Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Oh lest we forget the sheer insanity that was EA's GoldenEye: Rogue Agent. The idea was you play a deranged agent dubbed GoldenEye who has a bionic laser eye to boot and you go about killing off the gallery of Bond villains. From what I can read on Wikipedia it plays off as some sort of fever dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WebDog posted:

Oh lest we forget the sheer insanity that was EA's GoldenEye: Rogue Agent. The idea was you play a deranged agent dubbed GoldenEye who has a bionic laser eye to boot and you go about killing off the gallery of Bond villains. From what I can read on Wikipedia it plays off as some sort of fever dream.

I own it, and you're 100% correct. It's an alternate continuity that transfers the action to a sort of near-future setting (it's ambivalent as to whether it's your typical "James Bond is the real world with fictional technology" thing or if it's actually meant to be a decade or two in the future, considering how much sci-fi poo poo there is), where Bond himself only shows up in a VR training mission at the beginning of the game where your character gets booted out of MI6 for "letting him die". It's a pretty average shooter, running on cool sci-fi stuff and cameos by multiple Bond characters. The key component to the game is a battle between Dr. No and Goldfinger for supremacy in the criminal underworld, with Scaramanga acting as your Q analogue.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

WebDog posted:

That has to be one of the most shameless attempts at a cash grab in gaming history. A game which has absolutely nothing to do with the beloved original in any way shape or form, or similarities in tone or gameplay, given the same title for a totally unrelated made up reason.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I actually really like the idea of GoldenEye and having a non-007 orientated look at the world as a henchman.

Just the idea. And the fact you can mix and match whatever you're dual-weilding. And Scaramanga with actual Christopher Lee performance.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Why would Scaramanga be a "Q" figure? He doesn't understand science, he said it himself! Zorin or Drax would make more sense to me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Andorra posted:

Why would Scaramanga be a "Q" figure? He doesn't understand science, he said it himself! Zorin or Drax would make more sense to me.

Probably because they needed someone who wasn't Goldfinger but still had a connection to gold to give the agent his golden eye, and chances are they just barely watched the films.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Seems like Ellie Goulding is singing the title song for Spectre. She hasn't really done anything Bond-like in the past but it could be decent.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I'm cool with that. The only stuff I've really really liked by her has been with Skrillex or Bassnectar but she's not, like, bad on her own.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The Living Daylights

I’m conflicted about Timothy Dalton’s James Bond.

Which seems fitting, because The Living Daylights is a conflicted movie. It comes across as several movies smashed together. You have decent spy movie about a fake defection to force an assassination. You have a corny romance movie, complete with sight seeing montages and carnival games. You have a movie about helping an uprising against an oppressive government. And then, sprinkled through all that, is a movie with an arms dealer making drug deals. It’s no wonder Dalton seems to have trouble finding his place in all of these movies happening at the same time.

Look, I like Joe Don Baker. And I think he has some fun (if weird) moments in this movie. But his character just doesn’t belong here. If you were to cut him out entirely (and make Koskov more menacing and less like a party boy), you’d be left with a stronger, more cohesive story. Baker’s Whitaker is such a side note, that when the movie gets back to him after an exciting climax, I had forgotten he existed. So strange.

People have said Dalton brings more passion and intensity to the role. I suppose it’s somewhat true, in that Dalton actually seems to care about the people he interacts with. But it’s still far more subdued than I was expecting. He also seems to take issue with the classic Bond-isms. His reading of, “Bond, James Bond” is so underplayed and sped through I don’t believe his character would actually say it over simply, “I’m James.” He gets one real one-liner (involving a boot), but he seems to hate himself while saying it. That’s not really a criticism of him, but the movie itself. If Dalton was going to play a more serious Bond, they should have cut out the less serious moments. Because this movie gets down right silly at times.

We open with an MI-6 training exercise, with three 00 agents breaking into a mountain facility, skydiving in. Only another faction is at play, as an assassin in on the grounds, and kills two of the agents. One of these agents looks vaguely like Roger Moore, and the other vaguely like George Lazenby. Which was apparently on purpose to “toy with the audience”, but I don’t know how it does that, and if they weren’t also going to have a Connery stand in, I don’t know why they bothered.

