that finish in a score. They only allow a TD on half of the opposing teams red zone drives, best for 6th in the league.

Meanwhile the offense has been absolutely awful in just about every way possible, to the point that the Jets defense has the worst average starting position. Opposing teams drives start on average at their own 30.3 Only the Cardinals and Rams average in the 30s (30.1) with the Bucs averaging 29.9.

The Jets defense also allows the least yards per play at 4.8, tied with the Eagles and no other team is averaging below 5 yards a play.

Even with all that, in raw stats the Jets are 4th in the league in points allowed and 5th in total yards allowed.

An ever slightly less ugly offense probably has the Jets in the playoffs.

In the current 2-7 run, 5 of the loses were within 8 points, and only in the last two weeks when they went back to Wilson, and now are playing Mike White with hosed up ribs, have they been losing big. Even then, at least a 16 and a 17 point loss aren't nearly as bad as some of the losses the last few seasons. The last two seasons had 5 losses of 20+

The Adam Gase 6-2 run to close out the season was a much worse mirage then anything this season. The Jets beat up on a bunch of bad teams, a confusing win over the Raiders, and yet during the run still managed to lose to the Winless Bengals. They also closed out the season against the Bills resting their starters, and the Steelers playing Devlin Hodges/Mason Rudolph.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Ehhh, I think this is Salguero generating some clickbait for his lovely website, he knows Boyer has a pretty good chance of getting fired and he's not the one writing the sensational headlines so his sense of pride as a journalist is fine on it.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Yeah, I can play around with one of those cap simulators and get there pretty painlessly and responsibly.

A big chunk of that will be tied up in re-signing and a backup QB, but they'll be able to shop for some pieces.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Amy Pole Her posted:

Ah, they’re trading Chubb?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He had 10 winning seasons in 15 years. Two of his losing seasons came in his first three years having taken over a historically awful franchise that finished with 3 wins the year before he got there. He then went on a run of four seasons averaging 12 wins a season. They they then had three 7-9 seasons but that was also the same period where two division rivals went to the superbowl in back to back years. Then they went on another run of four years averaging 12 wins. He mostly great seasons, a couple of good ones and a handful of middling ones but no terrible ones. All but a small handful of teams would be really really happy with that.

He ain’t perfect but with a decent DC (like Fangio) he would be a great hire. You also can’t really separate him from Brees. I doubt Brees becomes Brees if he ends up in Miami, for instance.

I think he's a good coach and I'm mostly just playing devil's advocate. I just don't know that he'd be transformative for the Jets or Dolphins.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Jerkstore called!
They’re running out of YOU!

Edit oops that’s meant for taste t😠

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://twitter.com/BuffaloBillsPR/status/1610750479792803845

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

fsif posted:

I think he's a good coach and I'm mostly just playing devil's advocate. I just don't know that he'd be transformative for the Jets or Dolphins.

As you said, he made the SB once in 14 years with Brees and he had 5 years of .500 at best

In the same time period, where he was still able to consistently get playoff appearances over half the time he was coaching, the Jets and Dolphins made the SB no times combined, and
Dolphins: 12 years of .500 at best, didn't even get out of the Wild Card game the two times they made playoffs (no playoff appearances since January 2017)
Jets: 11 years of .500 at best, no playoff appearances since January 2011 (made the AFC Championship then though!)

If he didn't lose a step at all in the year he spent away from coaching and got either team to even just playoffs with a stable QB situation, it would be a vast improvement immediately for either team

The emphasis is obviously on "stable QB situation" there. If you're the Jets, you can't move forward with Zach; I would trust Payton over Saleh as Saleh stuck by Zach way longer than he should've even just this year, and the assumption has to be if Saleh a) stays and b) isn't put in check, he's continuing to roll with Zach next year because he's already said he wants to do that. If you're the Dolphins, you need to think of life without Tua; McDaniel has to take at least some of the blame for the repeated mishandling of the Tua situation, would you trust him to have learned his lesson?

If I'm either team I send the money trucks to Harbaugh instead, but if you can get either coach you have to try. Jets have the advantage over Miami in that they have a first this year to trade the Saints for Payton, their cap situation is currently better for either to work with, and Woody has more money to pay either

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

Jets have the advantage over Miami in that they have a first this year to trade the Saints for Payton, their cap situation is currently better for either to work with, and Woody has more money to pay either

I think Payton would go to the Dolphins over the Jets.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

As you said, he made the SB once in 14 years with Brees and he had 5 years of .500 at best

In the same time period, where he was still able to consistently get playoff appearances over half the time he was coaching, the Jets and Dolphins made the SB no times combined, and
Dolphins: 12 years of .500 at best, didn't even get out of the Wild Card game the two times they made playoffs (no playoff appearances since January 2017)
Jets: 11 years of .500 at best, no playoff appearances since January 2011 (made the AFC Championship then though!)

I know you go on to talk about the QB a bit, but the Jets and Dolphins didn't consistently have a top 5 QB over that time period. I feel like making the playoffs two thirds of the time when you have a HOF QB at the helm should just be considered a measure of baseline competency.

BUT, that said, the Saints did have a losing record when Payton was suspended and Dennis Allen has certainly done less with this roster than Payton did last year.

fsif fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 5, 2023

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I always felt like Payton did more for Brees than the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Payton went 8-1 when Brees was injured across 2019 and 2020 starting Taysom Hill and Jameis Winston. Then went 4-2 to start the next year before Winston and Hill went down and they had to start a Trevor Siemian. He’s a good coach even without Drew Brees and it was definitely a mutually beneficial relationship.