Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Baronjutter posted:

I wish we had a big list of like 20 traditions trees to pick from when making our country like when setting up a eu4 custom country. I have no intention of ever enduring the federation mechnics in this game, so the whole diplomacy tree is almost entirely useless. There's a few other picks in other trees which are absolutely useless as well, like the harmony unrest reduction or private colony ships. Would so love to set up my own custom trees that actually apply to my space country.

This must be in the pipeline - it's such an easy way to add more content and differentiate playthroughs. I would be surprised if we don't see the current number of tradition trees grow by a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Bold Robot posted:

This must be in the pipeline - it's such an easy way to add more content and differentiate playthroughs. I would be surprised if we don't see the current number of tradition trees grow by a lot.

I would like to see some more differentiated trees. There's a lot of good stuff to steal on the Steam Workshop, some of it will do crazy stuff like letting you blow up planets.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

I don't think that should work :thunk:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What shouldn't work?

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

OwlFancier posted:

What shouldn't work?

From Food Surplus on cyborgs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh, do they not eat food?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mechanical Ape posted:

Now that the galaxy's filled and nobody seems to need influence anymore, AI empires are changing their governments like underwear.

Every time I open the map, the [Whatever] Empire has changed to the [Whatever] Hierarchy or the Blessed [Whatever] Kingdom. Don't do that too much, guys, you'll grow hair on your palms/tentacles/whatever.

I wish the player got a notification when that happened. It's honestly more interesting to me than who rivaled who.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Bold Robot posted:

I certainly hope so. It is objectively bad that every single empire winds up getting all eight trees, and a few minor swaps does not fix that. Welp, made too much unity, now my pacifist empire needs to take DOMINATION, CONQUEST, and DESTRUCTION trees.

There should be a bunch more trees, as well as 'double down' trees, so I can go Discovery, Discovery II, Discovery III, Harmony, Harmony II for my trees or whatever.

Game needs a fix for unity being utterly useless once you fill out your trees too. That is Wrong and Bad.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fintilgin posted:

I certainly hope so. It is objectively bad that every single empire winds up getting all eight trees, and a few minor swaps does not fix that. Welp, made too much unity, now my pacifist empire needs to take DOMINATION, CONQUEST, and DESTRUCTION trees.

There should be a bunch more trees, as well as 'double down' trees, so I can go Discovery, Discovery II, Discovery III, Harmony, Harmony II for my trees or whatever.

Game needs a fix for unity being utterly useless once you fill out your trees too. That is Wrong and Bad.

Man my pacifist isolationist empire really wants to build a dyson sphere, which isn't a technological hurdle it's an ideological one? Better invest in domination and federation stuff so I can build this mega structure?
I like what they're shooting for with unity but yeah, you always end up with all the trees filled out. I much prefer the eu4 system where you pick from a big list of trees which also unlock country-specific stuff. Some sort of blend of the two systems would be nice.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

OwlFancier posted:

Oh, do they not eat food?

Nope, they have an energy upkeep like the robutts do in Assimilator empires.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Isn't that what's supposed to happen? The entire reason those trees change in the first place is that the Adaptability and Purity trees are for non-diplomatic civs, and Diplomacy/Domination are for diplomatic civs. Keeping the traditions from one when changing to the other doesn't seem to make any sense?

I mean yeah maybe. I was more just hopeful that I would be able to hang on to Adaptability because that's the way the wiki is written (though I see now there was actually a note somewhere that said it would switch back), and also Adaptability is just a much, much, better tree.

From a 'role play' point of view you can easily look at it both ways; I was an Inward Perfectionist empire, then I stopped being one because I wanted to become more militaristic, not more diplomatic. But of course it would be equally plausible for someone else to do the other swap, and then you would want the Diplomatic tree.

