Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You probably think they would have taken what we got in season 1 and compressed it tighter for a 10 episode season, but more likely they would have ended up in the same situation with 8 episodes of content stretched to fit 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm gonna repeat it for the billionth time: the issue is not the episode count. Ending it at 10 would have just made them compress the poo poo they explored in the back three into earlier episodes because the overall story wasn't done yet, even if the plotting to continue the show seemed flimsy.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Episode count isn't inherently the issue, no. There are weird pacing issues even in Defenders which was much shorter.

But a short episode count might help some of these showrunners pace sit out properly.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

esperterra posted:

Episode count isn't inherently the issue, no. There are weird pacing issues even in Defenders which was much shorter.

The weird pacing issues being that it included Danny loving Rand who is an utter black hole of plot and charisma.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

While Danny is a huge issue in Defenders, he isn't the only issue. Fight choreography, pacing, dialogue are all really bad.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The fight choreography isn’t great. Though the guy ITT saying it wasn’t as good as Drunken Master was perhaps being unfair comparing an untrained actor in a tv show to one of the greatest martial arts movies of all time.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Aphrodite posted:

You probably think they would have taken what we got in season 1 and compressed it tighter for a 10 episode season, but more likely they would have ended up in the same situation with 8 episodes of content stretched to fit 10.

Hmm...so we tell them to write 13 and then at the 11th hour we make them cut it to 8!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

marktheando posted:

The fight choreography isn’t great. Though the guy ITT saying it wasn’t as good as Drunken Master was perhaps being unfair comparing an untrained actor in a tv show to one of the greatest martial arts movies of all time.

He was probably talking about the guy who used drunk kung fu in the Iron Fist show.

Unless that was :thejoke:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Crossposting from Wakanda Negrotown:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

He was probably talking about the guy who used drunk kung fu in the Iron Fist show.

Unless that was :thejoke:

Yeah that was the comparison they were making. Saying a drunken boxing scene isn’t as good as the one in Drunken Master, well no poo poo of course it isn’t.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Saint Freak posted:

Hmm...so we tell them to write 13 and then at the 11th hour we make them cut it to 8!

Tbh this is how I've felt for a while this sort of thing should work.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Habibi posted:

Tbh this is how I've felt for a while this sort of thing should work.

Yeah, you'd think you might have learned your lessons about how well hurrying works, thanks to Iron Fist, but apparently not.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, you'd think you might have learned your lessons about how well hurrying works, thanks to Iron Fist, but apparently not.

Uh, okay - more in the sense of writing for X episodes and then trimming down by 20%.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

That sounds like it’d be impossible to relax and watch drunk b

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Habibi posted:

Uh, okay - more in the sense of writing for X episodes and then trimming down by 20%.

Yeah, but that wasn't what was originally said. The term 11th hour was used. And almost every major issue with Iron Fist could have been solved with more production time.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Jessica Jones S2 is out :toot:

E1

Very much enjoyed the first episode, I'm really glad that the feminist message hasn't disappeared between seasons. I don't expect them to live up to the depth of Kilgrave but I'm interested to see where they take the story of Jessica's origin

Malcolm is such a bro :3:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

E1: That super-speed effect is just hilariously silly.

Dialogue's still kinda rough but I'm used to that from this show, excited for the rest.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
E2

I want to be invited to one of Jerri Hogarth's super crazy drug parties :allears:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rarity posted:

E2

I want to be invited to one of Jerri Hogarth's super crazy drug parties :allears:

What a weird loving scene that was

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
E2

drat, they even managed to get all #TimesUp on this thing even though they finished filming before the Weinstein allegations even came out. This show is so on point.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

E3

Let me just put this severed, burned human head in my handbag for later identification!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
E3

A big theme of last season was how Simpson forcing his protection on Jess and Trish was controlling and misogynistic so can we please acknowledge that Jess doing it to Trish too is the exact same thing?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rarity posted:

E3

A big theme of last season was how Simpson forcing his protection on Jess and Trish was controlling and misogynistic so can we please acknowledge that Jess doing it to Trish too is the exact same thing?

