Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

This is the first time a console manufacturer actually stopped producing consoles before the next gen was even out isn’t it?

On top of not announcing the price for the new console.

This is the first time a console manufacturer had a global pandemic shut down manufacturing facilities in the biggest manufacturing country for their product and had to rely entirely on smaller facilities in other countries.

Basically, China is out as a manufacturer at this point so they are relying on the limited facilities in Mexico and Canada to make their launch consoles. They don't have assembly lines for all their old boxes anymore (it's also why there's a PS4 shortage - Sony is in the same situation but has larger production facilities in Japan and Korea (both of which have done really well at controlling Covid) so they haven't had to cancel production, just slow it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It's going to be interesting to see if launch XSXs have quality control issues if Microsoft are having to throw together a new manufacturing pipeline in a hurry.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They dont own detroit

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Real hurthling! posted:

They dont own detroit

Oh, I see. I assumed so because they published it. My mistake.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

David cage got a lot of favors from sony for his work developing their motion capture technologies over the years but recently wanted to get more sales on his catalog and stopped being like a voluntary 2nd party.
Now that he was found guilty of a toxic abusive workplace in french court i dunno if he'll get the same welcome if he tries to make another exclusive but he probably would cause chaos reigns

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

David cage got a lot of favors from sony for his work developing their motion capture technologies over the years but recently wanted to get more sales on his catalog and stopped being like a voluntary 2nd party.
Now that he was found guilty of a toxic abusive workplace in french court i dunno if he'll get the same welcome if he tries to make another exclusive but he probably would cause chaos reigns

I see. So it's like a Ninja Gaiden 2 situation.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

punk rebel ecks posted:

The PS4 and PS2 titles have sold more or less the same with the PS2 having a bit of an edge overall and the PS4 having an edge with the top 8. Though with the PS2 selling more units than the PS4 due to obvious reasons and the PS4 coming at a time when gaming is more "mainstream" this is a bit of apples and oranges comparison. It just isn't Horizon getting ported to PC, but Detroit, Until Dawn, and as you said Death Stranding. Sony is at least willing to experiment with exclusivity. Which again is important, but likely not as important as it once was where you had even third party studios being courted to make exclusives left and right (which to be fair still exists today but not in the same form and nowhere near as common).

Xbox One failing so hard ignores a bit of context. The Xbox 360 lacked in exclusives as well compared to its rivals and still did well. However, its successor fumbled out the gate due to being over-priced, underpowered, and a lot of bad press. Microsoft gradually reinvented the platform and it has been doing notably better though still lagging behind as it is stuck behind the tailwind of Sony's and Nintendo's already existing runaway hits. So they're continuing with that philosophy this upcoming generation.

detroit and death stranding arent sony games, until dawn isnt either but also there isnt a pc port? the only sony game that has a pc port is hzd. they have said no other games will get ports. whats confusing you is that sony both has a bunch of their own inhouse studios as well as a seperate publishing arm they use to put out limited exclusivity third party titles.

the 360 had tons of exclusives early on but stopped later in favor of a kinect hyperfocus while the ps3 pulled level. the xbone came out with the same issues as the ps3 but the big difference is sony pushed out tons of titles to the ps3 to draw people back in while microsoft cancelled half of their announcements and the other half were either the halo/forza/gears trio or were trash like crackdown 3. the platform is not doing better, its in third place against two consoles that'll end up as two of the best selling consoles ever, it cannot even match the 360 and ps3s relatively low sales last gen compared to stuff like the ps1 and ps2. if they want to do well they should probably spend more time worrying about what all the studios they keep buying are doing and get some games out on more reliable timescales and spend less time yelling about 12 teraflops before showing off an xbox 360 game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You forgot mlb stux.

Baseball pressured them to take it blue ocean in the new contract

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

These are for the trademarks

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Death stranding isn't even an actual video game lol

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Stux posted:

detroit and death stranding arent sony games, until dawn isnt either but also there isnt a pc port? the only sony game that has a pc port is hzd. they have said no other games will get ports. whats confusing you is that sony both has a bunch of their own inhouse studios as well as a seperate publishing arm they use to put out limited exclusivity third party titles.

