Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
So fix sprint burst and don't make a chase an even more pointless exercise for the 90% of survivors that don't have that perk slotted. I seriously have gotten up to rank 4 killer and have never had any problem at all chasing down and killing survivors, even with sprint burst it was a matter of "oh hey you've made this go on for another 4 seconds congratulations"

One of the primary complaints from day bloody one has been that once a chase starts, basically all the mechanics of the game go out the window and a survivor has 2 choices: exploit the crap out of some stupid as hell oversight or resign yourself to dying. And then on a big update so long after launch the first line is a massive double down on that? Gag me with a spoon. I hope Friday the 13th completely depopulates this game.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Well it still has 10k players, so

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Honestly, if they did a perkless mode I'd start playing the poo poo out of this game again. It was legit good fun for the first couple of months and then everyone got perks and the game went to poo poo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Coolguye posted:

So fix sprint burst and don't make a chase an even more pointless exercise for the 90% of survivors that don't have that perk slotted. I seriously have gotten up to rank 4 killer and have never had any problem at all chasing down and killing survivors, even with sprint burst it was a matter of "oh hey you've made this go on for another 4 seconds congratulations"

One of the primary complaints from day bloody one has been that once a chase starts, basically all the mechanics of the game go out the window and a survivor has 2 choices: exploit the crap out of some stupid as hell oversight or resign yourself to dying. And then on a big update so long after launch the first line is a massive double down on that? Gag me with a spoon. I hope Friday the 13th completely depopulates this game.

This is completely on point and it's what kept me from getting into the game at all. It's an asymmetrical game where if both sides are played at the skill ceiling, one of them will always win, except the skill ceiling is extremely low on both sides, so that situation comes up all the time. There's extremely little to actually do on either side. The moment a chase starts it feels like there's about half of the game mechanics implemented that should be there.

Alteisen posted:

What is the problem? Sprint burst was getting out of hand.

If one perk is overpowered the solution is not to make a sweeping change that causes collateral damage for everyone who doesn't even use that perk :wtc:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Coolguye posted:

First loving line:
- Added bloodlust mechanic (increased speed for killers during chases)

:chloe:
Sorry to hear that, fellas.

On the other hand:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Digirat posted:

This is completely on point and it's what kept me from getting into the game at all. It's an asymmetrical game where if both sides are played at the skill ceiling, one of them will always win, except the skill ceiling is extremely low on both sides, so that situation comes up all the time. There's extremely little to actually do on either side. The moment a chase starts it feels like there's about half of the game mechanics implemented that should be there.

If one perk is overpowered the solution is not to make a sweeping change that causes collateral damage for everyone who doesn't even use that perk :wtc:

So you've never played the game for any significant length of time, but feel qualified to make blanket statements on its quality based on one sentence from the notes for a patch you haven't experienced?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Digirat posted:

If you haven't' played the game in a few months just say so dude so we can skip the silly argument.

That perk was loving everywhere along with self heal and borrowed time.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'm obviously the best person to tell you how this game should be balanced, as I've barely played it, didn't like it, and haven't touched it in ages.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That statement is true regardless of how much someone's played, and if you actually need to have someone who has sunk more time into the game to say it before you'll believe it, then read coolguye's post which is right above mine because he says the same goddamn thing and has put up with it for longer than me. You don't need to waste a lot of time on a bad game before you're "allowed" to think a solution that causes obvious collateral damage is a bad thing. That's a principle that applies to any game in any genre.

If you're actually able to explain why there's no problem with addressing one supposedly OP perk by buffing all killers across the board, which makes things worse for all survivors and not just the ones who use the perk, then do so instead of dodging the problem. I feel like if you actually had a good point to make, you would have made it instead of pointing at the amount of time someone's wasted on a bad game like that means anything.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'm guessing you, too, have not played the game since the patch and are asserting this obviously true statement off the one line in the patch notes?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Digirat posted:

That statement is true regardless of how much someone's played, and if you actually need to have someone who has sunk more time into the game to say it before you'll believe it, then read coolguye's post which is right above mine because he says the same goddamn thing and has put up with it for longer than me. You don't need to waste a lot of time on a bad game before you're "allowed" to think a solution that causes obvious collateral damage is a bad thing. That's a principle that applies to any game in any genre.