The third 00 agent is, of course, James Bond, who quickly discovers the assassinations (while getting attacked by a monkey, for no reason). He chases down the killer, and the two have a rather incredible fight on top of and inside of a military truck, before the truck launches off the mountain, and James parachutes out of the back (in a bit of foreshadowing for the climax of the movie). Bond, of course, lands on a yacht where a woman is complaining about not being able to find a “real man”. Bond, having just witnessed the death of two 00 agents, decides he can waste an hour with her, because of course he does.

The opening credits sequence is...fine, I guess. I’m going to be hard to impress after the A View to A Kill opening. The title song, “The Living Daylights” by A-ha is a somewhat forgettable mess. And the sequence itself straight forward Bond opening. I’m sorry, after this many of these reviews, if you’re not doing anything new with these, I don’t really know what else to write. Guns and naked women. The checklist was complete.

Also, the music in this movie is, I’m sorry to say, not doing anything for me. It’s basically your standard Bond theme, with an electronic drum machine and synth laid over it. It feels rather uninspired, but I again may have been ruined by A View to a Kill, that had a fantastic soundtrack.

Bond is assigned to assist with the defection of a KGB officer, General Georgi Koskov, played by Jeroen Krabbé. His assignment is to watch over the escape (from a concert hall watching an orchestra with a stunning blonde cellist) with a sniper rifle in case Koskov is attacked. In prep for this we get a couple moments that I called “subtle spy stuff” way back when I wrote my Dr. No review, and I love it. Bond’s contact turns on the lights in the apartment they’re stationed in, and Bond tells him to turn them off, while drawing closed his tuxedo jacket with a black cloth to hide the brightest parts, and saying he’ll use steel tipped bullets because they can penetrate the body armor most KGB agents use. It’s...nice to have a Bond who is just doing what he should and not prepping his jet pack or something. I also love how annoyed Bond is with his contact, who is a bit of a moron with a bad plan. We also find out here that Koskov asked for Bond specifically to watch over him, which rightly gives him a moment’s pause.

Koskov makes his escape out of a bathroom window, and Bond spots the blonde cellist (Kara Milovy, played by Maryam d’Abo) in a window with a sniper rifle. However, seeing that she clearly doesn’t really know how to handle the gun, he shoots the rifle out of her hands rather than kill her. This infuriates his contact, but Bond says, “I only kill professionals.” Which hasn’t really been the cause historically, but whatever. Here we also get the downright awful line, “Whoever she was, I must have scared the living daylights out of her.” Ugh.

Bond smuggles Koskov out via the Trans-Siberian Pipeline. Which is fine, and all, but in order to distract the supervisor, we get a scene where a woman shoves the supervisors face into her large chest, and then just walks away saying she’s not that kind of girl. It’s just such a weird, silly moment, that doesn’t actually make any sense. Like, this was in a script. That someone was paid to write. Anyway, Koskov is into Austria, and then England (via Harrier Jump Jet. I love Harriers.)

While in Q-Branch and looking at known female assassins to try and identify the sniper, we get our new Moneypenny, only the second of the entire series, here played by Caroline Bliss. And she is no Lois Maxwell. She is also fine, I guess, but they seemed to want to make her seem more...square, I guess? She has glasses, and mentioned how Bond should come back to her place and listen to some Barry Manilow. She fawns over Bond, and I miss the fun give and take Maxwell always had with Bond. Downgrade. Oh, and I have to mention Q testing out a new device, which is a boom box that shoots out a rocket. It’s called...a ghetto blaster. I don’t know whether to applaud that or stop watching Bond movies altogether. We’re certainly in the 80’s.

In his post-defection briefing, Koskov informs MI-6 that General Pushkin, the new head of the KGB after Gogol left, has reinstated the old policy of “Smiert Spionom”, or death to spies. I understand they originally wanted Gogol to be the target here, which would have been wonderful, but the actor was in poor health, so they invented Pushkin. I would have preferred Gogol, but nothing to be done, and at least Pushkin is played by John Rhys-Davies, so that nice. Essentially, Koskov is convincing them that Pushkin must be assassinated.

I’m going to jump ahead, because I might as well get into this plot now. Obviously, Koskov is lying, faked his defection, and is doing all of this so MI-6 will assassinate Pushkin. We find out later that he does this because Pushkin is threatening to derail some arms deal, but I swear this is the least efficient assassination method I can think of. Just shooting him yourself would be so much easier (and they, in fact, almost do this anyway). It’s something that I, at first, thought was pretty clever, but the more I think about it the less I like it. Oh well, Bond villain, and all.