I see.

Stux posted:

if they want to do well they should probably spend more time worrying about what all the studios they keep buying are doing and get some games out on more reliable timescales and spend less time yelling about 12 teraflops before showing off an xbox 360 game.

Microsoft did turn things around midway this gen, at least to some significant degree. But still not enough to combat the PS4 and Switch. I will completely agree with this line though. They keep buying studios and they get relatively little in return. They've been around for two decades and still have mediocre first party support. It's been two years since their acquisitions and the best they have to show for it is...Grounded.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They are not in the same category as a god of war though, i think theres more to ip rights than tm but im no expert

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Real hurthling! posted:

You forgot mlb stux.

Baseball pressured them to take it blue ocean in the new contract

oh yeah that one as well, thats a strange one though cos i dont know if the situation of "literally no one else can/will make an mlb game help" has come up before

Rinkles posted:

These are for the trademarks

do you not think sony would publish the PC ports themselves if they wholly owned the IPs and rights to the games? microsoft isnt getting deep silver to publish halo infinite for them, and hzds pc port is published by sony.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Stux posted:

do you not think sony would publish the PC ports themselves if they wholly owned the IPs and rights to the games? microsoft isnt getting deep silver to publish halo infinite for them, and hzds pc port is published by sony.

idk, but I don't see any evidence that it's not their intellectual property.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I think the rumor was that mlb was going to fund a competitor unless sony agreed to bring ports to other storefronts.
The leagues popularity has been plummiting cause they play 95% of games late in the evening on 150 week days a year so nobody gives a gently caress except die hards and they need more eyes on the sport than an exclusive can bring

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
some would think a big tell tale sign would be 505 publishing death stranding instead of sony, a gigantic international publisher who would presumably want the income from publishing the title and not give it away for absolutely no reason at all.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

There is still a good relationship between Quantic Dream and Sony, their recent announcement to self-publish does not necessarily mean an end to exclusivity. They've also been putting themselves out there in the French dev community as a "production mentoring" service, where they're offering to assist smaller indies get their games noticed and make use of their mo-cap equipment and tech expertise. Which is cool after they lost a employee harassment court case, better put yourselves out there as the cool and awesome guys helping out the little downtrodden ones.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Stux posted:

some would think a big tell tale sign would be 505 publishing death stranding instead of sony, a gigantic international publisher who would presumably want the income from publishing the title and not give it away for absolutely no reason at all.

Might be the deal they worked out. Sony keeps the IP, Kojima gets pc sales.

Again, Sony has the trademark. Are you saying there's some other form of IP Kojima retained?

Another reason I'm sceptical is that I remember Insomniac saying one of the reasons for working with Microsoft was MS letting them keep their IP, which Sony was adamantly against on principle.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
im saying sony holding a trademark when the games are made by third party studios which released on pc without sonys involvement doesnt equal "sony pc ports" in any concievable way

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Is horizon forbidden west confirmed coming out on pc?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

this ip stuff reminded me

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ethanol posted:

No

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/AbiSV1/status/1287195219495129092?s=20

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

ethanol posted:

Nope. Releasing Horizon Zero Dawn on PC a few months before the PS5 launch is likely a marketing strategy - and a terrific one. It's a fantastic and stunningly beautiful game, and likely even more so on the latest PC hardware.

If the sequel releases in 2021 I imagine many PC gamers might be willing to pick up a PS5 in order to play it. If HFW does get ported to PC it likely would not be for at least several years of PS5 exclusivity.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Is Spider-Man coming to pc? Bloodborne? God of war? Demon souls??

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

What is this about the One X production being discontinued? The last I had heard they had shut down the production of the S and the SAD.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

I see.

Microsoft did turn things around midway this gen, at least to some significant degree.