If you're actually able to explain why there's no problem with addressing one supposedly OP perk by buffing all killers across the board, which makes things worse for all survivors and not just the ones who use the perk, then do so instead of dodging the problem. I feel like if you actually had a good point to make, you would have made it instead of pointing at the amount of time someone's wasted on a bad game like that means anything.

The boost isn't even that significant. :shrug:

Quite frankly survivors are still overpowered as poo poo but I make my own fun at this point anyway so w/e

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

At high ranks you just have to accept that all four are going to escape with more points than you if you play fair and satisfy yourself with pipping up.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
And if anyone has twitch in their name they're getting camped.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

lol the problem with survivors right now is borrowed time and self heal providing a synergy that clearly did not get thought through at all and both of you know it. don't bother defending this trainwreck of game design because the developers can't be bothered to add the simplest if statement disabling self-heal while on borrowed time and just releasing that in a balance test which also increases sprint burst cooldowns.

also those dissatisfied with the game represent market expansion opportunities if listened to and are, in fact, frequently very qualified to speak to a game's shortcomings. thinking like a game designer instead of an elitist prick, i know, real hard concept.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I ain't defending poo poo, i just don't give a gently caress, I don't need bloodpoints anymore or give a poo poo about pips, I just gently caress with people.

I especially love newbies because I'm nice to them, I'll smack em once, lead em to generators, carry one to the hatch if I'm feeling frisky, its great, and when you're a huge dick to rank 1's or twitch streamers? My god its wonderful.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The bloodlust stuff is there to keep the chases from going on too long. If you don't break line of sight and just run from pallet to pallet, it's supposed to make things more difficult for you.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

The bloodlust stuff is there to keep the chases from going on too long. If you don't break line of sight and just run from pallet to pallet, it's supposed to make things more difficult for you.

Yea but on PAPER it sounds bad ergo its bad. :v:

This was honestly the best fix for pallet looping, poo poo was obnoxious on certain maps especially for killers like Myers and LOL if you didn't have brutal strength.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Coolguye posted:

lol the problem with survivors right now is borrowed time and self heal providing a synergy that clearly did not get thought through at all and both of you know it. don't bother defending this trainwreck of game design because the developers can't be bothered to add the simplest if statement disabling self-heal while on borrowed time and just releasing that in a balance test which also increases sprint burst cooldowns.

also those dissatisfied with the game represent market expansion opportunities if listened to and are, in fact, frequently very qualified to speak to a game's shortcomings. thinking like a game designer instead of an elitist prick, i know, real hard concept.

Sure, if you're not happy with a game, you're qualified to say what you don't like about it. However, trying to say that changes made are bad when you actually don't know anything about them or how they were actually implemented and have not tried them out yourself is, in fact, loving retarded, and not elitist at all to instantly dismiss, because there is zero merit or value to them, only salt.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This game has the saltiest of salty sailors in it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Sure, if you're not happy with a game, you're qualified to say what you don't like about it. However, trying to say that changes made are bad when you actually don't know anything about them or how they were actually implemented and have not tried them out yourself is, in fact, loving retarded, and not elitist at all to instantly dismiss, because there is zero merit or value to them, only salt.

did you actually mean trolling because loooooool

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Oh are you just le epic trolling the thread? My bad, you were only pretending to be retarded then.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

no dude, it makes absolutely no sense to say someone who 'has no value due to lack of experience' as salty, because by your own definition they don't have any skin in the game to be salty with

it's purely elitism and peoples' arbitrary countdown to mattering doesn't reset because there was a patch. people can generally grok changes.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Your feedback has no value because you literally just read one sentence off the patch notes and decided you didn't like how it sounded. It's not elitist to point out this has no bearing in reality, and you have no actual understanding of the changes, and dismiss your complaints. I never said that you had no emotional investment, only that you had the shallowest possible comprehension of it. I apologize that this is so difficult to grasp. I assure you that people who bitch and moan about the game's devs and say that they hope the game's competitors bury it are not the target demographic for player base expansion, sorry. I'm pretty sure that they would rather target mobile users first.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Coolguye posted:

no dude, it makes absolutely no sense to say someone who 'has no value due to lack of experience' as salty, because by your own definition they don't have any skin in the game to be salty with

it's purely elitism and peoples' arbitrary countdown to mattering doesn't reset because there was a patch. people can generally grok changes.

