Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Rurutia posted:

I think you're referring to hydration.

I think you're right.

Maybe I meant hydration without realizing it. I'm probably adding too much flour when I knead, and I'm making the dough tougher than all my no-kneads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

contrapants posted:

I think you're right.

Maybe I meant hydration without realizing it. I'm probably adding too much flour when I knead, and I'm making the dough tougher than all my no-kneads.

kneading also aligns the gluten in some sort of coherent structure which is why kneaded dough is easier to work with. No knead is kind of a chaotic blob in terms of the gluten chains.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

UTI's SUCK for dudes. There's more of the urethra, so that's more tissue to get irritated. It gets to the point where you're considering threading a pipe cleaner up your rod just to itch it and taking long looks at the toilet brush when that proves to be unsatisfying.

Don't you loving judge me, itching drives me BUGSHIT MAD.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mrs. Gunderson posted:

Well I don't know why you kids want a picture of my kettle but here you go.

oh goodness mrs g

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

PopeCrunch posted:

UTI's SUCK for dudes.

I think they suck equally for both sexes, as it is the bladder where the infection occurs. Men have much longer urethra's, so bacteria has further to travel to get to the bladder, which is why male UTI's are uncommon. You usually piss the bacteria out before it can reach the bladder and replicate.

How are you male goons getting so many UTI's?!

You've never had a UTI until you piss so much blood, it dyes the dipstick and they can't properly read the results.

Back on to the topic of food, I don't know what to have for dinner tonight. I think I have salmon? What should I do with salmon?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Echeveria posted:

What should I do with salmon?

Pan-sear it and eat with grilled aspergers and rice.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

redneck sous vide it then flash sear it on the skin side only.

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/sous-vide-salmon-in-the-kitchen-sink/

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Echeveria posted:

I think they suck equally for both sexes, as it is the bladder where the infection occurs. Men have much longer urethra's, so bacteria has further to travel to get to the bladder, which is why male UTI's are uncommon. You usually piss the bacteria out before it can reach the bladder and replicate.

You've never had a UTI until you piss so much blood, it dyes the dipstick and they can't properly read the results.

Since we're still talking about this... After getting UTI's one time too many (despite obsessive hygiene around sex), I looked into prevention. Now, if I feel even the tiniest of potential itch, I take 2 of these: http://www.amazon.com/D-Mannose-500-mg-120-Caps/dp/B000JN4CR0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416866415&sr=8-1&keywords=UTI+prevention

I haven't had a UTI for 3 years now, and I used to get 1-2 per year.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Echeveria posted:

Back on to the topic of food, I don't know what to have for dinner tonight. I think I have salmon? What should I do with salmon?

Tonight I'm making lomo saltado, because it's the best thing. So make that. With the salmon, make some home-made gravlax with it instead, and then use the gravlax to make nigiri on Wednesday along with miso soup, seaweed salad, and some other stuff so that you can have a nice healthy meal before the big turkey day.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Sheeps intestine is the only long term answer to uti's - also, don't put pearls up your dick... Don't put anything up your dick.

Also - it is true about the length of the urethra, which is why I've never had an uti.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

GrAviTy84 posted:

redneck sous vide it then flash sear it on the skin side only.

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/sous-vide-salmon-in-the-kitchen-sink/

I don't have time to do this today, but I've been considering rigging my crock pot into a sous vide.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Tonight I'm making lomo saltado, because it's the best thing.

That looks really loving good, but all my beef is frozen and after eating locally butchered hormone/antibiotic free alberta beef, I'm not really interested in running to the grocery store for lovely beef.

Happy Hat posted:

Also - it is true about the length of the urethra, which is why I've never had an uti.

Yes, that is why men don't typically get UTI's. The bacteria has to travel much further to get to the bladder than in women. UTI's that women get are from bacteria introduced to the urethra during sex, and are often pushed up the urethra by the errrr in and out action of the penis. Falling asleep after sex is like my nightmare.

Oh god, can you tell I work in a medical lab?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

What I am saying is that for making bacteria travel up my urethra in my Franklin, (yes that is the name for my penis Urethra Franklin - what of it?) the trip they would have to take would make the long march look like a Sunday stroll on the beach..

Edit: am I being too subtle?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

(yes that is the name for my penis Urethra Franklin - what of it?)

Greatest Hits by Urethra Franklin! Featuring:

R E S Peeee C T

Let It Pee

I Knew Urine Waiting For Me

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 24, 2014

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Happy Hat posted:

What I am saying is that for making bacteria travel up my urethra in my Franklin, (yes that is the name for my penis Urethra Franklin - what of it?) the trip they would have to take would make the long march look like a Sunday stroll on the beach..

lololol

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Happy Hat posted:

:vince:

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I've never pan fried fish so I tried that today. I totally overcooked it, and will endeavor to do better in the future.

EcoBlue
Jan 1, 2008
I found a recipe for pot pie, but the pastry-making part of the directions are confusing me. Chicken Pot Pie. Why is it telling me to mix stuff that's in a food processor with my fingers? What am I likely to mess up making the pastry?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

EcoBlue posted:

I found a recipe for pot pie, but the pastry-making part of the directions are confusing me. Chicken Pot Pie. Why is it telling me to mix stuff that's in a food processor with my fingers? What am I likely to mess up making the pastry?

Your butter should be really cold/solid so there's very little moisture in your mixture, so the food processor turns the butter/flour mixture into a sand. Adding the water causes it to clump together a bit more, but you don't want to add enough that it forms a dough inside the food processor. Just enough so that it would form a dough if you press it together. Then you use your fingers to press it together to form a dough.

What you are likely to mess up is handling it with your hands for too long, or even leaving it out in ambient temperature for too long. You want to keep the butter from melting as much as possible, because it needs to form into thin sheets to create the flakiness of pastry. I work fast, clutch ice every so often, and actually tend to pop anything I'm not currently working with in the freezer. I also toss most of the items I use into the freezer for 10min before hand.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 25, 2014

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
A cool trick is also to freeze your butter overnight, then grate into a bowl and put it back in the freezer for a little bit before you add it to the flour and whatnot.

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004
ABunch7587's little bitch

Echeveria posted:

I've never pan fried fish so I tried that today. I totally overcooked it, and will endeavor to do better in the future.

The trick is after you get a good crust on one side, you flip it and then put it in the oven to finish. That's the way to go about it if they aren't particularly thin filets.

breakfall87 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 25, 2014

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

breakfall87 posted:

The trick is after you get a good crust on one side, you flip it and then put it in the oven to finish. That's the way to go about it if they aren't particularly thin filets.

They are - I have wild caught sockeye.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Invest in a Thermapen. They're like $80 but I've never regretted it. Never overcook fish again.

Edit: Oops. More like $96. You can also get one of these on the cheap and still work great.
http://thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Got stoned, ate White Castle, had horrible bowel issues the next day. I love it when stereotypes come true.

In less gross news, the woman and I are having thanksgiving out our place for the first time with both our families, whom have never met before. I have no memory of agreeing to this, but I was drinking heavily the last time I was home. I have been traveling so much lately I can't keep track of anything.

Also, I have gotten obsessed with masgouf, which is the Iraqi style of grilling fish over a wood fire. This summer I did a ton of cooking outside and am thinking of enlarging my current bbq hutch into a more elaborate outdoor kitchen. Sadly there is little chance of catching a decent striper this year but I think if I can get a reasonably sized perch at might tide me over. I guess I could buy a fish but that seems like cheating.

PS, Dino I bought the woman your book, she has been getting into Indian cooking and is not a super enthusiastic meat eater so I thought she would like it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Croatoan posted:

Invest in a Thermapen. They're like $80 but I've never regretted it. Never overcook fish again.

Edit: Oops. More like $96. You can also get one of these on the cheap and still work great.
http://thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html

What's the diff between that and one of these
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/thermopop.html

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
According to my sources the one you posted is round and $10 more.

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004
I use one of these because I don't poop money, and it is awesome:

http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?...cB#.VHP15vmopr8

I also don't use it on fish because I don't temp fish because I grew up on the sea and am a champion :hellyeah:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I see the Thermapen praised around here a lot. I've always thought that you shouldn't put a hole in the meat while cooking.

I have a probe thermometer that I stick in before putting the meat in the oven. Is the Thermapen better than this somehow?

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004
Thermapen is basically the fastest and most accurate thermometer on the market, but the one I posted works just as well and as quickly. Thermapens are used by health inspectors when they make their rounds, and while awesome, are basically overkill if you aren't in a professional environment or cook aggressively. The one you stick in before roasting is better because you can usually set them to go off when the target temperature is reached.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

They're very fast, too. Like, I didn't really get how fast until I got one. They put all other thermometers to shame.

The probe tip is also the thinnest on the market so the hole isn't as intrusive.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Echeveria posted:

I just heat the pan to death dry, quickly add some high heat oil in and toss the fish in skin side down. Should take like a minute then flip it and cook for another thirty seconds or so. Fish should be treated more like eggs than steak IMO. I also like my fish pretty rare.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

GrAviTy84 posted:

I just heat the pan to death dry, quickly add some high heat oil in and toss the fish in skin side down. Should take like a minute then flip it and cook for another thirty seconds or so. Fish should be treated more like eggs than steak IMO. I also like my fish pretty rare.

I like mine cooked more, but I read a serious eats article before I started to get a better idea of what I was doing. It was sizzling away and I was going, gee I wonder how long I should leave it, when the albumin started oozing. And then I was like OH gently caress TOO LONG, FLIP DONE.

What oil do you use Grav? I used grape seed.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Did Thanksgiving this past weekend. Spatchcocked the turkey for the first time. Best breast meat I've ever had. Will 'cock again.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Echeveria posted:

I've seen grape seed oil at the store, and never used it, because I wouldn't know what to do with it. Is there any benefits to it? Does it have a cool grape like taste or something? It seems a bit more pricey than the canola or whatever, so I've been nervous to buy it unless it's got some reason to seek it out.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

it's a neutral oil, dino

Echeveria posted:

I like mine cooked more, but I read a serious eats article before I started to get a better idea of what I was doing. It was sizzling away and I was going, gee I wonder how long I should leave it, when the albumin started oozing. And then I was like OH gently caress TOO LONG, FLIP DONE.

I use grapeseed for high heat, canola for general purpose.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

dino. posted:

I've seen grape seed oil at the store, and never used it, because I wouldn't know what to do with it. Is there any benefits to it? Does it have a cool grape like taste or something? It seems a bit more pricey than the canola or whatever, so I've been nervous to buy it unless it's got some reason to seek it out.

Completely neutral, like sunflower

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
It does have some flavour of its own - if you've ever tasted an actual grape seed, it's a bit like that, unsurprisingly. But it's faint and easily backgrounded. (I'd say slightly more so than sunflower, actually.)

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

It's got a high smoke point, dino. I use it or coconut oil for high heat poo poo, depending on what I'm cooking, and canola oil for lower stuff. Coconut oil works great in stir fry's or Indian food.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Grapeseed is my go-to for mayo unless I want the mayo to taste of the oil. To me, it's the most neutral tasting of the oils. For some odd reason, the prices here have almost tripled in the past few years.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Dane posted:

Grapeseed is my go-to for mayo unless I want the mayo to taste of the oil. To me, it's the most neutral tasting of the oils. For some odd reason, the prices here have almost tripled in the past few years.

Proliferation of seedless grapes? I dont know, but the grape seeds probably doesn't come from wine production, which means that they will need to come from other grapes used for commercial production, and those grapes I could assume are being changed to seedless grapes due to cost efficiency?

Alternatively they've found out one of two things - a more cost effective application of grape seed oil (replacing peanut oil?), or they've finally found out about the financial stupidity of Danes (which is only overshadowed by the one of the swedes and norwegians)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

BUT HOW IS THE BABY? Will it be aryan?