Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

McGiggins posted:

What happenee to the lawsuit or whatevs?

Like wasent that a huge thing that was supposed to be cool and good.for comedy purposes?

Lawsuits take ages, check back in two weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Daztek posted:

Lawsuits take ages, check back in two weeks

And by “weeks” he means “years”

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Neltharak posted:

Not _quite_ that fast but a month of work for a 3 person team would do it, assuming preexisting animated assets. Without those, you are looking to at least an animator on top of the team and maybe an extra two weeks© unless you are a team that already knows how to organize game projects.

Still nowhere near a year, let alone five.

This is only true if a third-party company you contracted the work out to didn't already gently caress it up. If they did, even if you scrap all their work and start from scratch, you can never get the project off the ground, and it's all permanently the fault of the original company.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
I forget who I'm supposed to be upvoting. Is it Bribase this week?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
More words of wisdom

quote:

SQ42 might not be enough. Space games are a niche genre, PC only games reduces the market more, add in crazy high system requirements and it's not unreasonable to assume much of the target audience is already owed at least one copy of the game.

If it's just mediocre or good then they're hosed, it has to be spectacular and I don't think the vertical slice gets them there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/8j6lxf/cigs_growing_need_for_an_ongoing_revenue_stream/dyxsfvk/

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

his nibs posted:

Cymelion

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

Cymelion

Hey, I never stopped upvoting Cymelion

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

his nibs posted:

I'd just go with random. Or the one that would get the others more upset.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Passing this along without comment:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/996382327449227269

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Legal bought the newspaper to derek this morning.

Good boy Legal. You're a good boy yes you are.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Thoatse posted:

fidelity af

landing succssfl

Seriously, someone build a skatepark 400 miles wide and you have emergent gameplay.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The entire time I knew him, he only ever had one goal. To block half the universe. If we let him finish, he can do it with a snap of his fingers.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Could it be within the realm of possibility that Derek is overhyping his next blog post in an effort to attract attention that he has lost since being banned?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Could it be within the realm of possibility that Derek is overhyping his next blog post in an effort to attract attention that he has lost since being banned?

Peetape is real :pisstape:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Hav posted:

Peetape is real :pisstape:

Sir, I have an Idris to sell you, it comes with LTI.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
.... Not a finance guy so excuse the questions. If someone was to pay themselves a large wage and a dividend and a yearly bonus and the same for their wife and Brother . Then say that the money ran out and this persons company was being sued for upward of 40 million dollars and they owed loans in excess of 30 million dollars to various banks around the world .Are they protected by having 16 different companies or are the personally liable for any monies ? Will the government agencies that have been building cases for the last 7 months be take pity and be reasonable or will they be nasty fudsters as well
Also where is MoMa ? I hope he's ok wherever he is...

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

EightAce posted:

.... Not a finance guy so excuse the questions. If someone was to pay themselves a large wage and a dividend and a yearly bonus and the same for their wife and Brother . Then say that the money ran out and this persons company was being sued for upward of 40 million dollars and they owed loans in excess of 30 million dollars to various banks around the world .Are they protected by having 16 different companies or are the personally liable for any monies ? Will the government agencies that have been building cases for the last 7 months be take pity and be reasonable or will they be nasty fudsters as well

Ortwin and the Elms brother will fix it

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Another bummer Tuesday morning for a paralegal. A 10,000 page document is tossed onto their desk to review.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
RAGE 2 looks cool and good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rQMytyBFeA

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Quavers posted:

Feedback locust

No, that's a criticism cricket, learn the difference

Lord_NeckBeard
Oct 26, 2015

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

When was Derek banned? What happened?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

EightAce posted:

Dividend is usually up to the shareholders of the company, and will be accounted for. Wage and bonus would be covered by payroll in the jurisdiction of the company making payment, but is usually where you are domiciled (where you spend the majority of your residency _for tax purposes_).

The company being sued would usually be a limited liability corporation, and would usually be a shell. In the UK, if the debts could not be settled during voluntary winding up proceedings, a liquidator will be sought to apportion the remains to outstanding creditors and the officers walk away. In the US, there are restructuring options before final bankruptcy, and that's where I get hazy on the US process, other than the eventual outcome also being the 'officers walk away'. I don't know about personal liability in the US, but usually it only comes into play when someone has been found guilty in civil or criminal court as a separate entity from the limited liability corporation.