Yep but not on games.
They deffo found a niche as the place to play for people that want an instant library and 360 games tho and made the console less embarrassing but their games situation was undeniably stronger before phil took over.
I agree with you about the new studios too. The acquisitions ms made may pay off but its looking like it will be 2022 before they have a AAA game out

ErrEff posted:

There is still a good relationship between Quantic Dream and Sony, their recent announcement to self-publish does not necessarily mean an end to exclusivity. They've also been putting themselves out there in the French dev community as a "production mentoring" service, where they're offering to assist smaller indies get their games noticed and make use of their mo-cap equipment and tech expertise. Which is cool after they lost a employee harassment court case, better put yourselves out there as the cool and awesome guys helping out the little downtrodden ones.

Thanks gtk

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 26, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

What is this about the One X production being discontinued? The last I had heard they had shut down the production of the S and the SAD.

No, S is still in production. X and SAD are dead.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

Eh they probably have a couple million sitting in retail warehouses anyway. I bet they'll still be available until the Xbox Series X launches.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ethanol posted:

No. Bb had a rumor but it never materialized

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ethanol posted:

There was a huge rumor about Bloodborne getting a PC port a few months ago. The rumor has always been around but it was much stronger then.

Real hurthling! posted:

Yep but not on games.
They deffo found a niche as the place to play for people that want an instant library and 360 games tho and made the console less embarrassing but their games situation was undeniably stronger before phil took over.
I agree with you about the new studios too. The acquisitions ms made may pay off but its looking like it will be 2022 before they have a AAA game out

I honestly want to type a big rant on Microsoft's game output but am worried that I'd be accused of trolling. Because IMO it's that bad for a major first party console maker.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I say post it. Trolling and telling the truth are pretty far apart. As a pc owner i want all these games to be good but im scared

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Eh, unless it's just a rant about the majority of this generation I'm not entirely sure it's warranted. Xbox obviously hosed up a good five years or so, but then finally got buy in from Microsoft as a whole to go on a developer buying spree and radically change their business model. The new developers haven't had a chance to pay off yet, and the business model is looking pretty strong, so idk.

Besides this could actually be a pretty good year for them all things told. Ori, Grounded, Tell Me Why, Wasteland 3, Halo (bad showing be damned, an absurd number of people will play this game initially), Flight Sim and still maybe AoE3DE would be a neat as hell lineup. I think I'd buy at least 6 of those, maybe all 7. Plus games like Sea of Thieves continuing to do better and better, AoE2 DE/MCC on PC still selling very well etc.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The issue is that Microsoft just isn't as good of a developer or publisher compared to Sony and Nintendo. It doesn't matter if they purchased a bunch of studios if they aren't aware of how to squeeze out their potential and give some sense of cohesion to it all. They have been in the console industry for two decades yet the only franchises they have that have any sort of impact are Halo, Forza, and Gears. And by "any sort of impact" I mean that they are series that break a million copies. What's worse is that they aren't even breaking it by all that much, as Luigi's Mansion 3 has outsold any in-house Microsoft game on the console.

This is inexcusable as Microsoft only got in the console market a bit over five years after Sony. At this time of their lifespan Sony had franchises like God of War, Gran Turismo, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Rachet and Clank, etc. All from starting from different time periods and with more breakthrough franchises coming. Meanwhile all of Microsoft's million+ selling franchises are from before the Xbox 360's first anniversary. This is a huge problem.

Now people will point out that they recently acquired many studios, but just simply having a quality developer isn't good enough. EA for example has Bioware and countless other developers who have struggled and/or died under their guidance. Now to be fair, Microsoft certainly doesn't seem as dire, but from what little experience we've seen from them absorbing studios in-house isn't exactly the best. Ensemble and FAFSA were closed down not even surviving a decade under Microsoft's wing. Rare was one of the most well respected developers when Microsoft bought them, and while there are absolutely people who are fans of Viva Pinata, Nuts and Bolts, and Sea of Thieves, the former two certainly weren't as relevant or well received as the company's offerings during the '90s, and while I can't comment much on Sea of Thieves, it launched unfinished and even if it has turned into this massive critically and commercially acclaimed games years after release, one exception doesn't negate a stark trend.