Go do a few matches, try out the changes yourself then come to back to us, for now you're just uselessly bitching about poo poo you know nothing about.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I dunno, something about this game's community has made me not so inclined to give it more chances. can't put my finger on it.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Your feedback has no value because you literally just read one sentence off the patch notes and decided you didn't like how it sounded. It's not elitist to point out this has no bearing in reality, and you have no actual understanding of the changes, and dismiss your complaints. I never said that you had no emotional investment, only that you had the shallowest possible comprehension of it. I apologize that this is so difficult to grasp. I assure you that people who bitch and moan about the game's devs and say that they hope the game's competitors bury it are not the target demographic for player base expansion, sorry. I'm pretty sure that they would rather target mobile users first.

You still haven't explained anything about why a solution with collateral damage is a good thing, but you did manage to portray yourself as a really condescending rear end in a top hat over a videogame anyway, so well done with that I guess?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The bloodlust thing exists to end overly long chases. It resets after the survivor loses line of sight. It has no bearing on gameplay as long as you aren't one of those survivors that like to run in circles around a pallet instead of actually trying to juke and hide.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Digirat posted:

I dunno, something about this game's community has made me not so inclined to give it more chances. can't put my finger on it.

You still haven't explained anything about why a solution with collateral damage is a good thing, but you did manage to portray yourself as a really condescending rear end in a top hat over a videogame anyway, so well done with that I guess?

poo poo man, you def don't play DBD enough if you think that's mean or being an rear end in a top hat. :newlol:

DBD has one of the worst communities around, the stuff he said is downright nice with the kind of poo poo you hear from DBD players, especially survivors mains who scream that killers are OP if they ever get caught.

quote:

The bloodlust thing exists to end overly long chases. It resets after the survivor loses line of sight. It has no bearing on gameplay as long as you aren't one of those survivors that like to run in circles around a pallet instead of actually trying to juke and hide.

Seriously, this is al bloodlust does, its designed to stop assholes from pallet juking and the various infinite spots scattered around a few maps, no more being a jackass and taunting the killer, you actually need to get away from him or he WILL catch you.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Digirat posted:

That's fine with me since I'm talking to really condescending assholes myself. When in Rome, etc.

Of course I haven't explained why a solution with collateral damage is a good thing, because I never agreed that that was the case to begin with. You have, by your own tacit admission, not played the patch. You have no idea what actual damage was done, collateral or not. You are talking entirely out of your rear end, and when I point this out to you, instead of going and playing the game for a bit and then coming back to tell me "yeah, I was right, it sucks," you just bitch and moan and call me elitist. And then you wonder why I don't bother addressing your non-argument.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

Fair point. But given that pallets are limited and (as coolguye has explained in the past) basically any other way of escaping relies on the killer loving up rather than the survivor playing well, nothing actually ever felt wrong about these situations to me. I'd either eat the stun or dodge it, and then break the pallet. Very often I killed those same people later because the pallets were gone and there was literally nothing they could do about me but hope I wasn't paying attention.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Alteisen posted:

Go do a few matches, try out the changes yourself then come to back to us, for now you're just uselessly bitching about poo poo you know nothing about.
oh are you now making more presumptions to discount me in your own mind, despite the fact that i've been posting in this thread since the game launched, was a huge fan, and slowly became disenchanted with it as i asked a number of fundamental questions that i could not get good answers to? dude, get over yourself, the game's design is questionable at most charitable and unjustifiable in a lot of cases and i have triple-digit hours in this game over stretching over many moons.

