Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Mr. Wookums posted:

My cat doesn't yowl at the door in the morning or when I go back to the apartment for Lunch, doesn't even greet me at the door for the latter. However after work or in the afternoon, if I take out the trash he starts meowing at me constantly and uses his scratcher (does this when he's pissed/wants attention or food). He gets a quarter can of wet at night and is free fed dry, which is the initial begging when I get home, but after that I figure he just wants me to go to bed so he can cuddle and sleep.

He's slowly getting better, this is 10 months in. Before November he would cry at the door at any time I was not in the apartment.

Does anyone have a suggestion to stop a cat from petting/touching/grabbing your face if you pet him? Really annoying after he sheds a claw and in general. He's a very paw-touchy cat.

I'd be interested in that, too. So far I've only managed to get Poyo to stop walking on me (so long as my body parts aren't obscured by a blanket, because she doesn't recognize that the rest of me/cat/partner might be what's making that interestingly lumpy blanket topography). That required constantly A.) picking her up and moving her bodily; B.) rolling around so much that she got super irritated and left; and C.) enforced cuddling time over the course of about eight months. Blowing in her face meant nothing. She will paw (and eventually claw) if you aren't paying her attention when she requires it. Like when you're asleep...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Aradekasta posted:

Thanks for the article. It says this gets worse before it gets better. It's getting worse. Maybe he'll stop soon? :pray:

That depends. If you ignore each and every time, it will get worse and then get better.

If you forget or cave even 1 in 100 times, it'll get worse...but not better.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

duckfarts posted:

ehhhhhhhh I don't know about that

My cats were finally ok enough with each other to sleep near each other after.....4-5 years?

Sorry. I was upset thinking about parrots that live to be seventy or eighty years of age, I got carried away.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Stupid small question, can flea treatments (the ones which are like a little dot on the back of the neck) cause sores? One of my cats has suddenly lost a spot of hair and has a small (think 3~4mm) scab on the back of her neck.

I thought our other cat might have caused it, but it's too big, circular and shallow looking. I'm not particularly worried about it and the cat is as happy as a clam, was just curious.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

TheAngryDrunk posted:

You might look into one of those covered litter boxes that has an air filter built in.

Unfortunately covered litter boxes turn into urine soaked carpets.

BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

Lord Windy posted:

Stupid small question, can flea treatments (the ones which are like a little dot on the back of the neck) cause sores? One of my cats has suddenly lost a spot of hair and has a small (think 3~4mm) scab on the back of her neck.

I thought our other cat might have caused it, but it's too big, circular and shallow looking. I'm not particularly worried about it and the cat is as happy as a clam, was just curious.

Yes. This happens with one of my cats and I'm guessing it is a slight allergic reaction that he makes worse by rubbing it against stuff. He's even pulled out patches of hair near the treatment spot. I haven't noticed it since I switched from Revolution to Advantage so you might try a different treatment.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Pretty much every cat I've used Advantage and similar products on has gone bald in that spot. If they manage to reach it (which they shouldn't if it's well placed, but sometimes it doesn't wind up well placed!), then they'll scratch it raw sometimes. Cats.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
As for me, I've bought a deep toilet with an inward-curving border, and it's been amazing. I don't know whether my cat gets tired of digging, or it's the perfect depth finally, but the clumps are nice and easy to get out now. :dance:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

supermikhail posted:

As for me, I've bought a deep toilet with an inward-curving border, and it's been amazing. I don't know whether my cat gets tired of digging, or it's the perfect depth finally, but the clumps are nice and easy to get out now. :dance:

The booda poo parlour works pretty well. Less insane digging, more covered turds, and less litter tracked everywhere. Takes up a lot of space though, so probably not as good an option for small apartments.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
My adult cat is just lazy when it comes to peeing I guess because he doesn't bother with digging first, he just points at the (thankfully tall) wall of the litter box and pees right on it, letting it run down the side into the litter. He does bury it afterwards at least, but it's a pain to clean off the sides every time I scoop.