Koskov is “abducted” by our lead henchman for the movie, Necros, played by Andreas Wisniewski. Necros is a henchman in the mold of Red Grant, and he’s pretty great. A tall blonde Russian with 1% body fat, he’s imposing and terrifying. M is furious that Koskov was abducted, and assigns Bond to track down Pushkin in Tangier and kill him, but Bond doesn’t believe Pushkin would order these killings (which, again, would work better if it were Gogol, but oh well), and first sets out to track down the cellist, whom Moneypenny has now identified as Milovy. But first he naturally, stops by Q Branch again to get his car (the Aston Martin making a return to the series), and his gadget of the movie, a key finder triggered by a whistle? Were these a thing? Anyway, this one, when armed, spits out a “disorienting gas”.

Bond discovers that Koskov’s defection was staged, and that Milovy is actually Koskov’s girlfriend, who was only pretending to try to shoot him to make the defection look real. Bond convinces her that he is a friend of Koskov and that she should come with him to Vienna, to be reunited with Koskov. She agrees, but insists they pick up her cello first (which, after cramming into the Aston Martin, get’s Bond to say, “Why couldn’t you have learned the violin,” which is a line I like). They are pursued by the KGB, and here the movie gets a bit too silly for me. When a KGB car pulls up next to Bond’s car, he presses a button that spits out an actual laser that takes off the bottom of the other car. Then he shoots missiles out of the front to destroy a road block. Then they head out onto the ice, and Bond has outrigger legs steel spiked tires come out. And then he cuts a whole in the ice with a flat tire that apparently cuts a foot into the ice, sinking the KGB car, Looney Tunes style. Then he rockets up a ramp and basically flies away. Then they sled down the snow covered mountain in Milovy’s cello case. It’s around 4 or 5 levels too ridiculous for the way the rest of the movie plays out. Though, to his credit, Dalton plays off rather well, pretending he’s not a spy and that he’s just had a few optional upgrades added to the car. “Amazing, these modern safety glass.” He’s great, here, even if the scene is too much.

Then we take a break from our movie to spend some time with crazy rear end Joe Don Baker. Pushkin goes to visit Baker’s General Whitaker, an arms dealer, to tell him their deal is off. And holy poo poo Whitaker’s house. He has a “pantheon of great commanders”, which is basically wax figurines of himself dressed up as military leaders of the past. Like Caeser. And Napoleon. And Hitler. I’m not kidding, this movie made a wax figurine of Joe Don Baker as Hitler. I wonder if that thing still exists in some film studio basement somewhere. Or if it’s in Joe Don Baker’s house. He also has models of famous battles. Anyway, Pushkin says the deal is off because they know Whitaker has taken their money but done nothing with it.

Then the movie takes an even longer break, and Bond and Milovy spend time together sightseeing in Vienna. It’s a montage of Bond actually, apparently falling for this woman, I guess? Even though he’s posing as Koskov’s friend, and Koskov is, in theory, Milovy’s boyfriend. They take a carriage ride, go to a concert, play some carnival games (with Bond still in his tux, of course), ride a roller coaster, and I’m so bored. It ends with them making out onto top of a stuffed animal, and Bond meets with Saunders (the idiot MI-6 ally from the defection earlier), who has discovered a history of financial dealings between Koskov and Whitaker. As he leaves, Saunders is killed by Necros, via rigged sliding glass door. Which is crazy. This enrages Bond, who goes all crazy person running through a fair with a gun. Which is fun. At least the movie is picking up again.

Bond and Milovy head to Tangier, where Bond confronts Pushkin, who disavows any knowledge of the “death to spies” plan, and reveals that Koskov is evading arrest for embezzling government funds. This all happens in Pushkin’s hotel room, with his (I believe) mistress. And while this Bond may be more emotional and less of a dick to woman, that doesn’t stop him from ripping the clothes off of the mistress to distract a guard (in what is probably the most explicit shot yet in a Bond movie). It’s uncomfortable coming from Dalton. Bond believes him (because obviously that’s what’s happening, and they fake Pushkin’s assassination. Necros was on the scene to kill Pushkin as well, because apparently they got tired of waiting for their “Make Bond kill him” plan to actually happen. Which makes sense. It’s a dumb plan. But they now assume the plan works. The scenes with Pushkin and Bond are well played all around, intense and emotional as they both know Pushkin may be dead soon. But I can’t help thinking once again how great it would have been if this character had been Gogol, someone Bond actually has a history with. Why didn’t they just make Davies Gogol? We had a new Bond, we didn’t need to stick with the same actor for Gogol. Oh well. Anyway, yeah, Davies is fantastic in this movie.