With regard to the loans, it depends on the loan itself. Signing for credit usually requires more than a pinkie swear and a promise to pay it back, especially after the banking regs tightened up a bit regarding loaning idiots money 'off the books' and the whole 2007 economic adventure, so there's usually collateral or something to offset the non-payment of the loan. Now there is a saying, 'If you owe the bank a thousand bucks, you have a problem. If you owe the bank a million bucks, the bank has a problem', so there's a bunch of leeway.

I'll have to have a think about the criminal aspects, but it's possible for a criminal case to fire off a civil case, and vice versa.

Lord_NeckBeard posted:

Awaitin' for the train that goes home, sweet Mary
Hopin' that the train is on time
Sittin' downtown in a railway station
One doxx over the line

Whoooo do you love, I hope it's me
I've bin a changin', as you can plainly see
I felt the joy and I learned about the pain that my momma said
If I should choose to make a part of me, surely strike me dead
Now I'm one doxx over the line sweet Jesus
One doxx over the line
One doxx over the line
I'm waitin' for the train that goes home sweet Mary
One doxx over the line

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I am going to say this is no overhype. Recent conversations I have had with Derek tell me that this is him having front row seats before the big dance. Take into consideration the post nineace just made and even Ray Charles could see what is about to happen.

#freederek

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Lord_NeckBeard posted:

The warlord can't help but doxx.

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

EightAce posted:

It will protect that money in the event of a bankruptcy but not if they did anything illegal. I wouldn't expect Chris to suffer any consequences because of how fuzzy all of this is. Although Chris doesn't seem to be very responsible with money so expect him to be broke once the free money comes to an end.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Hav posted:

Dividend is usually up to the shareholders of the company, and will be accounted for. Wage and bonus would be covered by payroll in the jurisdiction of the company making payment, but is usually where you are domiciled (where you spend the majority of your residency _for tax purposes_).

The company being sued would usually be a limited liability corporation, and would usually be a shell. In the UK, if the debts could not be settled during voluntary winding up proceedings, a liquidator will be sought to apportion the remains to outstanding creditors and the officers walk away. In the US, there are restructuring options before final bankruptcy, and that's where I get hazy on the US process, other than the eventual outcome also being the 'officers walk away'. I don't know about personal liability in the US, but usually it only comes into play when someone has been found guilty in civil or criminal court as a separate entity from the limited liability corporation.

With regard to the loans, it depends on the loan itself. Signing for credit usually requires more than a pinkie swear and a promise to pay it back, especially after the banking regs tightened up a bit regarding loaning idiots money 'off the books' and the whole 2007 economic adventure, so there's usually collateral or something to offset the non-payment of the loan. Now there is a saying, 'If you owe the bank a thousand bucks, you have a problem. If you owe the bank a million bucks, the bank has a problem', so there's a bunch of leeway.

I'll have to have a think about the criminal aspects, but it's possible for a criminal case to fire off a civil case, and vice versa.

Awaitin' for the train that goes home, sweet Mary
One doxx over the line

Whoooo do you love, I hope it's me
I've bin a changin', as you can plainly see
I felt the joy and I learned about the pain that my momma said
If I should choose to make a part of me, surely strike me dead
Now I'm one doxx over the line sweet Jesus
One doxx over the line
One doxx over the line
I'm waitin' for the train that goes home sweet Mary
One doxx over the line

However the real hilarity ensues when it's discovered that they pierced the corporate veil. THEN you get to see some heads on the chopping block.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

What is it with Bethesda and post-apocalyptical brown games?

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

EightAce posted:

No realistic chance to get any money out of them imo. Limited liability companies exist solely for that reason.

Also you have to prove if there was a major misconduct/other criminal stuff, with good lawyers and stalling its gonna be hard/impossible.

The CR clan just have to make sure they paid all their taxes and park their money in a 3rd country. gg

Source: Storytime with uni prof

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Already played bulletstorm, thanks.

DapperDon posted:

However the real hilarity ensues when it's discovered that they pierced the corporate veil. THEN you get to see some heads on the chopping block.

It's not that difficult, the trick is to not use the same damned officers on every damned document and make the shells wholly owned. I'm sanguine on actual charges because fincrime is really not a huge priority at the moment.