We can't even use normal sized litter boxes anymore because he'll just cock his leg up on the side and pee right out onto the floor. He seems to think as long as his feet are in the litter at the time he needs to go it's all good.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

My adult cat is just lazy when it comes to peeing I guess because he doesn't bother with digging first, he just points at the (thankfully tall) wall of the litter box and pees right on it, letting it run down the side into the litter. He does bury it afterwards at least, but it's a pain to clean off the sides every time I scoop.

We can't even use normal sized litter boxes anymore because he'll just cock his leg up on the side and pee right out onto the floor. He seems to think as long as his feet are in the litter at the time he needs to go it's all good.

One of my cats doesn't always seem to understand that if only her front legs are in the litterbox, that her rear end is not in the loving litterbox. Thankfully she only seems to do it when making GBS threads, though, so it's easier to clean.

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost
I saw a couple people asking about automatic feeders so I wanted to chime in with what we use for our cats:
http://www.super-feed.com
http://www.superfeederstore.com

The super feeder works really well, we have two cats and feed then twice a day with this. The standard unit holds enough food for 4-5 days, so we can do long weekends without needing anyone to pet sit. Only downside is that my food obsessed cat broke into it a couple times before I screwed down the lid. Hasn't been into it since I started doing that.

We've had the cats for a year and a half now and everything's worked this whole time. Our cats are fine sharing a bowl, though if yours are not I saw examples of chutes that diverted into multiple bowls that people have made on the site.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife and I temporarily brought in a stray until we can find a home for her (hopefully today). We already have two cats. We're keeping the stray in a bathroom for the time being. We live in mid-Michigan; do we have to worry about fleas or other parasites for our cats?

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011
Can anyone explain to me exactly how a totally indoor cat, in an area where the only wildlife that comes into the home are geckoes, can get a tapeworm?

Because that's the situation I'm dealing with right now and the mystery is driving me nuts.

The only possible source of infection is two months ago when he was left at the vets for boarding. Does it take that long to develop or did we take that long to notice it?

If the source of infection is fleas, why the gently caress does he not have fleas, at all?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Retro Access posted:

Can anyone explain to me exactly how a totally indoor cat, in an area where the only wildlife that comes into the home are geckoes, can get a tapeworm?

Happened to me. My vet suggested that it could have been carried in on soil from our shoes. :cry: But yeah, I would assume it can take a while to notice and could have resulted from some cross-contamination at your boarder or from the geckoes, which do carry worms. We only noticed when Fatfat vomited up a worm. It wasn't evident in the catbox.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
:ohdear: Is tapeworm a thing (among others?) that I give my cat a tablet for every, er, say, half a year? (It says I should do it every three months, but a vet was alright with 6.) Er, should I take a tablet for myself? On that note, I've just read an article that said that in people tapeworms go for the brain. :cthulhu:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

supermikhail posted:

:ohdear: Is tapeworm a thing (among others?) that I give my cat a tablet for every, er, say, half a year? (It says I should do it every three months, but a vet was alright with 6.) Er, should I take a tablet for myself? On that note, I've just read an article that said that in people tapeworms go for the brain. :cthulhu:

Constantly trying to immunize yourself or your cats to tapeworms, which are treated with short-term solutions to immediately kill worms, seems pretty pointless at best and at worst possibly harmful. The best prevention method is not letting your cat outside, because the general route of infection is when your animal sticks its face in feces. Also, tapeworms live in your stomach.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

supermikhail posted:

There are tablets you can give to prevent fleas/roundworms/hookworms/heartworms, but I don't think anything exists to prevent tapeworms directly. If a cat eats a flea before the preventative kills it, they can pick up tapeworm. Best bet is to keep your cats indoors.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Also, tapeworms live in your stomach.

Holy poo poo!