So given this evidence I can't really have that much faith. Sure the developers Microsoft purchased definitely are of quality, but again can they push and support them to their potential? Monolith Soft was a developer with a record of making games that were rated and looked at as average to above average. After Nintendo purchased them they've been working on the highly critically and commercially acclaimed Xenoblade series and frequently assist on the companies most major titles such as BOTW, Animal Crossing, and Splatoon 2. Don't get me wrong, the Xenosaga series left its mark, but it's dwarfed by the one left by Xenoblade. Next Level Games was primarily known for shovelware crap but after working with Nintendo they are now known for developing the very well selling and received Luigi's Mansion sequels (Federation Force is likely and luckily a fluke).

As for Sony well, I don't want to go into too much detail as I don't want this post to be (even more of) a wall of text, and that Sony tends to take an approach of "make the developer work exclusively with us a lot before acquiring them" but before working with Sony some of their developers made stuff like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuqy_x14Ixw

This studio proceeded to make Crash Bandicoot and this year released The Last of Us Part II.

I don't think Ninja Theory, Obsidian, and inExile, and Undead Labs will suffer substantial quality declines under Microsoft, but I don't think they will reach the heights they need to turn heads away from people eyeing the Playstation or Nintendo consoles. Sony released industry shattering games like God of War, Spider-man, and the Last of Us Part II. Nintendo releases cultural phenomenons like Animal Crossing, Breath of the Wild, and Mario Kart. Meanwhile most of Microsoft's games struggle to sell more than the original Fable. Both critically and commercially. That's why I don't feel that these studio purchases are a guarantee to make Microsoft competitive or even to be relevant in their offerings compared to Sony or Nintendo.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 26, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The only reason I stick with Microsoft is because they have the superior controller :shrug:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Good write up! They dont give a poo poo about sales anymore tho. They solved that problem.

MarcusSA posted:

The only reason I stick with Microsoft is because they have the superior controller :shrug:

Pc

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Sony's most successful divisions are entertainment and hardware. Microsofts is enterprise software, and one could argue peripherals like keyboards and mice. MS has always been envious of the lack of direct to consumer products that really make a splash. When the XB1 first launched they hired the loving head of tv development of cbs or some poo poo to make quantum break a legit tv property as well as a game. they had grand ambitions of being a media empire. Gates wanted to do it, so did balmer. I think a lot of that mentality is still around in xbox, but for some reason, despite making software that makes software, they cannot make anything that is narratively good. So all they have are racing and generic army guy games.

I don't really care at this point. I dont expect every platform holder to also be able to develop award winning AAA games. As along as they facilitate the development and distribution in a way that encourages new types of games that aren't chasing BR clones then I think we all win, since every platform is offering something a bit different.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

For my couch!

Yes I know I could build a pc for my living room but I don’t wanna deal with that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

For my couch!

Yes I know I could build a pc for my living room but I don’t wanna deal with that.

I got a laptop from 2017 with a 1070 in it, an hdmi cable, and a good witeless lap keyboard/mouse. Not the cheapest or smartest way to do it at all but its easy as hell and works a lot better that the 1s i used to have and is smaller than a next gen console in 2 of 3 dimensions lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is inexcusable as Microsoft only got in the console market a bit over five years after Sony. At this time of their lifespan Sony had franchises like God of War, Gran Turismo, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Rachet and Clank, etc. All from starting from different time periods and with more breakthrough franchises coming. Meanwhile all of Microsoft's million+ selling franchises are from before the Xbox 360's first anniversary. This is a huge problem.

I believe Sony success is the extraordinary thing, and maybe a single person can be to be blamed for it. Finding the really good projects out there, giving these people "infinite" money and time to polish their thing. Recognicing when it works. Marketing it like the best thing ever. It require a serie of skills that are rare.

Now Microsoft own a lot of cool studios that made really good games before. Will they recognize the good projects on their infancy, when they look like amateur projects a student made? Will they bet a lot of money on these even when it require a leap of faith?

Do Microsoft even need to win this generation? they have the gamepass, they only need to add 4 or 5 cool games every month, and is a awesome service people will pay and recommend other people. I think is easier to put a lot of money in the table and "buy Carrion" for the game pass, than to find some random dev and give him money to *maybe* create a good game. Buying games for the gamepass when they are already made and are good games is easier.

Tei fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 26, 2020