blackguy32 posted:

long chases are part of what little survivor gameplay exists. survivors get boldness points for them and the point return goes up geometrically - they matter and they're important. bloodlust does not reliably reset if LoS is lost briefly, such as in one of the autohaven wrecker mazes. it also doesn't function well in the coldwind farm wheat fields and gives the killer a much larger advantage there. it absolutely is a big killer buff and killers straight out did not and do not need it. they've got a perk that obliterates pallet meta and pallet meta isn't even that grand to begin with. the number one thing this changes is sprint burst strategies that use things like the rancid abattoir cow lanes to mess with the killer, and this would have been better handled by just freaking nerfing sprint burst, which also happened. there's absolutely other impacts here.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That's fine with me since I'm talking to really condescending assholes myself. When in Rome, etc.

Of course I haven't explained why a solution with collateral damage is a good thing, because I never agreed that that was the case to begin with. You have, by your own tacit admission, not played the patch. You have no idea what actual damage was done, collateral or not. You are talking entirely out of your rear end, and when I point this out to you, instead of going and playing the game for a bit and then coming back to tell me "yeah, I was right, it sucks," you just bitch and moan and call me elitist. And then you wonder why I don't bother addressing your non-argument.
- i have played this game a lot
- i've played it since the patch, entirely to see if you and alteisen had a point, because i've been posting in this thread for a long time and i wanted to give you two the benefit of the doubt
- you don't. these are bad changes that were not needed and the game is even more colossally boring to play killer than it was before, outside of the well known perk combinations that, for whatever reason, WEREN'T nerfed while all this poo poo was going on.

furthermore:
- digirat also has a point because he has also played this game a lot and has been scared off the game
- he has a very clear idea of why, exactly, he was scared off, and can communicate such
- you immediately got aggressive with him about it. if you honestly had confidence that his concerns were addressed, you'd have no need to. the facts would speak for themselves.

this game is bad, these changes are bad, please do not die on the hill of gamer critique etiquette for bad changes to a bad game.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 3, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Digirat posted:

Fair point. But given that pallets are limited and (as coolguye has explained in the past) basically any other way of escaping relies on the killer loving up rather than the survivor playing well, nothing actually ever felt wrong about these situations to me. I'd either eat the stun or dodge it, and then break the pallet. Very often I killed those same people later because the pallets were gone and there was literally nothing they could do about me but hope I wasn't paying attention.

That may be the case in lower rank play, but at high ranks it's entirely possible for the other 3 guys to get all 5 generators while you're being led through pallets. It is a 4-player team game on the survivor side, after all. If they're wasting the time that guy is buying, then yeah, he's wasting his time and when the pallets run out there's nothing left for him to do (especially if he doesn't know how to juke and hide).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Digirat posted:

there's also a perk that lets you destroy pallets MUCH faster and there simply are not enough pallets on the level to keep a killer at bay for more than ~1 minute if they are rolling the level 3 version of this perk. to assert that bloodlust was needed and cause lots of other chases to be affected (mazes in my experience, wheat field at absolute least, a couple edge cases like abattoir) when this perk exists is tone deaf. there was a solution in there for it. now if you wanted to remove perks altogether, then yes, absolutely, i could definitely get on board with this being a good way to handle the situation even though it has collateral damage. but this is a game where survivors can combine 3-4 perks from 3-4 different characters to completely upset the theme of the entire setting. a killer slotting one perk to counter an entire way of playing the game comparatively doesn't even ping the radar.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That may be the case in lower rank play, but at high ranks it's entirely possible for the other 3 guys to get all 5 generators while you're being led through pallets. It is a 4-player team game on the survivor side, after all. If they're wasting the time that guy is buying, then yeah, he's wasting his time and when the pallets run out there's nothing left for him to do (especially if he doesn't know how to juke and hide).

these 'well, at high level' arguments everywhere, on steam forums, in this thread, and even on freaking the freaking arqade Q&A site always seem to ignore the fact that killers get some very powerful perks too, and are frequently the ones calling the dance steps since their killer type sets the tone for the match. brutal strength exists, hex: destruction exists, hell unnerving presence/distressing exists. the last is a combo that has driven many a rank 1 streamer to fits.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 3, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Coolguye posted:

- i have played this game a lot
- i've played it since the patch, entirely to see if you and alteisen had a point, because i've been posting in this thread for a long time and i wanted to give you two the benefit of the doubt
- you don't. these are bad changes that were not needed and the game is even more colossally boring to play killer than it was before, outside of the well known perk combinations that, for whatever reason, WEREN'T nerfed while all this poo poo was going on.

furthermore:
- digirat also has a point because he has also played this game a lot and has been scared off the game
- he has a very clear idea of why, exactly, he was scared off, and can communicate such
- you immediately got aggressive with him about it. if you honestly had confidence that his concerns were addressed, you'd have no need to. the facts would speak for themselves.

this game is bad, these changes are bad, please do not die on the hill of gamer critique etiquette for bad changes to a bad game.

I have also put triple digit hours into this game. You're not special.

It's too bad that the patch didn't address the problems you had with the game. Personally, I've been playing since the beta (nearly an entire year now, as my post history can attest), and most of the issues I had with that beta were competently addressed. Infinites aren't a thing anymore, survivors cannot juke the same window endlessly, this latest patch bringing self-repairing hooks has killed the annoying Sabotage meta that made me unable to hook people unless I ran tryhard builds, etc. I've put about equal time into survivor and killer (though I mostly play killer these days because I'm a busy guy and I find it relaxing), and really had no trouble hiding from the killer and escaping while my teammates died like lemmings. I do have some problems with survivor gameplay: Facecamping sucks (sort of addressed with Borrowed Time), and it's extremely difficult for survivors to gain some point categories (like Boldness, as you pointed out) except by intentionally dragging out the game, which is bad manners. Boldness points don't come nearly easily enough, as you astutely observed, which means it's easy to pip up as a killer even if you don't win and much more difficult as a survivor. You don't get nearly enough escape points for struggling on the hook. I do question the direction they're trying to take with the game, when survivors are punished so much harder for not escaping than killers for not killing anyone. But it's still enjoyable regardless and I'm happy with how many issues they've tackled thus far.

I can respect that you didn't enjoy the game when you played it, even though I did. What I took issue with was blowing hot air about something you hadn't actually done any research into. It's a lovely character trait, which goes beyond mere game critique, and it took very little of your time to correct it.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 3, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I have also put triple digit hours into this game. You're not special.
but my takes on the game are spicy and invalid still, clearly, or else you would have taken this as a simple statement of the credibility you were asking for!

quote:

What I took issue with was blowing hot air about something you hadn't actually done any research into. It's a lovely character trait, which goes beyond mere game critique, and it took very little of your time to correct it.
like, for real, you just wrote an ostensibly genuine paragraph sandwiched between two sentences of passive-aggressive sniping because i jumped through all of your hoops, before you even put those hoops in place i might add, it's not like i completely rendered my judgments from on high in a vacuum, and still disagreed with you. my character flaw is getting mad at video games and their designers, which is one i can accept. you still seem to can't accept that you're being a defensive elitist over this dumb game.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Brother, I quite clearly said that I respected your negative opinion on the game, and if that isn't enough for you, I don't know what will satisfy you aside from agreeing with you.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This thread beautifully exemplifies the type of community DBD has. People on both sides yelling past each other.

Somewhere along the way this game's meta turned into being a salty AF survivor and crying about how unfair it is that a Killer can actually kill.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

This thread beautifully exemplifies the type of community DBD has. People on both sides yelling past each other.
And supposedly aloof people missing the point entirely, feeling they're above it all for doing so.

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well, I'm having fun again. As a killer I feel scary again, and that's something that was missing for months.

(Also holy poo poo Bloodlust is broken as poo poo on Billy. You can stand on top of someone in motion while revving the saw, it's just dumb.)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Coolguye posted:

And supposedly aloof people missing the point entirely, feeling they're above it all for doing so.

Nah man, it really is just a sea of salt across the board in this game, but the most salt is from "survivor mains" or whatever your want to call it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ya rly

• Locked thread