Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
So I was at work all day yesterday and missed this entirely; is there anywhere I can see the negotiations/last dude's surrender like on youtube?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sky Shadowing posted:

I would inquire about bets of 'who will be the first to claim 'gold fringe' or ask 'do you have a claim on me'', but I think we can all reasonably guess the answer is 'the first guy they haul into court/speak'.

But when the first guy is sentenced to 10+ years for this bullshit, the rest will turn on each other to plea deal the poo poo out of it.
Fry will be on his own though, he hosed up wanting to Lavoy himself, and he will be a crying bitch all by himself.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

happyhippy posted:

But when the first guy is sentenced to 10+ years for this bullshit, the rest will turn on each other to plea deal the poo poo out of it.
Fry will be on his own though, he hosed up wanting to Lavoy himself, and he will be a crying bitch all by himself.

Fry needs to be separated from the stresses of modern society and given the mental health treatment he needs, if possible.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

happyhippy posted:

Strange as it may sound I actually kind of hope the feds will go easier on Fry than the others. The dude pretty clearly had sickbrains when he was talking during the David Fry Suicide Power Hours whereas everyone else with charges from this were more knowingly aware of the potential risks their actions would net them. David by comparison seemed mostly lonely and like he just wanted to be part of something - anything bigger than himself and didn't really care what it was at that point. He didn't really share the rest of the group's mostly Evangelical Christian rhetoric. He didn't really have the common rural/agriculture/pseudo-military background the others had. Hell, he only went out there because he could sneak away while his parents were on vacation. By all accounts, most everyone else at the refuge were simply tolerant of him at best or actively hostile toward him at worst.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 12, 2016

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
Yeah i honestly hope that Fry will get the help he needs and that he won't have to spend a huge chunk of his life behind bars. Dude couldnt even fit in with militants, Fry-chan just needs friends

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Astrofig posted:

So I was at work all day yesterday and missed this entirely; is there anywhere I can see the negotiations/last dude's surrender like on youtube?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=616S8t9tek4
audio only

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

Yeah i honestly hope that Fry will get the help he needs and that he won't have to spend a huge chunk of his life behind bars. Dude couldnt even fit in with militants, Fry-chan just needs friends

I think that Fry needs help with his mental health but Fry also acted as their IT guy the whole time. I don't know how high the bar is for computer crime related charges but if anyone gets them, I have a feeling that it's going to be him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Huh, I'd only seen the back angle photo, and had just assumed he was "sniping" with $3k of high-speed gear. But from this angle, looks like he has a Saiga with iron sights and some Tapco railz?

For non-gun/mil people, this is like having the "street racer" on your crew tooling around in a stock Honda Accord with an aftermarket spoiler and $50 hubcap covers to imitate rims.

I'm willing to bet he also can't really see what he's aiming at with such a tiny gap he's shooting through with iron sights, unless the BLM guys were in a bucket truck raised in front of the bridge.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

ChlamydiaJones posted:

I think that Fry needs help with his mental health but Fry also acted as their IT guy the whole time. I don't know how high the bar is for computer crime related charges but if anyone gets them, I have a feeling that it's going to be him.

The bar is low. Really low. Unnervingly low. His statements on livestreams indicate that he probably violated them when accessing the refuge's computers.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I think being punished by having one of those "no computers" restraining orders placed on him may help out with his paranoid delusions, coupled with powerful therapeutic intervention.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

You have to think that there will be more evidence against Fry than anyone purely because of his obsessive need to document and stream everything. I really hope he gets treatment of all of the people involved in this I really hope he gets a decent deal.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
From the Atlantic:

During a press conference Thursday, however, Bretzing suggested there would be more charges to come for some of the occupiers. Once again, patience is the watchword: He described a painstaking process to go over the refuge in the coming days and weeks, and while he said the FBI would try to turn it over to the Fish and Wildlife Service to reopen as quickly as possible, there were several steps required to get there. First, law enforcement was sweeping the entire refuge to make sure no one else was left. Then a multi-agency bomb squad will go over the property. (Asked whether that was in response to any specific threat, Bretzing said only, “Several things that have happened over the last 41 days that have led us to believe this a prudent thing to do.”) After that, an FBI evidence team will go over the center, followed by a forensic team examining computers, and finally an FBI art-crime team that will assess Paiute Indian burial sites and artifacts that may have been disturbed.