Oh. I thought you just remotely and immediately diagnosed me. Anyway, here's the article: http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22429972.100-watch-a-tapeworm-squirm-through-a-living-mans-brain.html

Double oh. I've just read the instructions for the tablets, and apparently they are against roundworms and tapeworms. :shrug: I mean, it says "cestoda". Also, since the reaction of the thread is sort of positive in that direction, I've been giving the tablets to my cat more seldom than it's recommended because I don't want to disturb her guts' normal functioning too often.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

supermikhail posted:

Holy poo poo!

Oh. I thought you just remotely and immediately diagnosed me. Anyway, here's the article: http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22429972.100-watch-a-tapeworm-squirm-through-a-living-mans-brain.html

Double oh. I've just read the instructions for the tablets, and apparently they are against roundworms and tapeworms. :shrug: I mean, it says "cestoda". Also, since the reaction of the thread is sort of positive in that direction, I've been giving the tablets to my cat more seldom than it's recommended because I don't want to disturb her guts' normal functioning too often.

Ignore the advice of the thread, ask your vet and follow his/her advice.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Deteriorata posted:

Ignore the advice of the thread, ask your vet and follow his/her advice.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
He probably got tapeworm from eating a bug or something. They can get it from eating flies and poo poo like that. Typically tapeworm in cats happens when they get fleas, and then eat the fleas when they clean themselves. They have to eat the worm to get infected, though. The little bits crawling out of your cat's rear end can't survive past the stomach. Tapeworms are gross but it's not that easy for you to catch one unless you go around eating fleas and bugs.

Call your vet and they'll give you a pill that your kitty takes once and it's pretty effective. I don't think it's expensive and depending on your relationship with your vet you might not have to come in.

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

Shnooks posted:

He probably got tapeworm from eating a bug or something. They can get it from eating flies and poo poo like that. Typically tapeworm in cats happens when they get fleas, and then eat the fleas when they clean themselves. They have to eat the worm to get infected, though. The little bits crawling out of your cat's rear end can't survive past the stomach. Tapeworms are gross but it's not that easy for you to catch one unless you go around eating fleas and bugs.

Call your vet and they'll give you a pill that your kitty takes once and it's pretty effective. I don't think it's expensive and depending on your relationship with your vet you might not have to come in.

This is what I've been wondering. How accurate is the internet's insistence that tapeworm eggs are only spread by fleas, I wonder. I have to assume that other bugs can spread them. I can't even believe one site that said cats are very good at hiding a flea infestation, because he's had fleas before when he was an outdoor cat living in England and it was so patently obvious - the fleas were very visible and I had to wait til winter and leave the house for a few days with no heating to properly kill the residual ones that were still all over the house.

Then again it's probably another species I read about that is common in Florida and can be spread by reptiles.

I didn't have to go in with the cat, they trust us that we identified what we saw (moving tapeworm segments on his tail) so we are picking up the medicine this morning.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Retro Access posted:

This is what I've been wondering. How accurate is the internet's insistence that tapeworm eggs are only spread by fleas, I wonder. I have to assume that other bugs can spread them. I can't even believe one site that said cats are very good at hiding a flea infestation, because he's had fleas before when he was an outdoor cat living in England and it was so patently obvious - the fleas were very visible and I had to wait til winter and leave the house for a few days with no heating to properly kill the residual ones that were still all over the house.

Then again it's probably another species I read about that is common in Florida and can be spread by reptiles.

I didn't have to go in with the cat, they trust us that we identified what we saw (moving tapeworm segments on his tail) so we are picking up the medicine this morning.
The most common (by far) kind of tapeworm that cats get is from eating a flea. The flea (and only the flea, not other insects) is a required part of the tapeworm's life cycle. As has pretty much been said, you could literally eat the tapeworm segments coming out of your cat's rear end and you would not get tapeworms. You must eat a flea. This kind of tapeworm is also pretty much harmless and we only treat them because worms crawling out of asses is disgusting.

