Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

https://lwn.net/Articles/725623/

the anaconda developers have no idea what the gently caress they are doing

sorry if that hurts anybody's feelings but jfc they are not doing a good job

the worst thing about conda is that still is the best thing for python on windows as far as i know. having run in into some conda poo poo though i learned better and now important python things have virtual environments regulated by pycharm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

carry on then posted:

if you only need 100 lines of code you've never seen before to identify and fix a problem, that problem was trivial

this is generally what happens with software that's complete enough to be distributed though? overlooked errors like opening a file without checking it exists, etc. does gnome ship with a "error: windowing system not implemented" problem?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

you get a stack trace and it points you to a single line of code

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the worst thing about conda is that still is the best thing for python on windows as far as i know. having run in into some conda poo poo though i learned better and now important python things have virtual environments regulated by pycharm

i think they mean anaconda the redhat installer not conda the python thing

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
because the conda people couldn't just call it "python-install-manager" or ssomething like that

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i think they mean anaconda the redhat installer not conda the python thing

Cocoa Crispies posted:

because the conda people couldn't just call it "python-install-manager" or ssomething like that

oh. well, ill reiterate, i can totally see conda being actually bad on technical level

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

wow lol.

Sapozhnik posted:

https://lwn.net/Articles/725623/

the anaconda developers have no idea what the gently caress they are doing

sorry if that hurts anybody's feelings but jfc they are not doing a good job

I think suspicious dish? said something about siloing and communications issues between teams that was especially true for anaconda. why not just throw it all out and build a GUI over fdisk and other utilities?

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

hifi posted:

or just look at the source code

ok richard

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

OldAlias posted:

pebkac bithc this behaviour won't be any better on other systems
Probably not but it's been awhile since I installed anything else.

OldAlias posted:

also why are you using the startup disk creator for nontrivial things. escape to a TTY and use fdisk or smth
Because the disk itself was fine and I'm a lazy turd.

I didn't sit there weeping, though. I just D's it onto the stick and went from there.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

OldAlias posted:

why not just throw it all out and build a GUI over fdisk and other utilities?

that's how anaconda started

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
installers are an insanely hard problem in general, because they have to solve a truly absurd number of corner cases for a wide variety of users

the interface has to be available as a fully scriptable API, but it also needs to have a user-friendly click-through GUI, oh and it also needs to work on a 9600 8N1 terminal session because some of your enterprise users are just loving unbelievable dinosaur asslickers

it needs to work well on a laptop with an m.2 ssd and legacy bios and 802.11 wireless, but it also needs to boot EFI and load custom firmware into a low-latency NIC to bring up an iscsi session for the root disk after negotiating 802.1x layer 2 authentication AND dhcp v6 / ipv6 pd to reach the LUN in the first place

edit: and it has to do all these things without breaking backwards compatibility with somebody's pre-existing scripts written in the year 2002, because the current guys barely understand that clusterfuck and they will be mad at you

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

anaconda is fine and i think the only reason why people obsess over that detail is because there was a late 90s slashdot idea of linux on the desktop not succeeding only because the installation had more technical steps than the windows one

the blog post thing may have a point i guess if they have some specific thing they are trying to achieve with the modularization, but as it stands it rather reads like a programmer wanting to rewrite something because they feel the current thing is icky and beneath them

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

well good news, all these installation issues are going to be a thing of the past from here on out

that's because with the latest windows 10 fast ring build, ubuntu is now available straight from the windows store, and it's also free! just click download and bam! now you have a Linux...

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

finally, a Linux on your desktop, with just one click

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Max Facetime posted:

finally, a Linux on your desktop, with just one click

legit excited about this :v: i only need the file system support from linux

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

I hope this isn't just Microsoft showing preferential treatment to canonical but that in the future all Linuxen will have the opportunity to compete for users on an equal footing in Windows Store

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

windows subsystem for linux remains the greatest improvement to windows for a long long time. use it daily for all kinds of stuff

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

https://linux.slashdot.org/story/17/07/15/0018221/in-which-linus-torvalds-makes-an-init-joke

oh god the comment section is pure cancer

was slashdot always like this

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Tankakern posted:

https://linux.slashdot.org/story/17/07/15/0018221/in-which-linus-torvalds-makes-an-init-joke

why would you read the comment section of slashdot

why are you reading slashdot

seriously, though, I read slashdot too... but 30% of the articles are ads and 60% of the articles are bad opinions

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I read it and thought "this is just a burn on systemd, it's not against the idea of a Process 1" and the first comment mirrored my thinking exactly

articles like this need to explain what the joke is, because insider jokes help no one except sperglord egos, which do not need helping

also, systemd will never stop being a glorious troll in the form of open source software

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tankakern posted:

this is exactly how i remember /. circa 2002

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

el dorito posted:

I read it and thought "this is just a burn on systemd, it's not against the idea of a Process 1" and the first comment mirrored my thinking exactly

articles like this need to explain what the joke is, because insider jokes help no one except sperglord egos, which do not need helping

also, systemd will never stop being a glorious troll in the form of open source software

what

so you're one of them?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

this is exactly how i remember /. circa 2002

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

hobbesmaster posted:

this is exactly how i remember /. circa 1997

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Tankakern posted:

yes

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Tankakern posted:

there used to be more goatse

I'm assuming, I haven't looked at slashdot in 15 years, I don't know the current goatse levels

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i kinda forgot slashdot still existed

somehow my login from 1999 or whatever still works though

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Crusader posted:

i kinda forgot slashdot still existed

somehow my login from 1999 or whatever still works though

have you meta moderated recently?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no problem with fine patrician gentlemen who still post on something awful dot com

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

pram posted:

no problem with fine patrician gentlemen who still post on something awful dot com

(Score: +5, Insightful)

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

hosed up that this is still the best tech bullshit forum

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

updating to fedora 26

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

current fedora upgrade status: going to grocery shop and then vacuuming my appartment, will probably have enough time to wash the floors too

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
something awful > yospos > fedora upgrade [no 56k!]

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

something awful > yospos > fedora upgrade [no 56k!]

ill be done in 20 minutes i think. the problem is that i have lots of poo poo installed so the upgrade procedure manually combs through 10k packages, which is what slows everything down.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

*in hacker voice* im in

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nothing broken so far, i think?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

using the proprietary nvidia drivers still results in an x11 session. maybe ill get to join the wayland party next release

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

using the proprietary nvidia drivers still results in an x11 session. maybe ill get to join the wayland party next release

i have to say that im not even sure if im in wayland or x11. at least i know what wayland is. prolly still x11 since the only thing that did change is the desktop wallpaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

carry on then posted:

the eglstreams backend is in, but xwayland doesn't work with it yet

they're also planning to add the nvidia drivers to the official repos soon, so no more needing to mess around with 3rd party repos to install the driver :toot: