Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

rockopete posted:

Sounds like NDTV jumped the gun then, thanks.

So from this article, plus the statements kalstrams translates above, the Russian government is saying it can manage things such that this import ban will hardly be felt within the country. With gas money, I assume?

But even if it is felt, Sueddeutsche.de notes that it will mainly affect the urban middle class which, we are told, Putin no longer sees as an important constituency. Maybe he can even paint them as decadent softies who need Western goods?

Yeah, but the article also states possibly no-one in Russia is believing the bullshit Putin says and for me the changing reaction to the article is more important. The article itself is written in a way which makes Russia look like some kind of backwards-place. And many comments are already talking about how everyone should have expected Russia shooting itself in the foot, it's evil Russia after all! This does not bode well for peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain65
Jan 19, 2012

Borodai resigns as PM of DNR?

https://mobile.twitter.com/interfax_news/status/497413211063615488

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Sigh, Brain65 beats me to the punch.

Brain65
Jan 19, 2012

Sergiu64 posted:

Sigh, Brain65 beats me to the punch.

Pure luck, I happened to go for a smoke and noticed it. I only linked it because it as posted by interfax. Borodai denied it, then some accounts and tweets disappeared. I can only guess there's some sort of power-play happening in the DNR or the rats fleeing the nest.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Next Ukrainian presidential election may be interesting, with both legitimate choices available Yanukovich and Borodai - if the election is held within the walls of Kremlin

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Libluini posted:

Yeah, but the article also states possibly no-one in Russia is believing the bullshit Putin says and for me the changing reaction to the article is more important. The article itself is written in a way which makes Russia look like some kind of backwards-place. And many comments are already talking about how everyone should have expected Russia shooting itself in the foot, it's evil Russia after all! This does not bode well for peace.

My friends from Moscow aren't super thrilled about it, but surprisingly calm. 'We'll just buy products from other countries, whatever,' may be the most common response. Sometimes I wish there were polls every month to monitor public opinion on thing like that. Maybe even honest ones.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The separatists have run out of free military vehicles from papa Vova, why not use the local ambulances.

http://www.hrw.org/node/127854

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Paladinus posted:

My friends from Moscow aren't super thrilled about it, but surprisingly calm. 'We'll just buy products from other countries, whatever,' may be the most common response. Sometimes I wish there were polls every month to monitor public opinion on thing like that. Maybe even honest ones.

All faux-Italian places trying to substitute mozzarella and other cheeses, hell, most of the foreign cuisine places will go belly up. People with low income don't buy European products in supermarkets, but even they go to restaurants and cafes.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

fatherboxx posted:

All faux-Italian places trying to substitute mozzarella and other cheeses, hell, most of the foreign cuisine places will go belly up. People with low income don't buy European products in supermarkets, but even they go to restaurants and cafes.

Don't worry, they can buy cheese from Brazil instead. I'm pretty sure taste and quality will be the same. :v:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Entropia posted:

loving yes! A trade war! Man, this'll be good. Lasting enmity towards Russia in Europe is also the best thing that could possibly happen to the EU. We need an enemy to unite against.

Well all we got for our friendship were regular bans on certain exports for "health and safety reasons" and a plane with 200 EU citizens shot down so gently caress Putin and gently caress the Russians if they keep backing him.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

fatherboxx posted:

I don't know much about cheeses, so I googled it and apparently they produce mozzarella somewhere near Kostroma. But yes, there are already jokes about it, like Russian Quattro Formaggi pizza will now be made with Rossijski, Poshekhoski, Adygejski and Bryndza.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
A relatively chilling interview with an anonymous Ukrainian ATO soldier:

http://m.gordonua.com/publications/Boec-Nacgvardii-Informaciya-o-363-pogibshih-lozh-V-ATO-ubity-ne-menshe-4-tys-voennyh-34760.html

Goes into underreporting of casualties, friendly fire incidents, poor supply situation, etc.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

MeLKoR posted:

Well all we got for our friendship were regular bans on certain exports for "health and safety reasons" and a plane with 200 EU citizens shot down so gently caress Putin and gently caress the Russians if they keep backing him.

I support the US/EU sanctions, but remember that almost all Russians are subject to a level of state propaganda saturation we would have trouble comprehending. The idea that the regime is lying probably never occurs to a great majority of Russians- in some respects they aren't responsible for their political beliefs, because their political beliefs are not their own.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Tonton Macoute posted:

http://m.gordonua.com/publications/Boec-Nacgvardii-Informaciya-o-363-pogibshih-lozh-V-ATO-ubity-ne-menshe-4-tys-voennyh-34760.html

Goes into underreporting of casualties, friendly fire incidents, poor supply situation, etc.