There are a lot of kinds of tapeworms, including scary ones that do cause brain problems in humans. If you live in a developed country, cook your meat thoroughly, and don't feed your pets raw meat, you don't need to worry about the scary kinds.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I've got another dumb non sequitur. Looking at my cat I began to wonder about her whiskers. I'm aware of the general function of a whisker and I know that it's really tactile but can whiskers deliver pain to a cat/animal? Obviously at the root where it's attached (like any hair), but what if they were cut or burned or something?

Neither of these things has happened to my cat nor will they if I can do anything about it. Just a random question in regards to the abilities of the whisker.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I've got another dumb non sequitur. Looking at my cat I began to wonder about her whiskers. I'm aware of the general function of a whisker and I know that it's really tactile but can whiskers deliver pain to a cat/animal? Obviously at the root where it's attached (like any hair), but what if they were cut or burned or something?

Neither of these things has happened to my cat nor will they if I can do anything about it. Just a random question in regards to the abilities of the whisker.

Whiskers themselves are dead tissue just like nails/claws or hair. The sensation comes from nerves in the root responding to how it moves or vibrates.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
My old cat has another tumor. She was previously diagnosed with adenocarcinoma, which probably struck as a result of her not being spayed until she was around 8. This is like the fifth time I've found a tumor, they've all been about pea-sized. She hasn't struggled with surgery previously, and she's never seemed to be in pain or lethargic, but she's twelve and I'm just afraid that she's an rear end in a top hat who hides symptoms. Part of her annual vet check up now includes a chest radiograph to check whether she has any tumors metastasizing to her lungs. Fortunately that hasn't been a problem so far. She's not been on chemo, either. I am not sure I could do that. I don't know if it really improves quality of life, and maybe I'm also too cowardly to put her through that. Monday I gotta call her vet and make an appointment for yet another surgery. drat cat only has like one nipple left. Itty bitty kitty titty cancer. :cry:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

RedTonic posted:

My old cat has another tumor. She was previously diagnosed with adenocarcinoma, which probably struck as a result of her not being spayed until she was around 8. This is like the fifth time I've found a tumor, they've all been about pea-sized. She hasn't struggled with surgery previously, and she's never seemed to be in pain or lethargic, but she's twelve and I'm just afraid that she's an rear end in a top hat who hides symptoms. Part of her annual vet check up now includes a chest radiograph to check whether she has any tumors metastasizing to her lungs. Fortunately that hasn't been a problem so far. She's not been on chemo, either. I am not sure I could do that. I don't know if it really improves quality of life, and maybe I'm also too cowardly to put her through that. Monday I gotta call her vet and make an appointment for yet another surgery. drat cat only has like one nipple left. Itty bitty kitty titty cancer. :cry:

Did you find another cat boob lump? drat cat boobs, getting lumpy. We just removed a nipple on a cat on Wednesday because it had some weird lump with it. Kitty is doing OK.

I hope your kitty is going to get the all-clear :ohdear:. Typically chemo in cats is purely for palliative care (typically), so they're not on the same massive doses that people are on. I hope it doesn't get to that point, but if you financially can manage it can't hurt to have a consult with a veterinary oncologist, too.

Dromedary Today
Jun 16, 2007

Tomorrow!
I recently moved into another person's flat. She has two cats (6 and 12, or thereabouts). My flatmate works pretty uneven hours and usually comes home around 17-21, at which point they're miaowing away for food, having been alone since morning.

Now, I work from home and I've really taken to the little buggers, but at around noon they start wanting to have food and start making noises, and most importantly of all dashing into the kitchen (where they aren't allowed) whenever I open the door, and I have to spend time getting them out. It's a bit impractical doing this literally every time I walk into / leave the kitchen.