A good solution would be probably be the EU4 style event for when you change tags, where it gives you an explicit choice as to whether you adopt the new traditions or retain your old ones. Just having more trees would be good too.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
What are some of the more powerful trait/civic/ethic/etc builds right now? I’ve been having a lot of fun with a Fanatic Authoritarian build that’s set up for maximum mineral production, but I’m wondering what is considered really top-tier at the moment.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fintilgin posted:

Tradition trees have the problem that always happens when you only have one tier of a thing. You get the stuff you care about first, and since nothing new becomes available you end up less and less excited about your available options as the game goes on. BE's virtues took a neat approach with their synergy bonuses, but just having trees you can't buy until you've completed other trees or ascensions would work. Anything so that when you've bought all the stuff you wanted a bunch of new stuff has becomes available.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 14, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I conquered some slavers for their own good so that I could gene mod their decadence out of them and release them. I built up their planets nicely so they'd be self sufficient and happy. I check back on them later and find all my vassals I released are failed states. All sitting at 0% happiness due to starvation. +2 food tiles sitting undeveloped because they demolished my farms and paradise domes. I gave them 2000 energy, minerals, and food, which cheered them up for a while but they don't spend anything to develop their food tiles and prevent starvation. Why is the AI so so bad at tile management?

You stupid god drat bastards stop starving, develop your tiles properly. This is every 1-planet vassal I've released too.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 14, 2017

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I changed from 1.8.1 beta back to the latest but couldn't switch it back because it the beta isn't in the drop down anymore. Will this screw up my 1.8.1 beta saved game?

e: nevermind I am dumb

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 14, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

I mean yeah maybe. I was more just hopeful that I would be able to hang on to Adaptability because that's the way the wiki is written (though I see now there was actually a note somewhere that said it would switch back), and also Adaptability is just a much, much, better tree.

From a 'role play' point of view you can easily look at it both ways; I was an Inward Perfectionist empire, then I stopped being one because I wanted to become more militaristic, not more diplomatic. But of course it would be equally plausible for someone else to do the other swap, and then you would want the Diplomatic tree.

A good solution would be probably be the EU4 style event for when you change tags, where it gives you an explicit choice as to whether you adopt the new traditions or retain your old ones. Just having more trees would be good too.

Really, the problem is that Diplomatic is kind of crappy and extremely situational, so you lost out on an extremely good tree and got it replaced by a tree that is almost no value to you.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Playstation 4 posted:

I don't think that should work :thunk:

Last game I played, my robots were somehow able to reverse engineer psionic shields from an AI ship. I don't think that should work either, but I'm just imagining them keeping psionic races' brains in goo to power shields

Grocer Goodwill
Jul 17, 2003

Not just one kind of bread, but a whole variety.
I just reinstalled Stellaris after a long time, and either the game has gotten significantly harder since I last played, or I have gotten significantly worse, because even with no advanced starts and low AI aggression, I keep getting completely rolled by the AI. I can't figure out how to match the AI in terms of tech level or fleet size. I've played about three games so far, and on my best attempt I lasted about 150 years before I got wiped out. Am I doing tech wrong? Are you supposed to spam science ships for research assist, or something?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Grocer Goodwill posted:

I just reinstalled Stellaris after a long time, and either the game has gotten significantly harder since I last played, or I have gotten significantly worse, because even with no advanced starts and low AI aggression, I keep getting completely rolled by the AI. I can't figure out how to match the AI in terms of tech level or fleet size. I've played about three games so far, and on my best attempt I lasted about 150 years before I got wiped out. Am I doing tech wrong? Are you supposed to spam science ships for research assist, or something?

Tech up to cruisers. After that minerals (and keeping energy above zero) is more important.

Grocer Goodwill
Jul 17, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Tech up to cruisers. After that minerals (and keeping energy above zero) is more important.

How do you tech up to anything? You're still at the mercy of the random research options, as far as I can tell. The last game I played I was wiped out by a fleet of about a dozen cruisers while I was still in the middle of researching Spaceports IV.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Grocer Goodwill posted:

How do you tech up to anything? You're still at the mercy of the random research options, as far as I can tell. The last game I played I was wiped out by a fleet of about a dozen cruisers while I was still in the middle of researching Spaceports IV.

Either use options that increase the number of tech alternatives you get or accept the randomness and try to roll with it. Spaceport X techs are weighted pretty heavily.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Getting a scientist with the Voidcraft skill also helps.