They don't even go a full episode without confronting how lovely it was for Jessica to do that, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Skippy McPants posted:

They don't even go a full episode without confronting how lovely it was for Jessica to do that, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Yeah, I got there :)

E4

This season lacks the horror of Kilgrave's mind rape but now that the core conflict's becoming clear I like the conceit of Jessica having to directly confront the darkest parts of herself

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just finished Episode 4 and I don't really see how anyone could make the case based on only five that this season is too slow. Sure, it's not some propulsive, tightly paced thriller, but it still feels pretty deliberate and is moving at a decent clip anyway.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Agreed. I don't know if people are expecting a big DD style fist fight every ten minutes or what, but four episodes in and so far the personal drama is enough to keep me interested.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
E5

Trish, no. The drugs don't work they just make you worse :(

E6

I swear to God if the octopus means this is loving Hydra I will... groan in an unreasonably loud manner

Dat ending :aaaaa:

Rarity fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 8, 2018

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Ep 11
Oh poo poo! Guess who's back!
:dance:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
E9

loving hell Trish :stare:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Episode 8:

Yo, gently caress Trish. Can't believe she would pressure Malcolm to use the inhaler.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Anyone who calls this series boring is a lunatic.

I'm not quite done yet, but if there's anything this series fails at sure as poo poo isn't raising the stakes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

E10, but they mention it in 8 too I think:

Surprised, with all the dancing around referencing the movies other Marvel shows have done, that they seem to be ditching that by directly mentioning the Raft, as well as Oscar's son's Cap action figure.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

They referenced "the incident" in earlier series, meaning the attack on NY that took place in Avengers. Vague allusions are a-okay, they just avoid any direct crossover.

Edit: Can't say I blame them, keeping Netflix, the MCU, and Agents of Shield separate. Fans get kinda crazy about continuity and leaving enough room for each property to breathe and develop without being crowed by the others is a good thing.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 8, 2018

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

E1: the It's Patsy bit at the start of the episode was great.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok I've finished up the season and I'll probably get more coherent thoughts later but here's my first impressions:

The set-up for the first half of the season was solid but then it lost its way after the reveal that Alyssa was Jessica's mom. I knew that it could never have the visceral, repulsive appeal of S1 without Kilgrave but the other thing I loved about S1 was the strong depth of its thematical undercurrents. That really wasn't on display this season. As well I thought everyone's motivations were all over the place which was understandable for Jess but not so much for everyone else. The way Karl was presented flipped from well-meaning good guy to controlling dick to absolute monster and back at the drop of a hat. And Pryce was as unnecessary and disconnected to the plot as everyone said Simpson was in S1.

Things I did like: Jeri's subplot, the Kilgrave episode, Malcolm's personal growth, teasing Hellcat, Jess in general as a character still really speaks to me, how downbeat the ending was.

All in all, I still love this show and love these characters but I can't say this was anything more than 'all right'

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I finished it and I really don't like the new status quo, to the point where I can't really say I'm all that excited for a potential third season. Malcolm is great but putting him in an adversarial role seems like a huuuuge loving misstep. Leaving Jessica with pretty much no one (besides her boyfriend) is the kind of setup that sounds alright, until you realize how good the supporting cast is and how huge a void will be left by not giving Jessica anyone to interact with. The ending, especially Malcolm leaving, seems kind of like a retread of the ending of DD s2, which worked fine because I didn't care nearly as much about Nelson and Murdock as I do about Alias. I dunno, the end of Season 1, with Malcolm answering the phone for a reluctant Jessica, managed to be both somber and also kind of hopeful. Here, I just see the ending as everyone being mad at each other, and while it's downbeat, sure, it's not melancholy in an interesting way. I don't really want to see these conflicts play out.

Overall, I guess I liked it though. Not as strong as the first season, though maybe a bit more consistent even if it had some sillier elements. With some space I might be more positive, I just don't like this ending very much at all.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Man I forgot how great the intro for this show was

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
E2

RIP Simpson, u were too beautiful for this world~

also can someone tell me if this interminable Hogarth poo poo is going anywhere, or can I fast forward all her scenes as per usual

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
E1
I really hope MakeupFX IGH Super Dude isn't the big bad this season. At least the Purple Man, against all odds, wasn't visually embarrassing all season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
E10
This prison guard who's probably going to die soon over this basically going completely insane over Jessica's mom refusing to eat meat is ridiculous.

Also E1
I will be amused for a long while that all these events were kickstarted by a guy named "The Whizzer"