I love the idea that the FBI has a team dedicated to "art crime".

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

gently caress man I am in the wrong line of work.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

I love the idea that the FBI has a team dedicated to "art crime".

It sounds funny now, but once the feds show their true socio-fascist selves art crime will be about illegal art.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Aesop Poprock posted:

So are they going to be dropping more charges on them? Can they, at this point? I don't know jack poo poo about law but if a bunch of them just get off with a fine that seems hosed.

IANAL, but I believe that the police can't hold someone for more than a certain period of time without charging them with something, and the Feds are usually very careful about laying down charges. You can continue to add charges to them as you find and collate more evidence. As you see with Bundy Sr., you can serve charges years down the line as long as you're still within the statute of limitations.

I think their primary concern was ending the standoff before possibly exacerbating it with further charges.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Re: the FBI thanking Fiore by name

It can be viewed as a "gently caress you" in the same vein as people from the south doing the "bless your heart" facade. Someone mentioned that Fiore has a shitload of debt and is trying to run for higher office (in addition to selling sexy calendars), and having the federal police thank you by name about how instrumental you were to getting sovcit morons out of a wildlife refuge might not play too hot with the people who voted for her.

A brief 2 years ago, she was "one of us" and trying to fight the man from the institution, now she's being thanked by the Feds for basically being responsible for the Cliven pick up? I don't know man, she's obviously a plant and we can't trust her.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

After a routine conceptual investigation exposed them to radioactive Fluxus they became the Art Squad! With Pete Mondrian - with the power to turn into anything with right angles - Freddie Kahlo - who can make copies of herself at will - and of course their leader Marcus "Marky" Duchamp, with the power to make anything from found objects. Together they solve art crimes and try to foil the world domination plans of the mysterious Christo.

This week, the Mystery of the Missing Monet with special celebrity guest James Franco.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Al! posted:

I think being punished by having one of those "no computers" restraining orders placed on him may help out with his paranoid delusions, coupled with powerful therapeutic intervention.

If this was a crappy 90's kids movie the judge would sentence him to five year of helping out the local park rangers at a wild life reserve, out in the wilderness well away from any computer, and being out in nature would clear his mind and he would become a better person for it. And honestly if that happened it would probably be the best thing for him.

Unfortunately he's probably just going to get jail. :(

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Al! posted:

After a routine conceptual investigation exposed them to radioactive Fluxus they became the Art Squad! With Pete Mondrian - with the power to turn into anything with right angles - Freddie Kahlo - who can make copies of herself at will - and of course their leader Marcus "Marky" Duchamp, with the power to make anything from found objects. Together they solve art crimes and try to foil the world domination plans of the mysterious Christo.

This week, the Mystery of the Missing Monet with special celebrity guest James Franco.

I would watch this TV show.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Mo_Steel posted:

I get the sense that the FBI are an actual good intelligence agency where the CIA / NSA are spying, torturing fucksticks. Is that accurate?

Yup. They got overruled on the torturing thing by the CIA/Bush administration to the extent that they would treat overseas suspect like they would American citizens, get the information, until the CIA would barge in and waterboard those same people hundred times for no particular reason. This is covered in all kinds of media from Frontline to the book American Torture, both of which I highly recommend.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

"Christo is planning on inflating a balloon around the Earth, and there's only one man capable of building a bow and arrow big enough to stop him"

"Old Man Oldenburg? But he's still in jail after we stopped him from deflating the Superbowl"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

prefect posted:

Asked whether that was in response to any specific threat, Bretzing said only, “Several things that have happened over the last 41 days that have led us to believe this a prudent thing to do.”