Bond is captured by two women in a convertible, but just for a moment as we meet up with yet another Felix Leiter. I’ve lost count of which one this is, but he adds nothing to this movie. While this is happening, Milovy contacts Koskov, because she’s bad at this movie, and Koskov convinces her that Bond is a KGB agent. So she drugs him, allowing Koskov to capture Bond. Wonderful. They put him on a plain and fly to a Soviet air base in *sigh* Afghanistan.

So yeah, Afghanistan. I hesitate to know what to say about this section. Overall, it’s uncomfortable, to say the least, given the events of the past 15 years. Bond essentially allies himself with the local Mujahideen, and it’s very resistance fighters against the evil big bad empire trying to take over the country. Which are the Soviets. In this decade. Yeah. I’m not going to get into the politics of it beyond right here, because a write-up of a silly Bond movie is not the place. But I’d say neither is the silly Bond movie. (I know the Rambo series had a similar plot in part 3.) Obviously there was no way to know, so it’s hardly the movies fault. But it’s odd watching it now through the lense of history.

Oh, also, some diamonds are being smuggled as well, hidden inside of ice keeping a still beating heart cold. And...this isn’t how they transport organs, right? Because um....weird.

Milovy has instantly flipped back to trusting Bond, and she is going to be imprisoned with Bond, but they escape using the whistle key gas thing. In doing so, they also free a condemned prisoner, Kamran Shah, who just so happens to be the leader of the local Mujahideen. So that was convenient. They also discover that Koskov is using Soviet funds to buy a massive shipment of opium from the Afghans. So they can sell the opium in America, I think? I’m not entirely clear on this part. But opium for guns is the general idea. And diamonds in there somewhere, too, I guess.

We get a small scene of Milovy being worried for Bond, and while Dalton is doing his best, these two have zero chemistry.Kamram Shah is, of course more than willing to help Bond screw with the Russians. Bond plants a bomb in one bag of opium, but is spotted and barricades himself inside a large cargo plane with the opium. At this time the Mujahideen attack the air base, and Bond decides to fly the plane out (oh, uh...Milovy got on board at some point too. Because she needed to be here for this “final” fight.) Just before the plane takes off, Necros jumps on board as well.

Milovy keeps the plane steady while Bond heads back to disable the bomb, but running into and fighting Necros. At least, that’s what she’s supposed to do, but she’s doing a really bad job of it, and for reasons passing understanding opens the back of the plane, leading to Bond and Necros in a loving incredible fight dangling on a cargo net a mile high. It’s the kind of aerial stunt scene I’ve come to expect from the series at this point (which is unfortunate, because I think this is the last instance of one), and must have been quite the feat to film. It ends with Necros hanging onto Bond’s boot, causing Bond to use a knife to cut off his laces. Necros probably could have grabbed into the cargo net again, but oh well. He dies screaming, and Bond heads back in, disabling the bomb, and dropping his only one liner of the movie, “He got the boot.”

They fly the plane of the Russians chasing the Mujahideen, and drop the bomb on the Russians, blowing a obvious model bridge, to the cries of victory from the Afghan rebels. After seeing the plane is losing fuel, Bond and Milovy jettison a jeep inside of the plane while just above the ground. Which should have killed them, but the jeep had a parachute, so whatever. Bond sees a sign for Karachi, and says, “I know a great restaurant in Karachi. We should just make dinner.” Great line. And that should have been the end of the movie, but then I guess the screenwriter remembered Whitaker was a thing.

Bond, with the help of Felix and the CIA, storms Whitaker’s complex, who mentions something about reenacting the Battle of Gettysburg using his models. Whitaker gets pissed that Bond burnt his opium, and starts pulling guns out of everywhere. Including one gun that shields his head. Which Bond keeps shooting at. While Whitaker’s body is fully exposed. I got nothing. Whitaker is taken out via exploding key whistle thingy, and his dead body lands on a model of the Battle of Waterloo. Bond is then saved from a random soldier by Pushkin himself with a machine gun. Sure, why not. Koskov also runs in, hugging Pushkin, who says he needs to be put on a plane back to Moscow, “In a diplomatic bag.” I don’t know what that means. Does he mean body bag? That’s weird.