That's a massive interview, and pretty striking :stare:

Not super surprising or anything, but if you've read nothing but the livefeed (like 80% propaganda pieces).

quote:

In eastern Ukraine, the land after the rain turns into a mixture of clay, poo poo, mud, dust and superglue. We sank, sank as much on the shin camp in muddy swamp turned.

quote:

- Remember, the helicopter was shot down near Karachun? (May 29, terrorists shot down the helicopter Mi-8 in the Mount Karachun near Sloviansk. Killed 12 people - six soldiers the National Guard, including two crew members, and six representatives of the Ministry of Interior special forces. - "Gordon"). From the camp to the checkpoint on the ATO Karachun was 60-70 kilometers, it was necessary to bring the children food and ammunition.

We all loaded into APCs, space is left, I had to go on. We drove 20 miles, armored car broke down, and not because it incorrectly applied. All is simple - it was a very old APC. So it is not just fending off weight machines - up to 12 tons. Had to call the second BTR and reload it supplies.

- And you drove?

- Yes. Drove into town. 20 percent of local happily waved his hand to us, while the remaining 80 percent were indignant, saying, why complaint? We have tried to quickly pass the village, but suddenly the car began to boil and stopped. Right in the middle of the village, and yet it is not clear, hiding in the homes of local separatyugi or not bang on us now, or cost. But had to wait until the engine has cooled down, otherwise it would be the second BTR has broken.

- On the way back again boiled APCs, we stopped again, gave the engine to cool, then set off, drove a few miles and ... exploded wheel.

- On mine bounced?

- No, the wheel from wear and tear snapped, and even in such the wrong place. Stand in the valley, the hills around, we at a glance - shoot all you want. Fortunately, there were, somehow, at very low speed, returned to the camp.

The shittiest of APCs :suspense:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 7, 2014

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I don't know how anyone could think that economic hardship would reduce nationalism when you consider the rise of the far right in post 2008 Europe.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Discendo Vox posted:

I support the US/EU sanctions, but remember that almost all Russians are subject to a level of state propaganda saturation we would have trouble comprehending. The idea that the regime is lying probably never occurs to a great majority of Russians- in some respects they aren't responsible for their political beliefs, because their political beliefs are not their own.

Oh come on! I was lucky enough to have been born after the end of the dictatorship but my parents (who aren't political at all) knew that nothing they read on the news was to be taken at face value. The Russians aren't retarded, there's no way they look at the crackdown on the internet and other news sources and think "yep, surely this was so we could know the truth".

They lived in the USSR, are you telling me they have no idea what propaganda is? They know half of what comes out of the Kremlin is poo poo, but I guess that rolling over the Ukraine gives them a nice "we're badass, you can't mess with us bitches" feeling.

archaeo
Nov 5, 2009

may the power of Hecate compel you

Tonton Macoute posted:

That's very interesting; a good look into the situation on the Ukr side - a story few have an interest in probing.

Gordonua via Google Trans posted:

- We are in Kiev were confident that in the east, mainly mercenaries and local marginal fire intermittently, but most of the residents of Donbass in Ukraine. It turned out, according to the armored group that residents of the Ukrainian army took a hostile reception.
Rides, for example, our military convoy from point A to point B through the village, past the market along the way. Local calmly go, something to buy, sell. Only column slid off the market a couple of meters, as was ambushed by a powerful fire, and the people did not even turn around, continue shopping, they do not care.

[...]

I first came to the farmhouse in the Donbas and understood why local so were led to "DNR" and "LC" ...
- And why not?
- I'm such a poverty never seen before. Believe me, I'm not spoiled, grew up in an ordinary family, but the village of eastern Ukraine - a life beyond: regional centers are dead, nothing works, the solid circle of poverty. Like, and in Western Ukraine people live a wealthy life, but there are well-kept house, even the rich compared with the eastern.
It sounds hard, but once people silently endured such misery, then it is a price.

:Nationalize the Oligarchs:

archaeo fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 7, 2014

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
All of Ukraine outside of Kiev is poor, and the East is actually supposed to be a bit better off then the West on average, so that's weird.

Swan Oat posted:

I don't know how anyone could think that economic hardship would reduce nationalism when you consider the rise of the far right in post 2008 Europe.

Or in Germany as a direct result of :godwin:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Maybe the soldier meant all those little villages outside the big cities? Probably hard to get a good read on the "average" with all the wealth disparity.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pimpmust posted:

Maybe the soldier meant all those little villages outside the big cities? Probably hard to get a good read on the "average" with all the wealth disparity.

Yeah, I suspect it's the standard "grass is greener elsewhere" feeling. Life sucks in the East, and they assume it's because the rest of the country is keeping them down. They don't really appreciate that life sucks for almost everybody.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

ocrumsprug posted:

Even if he drops the ban, those largely perishable items will either be rotting in a landfill somewhere, or for sale in another market.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/#!/content/1.2729821/

Canadian impact is apparently about $600M in pork exports, which doesn't seem like much.

If only there was a country near Canada where the price of pork was skyrocketing recently to redirect that delicious magical meat towards.

archaeo
Nov 5, 2009

quote:

- According to the latest official information of NSDC, for four months of anti-terrorist operation killed 363 Ukrainian strongman. What do you think, is it true?
- That's a lie. If you're on TV said that over the past day, killing two or three of the military, you know, in fact, their 12-13, maybe more. All Time ATO in Donbas, killing at least four thousand troops. Officials lie about 363's, why - I do not know.
Just a good reminder that probably all types of casualty reports have been terrible.

archaeo fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 7, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

MeLKoR posted:

Oh come on! I was lucky enough to have been born after the end of the dictatorship but my parents (who aren't political at all) knew that nothing they read on the news was to be taken at face value. The Russians aren't retarded, there's no way they look at the crackdown on the internet and other news sources and think "yep, surely this was so we could know the truth".

They lived in the USSR, are you telling me they have no idea what propaganda is? They know half of what comes out of the Kremlin is poo poo, but I guess that rolling over the Ukraine gives them a nice "we're badass, you can't mess with us bitches" feeling.

You and your family are unlikely to be representative by merit of even the fact that you're posting here. That said, propaganda saturation is effective even in its exclusivity. One need not trust the propagandist for propaganda to work, one need only distrust them less than the targeted enemy.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

MeLKoR posted:

But that's the thing. The average Russian doesn't have internet or alternative news sources. He lives in a tiny village or town in the middle of nowhere and gets all his news from Russian TV, newspapers and radio, which are all state controlled.

The people that do have computers/internet access are a tiny minority and even then they discover that many online publications are censored/blocked by their isp and those that aren't are in English or some other foreign language they can't read.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
All of Ukraine outside of Kiev is poor, and the East is actually supposed to be a bit better off then the West on average, so that's weird.
And by a bit better off you mean the Ukrainian provinces east of Dnipropetrovsk are about twice as wealthy as the provinces west of Kyiv.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Present posted:

But that's the thing. The average Russian doesn't have internet or alternative news sources. He lives in a tiny village or town in the middle of nowhere and gets all his news from Russian TV, newspapers and radio, which are all state controlled.

The people that do have computers/internet access are a tiny minority and even then they discover that many online publications are censored/blocked by their isp and those that aren't are in English or some other foreign language they can't read.

76% of Russian population is urban.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, I suspect it's the standard "grass is greener elsewhere" feeling. Life sucks in the East, and they assume it's because the rest of the country is keeping them down. They don't really appreciate that life sucks for almost everybody.

My Russian isn't great, just about good enough to read without a dictionary, but as I understand it, it is the point that the soldier makes to explain why the local population supported the separatists.

quote:

Это прозвучит жестко, но раз люди молча терпели такую нищету, значит, такая им цена. Нужно вертеться, работать, а не ждать, что придет "хозяин" и скажет: "Братан, на тебе работу, машину и квартиру". Но на Донбассе очень многие искренне поверили, что "ДНР" – панацея от всех бед.

quote:

This will sound cruel, but if people were taking this sort of poverty in silence, it means that is their price. You need to hustle and work, instead of waiting for a "master" to come and tell you - "I'll give you a job, a car and a flat". And a lot of people in Donbass sincerely believed that DNR will be a solution for their troubles.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Entropia posted:

loving yes! A trade war! Man, this'll be good. Lasting enmity towards Russia in Europe is also the best thing that could possibly happen to the EU. We need an enemy to unite against.

A federal United States of Europe would be the biggest superpower in the world, and also my wet dream. So please Russia, keep it up :D

The most powerful man on the planet, leader of the free world, Herman Achille Van Rompuy

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tonton Macoute posted:

My Russian isn't great, just about good enough to read without a dictionary, but as I understand it, it is the point that the soldier makes to explain why the local population supported the separatists.
Yes, you understood it right.

Edit:

3peat posted:

A federal United States of Europe would be the biggest superpower in the world, and also my wet dream. So please Russia, keep it up :D
I am sorry, but please go away if that involves American healthcare in Europe.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Doesn't mean that they all have computers or if they know how to use them beyond letting their kids play pirated video games on them.