Anyway, I finally had Signal Horizon pop. no real spoilers, since I haven't really completed the event chains yet...but man, it really makes the game's whole world feel so goddamn bleak.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Really, the problem is that Diplomatic is kind of crappy and extremely situational, so you lost out on an extremely good tree and got it replaced by a tree that is almost no value to you.

See you say that but while the actual picks are fairly crap, the finisher is spectacular, +50 maximum relations with all empires via trust is huge, it enormously improves your ability to secure deals with other empires and allows stable relations with people who would otherwise be pushed into negatives with you.

If that was attached to any other tree I'd call it overpowered because it's enormously effective if you're trying to secure alliances with people.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
For what it's worth, the Expanded Stellaris Traditions mod offers 19 new choices that seem to be decently balanced - perhaps a little weaker on average than the vanilla traditions. Good for developing your empire thematically.

It even has some nice alternate effects in traditions for bonuses to slaves or robots, in the case that your policies don't allow them.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 14, 2017

Grocer Goodwill
Jul 17, 2003

Grocer Goodwill posted:

See, this is what I'm talking about. I'm the little blue splotch in the corner. Each of these AI civs has 5 or 6 colonies, and has a relative power listed as "superior". Again, this is on normal difficulty with no advanced starts. Do I need to spam colonies? I thought that was a severe penalty to research, but maybe that's changed. I assume I'm just doing something obviously dumb, but I can't figure out what. Hopefully it's visible in the screen shot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Grocer Goodwill posted:

See, this is what I'm talking about. I'm the little blue splotch in the corner. Each of these AI civs has 5 or 6 colonies, and has a relative power listed as "superior". Again, this is on normal difficulty with no advanced starts. Do I need to spam colonies? I thought that was a severe penalty to research, but maybe that's changed. I assume I'm just doing something obviously dumb, but I can't figure out what. Hopefully it's visible in the screen shot.

Yeah, the 1.8 AI seems to be extremely aggressive with their colonies. You can start a non-Ironman game press ~ and 'observe' to watch how they play (and 'play X' with the empire number to see what they're doing), but the short version is that they'll pop a colony out about every five years until they hit eight and then they'll slow down to about one every ten years. In fact from what I saw the Advanced Starts obey this rule too, and will actually fart around until the other AIs have caught up with them. Their behavior might change a little if they're near a player since I think they build up their fleet more, but if you want to keep pace with the AI you do want to be aware of their schedule and stay within a couple colonies of their size.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Strudel Man posted:

For what it's worth, the Expanded Stellaris Traditions mod offers 19 new choices that seem to be decently balanced - perhaps a little weaker on average than the vanilla traditions. Good for developing your empire thematically.

It even has some nice alternate effects in traditions for bonuses to slaves or robots, in the case that your policies don't allow them.

This looks cool, I like that it's apparently very mild and balanced. So many mods that I'm interested in end up doing 99 things reasonably but always have some one weird over-powered thing, the oblivion gate that ruins the mod. The guy says it's not quite updated to 1.8 how he'd like so I'm going to keep an eye on it.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So, when all is said and done, is the game harder or easier with less habitable planets? I am thinking that it probably ends up being harder over all, since the less planets you have the harder it is to build up and prepare for the late game crisis?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So, when all is said and done, is the game harder or easier with less habitable planets? I am thinking that it probably ends up being harder over all, since the less planets you have the harder it is to build up and prepare for the late game crisis?

It's easier against other powers, harder against FE's and crisis. The AI is poo poo at tile management and a human with a 4-5 planet empire is going to do much better than the AI with only 4-5 planets. The problem of course is that the crisis will gently caress you over, which is why you turn them down to a matching .25.

Grocer Goodwill
Jul 17, 2003

Okay, I think I've figured out what the problem is. This "fanatic purifiers" thing is new since I last played, and, uh... it sucks. Their ships are 15% cheaper, 33% stronger, and their capacity is 33% larger? Going back over my last few games, it was always one of these that got me. Some of the games had two of them. Are they guaranteed to appear? Do you need a mod to turn them off?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Grocer Goodwill posted:

Okay, I think I've figured out what the problem is. This "fanatic purifiers" thing is new since I last played, and, uh... it sucks. Their ships are 15% cheaper, 33% stronger, and their capacity is 33% larger? Going back over my last few games, it was always one of these that got me. Some of the games had two of them. Are they guaranteed to appear? Do you need a mod to turn them off?