We flash forward an undetermined amount of time, and Milovy is now a world renowned cellist performing in London She meets with Gogol (yay!), right before Afghan rebels come into the concert hall, with guns and bandoliers and everything, sad they missed the first half. Kamran Shah and Gogol meet, I guess ending the Afghan war? After her performance, Bond surprises her in her dressing room with a “You didn’t think I’d miss this part, did you?” Basically saying, “I’m sure you’re a great musician, but I couldn’t care less. Now, let’s have sex.” And that’s our movie.

Overall, I think it’s a decent to good movie. The performances by the actors playing anyone not named Milovy are top notch. Dalton is, I think, on the way to something great with his performance of Bond, but he’s not there yet. The romantic scenes all came across a bit awkward to me, and he seemed his most comfortable when he got to let anger or terror rule inform his efforts. Which is why I’m hopeful for the next film, which, if I remember correctly, is a revenge flick.

And with that, we come to an interesting milestone, in that this is the last Bond movie I had yet to ever watch. I’ve now seen them all (although, it’s been so long since I watched the next movie, it’ll almost be like a cold watch anyway). I don’t really have any deep thoughts yet, though I’ll probably write a series wrap-up when I’m all done (which, at the rate I’m writing these, will probably be sometime around 2017). So, onwards and upwards I guess, to Timothy Dalton’s second and last chance to leave a mark on the series.

James Bond will return in License to Kill!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Living Daylights has the best Bond score...synths over the Bond theme? It has some of Barry's richest orchestration...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erdibleoZf8

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Darko posted:

Living Daylights has the best Bond score...synths over the Bond theme? It has some of Barry's richest orchestration...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erdibleoZf8

Alright I was probably wrong to say synth, but what sounds like a drum machine over a good portion of it is distracting away from the orchestration, to me.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

thrawn527 posted:

The opening credits sequence is...fine, I guess. I’m going to be hard to impress after the A View to A Kill opening. The title song, “The Living Daylights” by A-ha is a somewhat forgettable mess. And the sequence itself straight forward Bond opening. I’m sorry, after this many of these reviews, if you’re not doing anything new with these, I don’t really know what else to write. Guns and naked women. The checklist was complete.

Goldeneye has a pretty good intro I think, yes it is standard bond naked ladies dancing, but the song is pretty great and it shows the collapse of the soviet union using a whole bunch of motifs and imagery which i thought was neat.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Maurice Binder kind of checked out after The Spy Who Loved Me IMO, at least in terms of the title sequence representing themes from the movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

drunkill posted:

Goldeneye has a pretty good intro I think, yes it is standard bond naked ladies dancing, but the song is pretty great and it shows the collapse of the soviet union using a whole bunch of motifs and imagery which i thought was neat.

I haven't watched Goldeneye in years, but I remember loving the opening credits, both the sequence and the great Tina Turner song.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
TLD has my favorite Bond burn: "Well, Georgi, we have a saying back in England too...and you're full of it."

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Man, I liked A-ha's song :(

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Jose Oquendo posted:

Man, I liked A-ha's song :(

Don't feel alone. I like everything about that movie. It is my favorite Bond movie. I'm not saying it's the best, just my favorite.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like Living Daylights, but I like the next one even better. I think Dalton kind of had his Bond going by then.

Too bad he played Bond in only three movies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wandle Cax posted:

That has to be one of the most shameless attempts at a cash grab in gaming history. A game which has absolutely nothing to do with the beloved original in any way shape or form, or similarities in tone or gameplay, given the same title for a totally unrelated made up reason.

No no no it makes perfect sense, the main character has a golden eye.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

MonsieurChoc posted:

I like Living Daylights, but I like the next one even better. I think Dalton kind of had his Bond going by then.

Too bad he played Bond in only three movies.

I know I'm being baited but...three?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

thrawn527 posted:

and starts pulling guns out of everywhere. Including one gun that shields his head. Which Bond keeps shooting at. While Whitaker’s body is fully exposed. I got nothing.

