Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Soul Glo posted:

No way Nintendo gives up E3. They'll do a presentation, it may just be different than usual or even purely focused on NA releases and details on stuff already announced, saving new announcements for their specialized Directs.

They would lose any and all talk in the press if they noshowed E3, and that can't be something they'd be fine with.

They'll definitely be there, it just sounds like instead of a traditional Big 3 conference they'll do smaller ones, not open to the public, for distributors and press, and then do something for the general public (most likely a bigger Direct).

Plus they've already said they'll have games playable, so presumably they'll have a presence on the floor.

Still feels like they're just accepting that they'll get steamrolled by coverage of the new consoles and just want to do their own thing instead of going up against them directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Soul Glo posted:

No way Nintendo gives up E3. They'll do a presentation, it may just be different than usual or even purely focused on NA releases and details on stuff already announced, saving new announcements for their specialized Directs.

They would lose any and all talk in the press if they noshowed E3, and that can't be something they'd be fine with.

I think they said they're still going to be there show floor wise and still have presentations, but no big hour and a half presentation where most of the comments on liveblogs from the press attending are asking if it's over or snarking over something that doesn't go over well or totally fail on stage.

The biggest thing is that we won't have a big rear end thread growing faster than you can keep up with. So if that was the favorite part of E3 to anybody I'm sorry.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I think they said they're still going to be there show floor wise and still have presentations, but no big hour and a half presentation where most of the comments from the press attending are asking if it's over or snarking over something that doesn't go over well or totally fail on stage.

Yeah, I'm sure they'll have a floor presence with small presentations, but I just can't believe they wouldn't shove everybody in the theater and show them something for at least 45 minutes. What COULD be cool is if it's just Reggie up on the stage introducing a pre-recorded Direct that simultaneously launches on Miiverse. Kinda like Konami's and Xbox's conferences mixed (doesn't the Microsoft one get broadcasted live on Xbox Live?).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I'd be very okay with an hour and a half long Nintendo Direct, maybe split into three main parts so they can bring out a different guy in the theater to introduce each section for the live audience. I could do without the ads and announcers on the usual streaming sites, so no loss there.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
They just put up the translated version of the briefing:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130425/index.html

E3 stuff is on page 4.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Crowbear posted:

They just put up the translated version of the briefing:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130425/index.html

E3 stuff is on page 4.

Wow, that really does seem like there won't be a big conference event for people to watch online. That kinda bums me out. I really like watching those and seeing all sorts of cool new stuff at once.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Crowbear posted:

Other random thing: in Japan the Wii U is getting compatibilty with Suica(??) cards that they use for trains or something. I think that means you'll be able to pay for stuff using NFC?
That's pretty cool. Suica cards are like prepaid cards you use on trains; you just put your wallet on the scanner and it goes beep and you're good to go. Some convenience stores and vending machines use them too and it's a lot nicer than fumbling with coins and quicker than credit cards.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Soul Glo posted:

Wow, that really does seem like there won't be a big conference event for people to watch online. That kinda bums me out. I really like watching those and seeing all sorts of cool new stuff at once.

It basically sounds like they've realised no-one cares about the financial stuff in E3 presentations and that people in non-US regions would be more interested in stuff relevant to their region. So it will likely be like a normal Direct with Iwata doing the first half then handing over to the regional guys to do separate US/Japan/Europe stuff.

Shelf Adventure posted:

That's pretty cool. Suica cards are like prepaid cards you use on trains; you just put your wallet on the scanner and it goes beep and you're good to go. Some convenience stores and vending machines use them too and it's a lot nicer than fumbling with coins and quicker than credit cards.

London has them too as Oyster cards, basically considered the greatest thing to ever happen to public transport. If I could just load up a card and scan it on the gamepad to add funds that would make me happy.

Cuboidal 64
Sep 29, 2010

Green dick is better than blue dick

Soul Glo posted:

I'm thinking they might instead have a Nintendo Direct each night of E3. Sure MS and Sony'll have big showings, but they can still stay in the public mind. Hell, what if they decided to even further and say "And you can download demos for these games in the eShop right now!"

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Cuboidal 64 posted:

I'm thinking they might instead have a Nintendo Direct each night of E3. Sure MS and Sony'll have big showings, but they can still stay in the public mind. Hell, what if they decided to even further and say "And you can download demos for these games in the eShop right now!"

That would be amazing to be honest. It'd certainly hype games and the Wii U more than previous efforts.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

That would be amazing to be honest. It'd certainly hype games and the Wii U more than previous efforts.

Yes, it would hype the Wii U to Wii U owners. Their problem is more the non Wii U owners. It's not like they need to convince Nintendo fans to buy the new Mario game.

njsykora posted:

It basically sounds like they've realised no-one cares about the financial stuff in E3 presentations and that people in non-US regions would be more interested in stuff relevant to their region. So it will likely be like a normal Direct with Iwata doing the first half then handing over to the regional guys to do separate US/Japan/Europe stuff.