I love how hilariously understated officials statements can be sometimes. Also I'm assuming there probably aren't any booby traps just because I'm pretty sure the militia people would of accidentally set them off long ago if they had tried to set any up. . Still no way in hell you would want anybody to go inside the refuge without a real thorough check first.

Also I feel really sorry for whoever's stuck with the task of clean up all the poo poo buckets left behind. Poor bastards :(

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
This is beautiful. Has some nice duckbutt.

DeathSandwich posted:

David Fry Suicide Power Hours
I ... never thought of a name for what we watched, but after sitting through multiple night shifts listening to him ... that is exactly what they were. Bravo.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Al! posted:

I want to see the action figures of this on shelves now.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

shoplifter posted:

Didn't see this posted unless I accidentally skipped a page:

So how long do you think it will be before she monetizes her involvement in the incident? Two weeks?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Shageletic posted:

So how long do you think it will be before she monetizes her involvement in the incident? Two weeks?

I mean she was already trying to monetize it while it was happening by crowing on about book deals.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm willing to bet he also can't really see what he's aiming at with such a tiny gap he's shooting through with iron sights, unless the BLM guys were in a bucket truck raised in front of the bridge.

Not that I expect any level of 1337 SNYPa SkILlZ from these chucklefucks, but the more you look at the photo the sillier it gets.

Setting the rifle itself aside, he's resting his rails directly on hard concrete, which afaik is not something a pro would do, a pro would rest the rifle on a sandbag, across their backpack, or at least a wadded-up jacket or hat.

Also, he's got a firing loophole but is sticking his muzzle into it like it's a snizz on prom night. Best I know, when you have a firing loophole you're supposed to back up behind it to mimize the attention your muzzle/flash/dust draws. In a static position like this where you control the environment and had time, I'd think you'd want to open a slightly larger gap and back way up from it so heavily restrict the angles at which anyone can see you or return fire.

I can't post on TinyPic since they're blocking my IP since my server is run through Democratic Republic of Congo (seriously), but here's a mil diagram showing how to use a loophole: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/21-75/FigD-20.gif

So in short, he put way too much effort into having clever Velcro patches and awesome sunglasses, when spending $400 at a pawnshop to get an old deer rifle, and a few hours per evening reading publicly available military sniping manuals, would've massively increased his actual utility as a "sniper".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So I wrote up a pretty lengthy article detailing the timeline of events and the most important people involved in the story. It's not incredibly detailed, just a general overview of the most important points for anyone who wants a decent understanding of the situation. That said, it's 17 pages long (7422 words). Would it be untoward to just put it in a post here? Should I host it somewhere else?

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Also, he's got a firing loophole but is sticking his muzzle into it like it's a snizz on prom night. Best I know, when you have a firing loophole you're supposed to back up behind it to mimize the attention your muzzle/flash/dust draws. In a static position like this where you control the environment and had time, I'd think you'd want to open a slightly larger gap and back way up from it so heavily restrict the angles at which anyone can see you or return fire.

I can't post on TinyPic since they're blocking my IP since my server is run through Democratic Republic of Congo (seriously), but here's a mil diagram showing how to use a loophole: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/21-75/FigD-20.gif

This actually reminds me of a funny story from an airsoft game. We were playing in a squad that included Hunter, an Alaska National Guard veteran. After we successfully captured a town, Hunter tried to get the squad to rally up. Everyone listened except a teenager in a cheap (possibly homemade) ghillie suit and a canvas-wrapped sniper rifle, who was standing inside a tower with half his rifle sticking out through the window. "I'M SNIPING!"