Civil is where I think the action is. An Idris is a lot cheaper than a class action, arbitration clause be damned. But hey, my hobby is being wrong on the internet, and I've been doing it since 1994. I'm running a solid 50/50.

DapperDon posted:

I am going to say this is no overhype. Recent conversations I have had with Derek tell me that this is him having front row seats before the big dance. Take into consideration the post nineace just made and even Ray Charles could see what is about to happen.

What is the crime.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

EightAce posted:

Wasn't there something about collateral for a loan too ? And a UK tax rebate ? All for an independent video game called SQ42 ?

.. but wait, isn't SQ42 a game mode of Star Citizen according to CIG vs Crytek ?

.. I'm getting confused. Can Chris enlighten me on what the answer is ?

Nyast fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 15, 2018

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AutismVaccine posted:

The CR clan just have to make sure they paid all their taxes and park their money in a 3rd country. gg

Source: Storytime with uni prof

Amusingly I'm being chased for tax details in the US by my UK bank, which tends to indicate that despite other conversations taking place they're looking at the very low level transfers of cash across borders. Tax havens are everywhere, though.

Monaco, for example.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Lord_NeckBeard posted:

There was a battle which caused him to lose the war.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Daztek posted:

Oh, I guess it's okay!

Wonder why CIG keeps reworking stuff over and over though :thunk:

lol a little later on in that thread mr logicmonkey is talking about "Well that's how I was taught Agile" despite it being insanely obvious he p much just googled some poo poo like 5 minutes ago.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What I’m noticing is that CIG has put themselves between a rock and a very hard place as far as actual game design goes.

Because they have on one hand their funding from a bunch of diehard hardcore space sim nerds who want everything as punishing and complicated as possible, and on the other hand, the longevity of their playerbase that needs quality of life and streamlined gameplay features to get into the action fast.

So any time they make any caveat to the latter, the former throws a loving fit, because their *DREAMS* implies a game that is the He-Citizen Woman Haters Club No Casuals Allowed is what Chris Roberts has dreamed up and is putting into action every waking moment, I mean, it’s why I took out a second mortgage on my house to get the highest rank of concierge! Doesn’t Chris care about us backers?!

And at the end of the day, in their darkest nightmares, that makes them and their dream game no different than a Derek Smart Steaming poo poo Special.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Mr.Tophat posted:

There was a battle which caused him to lose the war.

Derek wouldnt recognize a lost battle even if it shits on his head.

e: in a way thats good and bad at the same time kinda

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

lol a little later on in that thread mr logicmonkey is talking about "Well that's how I was taught Agile" despite it being insanely obvious he p much just googled some poo poo like 5 minutes ago.

It's part of the newer 'fail fast' model that took place of actor diagrams, flowcharts and UML upfront. What's missing is the activity of the scrummaster or the scrum meetings that will look to a _Design document_ that provides the overall narrative that is broken into smaller atomic 'stories'/tickets/tasks that ideally you can fit into 'x' story points. So for example, we have a story point = 4 hours, and when we decide on the things to do, we'll estimate the story points for a task.

Estimates are entirely personal and not a metric to game; important distinction. They're a self-reviewed metric to allow forward planning. The reason for the 'only do the minimum' is that the story _should be simple_ enough to be a title, although I personally think this is one of the weaknesses (Research doesn't just get 'tossed to the wind', but it's rarely treated as part of a story - pet peeve).

Ultimately it's about the tetris of having a bunch of people of differing ability and _familiarity_ contributing to the same codebase.

It's also buzzwordy as gently caress, so;

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

AutismVaccine posted:

Derek wouldnt recognize a lost battle even if it shits on his head.

e: in a way thats good and bad at the same time kinda

Self awareness is difficult I agree

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Taintrunner posted:

What I’m noticing is that CIG has put themselves between a rock and a very hard place as far as actual game design goes.

Because they have on one hand their funding from a bunch of diehard hardcore space sim nerds who want everything as punishing and complicated as possible, and on the other hand, the longevity of their playerbase that needs quality of life and streamlined gameplay features to get into the action fast.

And they've proved without the shadow of a doubt that they're not technically capable of delivering either experience.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

You know it's some outlandish made up bullshit when even Derek is all, 'hold up, I need to fact check this before I publish it'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
nonono but you see this time it's so big he has to pass it by his legal team

unlike the other dozen times he's said the same exact thing and it turned out to be a giant wet fart