I'm trying to keep very regular feeding hours each day and never straying from them (they eat from a machine at 04 o'clock and then I feed them at 16), and this has lessened the issue somewhat, but it's still there. Any advice on what I can do?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Is there anything wrong with using paper plates for cat food bowls (temporarily)? We're going out of town for a few days, and we want to make it as simple as possible for out cat sitter to throw away old food, and add new food. I bought some pet food bowl lines, but none of them seem to fit the steel bowls that we normally use.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

melon cat posted:

Is there anything wrong with using paper plates for cat food bowls (temporarily)? We're going out of town for a few days, and we want to make it as simple as possible for out cat sitter to throw away old food, and add new food. I bought some pet food bowl lines, but none of them seem to fit the steel bowls that we normally use.

It's fine, just make sure you change them and don't let them get gross. Also, make sure your cats aren't eating the plates themselves.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Any advice for a cat with bad allergies? Already took him to the vet, they didn't feel he needed anything from them and gave him a clean bill of health beyond the sneezing.

According to the reports here its due to spores and poo poo being at INSANELY high levels, like level red, air quality is just abysmal, its affected him before but never this bad, he's sneezing a ton.

Edit: Forgot to mention, he's eating like normal, pooping like normal, peeing like normal, just sneezing a ton.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 8, 2014

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

duckfarts posted:

It's fine, just make sure you change them and don't let them get gross. Also, make sure your cats aren't eating the plates themselves.
I plan on having the cat sitter throw each paper bowl/plate into the trash after each use, so we definitely don't want them to get gross! Thanks for confirming that they should be okay to use, assuming that one of the cats doesn't start eating the bowls...

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Alteisen posted:

Any advice for a cat with bad allergies? Already took him to the vet, they didn't feel he needed anything from them and gave him a clean bill of health beyond the sneezing.

According to the reports here its due to spores and poo poo being at INSANELY high levels, like level red, air quality is just abysmal, its affected him before but never this bad, he's sneezing a ton.

Edit: Forgot to mention, he's eating like normal, pooping like normal, peeing like normal, just sneezing a ton.

You try getting an air cleaner/purifier? Kinda puts a new angle on "getting an air cleaner for your cat".

BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

Alteisen posted:

I'd try a low dust cat litter first. We have an older cat who has this issue and the low dust litter helps.

duckfarts posted:

You try getting an air cleaner/purifier? Kinda puts a new angle on "getting an air cleaner for your cat".

She was really stuffed up a few days ago and I almost bought a humidifier. When I realized I was about to buy a humidifier for a cat I decided to just lock her in the bathroom while I took a hot shower.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Need some first time cat advice here. Friend of a friend has a litter of kittens that she needs to find home for and I happen to be in the market for a cat. Is there anything I should look out for when I go see them? Does a cat's eventual personality or temperament show when they're this young? Any pitfalls to avoid?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Get two.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
^^ What Drythe said

Super Waffle posted:

Need some first time cat advice here. Friend of a friend has a litter of kittens that she needs to find home for and I happen to be in the market for a cat. Is there anything I should look out for when I go see them? Does a cat's eventual personality or temperament show when they're this young? Any pitfalls to avoid?

As far as I know, there's no real foolproof way to know if the chill kitten you get will be a chill cat, or the playful kitten will be a social cat, but getting 2 will help them keep occupied and adjusted.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
If you get a kitten or ten, make sure to handle their feet, ears, etc. regularly so that you will be more easily able to take care of claws, ear-cleaning if mites happen, and most importantly, belly rubs. You could condition them to accept tooth brushing, too! That's definitely something I wish I had gotten Fatfat used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cookie_91
Oct 12, 2012
Last tuesday I adopted an amazing cat from the SPCA, he is about three years old and the most loving pet ever! He was being fed both dry and wet food in the shelter, so I continued this when I took him home. I feed him wet food twice a day (breakfast and dinner) and keep dry food in his bowl throughout the day incase he is still hungry. Even though his bowl has dry food, he constanty meows and cries for more wet food, and this worries me! Does this mean I am not feeding him enough of the wet food, or is he just being a little piggy?