THIS. Even when I first saw this movie as a kid it was like, why does he keep specifically aiming at the tiny shield thing on this face? The dude's huge.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

I know I'm being baited but...three?

In Looney Tunes Back In Action, Dalton plays a superspy who's undercover as an actor that plays a superspy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl0o7QWi9NM

It's an... uneven movie.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Neo Rasa posted:

THIS. Even when I first saw this movie as a kid it was like, why does he keep specifically aiming at the tiny shield thing on this face? The dude's huge.

I think Whitaker boasts about "state off the art body armor" so maybe they were implying some kind of Denofrio Kingpin body armor.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

MonsieurChoc posted:

In Looney Tunes Back In Action, Dalton plays a superspy who's undercover as an actor that plays a superspy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl0o7QWi9NM

It's an... uneven movie.

I'm not sad I didn't see that movie, but I am glad I saw the small part of that clip that had Timothy Dalton in it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Personally I enjoyed this movie. It has some uneven pacing, but it tried to address some of the issues of the past Bond films and their characterization. Like Bond and Kara going off on a date damaged the pacing a little, but it made their relationship's evolution feel a bit more legitimate instead of Bond just using semi-magical charm to undress every woman he meets.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

I'm not sad I didn't see that movie, but I am glad I saw the small part of that clip that had Timothy Dalton in it.

Yeah. It's not good, but I have a soft spot for it. It totally wastes Steve Martin, but it does have Brendan Fraser punching himself for being an rear end in a top hat.

There's also a running joke of FakeBond Timothy Dalton posters everywhere, with bad puns on James Bond movies, like License to Spy.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

JohnnySavs posted:

I think Whitaker boasts about "state off the art body armor" so maybe they were implying some kind of Denofrio Kingpin body armor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZYeWBfnuK0

Pretty sure thats what he had on, since Bond wasnt aiming for the shield at first.

This was a really enjoyable Bond movie, and it's soundtrack is definitely one of my favorites.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Looney Tunes: Back In Action is a bit uneven, but is does have its moments.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
To me the awkward politics of the Living Daylights really just adds to its charm.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I remember liking Koskov a lot as a kid and finding him pretty amusing and charming, fun slimy character played by a cool actor

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Fangz posted:

To me the awkward politics of the Living Daylights really just adds to its charm.

In my opinion, it's the reason to watch it, ala Rambo 3.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Holy poo poo, that review was exactly the kind of half-assed poo poo I'd expect from a millennial with ADD and minor autism. Context, motherfucker, try and understand some.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sentinel Red posted:

Holy poo poo, that review was exactly the kind of half-assed poo poo I'd expect from a millennial with ADD and minor autism. Context, motherfucker, try and understand some.

...alright.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 18, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sentinel Red posted:

But how do you really feel?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Sentinel Red posted:

Yes, but is it art?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sentinel Red posted:

Uncle Gary is that you? Listen man, you got banned from Thanksgiving gatherings for a reason, please learn how to control yourself.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yes, but is it art?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhAPnorpqD0

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm really not a big fan of the Dalton films...they come off as something completely different and not what I think works for a Bond movie. The villains in TLD are awful, not as bad as some other movies, but they are not a real threat. I agree that Koskov needed to be more consistent...because he doesn't come off as threatening or intimidating or anything. Whitaker does not need to be in this movie, as mentioned. He's just kind of there. I get that in this and LtK they are trying to update Bond a bit, but it's very clunky. Dalton's version of Bond feels like a completely different character than any of the other Bonds we've seen, even now. Even Craig's rougher Bond at least fits better with his time period.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I really liked Koskov for whatever he was, even if he doesn't have the typical Bond enemy personality that's just kind of why he and his "diplomatic bag" ending are more memorable for me.
Plus, when you've got Necros there's no reason to be intimidating or threatening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

In my opinion, it's the reason to watch it, ala Rambo 3.

I would agree especially in the Rambo 3 example, because I think Rambo 3 is too bland otherwise.

As for the Living Daylights, I thought it was ok. But overall, I thought it was just boring save for a few scenes. I did like how Necros assassinated people with his walkman.

License to Kill however is one of my favorite Bond films and it is very different for a Bond film. It can be pretty gruesome at times. It also has a pretty decent Bond song to go along with it.

• Locked thread