Hunter pointed out that he was an idiot and everyone could see him, ghillie suit or not. Every time I see these guys cosplaying war at stuff like the Bundy standoff or Malheur occupation, I end up being reminded of dumb kids playing airsoft.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 12, 2016

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

chitoryu12 posted:

So I wrote up a pretty lengthy article detailing the timeline of events and the most important people involved in the story. It's not incredibly detailed, just a general overview of the most important points for anyone who wants a decent understanding of the situation. That said, it's 17 pages long (7422 words). Would it be untoward to just put it in a post here? Should I host it somewhere else?

Host it remotely and ask the OP to put it in the OP.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

skaboomizzy posted:

Serious question: how do you defend these assholes in court?

They've already proven that they don't think Constitutional law applies to them, a bunch of them are probably on the SovCit side of legal theory. What happens to them when they fire their fourth appointed public defender because he/she won't recite their magic legal spells to get them off the hook?

I don't know about the rest of them but for all of the "land rights" people (which I assume includes the Bundy's) their whole argument basically rests on not recognizing that the federal government is legally allowed by the constitution to own land. This is despite court rulings that say otherwise (including a supreme court ruling as well I believe).

So basically, they don't really have an argument unless they somehow get it all the way up to the Supreme Court again and it decides to go against a past ruling. It's the same exact stuff they've tried in the past and gotten shot down on, but it's the only real argument they have it seems like to me.

I guess they might also go for the "we were peacefully protesting we shouldn't be held in this conspiracy charge" and maybe it'll just come down to fighting that and not pushing the land rights agenda, but either way I don't think they have much of a case. They clearly did illegal things that they claimed weren't illegal and got themselves on camera doing and saying it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The whole movement's defense is pretty much "the government is illegal so crimes don't exist"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

All right here's my entire article in a Google Doc. Let me know if you see any mistakes or think I missed anything important!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Al! posted:

And in a decade or so he can have a real solid meet-cute with Angelina Jolie.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

And in a decade or so he can have a real solid meet-cute with Angelina Jolie.

He could easily be the weirdo tech guy on CSI: Bumfuck

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

If this was a crappy 90's kids movie the judge would sentence him to five year of helping out the local park rangers at a wild life reserve, out in the wilderness well away from any computer, and being out in nature would clear his mind and he would become a better person for it. And honestly if that happened it would probably be the best thing for him.

Unfortunately he's probably just going to get jail. :(

If I judge sentenced Fry to work with me, I would shoot the judge.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Al! posted:

"Christo is planning on inflating a balloon around the Earth, and there's only one man capable of building a bow and arrow big enough to stop him"

"Old Man Oldenburg? But he's still in jail after we stopped him from deflating the Superbowl"

Quick, someone get Shonda Rhimes on the phone.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Banning Frylo Ren from computers is just the plot of Hackers which I like. Then I look at Fry and realize that he looks like Phreak from that movie and I lose all interest.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Well, from my conservative (insane) acquaintances, I'm learning that it's unfair that Cliven Bundy was arrested for owing under a million dollars to the government, but Al Sharpton is allowed to walk free despite owing $4.5M.

Yes, Bundy was arrested over the money, that's definitely the issue.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

No Butt Stuff posted:

Well, from my conservative (insane) acquaintances, I'm learning that it's unfair that Cliven Bundy was arrested for owing under a million dollars to the government, but Al Sharpton is allowed to walk free despite owing $4.5M.

Yes, Bundy was arrested over the money, that's definitely the issue.

Michele Fiore also owes to the tune of $1 million, something I found when researching her for my article on the occupation. She blamed it on her ex-husband being a lovely accountant and a former employee embezzling and claiming false debts to cover it up. She actually got booted out of her legislature position....for less than 24 hours before they reinstated her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013
ASK ME WHAT I DID TO KEEP MY STAR AFTER EDITING OTHER PEOPLES POSTS

8============D
Aaaargh god dammit I just thought of an awesome burn that would have been entirely approrpiate when they were getting rolled by the feds.

Sic Transit Gloria Bundy.

• Locked thread