Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Spoeank posted:

If Donald Trump was put into Greg Gutfeld's job right now it would honestly be the best thing for the universe. Trump can just be the guy who sits on a panel show and goes "what grown man gets ice cream out of a cone?! *air accordian* frankly it's ridiculous and this is why Russia invaded Ukraine"

Or hell, bring panel shows to the US. Imagine Trump riffing on nonsense questions sitting inbetween John Mulaney and Snooki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Kalli posted:

Or hell, bring panel shows to the US. Imagine Trump riffing on nonsense questions sitting inbetween John Mulaney and Snooki

i think they brought bojo onto panel shows back before he was in politics, not many places are booking him now

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Well hey thread things are looking pretty quiet in news-

https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/us-supreme-court-backs-public-money-religious-schools-maine-case-2022-06-21/

Reuters posted:

Maine provides public funds to pay for tuition at private high schools of a family's choice in some sparsely populated areas of the northeastern state that lack public secondary schools. The schools receiving this tuition assistance under the program must be "nonsectarian" and are excluded if they promote a particular religion and present material "through the lens of that faith."

This is the policy that was reversed on a conservative majority. Fuckin' Maine

Forrest on Fire fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 21, 2022

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

JPrime posted:

i think they brought bojo onto panel shows back before he was in politics, not many places are booking him now

He was a regular on Have I got News for You for a while which is where a lot of his public recognition comes from but now he is radioactive. Give it a few decades and his posh idiot routine might get him back on some shows, mainly to mock him.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
You want news?

https://twitter.com/catherine_lucey/status/1539275132975337476

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Forrest on Fire posted:

Well hey thread things are looking pretty quiet in news-

https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/us-supreme-court-backs-public-money-religious-schools-maine-case-2022-06-21/

This is the policy that was reversed on a conservative majority. Fuckin' Maine

I was chatting with others on a Discord server and the consensus is that we now have the opportunity to have a mosque-led school be funded by taxpayer dollars.

What do you mean we're on some terrorist watch list now?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

A state will refuse money for a non Christian school and it will go to the Supreme Court and they will say no we only mean Christian schools you heretics. It is known.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I really want to get an electric bike to get around my neighborhood but I'm scared to death of the motorists in the city. People here fuckin hate bikes and bike lanes. Our mayor even fired our transportation admin because he didn't like cars enough.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

I keep thinking this can't get any worse, and it continues to do so

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shinji2015 posted:

I keep thinking this can't get any worse, and it continues to do so

pictures of the cops using kids as human shields, c'mon cops, there's still depths you can sink too!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Microsoft Teams sucks, just throwing this out there. I hate it and prefer Webex if you can't Zoom. I don't like Chime either.

or meetings.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

kiimo posted:

Microsoft Teams sucks, just throwing this out there. I hate it and prefer Webex if you can't Zoom. I don't like Chime either.

or meetings.

There’s a reason I’ve kept our Zoom licenses even after moving to 365, but LOL at the idea that I’ll be able to get an end user to sign up for webex without it being a huge ordeal. With Teams they can just login to the webpage with credentials they already have.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
teams is awful and winning because it's "free" with the 365 sub every business has.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
We use bluejeans and it loving sucks

Google Meet is ok

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

GoTo is the worst. We just switched back to Zoom

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Jesus Christ this reads like a dril tweet but he holds elected office

https://twitter.com/stevekingia/status/1539209524711768070?s=21&t=hTrE-l98KH4jpwbiD-Krxw

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kalli posted:

pictures of the cops using kids as human shields, c'mon cops, there's still depths you can sink too!

There was no shooter, cops just randomly went in and murdered a bunch of kids. :brainworms:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Don't worry it can and will keep getting worse

https://twitter.com/_ElizabethMay/status/1539170732424544258

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lmao but also :smith:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Ohhhh

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Y'all tell me if this sounds legal at all -

My company basically resells space on the vessel owner's ships. We have contracts with them that say we have to pay $XXX per container and they'll agree to give us XX containers through the year to use with space on the ships to match. Whatever we resell that at, we keep the profit.

Anyway, two of these companies have now told us that we're not able to hire from their companies anymore. My industry is incredibly incestuous and people hop around between companies all the time. Nowhere in the contracts does it say we can't hire from them, but they've made it clear that if we do they'll stop doing business with us. There are no NDA/Non Competes on either side. I've had several referral candidates get rejected that would have been great for the roles except for they're at one of these two companies, so it's a no-go.

This is specifically for roles in GA but the 'rule' is for the US in general. That can't be legal, right?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

With all the depressing Uvalde/SCOTUS/everything news, I think we can all agree at least that this is incredibly funny

https://twitter.com/BrettKollmann/status/1539308882866348032?s=20&t=S1Dku48EUr4lYPgJvNCWqQ

Joey Freshwater posted:

This is specifically for roles in GA but the 'rule' is for the US in general. That can't be legal, right?