So skip the financial stuff and just show games instead of cancelling the whole conference?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

"Talk in the press" from E3 means jack poo poo. It always has. Nintendo has been pretty much the only major player to realize that which is why their presentations were always the "boring" ones (ie, intended for business rather than working people up into a froth).

I am a bit disappointed that they're dropping the dog and pony show, though. They might not have contributed as much to the yearly E3 Stupidity but where would we be without Ravi Drums?

Ah well, I'm sure both Sony and Microsoft will be stepping up their game this year to give us some truly epic madness.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Crowbear posted:

Yes, it would hype the Wii U to Wii U owners. Their problem is more the non Wii U owners. It's not like they need to convince Nintendo fans to buy the new Mario game.

Anecdotal, but there are several friends that I can think of who have been on the fence still about getting a Wii U that I would invite over to play an E3 demo of an upcoming game. As well as word of mouth on the internet, I always see complaints from spergs about gaming journos not explaining or not showing the same enthusiasm as someone who would be interested in a particular game. There's a reason those Club Nintendo surveys ask if you recommend a game you bought to someone.

Then you have the Miiverse. The 3DS will get it who knows when, but if it's easy to move around communities between the Wii U and 3DS like it is with regions, I'd expect some sort of dialogue to occur between Nintendo fans who don't have one or the other.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Crowbear posted:

So skip the financial stuff and just show games instead of cancelling the whole conference?

Except those giant conferences are intended for investors and distributors as well (as mentioned in the financial briefing that was posted) so leaving that stuff out demands then an additional thing for investors. Better to split the 3 groups up outright and if you can cut down on costs in the process then why not.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

njsykora posted:

people in non-US regions would be more interested in stuff relevant to their region.

People in the West still get excited for Tokyo Game Show and its not like the Japanese ignore E3 or GamesCom. I read a ton of Japanese news blogs and every year without fail they have huge articles and discussion pages about the stuff that happens at E3, because even if the event isn't aimed at them a lot of the games will still likely come to their shores so they get an early look at what they might be. Same thing with TGS, although lately we're getting less and less of those games.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Policenaut posted:

People in the West still get excited for Tokyo Game Show and its not like the Japanese ignore E3 or GamesCom. I read a ton of Japanese news blogs and every year without fail they have huge articles and discussion pages about the stuff that happens at E3, because even if the event isn't aimed at them a lot of the games will still likely come to their shores so they get an early look at what they might be. Same thing with TGS, although lately we're getting less and less of those games.

TGS has kinda fallen off over the years. It isn't as big as it used to be, especially compared to E3 now.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I can see it now an automatic F minus from Geoff Keighley.

You act like that wasn't gonna be the case anyway. I fuckin' loved how ridiculous last year was...

Keighley: Yeah i'm checking off the EA conference checklist on MY SAMSUNG SUPER TABLET GALAXY S FORCE 3 QUATRO BY SAMSUNG and they showed a Madden just like every other year and that's what they needed to do and OMG PERFECT SHOWING EA!

Reggie: Yeah so we brought a special demo with us. Platinum is making this game called Wonderful 101 and here's a good look at it for the first time ever exclusive to your show.
Keighley: Something interesting? I can't let this go on without talking the gently caress over it. Also F minus.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
I agree that the lack of big conference will make any news they deliver seem smaller in the general public and probably in the general gaming community. While the prospect of having Smash Bros. revealed on a Nintendo Direct instead of a press-only event where the recording equipment has to be hidden and therefore crappy is good, I think last year showed how having multiple presentations just stretches things too thin. They had a Direct, their presser (where they said they would only talk about Wii U but spent 15 minutes "not talking" about the 3DS), their no-video press-only event, and their 3DS event, not to mention the investor briefing. They announced Miiverse, Nintendo Land, a handful of 3DS titles. That could've easily been covered in a single presser and made much more of a bang, and maybe when you don't have to manage 5 events in a week, you might not forget to announce Fire Emblem is coming to the West.

I'm all for more focused information, and to be fair a lot of the redundancy/demos/whatever being eliminated would help reduce the above problem. But I think they're going to lose a bit of grandeur if it's just another Nintendo Direct, another press thing, and another stockholder thing -- just like we get all year. If they want to grow their market, they have to make themselves stand out at E3, not just be an also-ran like MadCatz with a fanclub video newsletter.

Also, it's not possible to register only "miiverse.nintendo.net" without also registering "nintendo.net", right? The lack of landing page or redirect on the latter is a bit baffling.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

PonchAxis posted:

TGS has kinda fallen off over the years. It isn't as big as it used to be, especially compared to E3 now.

The problem with TGS in recent years is the shift over to portable, mobile, and social gaming which kind of puts a damper on the whole "this cool thing could come to the West" angle that a lot of people like. It's hard to get excited when half the games are like "Hey check it out we made the same social game as everyone else but this one's about Ninja Gaiden cool huh?!"

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Now that Miiverse is on the web I want more goons in my feed. What's the best way to make that happen?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

EC posted:

Now that Miiverse is on the web I want more goons in my feed. What's the best way to make that happen?