They're a government type that any generated militarist or spritualist xenophobes can spawn with, so no, you can't really turn them off. There's hive mind and robot equivalents as well. If you're getting ganked by purifiers, try to find another species as soon as you spot a purifier empire close by - they'll be more receptive to a defensive pact due to threat, and the purifiers will be less likely to come after you as a result.

EDIT: VVV That too. Don't think of Purifier neighbors as bad guys on your doorstep, think of them as guilt-free landgrab opportunities :black101:

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 14, 2017

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Technically speaking if you make your own empires and force them to spawn instead of random, fanatic purifiers won't appear.

Nobody cares if you commit war crimes against fanatic purifiers.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Grocer Goodwill posted:

It's 32 years in and you're sitting at +13 minerals/month so yes, you're probably doing something wrong causing you to fall behind enormously.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Each colony is only a 10% increase to tech cost. If you consider that even an average colony will get you ~10 of each research through labs alone, you should clearly be taking at least up to your core sector limit of colonies.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

IAmTheRad posted:

Technically speaking if you make your own empires and force them to spawn instead of random, fanatic purifiers won't appear.

Nobody cares if you commit war crimes against fanatic purifiers.

Not exactly. When my robo-empire genocided two planets full of fanatical purifiers, the entire galaxy reacted with shock and horror.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Libluini posted:

Not exactly. When my robo-empire genocided two planets full of fanatical purifiers, the entire galaxy reacted with shock and horror.

Your mistake was not inviting them along.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

OwlFancier posted:

See you say that but while the actual picks are fairly crap, the finisher is spectacular, +50 maximum relations with all empires via trust is huge, it enormously improves your ability to secure deals with other empires and allows stable relations with people who would otherwise be pushed into negatives with you.

If that was attached to any other tree I'd call it overpowered because it's enormously effective if you're trying to secure alliances with people.

The problem is that the deals and alliances you're getting from AI empires are basically worthless. You can totally ignore them and just go fine, unless maybe if you're playing on Insane, then some NAPs and a defense pact would be good, but those were never hard to get in the first place.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Libluini posted:

That's because you purged filthy organics. I just integrate them into my society perfectly. Can't kill when you get injected with nanomachines to make you one of the collective.

Being led around by giant orbs.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
In my current game I took the Fanatical Purifiers as a vassal and then integrated them after they got their rear end kicked by their FE neighbours. Hope they like the Bio-Paradises!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Silvergun1000 posted:

What are some of the more powerful trait/civic/ethic/etc builds right now? I’ve been having a lot of fun with a Fanatic Authoritarian build that’s set up for maximum mineral production, but I’m wondering what is considered really top-tier at the moment.

As any race your goals are the same:

Maximise minerals(Minerals turn into everything else), maximise energy(To pay for everything else), maximise pop growth(To work those tiles), maximise happy(For the resource boost). Also always build to your fleet capacity or beyond and build spaceports to increase that.

Industrious is beyond critical. After that, it depends. Thrifty? Communal? Rapid Breeders? Conservationist? All have their place. Easy enough to take Deviants+Sedentary for the extra points.

Simple Industrious+Mining Guilds is 25% extra minerals at a time where every mineral is critical.

Inwards Perfection is monstrous, as you'd expect given the disadvantages in declaring wars. An Agarian Idyll Adaptability Farm is Food, Minerals, and Unity in one building, is affected by happy and other modifiers, and it can be spammed.

Harmony Opener(25% growth)+Inwards(25% growth)+Rapid Breeders(20% growth)+70% pop growth before other modifiers like the Gene Clinic(10% growth for the planet) or Food Surplus.

Prosperity opener is probably the first pick without much question. Cheaper colony ships, cheaper spaceports, cheaper ships.

You're going to use Social Welfare/Utopian eventually; pay minerals to boost all other production via happy. It's also why you'll want the Paradise Dome.

• Locked thread