It certainly shouldn't be, but I've learned never to assume that there is a law to protect labor from any abuses. Or if there is, that it is practically legally actionable in any way.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I loving hate apple and their HEIC picture format.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

LeeMajors posted:

With all the depressing Uvalde/SCOTUS/everything news, I think we can all agree at least that this is incredibly funny

https://twitter.com/BrettKollmann/status/1539308882866348032?s=20&t=S1Dku48EUr4lYPgJvNCWqQ

It certainly shouldn't be, but I've learned never to assume that there is a law to protect labor from any abuses. Or if there is, that it is practically legally actionable in any way.

lol russell okung

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Y'all tell me if this sounds legal at all -

My company basically resells space on the vessel owner's ships. We have contracts with them that say we have to pay $XXX per container and they'll agree to give us XX containers through the year to use with space on the ships to match. Whatever we resell that at, we keep the profit.

Anyway, two of these companies have now told us that we're not able to hire from their companies anymore. My industry is incredibly incestuous and people hop around between companies all the time. Nowhere in the contracts does it say we can't hire from them, but they've made it clear that if we do they'll stop doing business with us. There are no NDA/Non Competes on either side. I've had several referral candidates get rejected that would have been great for the roles except for they're at one of these two companies, so it's a no-go.

Gonna take a wild guess that most or all of these shipping companies are based outside of the US? Is this ship-board labor operating in international waters? Labor laws also vary from state to state (see: right to work, etc.) and so do laws about non-competes.

My even wilder guess is that the legality is highly questionable, but the cost and scope of any litigation far outweighs the benefit of maybe getting to scalp some employees from any given target company and also the loss of goodwill between that company and your company that would instantly occur with the filing of lawsuits. So they're going to get away with it no matter what.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Gonna take a wild guess that most or all of these shipping companies are based outside of the US? Is this ship-board labor operating in international waters? Labor laws also vary from state to state (see: right to work, etc.) and so do laws about non-competes.

My even wilder guess is that the legality is highly questionable, but the cost and scope of any litigation far outweighs the benefit of maybe getting to scalp some employees from any given target company and also the loss of goodwill between that company and your company that would instantly occur with the filing of lawsuits. So they're going to get away with it no matter what.

The two I'm referencing are based out of non-US companies but they have US side 'bases' and are referred to as such. These aren't decisions made outside the US. No, not ship board labor it's stuff like sales and customer service that are all based in the US.

My thought is the same as your second, even if it wasn't legal my company isn't going to care enough to lose business at the gain of a handful of employees. But I'm guessing the potential employees wouldn't be happy knowing that their current employer is essentially blocking the road for a different job, either.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Hot Diggity! posted:

I generally try to keep my rage against cars contained to the Chicago thread but here we've had three children killed by negligent drivers in less than three weeks. I'm pretty sure cops gave up enforcing traffic laws entirely.

There was a north Milwaukee neighborhood that was consistently making it into the news because it’s residents were getting so loving pissed about reckless drivers barreling through and police (as usual) not doing gently caress all. Someone must have knocked down someone’s door and tore them a new one at some point though because I guess they’re now just impounding people’s cars lol

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

lol, the party of 'family values' has been holding up an unbelievably tepid gun something-or-other bill (there's no control here) over enacting automatic restoration of suspended gun rights of convicted CDV offenders

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1539342374870065155?s=20&t=LaBJstKehiccSx2cQZjDAA

what the gently caress are we even doing here...

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Look kids or wives you can’t have both, USA

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Amy Pole Her posted:

If you're in the South your kids can be your wives! :v:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Amy Pole Her posted:

Someone hasn’t watched Under The Banner of Heaven yet

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Bird in a Blender posted:

Like you said, the infrastructure we made for cars makes every other option harder. Without the car, we’d build denser more walkable cities. We’d focus towns and commerce around transit hubs. Our society would look wildly different.

I'm like 35 and still don't know how to ride a bicycle so society without cars is a utopia for some but a dystopia for others.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Almost like the point Thomas More was making in Utopia.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

pasaluki posted:

I'm like 35 and still don't know how to ride a bicycle so society without cars is a utopia for some but a dystopia for others.

You have to change this. I mean if only for the fact that when you first get riding a bike it's like magic. It feels like it shouldn't work and then does. I mean that's how it felt when I was 8 I assume it's the same thing.

Also had a really great interview today and won't find out until mid July if I got it but man I nailed the interview at least. It's going to be a long month

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Last month as a team building activity my manager took us out bike riding and holy heck it was so fun, I hadn't gone on a bike for ages.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

kiimo posted:

You have to change this. I mean if only for the fact that when you first get riding a bike it's like magic. It feels like it shouldn't work and then does. I mean that's how it felt when I was 8 I assume it's the same thing.

Also had a really great interview today and won't find out until mid July if I got it but man I nailed the interview at least. It's going to be a long month

Good luck! You got this man

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

pasaluki posted:

I had to have my landlord's wife teach me how to ride a bike back when I was 7 since neither my parents knew how, which in retrospect kinda tracked that growing up poor in the Philippines meant bikes may not have been as easily available. It felt weird being the last kid to learn how to ride but after that… it was pure magic.

I do expect you to blast this song nonstop after you learn how to ride though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt0V0_1MS0Q

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

psssh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPMXt9Me_Fo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Bikes are cool and mine is hidden behind a pile of junk while we redo our basement, can't wait for this loving thing to be done so I can ride again.