Apparently still from your console. I can't see anyway to add friends through the web app. I assume that's a to-be-added feature since this is technically a beta officially.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Apparently still from your console. I can't see anyway to add friends through the web app. I assume that's a to-be-added feature since this is technically a beta officially.

Yeah playing with it some more I agree. You also can't see messages or anything, which is kind of lame.

But overall, it's a HUGE thing for Nintendo to release. The face that it's fast, works well, and doesn't look like poo poo makes me think someone else did it.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
You can't even post on communities yet, only comment on existing posts.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

EC posted:

You can add me if you want to see 50Hz/VC whinging - KirbySS.

Also Miiverse on the PC basically means even less of a reason to power my Wii U on :saddowns:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Having no E3 conference is such a bad idea. They need to get out there to show off reasons to actually buy a wii u.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Welp, thanks Miiverse on PC. Ran across the first creeper postin' suggestive "art". :psyduck: :barf:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

From the way the notes read, it seems like they'll still have E3 events, but they'll be audience-tailored; a games showcase for the public, boring investor meetings in private, etc.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012

PonchAxis posted:

Having no E3 conference is such a bad idea. They need to get out there to show off reasons to actually buy a wii u.

They're just doing things differently, They're doing a number of smaller conferences like one for distributors and one that's listed as being "Hands on" for gamespress. Sounds like they're also going to do some Nintendo Direct videos at the same time so that everyone can get region specific info.

Not to mention they are going to have a big pressence on the show floor since the new 3D Mario, Mario Kart WiiU and some other stuff are all having playable demos.

It's just more spread out rather than trying to cram everything buisness and creative into the same talk.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

PonchAxis posted:

The news will get out there regardless of there not being a conference, it's just nice to have everything concentrated into a single hour of announcements. Really if anything the Nintendo conference would've been completely shadowed by the PS4/XBOX announcements anyway so while it's disappointing it's not a huge loss.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

PonchAxis posted:

I think in the long run it's not really going to affect the information that comes out, games sites will still post a story for every single bit of news just like they do for every Nintendo Direct. It'll be covered in exactly the same way as an E3 event, just without the cost to Nintendo.

E: Yeah what Louisgod said.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

EC posted:

Yeah playing with it some more I agree. You also can't see messages or anything, which is kind of lame.

But overall, it's a HUGE thing for Nintendo to release. The face that it's fast, works well, and doesn't look like poo poo makes me think someone else did it.
They worked with Hatena:

quote:

Hatena Co., Ltd. is one of Japan's leading web service providers with over 1,000,000 registered users, that developed one of Japan's first online blogging services and operates Japan's most popular social bookmarking service.
They talked about Miiverse in this Iwata Asks from a while back:
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/miiverse/0/0

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Hey, that market share data doesn't look too bad.

Edit: thanks, crowbear. Still interesting to see changing market shares. Actual relevant image:

Edit: DS usage increased in the US? It's hard to say when only dealing with percentages. Also, poor Vita.

take_it_slow fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 25, 2013

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

take_it_slow posted:

Hey, that market share data doesn't look too bad.

Oh wait, that's the PS Vita. Where's the Wii U, then?

...Oh.

That's 2012 when the Wii U wasn't out :ssh:

The 2013 chart is the next one. It's not much better honestly :v:

e: One thing to consider about their New E3 Strategy is that the big conferences are, by far, when the mainstream press gives the video game industry the most coverage. They could be reducing their visibility with the people that still don't know that the Wii U is a new console in favor of preaching to the choice with the Directs.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 25, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Hahaha, apparently we had the same idea.

I gave it a second shot and uh

:negative:

Also, drat you for linking that one guy's Miiverse profile in the retro gaming chat. :gonk:

EDIT: Okay, I think I almost got it:

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 25, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

EC posted:

The ID thread linked at the top of the OP

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I understand what they're saying with the Nintendo Direct focus, but I still hope they at least have some kind of event time at E3. Bowing out and letting the other companies get all the hype just looks like a white flag. I guess I won't really care once all the cool poo poo gets announced via Direct, though.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
first you draw a circle

then you dooohhhHHHH GOD JESUS CHRIST

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Louisgod posted:

The news will get out there regardless of there not being a conference, it's just nice to have everything concentrated into a single hour of announcements. Really if anything the Nintendo conference would've been completely shadowed by the PS4/XBOX announcements anyway so while it's disappointing it's not a huge loss.

I guess it remains to be seen, but I'm just very worried about Nintendo's console plans this next gen.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

PonchAxis posted:

I guess it remains to be seen, but I'm just very worried about Nintendo's console plans this next gen.

Worried of what exactly? Not enough profits for investors? No new mario karts and Zelda games? Ive yet to see anything or read anything that has me worried about my 5month old console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Joink posted:

Worried of what exactly? Not enough profits for investors? No new mario karts and Zelda games? Ive yet to see anything or read anything that has me worried about my 5month old console.

Uh the severe lack of games plus horrible 3rd party support?

• Locked thread