Computers are a luxury over there, not a necessity.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

kalstrams posted:

I am sorry, but please go away if that involves American healthcare in Europe.
3peat just want the USE to be as generous to its poorer states as the USA is to its.

Present posted:

Doesn't mean that they all have computers or if they know how to use them beyond letting their kids play pirated video games on them.

Computers are a luxury over there, not a necessity.
Internet penetration in Russia is a bit over 50%, putting them in about the same league as Argentina, Brazil, and Italy.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 7, 2014

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Are you seriously arguing that the people who coined the phrase "v Pravde net izvestiy, v Izvestiyakh net pravdy" don't know the regime is full of poo poo and always has been?

archaeo
Nov 5, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

And by a bit better off you mean the Ukrainian provinces east of Dnipropetrovsk are about twice as wealthy as the provinces west of Kyiv.

Luhansk Oblast per capita GDP $3157 (2011)
Ukraine per capita GDP $3588 (2011)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ukrainian_subdivisions_by_GDP_per_capita

Donetsk a bit higher, but that doesn't say anything about the state of infrastructure, or the amount of undisclosed/black market economic activity. Or how much of that "per capita" is going straight into the pockets of the various levels of oligarchs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oracle posted:

Are you seriously arguing that the people who coined the phrase "v Pravde net izvestiy, v Izvestiyakh net pravdy" don't know the regime is full of poo poo and always has been?

Right but every regime is full of poo poo equally all over the world so all you can do is cheer for and support your full of poo poo regime over enemy full of poo poo regimes lest their poo poo win out over your poo poo.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

A Buttery Pastry posted:

3peat just want the USE to be as generous to its poorer states as the USA is to its.

Only if it also comes with the same amount of political power the representatives of those states have.

3peat
May 6, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Actually, after living all my life in an irrelevant worthless country, I wanna see how it's like to be part of a superpower that makes the rest of the world tremble with fear. Then we just need to clean up a bit and bring in the Levant, North Africa and Asia Minor, move the capital in Lazio, and then the EU can finally become what it was destined to be :D

Oh yea, I also wouldn't mind having that french minimum wage, french healthcare, etc

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Yeah the idea that the average Russian doesn't get propaganda is nonsense. Now, whether they care is another story.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

archaeo posted:

Luhansk Oblast per capita GDP $3157 (2011)
Ukraine per capita GDP $3588 (2011)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ukrainian_subdivisions_by_GDP_per_capita
Yes, the Luhansk Oblast is poorer than the Ukrainian average, but not by much, and the rest of the oblasts I mentioned in the east are probably the reason why since they're distinctly richer. It's still twice as wealthy as the Chernivtsi Oblast, while all the green oblasts are roughly twice as wealthy as the light orange ones.

archaeo posted:

Donetsk a bit higher, but that doesn't say anything about the state of infrastructure, or the amount of undisclosed/black market economic activity. Or how much of that "per capita" is going straight into the pockets of the various levels of oligarchs.
Is there a reason to assume this sort of stuff is unevenly distributed in Ukraine?

3peat posted:

Actually, after living all my life in an irrelevant worthless country, I wanna see how it's like to be part of a superpower that makes the rest of the world tremble with fear. Then we just need to clean up a bit and bring in the Levant, North Africa and Asia Minor, move the capital in Lazio, and then the EU can finally become what it was destined to be :D
Papist scum.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Present posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_Internet_users
Russia is way behind Western European countries, but what you describe is nothing but a quite hurtful stereotype, to be frank. While it's true that most Russians don't speak English well enough to read news, many relevant articles are fully accessible in Russian (see sites like http://inosmi.ru). Plus, while Echo of Moscow, TV Rain and other independent media are always under close inspection and considerable pressure, they are still present on the Internet and have their audience. And while Roskomnadzor does ban certain publications in Russian, it's nowhere near on the scale you probably imagine it to be.
http://rkn.gov.ru/news/rsoc/news26141.htm
Here's some official statistics regarding banned websites. They banned approximately 2.5 thousand different web pages and most of them were banned because contained child pornography or illegal information about drugs. You should also factor incompetence on their part, when they ban a page for a week only to realise that the page was actually google search results for a certain query. Basically, Internet censorship is worse than in the UK, for example, but not that much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Internet penetration in Russia is a bit over 50%, putting them in about the same league as Argentina, Brazil, and Italy.

It should noted though that even before this crisis the Russian Internet was rather insular.

• Locked thread